Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

May-11-2012 - The Evolution of Combat

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

[ Display Name History ]

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,102 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:999134thpure
  • RSN2:1 Pray Hero
  • Clan:hyt
Inb4 summer update is not actually here until 30th August =(.
Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!
Posted Image
old sig

Sylpheed
[ Display Name History ]

Sylpheed

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,206 posts
  • RSN:Sylpheed
  • RSN2:Eliteice1
  • Clan:Scryers
Really looking forward to this. The people who are against a complete overhaul of combat are, quite frankly, deluded. Runescape's combat is a throwback to the past and for it to stay competitive it needs to change.

Glad to see something that people can be positive about. So tired of the SoF posts that are clogging up every thread I read.

[ Display Name History ]

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,102 posts
  • RSN:999134thpure
  • RSN2:1 Pray Hero
  • Clan:hyt
If it ends effective pjing and balances pvp I will be extremely happy.

Also will be extremely happy if these new things work in staking, to bring more skill into it, even rebalancing different armours weaknesses/weapon bonuses could have a big impact in staking. (armour on staking I am talking about, boxing will prob not be effected).
Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!
Posted Image
old sig

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts
  • RSN:Sy Accursed
Tip.it Web crew are probably now being like "ah feck" whilst scrambling to organise to make sure someone in the crew owns every single weapon and armour by release day so that when this arrives they can fairly swiftly swap in all the new stat data. Before off on to the mass of monster research that may very well be needed.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Sinkhan
[ Display Name History ]

Sinkhan

Ex-Website Crew

• Members
  • 2,662 posts

Inb4 summer update is not actually here until 30th August =(.

Technically summer ends on Sept 21.

Bazzaminxer
[ Display Name History ]

Bazzaminxer

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,004 posts
  • RSN:Bazzaminxer
Im gob smacked. They finally realise the huge untapped resource among us players who be willing to test their game for free. So we dont have to deal with so many freaking bugs..! Glitches..! Game breaking content..! Aswel as the obvious just testing things to see how we like it and make adjustments.

Im talking about the really OBVIOUS things that shouldnt exist.

Anyway as for the combat update.. I have no emotion or comment just yet. I will wait and see. The beta thing seems hopeful they are testing it properly for once which cant be a bad thing.
VMeh BlogV >Miscellaneous Goals<
Posted Image

HexiledRazz
[ Display Name History ]

HexiledRazz

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,078 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Hexiled Razz
  • RSN2:Pure of War
  • Clan:EoE
A much-much needed update that can't come soon enough. With a combination of the facts that RS combat is dead, and that they're doing a beta, it shows a lot of promise. But i won't get my hopes up too high until i actually can test it for myself. I find that it really helps to have no expectations for updates. Because if they're good like bonfires and runespan, you're extra suprised :P
Hexiled Razz. Player since March 8th, 2005.

Leik
[ Display Name History ]

Leik

Super Moderator

• Senior Moderator
  • 2,584 posts
  • RSN:Leik
I'm not excited for this at all. I like how simple RS combat is, I really don't want it to get any more "complex". However, Jagex giving us beta testing sounds kinda awesome.

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

ErnieLoco
[ Display Name History ]

ErnieLoco

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Ernie Loco
Inb4 runescape ends up looking exactly like WoW.

J35u5_M4
[ Display Name History ]

J35u5_M4

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • RSN:J35u5 M4
  • Clan:True Maxed
About time they're making a smart move, we need more beta tests for big updates, so we can avoid game breaking glitches tbh... Also

LET BRUNO DO THE UPDATE, HE'S A [bleep]ING EXPERT FINDING GLITCHES

Posted Image

X3EN
[ Display Name History ]

X3EN

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 556 posts
  • RSN:oO000oO0oO00

Really looking forward to this. The people who are against a complete overhaul of combat are, quite frankly, deluded. Runescape's combat is a throwback to the past and for it to stay competitive it needs to change.

RuneScape engine tick needs to change, because having a 600ms tick is unacceptable.
And having better combat while keeping the 600ms tick will not make anything more competitive.

Also, they are seriously going to destroy PvE with this update. Just saying you will regret it.

savormix.gif
R.I.P. oO000oO0oO00, RS2 range pure transformed to a maxed PvM char in EoC, ten years of time completely wasted.
Good to be gone :)

viralaether
[ Display Name History ]

viralaether

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 840 posts
  • RSN:Viral_Aether
I can see it now...(Amazed no one said it yet)

"We are pleased to announce the combat beta is live! Wondering where those pesky beta keys might be? Well if you get lucky you might just see one on the squeal of fortune!

