17-Aug-2011 - Temple Trekking: Revamped

Tim

Hate how Construction's version of lumberjack comes out after im freakin 99!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you consider something else more fun: do that else and don't bother with temple trekking at all?

As I said I see this as a good update BECAUSE it offers NO better way.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

If you consider something else more fun: do that else and don't bother with temple trekking at all?

"No better way" -- to what? Waste your time on ineffectual rewards? :unsure:

nyuseg.png

I fail to see the logic.

"I want to have more fun doing C, so instead of doing A [the more fun activity], I'm gonna do B [the less fun activity]."

When does this "let's do B" mentality end? Hmm?

I know! It ends on a personal line. I'd rather spend hours Temple Trekking than any more time with construction than necessary.

Hypothetically speaking, say there was an extremely boring way of making 2m gp/hr (method A) at level 3 and a much more fun way at 1m gp/hr (method B). I'd take the second over the first, depending on how boring Method A is. Yet efficiency wise, I should disregard Method B at all costs and only do Method A, making my game much more of a job. Seriously, how fun is building oak doors or mahogany tables compared to a totally random minigame? If it means I get to enjoy one part of the game for a good bit--something I'm gonna do anyway, regardless of rewards--and another a little less, even if only 20 minutes, so what?

edit: elaborated more.

Edited by Veiva

ozXHe7P.png

Wow, some of you people are really thick. I don't think you understand what fun is. It's not supposed to be "efficient" or anything, it's supposed to be something you enjoy. This is a GAME after all.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

Wow, some of you people are really thick. I don't think you understand what fun is. It's not supposed to be "efficient" or anything, it's supposed to be something you enjoy. This is a GAME after all.

[hide]QMSu8.jpg[/hide]

The point has gone over your head.

hzvjpwS.gif

[hide]QMSu8.jpg[/hide]

The point has gone over your head.

The construction outfit is sorta a way to make up the "time lost" playing the minigame. It's not supposed to be efficient, its supposed to be for FUN. 50,000,000 hours of grinding a boring skill OR 49,999,995 hours of torture and 5 hours of a fun minigame? It's up to you, really.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

"No better way" -- to what? Waste your time on ineffectual rewards? :unsure:

Having FUN equals "waste of time"?

The whole POINT of runescape is having fun: and by providing alternative methods to gain something each person can choose the method that is for him the most fun. - THAT is good game design, not a linear game where people get scoffed for choosing something they think is more fun.

Runescape needs lots more of these updates, which don't provide real "faster xp" or "faster money" - but just alternatives, with (hopefully) compareble money/xp rates.

The new thing earns me about 500K/hour and then also gives quite a few supplies like talon beast charms (which can be counted as about 700 free summon xp) + fiyr corpses for cremation (not sure how fast prayer xp they give, but then again, they offer an alternative to house altering bones). Some rewards which are non trivial (shortcuts, xp boosts, teleports, better friends).

Though if this gets too popular I expect snakeskin to drop (and hence the hourly profit to drop too).

On topic: I wonder what the "best friend" would be:

Easy friend from burgh de-rott to patrodomus deals massive dmg - and tanks better than I do. (1 tick faster than normal whip, wielding full bandos + ddefender).

However he only yields "yellow" rewards. (So bad hourly profit).

Going on a hard route 2/3rd of the time (with a med route for the other times) with a "difficult" friend will always yield a red-reward.

A red reward (on herbs) seems to give snap dragons, lantadyme, dwarf weed or torstol. Each with equal chance. Also the number (range 2-7) seem to be equally distributed.

So on average you get 1 snap, lantadyme dwarf weed and torstol a trip.

Then they came for me

I don't get why the construction outfit looks the way it does? Why does looking like you are wearing desert garb have anything to do with construction.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Runescape needs lots more of these updates, which don't provide real "faster xp" or "faster money" - but just alternatives, with (hopefully) compareble money/xp rates.

Thing is, it isn't comparable.

Also, to the whole "fun" debacle:

20 minutes saved by 5 hours of temple trekking

Meaning, if you just spend those 20 minutes, and do an activity you find more fun than temple trekking for the remaining 4:40 hours, you'll end up having more fun than if you had spent the 5 hours trekking.

This meaning, of course, that unless temple trekking is THE way to have fun for you, then it's useless to play it in order to grab the construction outfit.

crossed_body.png

I know it wasn't directed to me, but I would like to take Blyaunte's quiz too...

Say you're going to power-level construction, and you've decided that you want to obtain the specialized clothing for that whopping 2.4% boost in construction.

Now – let me ask you the following questions:

How much time would it take you, doing Temple Trekking, to obtain the specific items required to get the whole 2.4% boost?

Would it take more than the 20 minutes to obtain those items doing Temple Trekking, than it'll take you in just straight-forward power-levelling?

Would it cost you more than the materials required to obtain that final 288k xp than it would in food, potions and equipment to do that last 20 minute 288k rush during power-levelling?

Is there something else – some other activity, either in-game or IRL – that you'd RATHER be doing, that you'd enjoy doing more than Temple Trekking, than spending that additional time Temple Trekking to get those items that really serve no purpose whatsoever?

Would that "something else" be more "fun" than doing Temple Trekking?

:rolleyes:

Answering yes to ANY of the above questions, proves my point: the update is "mostly useless" ...

Firstly:

You forgot that in the time that you get the new construction clothes, you will probably also get full lumberjack. + a handy teleport + the infinite pouch thingy + talon beast charms + a whole bunch of either xp or herbs + other stuff.

But that aside.

How much time would it take you, doing Temple Trekking, to obtain the specific items required to get the whole 2.4% boost?

Around 8 hours to get almost all of the rewards.

