Behind The Scenes � January

Mil

I agree with the notion that FM is essentially useless to train. You train primarily to train it faster. Along with fletching, it is one of the most useless skills for the actual utility it brings.

I can't really see why people are excited that there's a high req for FMing. I have for a long time held the strong belief that Jagex should really update skills so that they have something for the player other than quest requirements, training methods, and small uses in Dungeoneering. Adding a high requirement for a skill in a quest seems like a very contrived way of making a skill seem more useful.

High level FM is only used for getting the adze, which is really just for training WC/FMing faster (It's not even a utility item since toolbelt came out), and preventing HC explosions, which isn't even a good guarantee at 99 FMing.

As for the Barrows updates, I really hope they update set effects. Karil and Torag are basically useless, Ahrim and Guthan are largely outdated, Akrisae and Verac are very situational, leaving Dharok as the set effect people really ever use.

They said the quest would unlock new 90+ firemaking methods and some cosmetic reasons to train.

Also, they've tried to make the skill handy in the past with shade burning, pyre logs, and cave lighting. Not much, but they have had a go.

The problem is that with firemaking, it was pretty useless from the start. A lot of the skills now considered useless to train now(e.g smithing) had tons of use in that past. Firemaking had only one single use that you didn't need a particular high level for, and even that was relatively quickly removed with stoves. They practically would have to rewrite the whole skill to make it useful.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I have to ask, do we really need another way of training firemaking? We already have a 300k/h method which immediately puts it amongst the faster skills in the game and this 300k method is also free, which cannot be said of a lot of the other skills with high rates of training. The only thing a faster training method would really bring is a faster level 99 and more time with that sort of empty joy of knowing that your HC now has the lowest chance of blowing up.

I just want them to update skills so they reward players with something other than more methods of training, quest reqs, and small uses in dungeoneering.

Two really good updates to skills were Herblore Habitat and looking a little further back, Extremes/Ovls. These updates gave players access to very useful and exclusive content that could only be accessed with those levels. One helped out with skilling in a decent way and utilized hunting (with a smidgen of farming and cons); the other made a very large impact on combat and utilized herblore.

One update I thought was bit of a flop was crafting urns. Just about anyone could make them as a lot of even the better ones didn't have very high requirements and they were also tradeable. You didn't really feel good about training up crafting that much since you could just buy the urns (although now with bot nuke it's somewhat more useful that you can make them yourself).

I still find firemaking useful for the handcannon. But that's a very limited use that won't appeal to many people (and ranging really sucks atm, with polypore as competitor). Firemaking could be useful in smithing, cooking, perhaps herblore (smoked ingredients?) and you could involve it in mining even (use fire to crack rocks? idk). All that has potential, part of creating equipment, food, potions and obtaining ores that do not focus on xp at all.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

The prospect of smoked salmon and other various meats sounds delicious. The current FM tie in with cooking fairly weak and it's only in dungeoneering.

I could also see some cosmetic (maybe even actual enhancers) for weapons/armour to make them look cooler or provide nice effects (immunity to stat lowering in freezing locations).

Two other skills I feel are very outdated are fletching and smithing. Their very concept and design are incredibly outdated in the current game and now primarily serve very small niches in dungeoneering.

Smithing has the unfortunate situation of mainly creating armour that is far surpassed by newer additions that cannot be smithed. Sure you can get a bit of a discount on repairing barrows, Nex gear, etc, but that feels even less useful than HC explosion reduction.

Fletching falls into a similar fate. Most bows and xbows are outdated and some of the best ranged weapons (chaotic crossbow, Zaryte(?), and HC) all have basically no connection with fletching. Combine that with market flooding (meaning the few ranged weapons made through fletching people use are in huge supply) due to low cost and high xp rate training and you essentially the most useless skill in the game.

I just about shit myself when I read the level req for the quest. If your going to make a req that high, can we please do it in a skill that is actually useful? I cook on a range, and I already have 99 wc so I have no use for an adze. The firemaking skill is probably the skill I could do without the easiest. [bleep].

On the other hand, its easy enough to train, though there is going to be a metric [bleep] ton of wood cutting in my future since I'm sure log prices are going to skyrocket (also, I don't think I will ever be so out of it that I would consider spending a dime on firemaking). I'm already 80, so I only have to double my xp in the skill plus a bit :angry:

This will also make firemaking my second highest skill (after 6 99's). Currently my highest after 99 is 85. Other than that, it looks good, but this is a real killjoy for me.

Either the quest cape will go on hold, or my agility training will. Oh well, I will survive.

BRING ON THE PAIN!

I still find firemaking useful for the handcannon. But that's a very limited use that won't appeal to many people (and ranging really sucks atm, with polypore as competitor). Firemaking could be useful in smithing, cooking, perhaps herblore (smoked ingredients?) and you could involve it in mining even (use fire to crack rocks? idk). All that has potential, part of creating equipment, food, potions and obtaining ores that do not focus on xp at all.

