Behind the Scenes - March

BloodAngel

Clan Fealty

First up, we’re making some changes to resource gathering within clan citadels. After extensive discussion with our most proficient clans, it was clear that you needed more tools and more rewards when investing precious adventuring time in your citadel. So, from this month, you’ll be able to gain access to new clan fealty capes, which will earn you more XP when contributing to your clan’s resources, granting weekly XP lamps to the truly diligent. We’ve also made a series of improvements to the skill plots themselves and added some admin tools that clan leaders can use to keep an eye on how their clan is contributing to the stockpiles.

Bonus XP Weekend

Yes, Bonus XP Weekend returns on the 16th of March 2012, so start filling your vials, carving your planks and prepping the contents of your bank for a weekend-long XP fest. Don’t forget that your XP bonus affects almost all the repeatable, skill-based content in the game, is game-time-limited, and starts at a whopping 2.7x your normal XP rates! So, for example, if you’re used to getting 100 XP for fishing swordies you’ll actually gain 270xp for a single fish. While the rate will slowly go down over about 8 hours, you’ll receive a bonus for any skill-based activity you perform over the weekend. For further information on previous XP weekends, click here.

Player Armour (Free and Members)

It’s our biggest equipment rework ever, featuring over 200 visually improved pieces of combat equipment covering a whole range of levels and combat styles for both male and female combatants! If you wear armour or wield a shield while engaging with your enemies, it’s probably being updated:

Warriors will see new, unique styles for armour sets all the way from black/white right up to dragon, and including Torva and Bandos armour. There are also new looks for the warrior, berserker and Neitiznot helms, the barbarian assault fighter’s torso and Varrock platebody.

Rangers get studded leather, regular and blessed dragonhide and Armadyl sets, as well as the Robin Hood hat and Ava’s equipment.

Mage gear updated includes all mystic robes, enchanted robes, infinity robes of all hues and Zuriel’s set.

We’ve reworked the Void Knight gear and Slayer helmet.

As part of our ongoing equipment rework, we’ve really tried to show the difference in defensive quality as the skill requirements rise. As seen in the Troll Warzone update, each set has an individual style, but it also adds genuine variety to the various trimmed, blessed and minigame-specific gear you’ll encounter while exploring the many facets of the game. Even the god-aligned equipment features its own unique touches, often influenced by your feedback in the forums, and from RuneFest, where we first showcased the amazing images of the improved dragon gear.

New Loyalty Rewards

Our newest loyalty batch offers a wealth of new rewards, including tier 4 versions of existing auras, a new set of Guthix-themed winged auras and several new emotes, including one upgrade option. Unleash your ’inner power’ or take your ROFL to new heights in the ROFLcopter! We’re also introducing a new aura that speeds up special attack recovery and new ’race’ costumes to let you look more like an elf or a werewolf. ROAR!

Bakriminel Bolts

Mami Rimba (friend of Papa Mambo) has set up shop just outside Edgeville. She’s every bit as mad as Papa but has delved into some seriously dark mojo. She’s tapped into the power of the bloodwood tree, which grows only in places of bloodshed, such as the Wilderness, to craft a bolt that punishes mages. The bolts must be fired from a rune or chaotic crossbow, and they have powerful stats (125 ranged strength – with a Ranged requirement of 80). When used in PVP against those of a magical persuasion, they have additional benefits, including the ability to target specific areas of the body, with mighty special attacks, depending on whether you're aiming at the head, torso or legs!

To make these bolts, you must purchase bolt tips from Mami and head into one of the blood-soaked regions where a bloodwood tree can be found. Fletching of the bolts must be performed at the tree and will require 85 Woodcutting and 93 Fletching.

Gnome Graphical Rework

This month, our short green friends are going to receive a grand makeover, courtesy of Mod GFX and his team. All the gnome characters, chat heads and environments are being reworked, including both the Grand Tree and the Stronghold. Some awesome new lighting effects and stylised wooden architecture bring a fresh look to the arboreal domains of Bolren and Narnode Shareen. Getting everything upgraded has been gnome mean feat!

[hide]xc0thi.jpg[/hide]

Transport and Navigation (Free and Members)

No runes? No problem!

A brand new Transport & Navigation system will be added this month, designed to make Gielinor more easily navigable via magical gatestones. This ancient and mystical system will allow travel around a wide range of popular RuneScape cities, towns and locations including Edgeville and Lunar Isle.

While there are no real level requirements to use the system, each gatestone has to be discovered in order to be activated and can be accessed via a new ’home teleport‘ menu from the Home Teleport spell slot.

Morytania Task Set + Early Bird Bonus

Finally this month, we’re introducing our latest Task Set, this time based in the dark, desolate lands of Morytania. You’ll be able to complete sets of Tasks which range from Easy to Elite levels of difficulty, which will encourage you to make snelms, activate medallions, slay barrow wights, and brew your own prayer renewal potions.

Tasks are all well and good, but it’s the rewards - including new leg armour - that really interest a fearless traveller. Fancy halving your prayer drain while in the Barrows? How about increasing your trekking rewards and your mushroom yields from patches? All that plus more, and over 150k in XP lamps! For those who are really keen, we’ll even add an Early Bird Bonus (worth 15k) for anyone who completes the Easy and Medium lists within the first 2 weeks of launch.

We’re also planning a machinima contest to run alongside our latest Morytania addition. More information to come!

Have fun!