Would it take more than the 20 minutes to obtain those items doing Temple Trekking, than it'll take you in just straight-forward power-levelling?

Yup, it would. Captain obvious here. :wink:

Would it cost you more than the materials required to obtain that final 288k xp than it would in food, potions and equipment to do that last 20 minute 288k rush during power-levelling?

No it wouldn't. If you actually played the content, you would know that you gain coins by doing temple trekking. + free xp in summoning/construction/woodcutting/...

Is there something else – some other activity, either in-game or IRL – that you'd RATHER be doing, that you'd enjoy doing more than Temple Trekking, than spending that additional time Temple Trekking to get those items that really serve no purpose whatsoever?

Not really.

I remember the time I grinded my last 288k construction xp though, I would have loved doing something else at that time. Especially since 99 construction serves no purpose whatsoever beyond a cosmetic reward. :-?

Since I answered no on the previous question, this question is invalid imo.

Answering yes to ANY of the above questions, proves my point: the update is "mostly useless" ...

So because obtaining Constructor's outfit would take me around 7,5 hours longer than powerlevelling 288k construction xp this update is mostly useless...

You can't make me understand it either, I don't see the logic in that. #-o

Every update must make the xp/hour better, gain more money than the best moneymakers ingame atm or it is 'mostly useless'. Weird view on game updates.

Is there something else some other activity, either in-game or IRL that you'd RATHER be doing, that you'd enjoy doing more than Temple Trekking, than spending that additional time Temple Trekking to get those items that really serve no purpose whatsoever?

Not really.

That's... kinda sad actually.

crossed_body.png

Meaning, if you just spend those 20 minutes, and do an activity you find more fun than temple trekking for the remaining 4:40 hours, you'll end up having more fun than if you had spent the 5 hours trekking.

This meaning, of course, that unless temple trekking is THE way to have fun for you, then it's useless to play it in order to grab the construction outfit.

I can try to relate to your point, but these kind of updates well keep me personally hooked on RS.

In my eyes it is fun to do, not grindy whatsoever and gives a neat reward at the end: teleport to mort'ton which makes my future barrow-trips more enjoyable.

Read as: It is enjoyable to get the reward and will make my RS-time afterwards more enjoyable. = WIN-update for me.

I can try to relate to your point, but these kind of updates well keep me personally hooked on RS.

In my eyes it is fun to do, not grindy whatsoever and gives a neat reward at the end: teleport to mort'ton which makes my future barrow-trips more enjoyable.

Read as: It is enjoyable to get the reward and will make my RS-time afterwards more enjoyable. = WIN-update for me.

It is fun. But it is also grindy. You end up doing the same events over and over, killing the same enemies over and over. All to level up some characters that don't matter for prizes that are minor.

It's comparable to slayer, really.

crossed_body.png

no, you don't understand a "game" do you:

Gaming isn't about "more" or "less" fun:

it's about avoiding boredom. So if I have to do 15 minutes of a terrible boring thing and then 4 hours a very fun thing - or 5 hours a "just fun" thing - I rather do that 5 hours of "just fun". - More fun is when you go drinking with friends anyways. I'm not playing rs to achieve much fun, I play it to beat boredom. - So anything that prevents me from doing something repetitive is amazing.

Then they came for me

Not really.

Excuse me?

We are both playing the same game, we are on a fansite of that game but we can't speak up loud we enjoy playing the game? That is sad to me...

It is fun. But it is also grindy. You end up doing the same events over and over, killing the same enemies over and over. All to level up some characters that don't matter for prizes that are minor.

You sir, just described Runescape!

EDIT: love your siggy pulli23! :wink:

The point here is obviously to spend as little time as possible playing RS. More efficient = Less time on RS.

So by not playing RS, you're being the most efficient.

Is there something else some other activity, either in-game or IRL that you'd RATHER be doing, that you'd enjoy doing more than Temple Trekking, than spending that additional time Temple Trekking to get those items that really serve no purpose whatsoever?

Not really.

Excuse me?

We are both playing the same game, we are on a fansite of that game but we can't speak up loud we enjoy playing the game? That is sad to me...

You sir, just described Runescape!

EDIT: love your siggy pulli23! :wink:

Funny how you get called sad for having so much fun doing something.

Ironic that the person that says it is on a fansite for that game.

O well as long as i get my fun.

Me and the wise old man go way back.... he was a foolish boy back then.

My crystal armour idea.

At the moment Temple Trekking is "something new" so most people have their brain overload and they gain the temporary ability to enjoy it much more than any other activity in RS. In another few days they are going to come to their senses, wonder why they were doing the same activity for so long, and never go back.

but while they're addicted, they may as well try to get the bonus XP outfits, seeing as they aren't losing anything.

flere_imsaho.png

As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapabale of solving approaches zero.

Ensure you are not a social situation.

Unlocked my Burgh de Rott teleport. :thumbup: Not sure if I'm going to go for the Ghast familiar, considering how slow the 2 hard guys level. I have the easy and medium diffuculty npcs 99'ed alread.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

Unlocked my Burgh de Rott teleport. :thumbup: Not sure if I'm going to go for the Ghast familiar, considering how slow the 2 hard guys level. I have the easy and medium diffuculty npcs 99'ed alread.

Same here, I think I'll just wait until if someone finds a good use for ghasts, and/or an easy way to train those hard followbies.

hvXho.png

99+ all 23rd March 2012 - 2496 total 13th June 2012.

9000+ dragon drops! Including draconic visage, d chains, d spears, d2h, d claws, d meds, d legs, d skirts... d bones, d hides :)?

w85p2012-1.png

I want jagex to put resource dungeons and dungeoneering skill doors to dungeoneering floors so I can dungeon and get dungeoneering xp while I dg so I don't have to dg to get dg exp, but I can dg while I dg :)?