Behind The Scenes � January

Mil

http://services.runescape.com/m=news/g=runescape/behind-the-scenes--january

The random gift boxes are opened, the decorations are going back in the dungeon and way too much chompy bird has been eaten. After dreaming that our Christmas crackers and party hats were digital rather than paper, we're ready for another year of quality updates from RuneScape!

Once again, were committed to bring you a mix of brand new content as well as reworks and total redesigns of some of the older parts of the game... starting with the Barrows!

Barrows Graphical Rework

Sliske and his merry cursed band of wights might be old and mouldy, but they don't need to look old and mouldy... well, maybe a bit. Coming very soon is a graphical revamp of the ever-popular Barrows. First off, you'll notice improvements to the burial mounds and murky mist swirling about you. Break into the earth and you'll no longer be greeted with a grey, dusty tomb, but an ominous catacomb complete with gloomy lighting; macabre masonry; creepily detailed sarcophagi and glowing magical inscriptions. Finally, the brothers themselves are no longer just purple shades, but look like the burly, brutal bad-boys they were in life! The worn versions of the Barrows armour and weapons have also been updated, making them some of the best-looking gear in game!

To celebrate, there'll be a chance to find loot not previously available in the Barrows, such as a draconic visage, as well as a chance for double drops, for a whole week after launch!

peMki.gif

The Firemaker's Curse

8LXv8.gif In this quest, aimed at high-level firemakers, you'll join a rag-tag group of fire fans as they delve deeply in search of secrets of firemaking. Lead the way through a new dungeon, using your skill and dexterity to protect them from a fiery foe who's anything but warm and fuzzy! This entity is bitter, angry, and able to possess intruders in her underground lair, driving them to acts of murder, so you'll have to decide who you think is possessed in order to protect the rest of the group.

While you'll need to be tough to survive, this isn't an enemy that you can face with swords, spells or arrows. This is a quest about using your ingenuity and judgement to find a way out of a bad situation. Make it through, and you'll unlock a new Firemaking training method, two Firemaking events in the circus, and one (at a time) of four toasty new pets.

Finally, this quest features Sera – the winning character from our recent Guaranteed Content Poll!

Requirements:

• Available to members only.
  • Level 90 Firemaking
  • Level 76 Constitution
  • Level 64 Agility

Hati and Skoll

DxoYS.gif This month will see the return of Hati Wolf, as well as her sun-munching brother Skoll. The Fremennik are whispering fearfully of the return of Hati and the arrival of Skoll, and need all the help they can get. There'll more chances to fight Hati for the Combat XP boosting gloves, if you didn't get them last year, as well as a recharge if you did. You'll also face Hati's brother, Skoll, earning you a set of boots that boost Agility or Woodcutting XP gain for a set time. You can also get the cosmetic headgear from Hati if you missed it last time, and there's a new cosmetic cloak from Skoll to keep you warm.

Troll Warzone

Finally, we're closing the month with an overhaul of Burthorpe. This is designed to take newly-minted members through the their new skills, but it's worth taking a tour even if you're a veteran. There are massive graphical improvements; an awesomely cute baby troll pet who really is what he eats; improved versions of Death Plateau, Wolf Whistle and Druidic Ritual, which can be replayed even if you've completed the originals; and a new quest called Let Them Eat Pie where a particularly unpleasant war profiteer gets his just deserts...so to speak.

Along with improvements to the Skill Guide and other interface improvements, 2012 is already looking good.

Happy New Year!

Mod Mark

RuneScape Lead Designer

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To celebrate, therell be a chance to find loot not previously available in the Barrows, such as a draconic visage, as well as a chance for double drops, for a whole week after launch!

more double drops from barrows :)

Glacors Drops - 33 shards.

Armadyl Drops - 1 Chestplate. 1 Hilt. 2 gloves . 2 Skirts.

Tdc.png

90 Firemaking.

obama-not-bad-l.png

Past that, looking good. I always love graphical updates, and from the Media section, they look awesome. Plus I love free exp and new quests.

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

Nice month, waiting eagerly for everything except the graphical updates. Also, first time in four years when I have to level up to be able to finish a quest.

Pirkka.png

40,919th person to access Turmoil. 21,559th person to access Overloads.

signatureteksti.png

Are there any hidden bonuses here?

No bonuses

Looking forward to this month, sounds very nice overall.

Also I think visage via barrows can fit lore Sliske is a collector of powerful beings no?

Dragons are powerful.

He could of easily got a few visages in his loot piles hidden away in the tombs.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Visage at Barrows?

The madness..

Elricedward.png
Barrows Items: 1x Dharok's Platelegs, 1x Veracs's Plateskirt, 1x Dharok's Greataxe, 2x Torag's Platelegs, 1x Akrisae's War Mace, 1x Ahrim's Robeskirt, 3x Akrisae's Robetop, 1x Guthan's Warspear, 1x Akrisae's Robeskirt, 1x Torag's Helm, 2x Verac's Brassard, 1x Karil's Pistol Crossbow

Does like.