In other news:

We have removed daily spins due to player feedback...."
Posted Image
drops

Viralaether's guide to Mac use
1/7/9 quest cape ||| 5/6/9 all diaries ||| 7/14/9 300 rank MA ||| 4998th to 99 summoning on 2/27/10

Sinkhan
[ Display Name History ]

Sinkhan

Ex-Website Crew

• Members
  • 2,662 posts
If it works out to be optional then I could see it being almost the perfect update. Like keep traditional combat, but if you use the active one, you get more damage/additional effects. People can still AFK, but people who actually play get rewarded.

xSxqPowerx
[ Display Name History ]

xSxqPowerx

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,043 posts
Cautiously optimistic.

It could be cool... or it could end up basically destroying the game and making it into a cheesier version of every other MMO already out there.
I'm also worried that balance issues are simply going to be shifted, instead of fixed.

They've stated that they're not happy with how meleers can put on ranged armour to get huge mage defense bonuses in pvp... which is fine, however, this is basically a staple in pvm combat.

It could also eliminate things like kiting.

Dunno, I'll reserve my judgement until I actually see it.

The_Avatar
[ Display Name History ]

The_Avatar

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,326 posts
  • RSN:The Avatar
  • RSN2:Monkeybeast0
I'm still very skeptical about this whole thing. I don't see it being anything other than a carbon copy of every other MMO out there's combat system, and I like the simple and relaxing nature of Runescape's current combat system. That said, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't somewhat excited. I'm wondering if they'll finally do away with grid based movement.
Previously known as Monkeybeast0.
Posted Image

Platinum_Myr
[ Display Name History ]

Platinum_Myr

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • RSN:Serena Sedai
  • RSN2:Fyora Serena
  • Clan:The Knighted Angels
I'm hoping they don't just copy other combat systems, but do manage to improve interaction during combat, as well as ensure that the triangle actually exists. Right now we end up with lots of issues because swapping combat gear doesn't always provide penalties to each combat style.

I want to see a lot of the issues fixed without just copying other MMOs. I also hope they are willing to fully fix old issues, for example fix/remove soaking and the life point boosts on armors. Don't just keep "adding". One interesting idea for how to fix the difference between mage/range and melee though would be for attack to be named "accuracy" and apply to all types of attacks (in combination with the main one as well) instead of just applying to melee. (Of course this would really annoy some people, but the pure system is going to have to change anyways.) But this would remove the difference between having mage/range only use one skill without having to add a new skill for both range and mage (like mage accuracy etc.) Not that I wouldn't mind having those new skills added.. But there is always the question of how to apply current xp that would be split into two changed skills it would just be a nightmare.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

FIREWORKS
[ Display Name History ]

FIREWORKS

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • RSN:lox

Inb4 runescape ends up looking exactly like WoW.

What kind of a game would want to look and feel like WoW in 2012 ? Quite frankly, WoW looks and feels terribly outdated...

... Not saying Runescape doesn't ...

VonMedo
[ Display Name History ]

VonMedo

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 337 posts
  • RSN:Medo Z G
I think it will be great because of the beta,they need to beta test every single update

M3DO.png

Mamiću odlazi!

Flyingjj
[ Display Name History ]

Flyingjj

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,181 posts
  • RSN:flyingjj

If they pull any of that you-have-to-be-a-member-to-help-us-with-beta-testing stuff...

Based on the 1 previous beta test they did (RS2) I'm gonna guess there's a 12/10 chance of it being members only, especially since 90% of the combat mechanics, gear and bosses that matter are, and will remain, members features.

RS2 beta was free to play for the last few days.

Really? Cause my account was created on RSC and I didn't get members until after RS2 launch and I don't recall being allowed on the Beta at all.

I was f2p until I could pay for it myself (i.e., way after RS2 launched), and I 100% remember doing beta for a few days (I remember doing rune mysteries twice, for one thing)

EDIT: Here we go: Newspost
Posted Image

Urza285
[ Display Name History ]

Urza285

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,133 posts
  • RSN:Urza285
  • RSN2:Urza285
  • Clan:Looking: com/skiller
Now all we need is the grand exchange to function more like the auction house and I'll be a happy man.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [In Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users