Behind The Scenes � January

Mil

Looks like a good month.

The 90 Firemaking requirement looks promising to me. Even though I already have the level, having high requirements encourages me to train skills just for the quest requirements.

j0xPu5R.png

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Firemaking requirement is the biggest surprise for me, hopefully we will have such high requirements in the future. 90 fishing anyone? Gives me a motivation to train that dreadful skill.

While you'll need to be tough to survive, this isn't an enemy that you can face with swords, spells or arrows. This is a quest about using your ingenuity and judgement to find a way out of a bad situation.

:thumbsup:

It is the month of twos it seems: 2x quests, 2x reworks, 2x drops, and 2x xp.

Working on max and completionist capes.

2435/2475

Really? 90? They couldn't have picked a skill that was worth training?

Firemaking is worth training! Halfway to 99 you can get an adze which will... speed up training woodcutting and firemaking together!

They picked firemaking because it has a good xp rate for free starting at level 83 and up to that it's also fast and cheap. I don't see any quests with 90+ runecrafting or prayer requirements showing up anytme soon.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Firemaking is worth training! Halfway to 99 you can get an adze which will... speed up training woodcutting and firemaking together!

They picked firemaking because it has a good xp rate for free starting at level 83 and up to that it's also fast and cheap. I don't see any quests with 90+ runecrafting or prayer requirements showing up anytme soon.

But until then, FM is one of the skills people point to when they complain about grinding in RS. There are virtually no rewards outside of faster ways to train it until then, and even those stop showing up in the mid 80s. It's probably more self-contained than dungeoneering.

Plus, the highest quest requirement just did a 10 level jump. That's a bit extreme, especially after they cited accessibility as the reason for making Salt in the Wound terrible (Or at least, after they frequently threw that word around in relation to it).

But until then, FM is one of the skills people point to when they complain about grinding in RS. There are virtually no rewards outside of faster ways to train it until then, and even those stop showing up in the mid 80s. It's probably more self-contained than dungeoneering.

Plus, the highest quest requirement just did a 10 level jump. That's a bit extreme, especially after they cited accessibility as the reason for making Salt in the Wound terrible (Or at least, after they frequently threw that word around in relation to it).

It just encourages you to train it then.

j0xPu5R.png

While you'll need to be tough to survive, this isn't an enemy that you can face with swords, spells or arrows. This is a quest about using your ingenuity and judgement to find a way out of a bad situation.

:thumbsup:

It is the month of twos it seems: 2x quests, 2x reworks, 2x drops, and 2x xp.

3x reworks.. Death Plateau, Wolf Whistle and Druidic Ritual.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I actually DO have to train for this one. 2 levels iirc.

Kudos. Just don't try the same thing with Agility or RC or you'll have a walkout on your hands.

So actually two quests this month. But the 2nd one isn't important enough for its own blurb. Hmm...

Glad they'll have quest replays this time though.

Quest replays? Did I miss something in the bts?

Yes you did.

Finally, we're closing the month with an overhaul of Burthorpe. This is designed to take newly-minted members through the their new skills, but it's worth taking a tour even if you're a veteran. There are massive graphical improvements; an awesomely cute baby troll pet who really is what he eats; improved versions of Death Plateau, Wolf Whistle and Druidic Ritual, which can be replayed even if you've completed the originals;

I've read through the bts again before asking but I somehow missed it again :P

Yes, 10 levels and 3,3 mil exp. That is around 2,69 times higher that previous requirement when you compare required exp. That is pretty big jump. At least FM is fast and cheap to train.

Can we soon get trimmed quest cape, since accuring q cape is soon going to need more exp than 2 accomplishment capes?

Tsukaji.png

I've read through the bts again before asking but I somehow missed it again :P

Happens to me alllllllll the time. :P I actually thought you'd lose coins in your money pouch if you died in the wilderness because I misread it and missed the explanation. D'oh.

hzvjpwS.gif

Firemaking's like the best skill! Not even being sarcastic. :)

Looking forward to doing the quest. Hope it gives a nice firemaking reward.

Not sure about the visages in barrow's chests .. unless I get one of course! :shades:

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

Looking forward to the new visuals in the Barrows area, reckon I'll head back there for a bit for the double drops. Visage seems a bit random, and I agree the boots from Glacors should probably have been put there if anything.

Asmodean <3

It would have been better to overhaul the FM skill before slapping a 90 req on a quest. FM is pointless and boring, and if it wasn't for diaries and fancy capes I wouldn't bother.

2480+ total

I agree with the notion that FM is essentially useless to train. You train primarily to train it faster. Along with fletching, it is one of the most useless skills for the actual utility it brings.

I can't really see why people are excited that there's a high req for FMing. I have for a long time held the strong belief that Jagex should really update skills so that they have something for the player other than quest requirements, training methods, and small uses in Dungeoneering. Adding a high requirement for a skill in a quest seems like a very contrived way of making a skill seem more useful.

High level FM is only used for getting the adze, which is really just for training WC/FMing faster (It's not even a utility item since toolbelt came out), and preventing HC explosions, which isn't even a good guarantee at 99 FMing.

As for the Barrows updates, I really hope they update set effects. Karil and Torag are basically useless, Ahrim and Guthan are largely outdated, Akrisae and Verac are very situational, leaving Dharok as the set effect people really ever use.

I agree with the notion that FM is essentially useless to train. You train primarily to train it faster. Along with fletching, it is one of the most useless skills for the actual utility it brings.

I can't really see why people are excited that there's a high req for FMing. I have for a long time held the strong belief that Jagex should really update skills so that they have something for the player other than quest requirements, training methods, and small uses in Dungeoneering. Adding a high requirement for a skill in a quest seems like a very contrived way of making a skill seem more useful.

High level FM is only used for getting the adze, which is really just for training WC/FMing faster (It's not even a utility item since toolbelt came out), and preventing HC explosions, which isn't even a good guarantee at 99 FMing.

As for the Barrows updates, I really hope they update set effects. Karil and Torag are basically useless, Ahrim and Guthan are largely outdated, Akrisae and Verac are very situational, leaving Dharok as the set effect people really ever use.

They said the quest would unlock new 90+ firemaking methods and some cosmetic reasons to train.

Also, they've tried to make the skill handy in the past with shade burning, pyre logs, and cave lighting. Not much, but they have had a go.

I'm not an efficienado.