Barrows should be fun that update should be released tomorrow? :twss:

Glad I just stocked 50k blood and death runes also. :D

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

Bad timing for me, I needed to re-buy my Barrow sets (minus Ahrims, got Gano for that) and they're already been snatched up by grubblies.

Lol people buying them up?

How stupid!

It's only a graphical rework its gonna do sod all to actual demand for the armours as the stats won't change AND given influx of ppl checking it out, especially with double loot week supply is gonna rise anyway so prices should drop.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I like the high stat requirement for myself, it gives me hope I might one day have to train up for a quest requirement again. But I hope it won't put the quest cape too far out of reach if they continue this trend.

The rest of the month looks good and solid.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Interesting month... Pity they're not packing the punch they once did - like last year was the release of Nex, the year before was Nomad.... But ah well, first good BTS in a while.

Graphical rework sounds good.

Quest sounds awesome and I'm happy it's something I have to train for for once.

Hati and Skoll - I was wondering when Hati would make her appearance :D But Skoll sounds cool with the agility exp.

Troll Warzone sounds interesting along with the quest reworks, but eh.

Also where is the BTS for 2012 as a whole? :S

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

I actually DO have to train for this one. 2 levels iirc.

Kudos. Just don't try the same thing with Agility or RC or you'll have a walkout on your hands.

So actually two quests this month. But the 2nd one isn't important enough for its own blurb. Hmm...

Glad they'll have quest replays this time though.

@Barrows,

Hope they don't actually use the RuneFest concept art, or for that matter, the other set we saw some years ago. But hope doesn't go very far with this company.

Receiving Visages from Barrows sounds utterly retarded; if not for simply having no place there, because they're in ample supply already, and the given weapons are all 2-handed. They should add Glacor boots instead, since it's only for 2 weeks, those need some price adjustment, and they're effectively the "step up" from Dragon Boots. Or, you know, they could just have Barrows boots, an in-between for Dragon/Glacor. Perhaps they could cover all 3 combat styles but be degradable and still lesser to Glacor pairs.

BUT HEY, we're already talking about something that could be coming in a day or two. No point in suggestions now!

2dgucz6.png

Kudos. Just don't try the same thing with Agility or RC or you'll have a walkout on your hands.

So actually two quests this month. But the 2nd one isn't important enough for its own blurb. Hmm...

5 quests really if you count the replays! I'm guessing they must be dramatically altered to warrant replays and possibly more rewards.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

It seems kinda silly to add a drop intended for dragons into a non-dragon source.

Other that that, 9/10 for this month. I got a few barrow pieces on me so I can see new look first hand, the firemaker's quest will be great, and I love how Hati is returning with Skoll. It sucks people are hoarding up the barrow item pieces immediately, but people will realize it's just a graphics update later. Might actually barrow hunt a bit that week.

EDIT: Is it just me or was the last time we got a legitimate quest was in October/November? It feels like its been forever since I had a quest to do. Glad I make the requirements for this quest at least.

Requirements:

• Level 90 Firemaking
  • Level 76 Constitution
  • Level 64 Agility

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

xcsx7c.png | 3gliP.jpg | 51y5tv.png  |  8mO5K.jpg

A Blog to Bathtubs for Beginners
Quest Cape | 99 Defence Achieved 11-Jul-2011 17:41 | 99 Prayer 11-Jul-2012 | 99 Constitution 02-Aug-2012

99 Attack 31/10/2012 | 99 Dungeoneering 31/10/2012 | 99 Strength 31/10/2012 | 99 Magic 2/12/2012

99 Range 16/12/2012 | 99 Herblore 25/12/2012 | 99 Summoning 4/1/2013 | 99 Firemaking 6/3/2013

99 Farming 10/4/2013 | 99 Slayer 11/7/2013 | 99 Fletching 21/8/2013  |  99 Smithing 22/8/2013 

99 Crafting 19/12/2013  |  99 Cooking 15/1/2014  |  99 Agility 25/1/2014  |  99 Thieving 01/02/2014

99 Construction 21/04/2014  |  99 Woodcutting 04/03/2014  |  99 Fishing 17/04/2014  |  99 Mining 23/07/2015

99 Divination 27/07/2015  |  99 Runecrafting 20/08/2015  |  99 Hunter 20/08/2015  | Maxed 20/08/2015

Requirements:

• Level 90 Firemaking
  • Level 76 Constitution
  • Level 64 Agility

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Once you can burn curly roots, it won't be difficult to get 90, but I expect people will swarm that place for awhile.

I am fascinated this is the first quest with a 90+ requirement.

Quest replays? Did I miss something in the bts?

Quest replays? Did I miss something in the bts?

Yes you did.

Finally, we're closing the month with an overhaul of Burthorpe. This is designed to take newly-minted members through the their new skills, but it's worth taking a tour even if you're a veteran. There are massive graphical improvements; an awesomely cute baby troll pet who really is what he eats; improved versions of Death Plateau, Wolf Whistle and Druidic Ritual, which can be replayed even if you've completed the originals;

hzvjpwS.gif