The Hand Cannon part is certainly appealing, but I find it extremely stupid that at level 99 FM the hand cannon still breaks.

It is one of the primary reasons why I never use the Hand Cannon, I hate having it break on me at the worst time possible.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

Sounds like a fun month, although I do not approve of 2 quests. D: I hate doing quests and I don't want to lose my comp cape for a few hours. :(

Barrows should be fun. Double drop and chance of a visage (which is so very, very random, but okay) is pretty awesome.

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

it takes like 4 days to get 90 fm, whats all the fuss

I don't get it either. People always [bleep] and moan that the quest cape needs higher skill reqs then when we get them everyone rages.

I mean honestly, did anyone REALLY think that we were going to get quests with 90+ Runecrafting or Slayer requirements? Firemaking may be a piss poor excuse for a skill but it's also one of the fastest and easiest ones to level.

Sylpheed.png

Well, I'm glad I did 92 FM during the last BXP.

Visage at barrows = wtf.

Hati and Skoll should be separated. (Hati in winter Skoll in summer)

Hati is supposed to be a male.

93959819.png

Leaaf.png

I don't get it either. People always [bleep] and moan that the quest cape needs higher skill reqs then when we get them everyone rages.

I mean honestly, did anyone REALLY think that we were going to get quests with 90+ Runecrafting or Slayer requirements? Firemaking may be a piss poor excuse for a skill but it's also one of the fastest and easiest ones to level.

We're complaining because of the size of the jump. 75 to 80 isn't much. 80 to 90 (General) or 71 to 90 (Just Firemaking) is.

If you want to wear the quest cape, get 90 firemaking.

If you don't want to get 90 firemaking, don't complain about not being able to wear the cape.

Problem solved.

OT: I'm looking forward to this month. Might try double-loot barrows. Definitely looking forward to training ranged with agility with the bonus XP though.

Trollbomber.png

Anyone excited at the idea that people will be able to replay quests? This has been a very old request. Although it's limited at the moment to those three listed, it's an indication that soon people can replay quests at will. Here's hoping :thumbsup:

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Have people not heard of the jadinko lair?? Once you get to 83 (easy in any skill with rates greater than 100k-200k an hr) you get a less-click, high xp, free way to train firemaking. Basically there is no reason to worry about getting 90.. jadinko lair can also have the ability to give ugune seeds for juju farming potions. Win-win-win-win.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Seriously 90 firemaking (and 76 construction which is not too difficult)? I'm still working on RotM. Damn it Jagex why do you make things so complicated for me...

76 constitution, not construction

(why couldn't they just keep the skill as hitpoints..)

OH MY GOD. How did I make that mistake? That's 1 less skill I have to worry about then.

I just about shit myself when I read the level req for the quest. If your going to make a req that high, can we please do it in a skill that is actually useful? I cook on a range, and I already have 99 wc so I have no use for an adze. The firemaking skill is probably the skill I could do without the easiest. [bleep].

Maybe that'll change with this quest?

howlin1eeveesig.png

Maybe that'll change with this quest?

There have been rumours of a new use to fm for a while; I think jmods even said it was in the works.

But I hope this quest isn't intended to make it "useful" after all the new training method it unlocks is hardly going to revolutionise the entire skill if its only 90+

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I am not a quester at all, LOL. So eventually someday I'll get there.

I do sort of take exception however to the whole Draconic Visage in Barrows thing. My entire experience in RS, has been hoping and praying for one of these beauties to drop from a dragon. With the levels and equipment I have now, Barrows is a cakewalk, as it is for most people. Between double loot and the sheer number of people who will go to Barrows, there are going to be a lot of these dropping. But it isn't even about prices. I just feel the whole experience is cheapened to have it drop from Barrows rather than a dragon. Does that make sense?

Maybe I am just biased, as I have never had a visage drop in 18m Slayer XP.

I am not a quester at all, LOL. So eventually someday I'll get there.

I do sort of take exception however to the whole Draconic Visage in Barrows thing. My entire experience in RS, has been hoping and praying for one of these beauties to drop from a dragon. With the levels and equipment I have now, Barrows is a cakewalk, as it is for most people. Between double loot and the sheer number of people who will go to Barrows, there are going to be a lot of these dropping. But it isn't even about prices. I just feel the whole experience is cheapened to have it drop from Barrows rather than a dragon. Does that make sense?

Maybe I am just biased, as I have never had a visage drop in 18m Slayer XP.

Don't count your chickens before they've dropped Draconic Visages. People went nuts when the Dragon Chain was added to the Dust Devil drop table, but Jagex offset the ease of killing Dust Devils by giving it a dramatically lower drop rate.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png