Mod Mark

Lead Designer

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yays new tasks :D

Leg armour for outfit <3 No more having to wear Agile Legs! :D

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

New look for armous=Good

Race costumes=Interesting

New task set= AWESOME...and I will be able to get those early bird reward XP mauahaha!! (I hope)

Also Bonus XP WEEKEND!! Oh Yeah

Dusk%20Soul.png

Seems like a great month :) Armour updates, transport stuff, bonus xp weekend, and more tasks. I like it! Race costumes could be cool too.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Curious.. Its lagging alot less after update. Frames have gone up - Pretty much showing max.

Maybe just lucky.

edit: To be clear - I mean they said they doing maintenance earlier - Only just logged in after I read this behind the scenes.

I was ganna comment on this announcement however this is bloody amazing that the game runs smoother since the bot nuke. 0_0

Im actually looking forward to the new tasks, especially when the rewards might be usefull. I see a possible increase to barrows loot as one possible reward. BXP weekend is always good, but I think I might not even be around for it :(

99 Fletching 99 Attack 99 Constitution 99 Cooking 99 Strength

Gamertag: H8tebringer

h8tebringer-siggy-bloodskull-1.jpg

Sounds awesome, I'm especially excited for the vast graphical updates!

New gnome environment will be interesting, but updating all those armor sets will be the best and have the largest impact on all players across the game.

I'm also excited to finish up the Taskmaster elite set. The rewards don't seem on par with previous elite rewards, but I'll reserve judgment until release.

Sounds like an excellent month. Wasn't expecting BXPW to be so late this year though. Thought it'd be from 9th-12th. But yes, great month ahead. I wonder if there'll be a full set-effect from the Diary items?

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

I'll be the pessimist here. JaGex would probably counter all the great updates with a single terrible one (note recent effigies update). Be prepared for the worst.

Yeah but you never really know, plus the nerf of effigys was to alot of people not as bad as some make it. I mean I am still upset since I cannot gain anymore effigys since I have about 16 still in bank I can't open, but who knows. Last month the ONLY thing that was bad was the effigy nerf and a few dumb changes, the patch notes were literally better than alot of the updates last month too so I really don't know what to expect.

...including tier 4 versions of existing auras,...

Jack of all trades lvl 2? oh god id love it lol

99 Fletching 99 Attack 99 Constitution 99 Cooking 99 Strength

Gamertag: H8tebringer

h8tebringer-siggy-bloodskull-1.jpg

Even more auras that will be almost impossible to get! :P

But I am excited for the new task set. Just means there will be more goals to complete for me. :)

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

Clan Fealty

In a clan but we let our citadel rot away, hopefully this gives us a reason to use the citadel and also helps small clans with maybe 12 active people. That's what 12k recourses...

Bonus Xp weekend

Usually I hate how this counts as a weekly update, but seeing whats planned this month I'm ok with it.

Player armor

Will be by far the most controversial update, rsof is going to be filled with I quit bring back 2k6 threads. However, I'm all for graphic updates as tbh they're what keeps me playing besides epic content.

Looking forward to this one the most.

New Loyalty Rewards

Ok I really like loyalty points items, but I hate hate hate how often we get points, tbh 2x a month I would be fair and more exciting. I know we don't need everything but with just what we got now it'll take 10 years to get everything. I hope this is the last batch too

Mami Rambi

Sexy looking pixels, but I don't really pvp so not the update for me, but mages BEWARE it looks like. Maybe they'll help nex/armadyl hunters too.

Transportation

It'll make things easier but good game law rune market.

New task

Time to get 87 farming to boost the prayer renewal seeds, but been waiting for this for a year or soo..

A little meh about the whole temple trekking rewards, already got the ghast but still 9m in sharks so not complaining too much.

However it would be nice if we could get the levels beforehand for the diary like we do with the quests, but its whatever.

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

The new bolts is what caught my attention. I hope they work against monsters like Nex, Kree'arra and other magical monsters. Should give Ranged a well deserved boost in terms of power. I guess they're done with Magic and are now starting to update Ranged.

B-but I sold my Bandos because they implied the armor update wouldn't be coming until late this year in the Q&A. Why Jagex? Why do you insist on making me lose all of my money? Looking forward to the clan updates though, I might just pop into my clan's citadel for the first time in months, and I'm more than happy to see another early bird special, I love me some bonus XP.

Previously known as Monkeybeast0.

Walkman1022.jpeg

"While the rate will slowly go down over about 8 hours..."

8? Hasn't it always been 10 hours?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever felt responsible.

BXPW? Im ok with this

Tasks? Just as I bloody get TM, but nommy xp for RC.

And finally, elite legs xD

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

B-but I sold my Bandos because they implied the armor update wouldn't be coming until late this year in the Q&A. Why Jagex? Why do you insist on making me lose all of my money? Looking forward to the clan updates though, I might just pop into my clan's citadel for the first time in months, and I'm more than happy to see another early bird special, I love me some bonus XP.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they stated that Bandos' graphical update would have to wait until late in the year, if at all. Surprised at this.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

"While the rate will slowly go down over about 8 hours..."

8? Hasn't it always been 10 hours?

Keyword: About

And by the time you hit 8hrs it's down to ~1.2 anyway after that it moves into the 2nd and 3rd DPs

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

I just read the Tip.It Copy of the March 2012 RS BTS. Unluckily, I'm feeling nothing short of wanting to scream and bang my head against a really hard wall. With the release of the new teleports for F2P, it will finish devaluing F2P magic. Further, it makes me feel like most of the magic levels I've put in will now possibly mean nothing. It's like Jagex was unable to care about balancing the F2P combat triangle, which Magic has always been on the downside of even with the RC'er Robe release. Heck, I suspect the range update will disbalance the P2P combat triangle. :wall:

~D. V. "Feeling like Jagex hates this one's favorite combat style..." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)