May-11-2012 - The Evolution of Combat

Leik

Really looking forward to this. The people who are against a complete overhaul of combat are, quite frankly, deluded. Runescape's combat is a throwback to the past and for it to stay competitive it needs to change.

RuneScape engine tick needs to change, because having a 600ms tick is unacceptable.

And having better combat while keeping the 600ms tick will not make anything more competitive.

Also, they are seriously going to destroy PvE with this update. Just saying you will regret it.

savormix.gif
R.I.P. oO000oO0oO00, RS2 range pure transformed to a maxed PvM char in EoC, ten years of time completely wasted.
Good to be gone :)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see it now...(Amazed no one said it yet)

"We are pleased to announce the combat beta is live! Wondering where those pesky beta keys might be? Well if you get lucky you might just see one on the squeal of fortune!

In other news:

We have removed daily spins due to player feedback...."

29bc22o.png

[hide=drops]10 black masks, 39 dragon boots, 21 whip, 9 dark bow, 7 dragon legs, 8 mauls, 3 dragon left half, 2 dragon spear, 2 hexcrest, 1 kbd heads, 10 dragon med, 2 R ammy, 2 granite legs, 1 bandos boots , 1 bandos hilt , 1 bandos chestplate, 1 saradomin sword(ls), 2 dragon claws(ls)(solo)[/hide]

[hide=Viralaether's guide to Mac use]1) take your mac

2) drop it off your roof

3) ??????

4) Profit![/hide]1/7/9 quest cape ||| 5/6/9 all diaries ||| 7/14/9 300 rank MA ||| 4998th to 99 summoning on 2/27/10

If it works out to be optional then I could see it being almost the perfect update. Like keep traditional combat, but if you use the active one, you get more damage/additional effects. People can still AFK, but people who actually play get rewarded.

Cautiously optimistic.

It could be cool... or it could end up basically destroying the game and making it into a cheesier version of every other MMO already out there.

I'm also worried that balance issues are simply going to be shifted, instead of fixed.

They've stated that they're not happy with how meleers can put on ranged armour to get huge mage defense bonuses in pvp... which is fine, however, this is basically a staple in pvm combat.

It could also eliminate things like kiting.

Dunno, I'll reserve my judgement until I actually see it.

I'm still very skeptical about this whole thing. I don't see it being anything other than a carbon copy of every other MMO out there's combat system, and I like the simple and relaxing nature of Runescape's current combat system. That said, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't somewhat excited. I'm wondering if they'll finally do away with grid based movement.

Previously known as Monkeybeast0.

Walkman1022.jpeg

I'm hoping they don't just copy other combat systems, but do manage to improve interaction during combat, as well as ensure that the triangle actually exists. Right now we end up with lots of issues because swapping combat gear doesn't always provide penalties to each combat style.

I want to see a lot of the issues fixed without just copying other MMOs. I also hope they are willing to fully fix old issues, for example fix/remove soaking and the life point boosts on armors. Don't just keep "adding". One interesting idea for how to fix the difference between mage/range and melee though would be for attack to be named "accuracy" and apply to all types of attacks (in combination with the main one as well) instead of just applying to melee. (Of course this would really annoy some people, but the pure system is going to have to change anyways.) But this would remove the difference between having mage/range only use one skill without having to add a new skill for both range and mage (like mage accuracy etc.) Not that I wouldn't mind having those new skills added.. But there is always the question of how to apply current xp that would be split into two changed skills it would just be a nightmare.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Inb4 runescape ends up looking exactly like WoW.

What kind of a game would want to look and feel like WoW in 2012 ? Quite frankly, WoW looks and feels terribly outdated...

... Not saying Runescape doesn't ...

If they pull any of that you-have-to-be-a-member-to-help-us-with-beta-testing stuff...

Based on the 1 previous beta test they did (RS2) I'm gonna guess there's a 12/10 chance of it being members only, especially since 90% of the combat mechanics, gear and bosses that matter are, and will remain, members features.

RS2 beta was free to play for the last few days.

Really? Cause my account was created on RSC and I didn't get members until after RS2 launch and I don't recall being allowed on the Beta at all.

I was f2p until I could pay for it myself (i.e., way after RS2 launched), and I 100% remember doing beta for a few days (I remember doing rune mysteries twice, for one thing)

EDIT: Here we go: Newspost

Flyingjj.png

I could see this being F2P and P2P. But for the F2P players, you'd only get a limited amount of time. This way, you get a glimpse at the upcoming updates and want to play it more, so you buy membership (in their minds at least).

[hide]

99 Strength 99 Fletching 99 Range 99 Hitpoints 99 Attack

99 Dungeoneering <3 99 Magic 99 Smithing 99 Herblore

99 Theving

Slayer Drops: 14 whips, 22 D boots, 27 Granite Mauls, 42 Effigies, 5 Dark Bows.

What would be cool is if Drakan and his minions kill all the sig heroes in the quest except Raptor who is wrecking. You and him team up and cave in some vampyre heads. He becomes a total bro in future quests and in a GM quest he receives a fatal injury and his last dying words to you are "Brofist, mang"

[/hide]

Quite honestly, F2P combat is so different than P2P that this needs to be F2P or this 'rebalancing' will inevitably fail.

No one's saying that F2P won't get a combat overhaul. What we're saying is that F2P players won't have access to the beta, or at least will have limited access compared to members. Obviously there are features of the combat overhaul that will probably be members only, but in general I expect the overhaul to change free aspects as well.

Serena_Sedai.png

Quite honestly, F2P combat is so different than P2P that this needs to be F2P or this 'rebalancing' will inevitably fail.

No one's saying that F2P won't get a combat overhaul. What we're saying is that F2P players won't have access to the beta, or at least will have limited access compared to members. Obviously there are features of the combat overhaul that will probably be members only, but in general I expect the overhaul to change free aspects as well.

I guess I didn't word that right, by 'this' I meant the beta. What I'm saying is that if the beta is P2P only, no member is going to waste their time trying out F2P wepons and armour, leading to all the (F2P) problems that they're trying to have the community find will make it through the beta into the actual game.

I guess I didn't word that right, by 'this' I meant the beta. What I'm saying is that if the beta is P2P only, no member is going to waste their time trying out F2P wepons and armour, leading to all the (F2P) problems that they're trying to have the community find will make it through the beta into the actual game.

Actually I already decided to take the f2p approach =d

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

As long as paying attention gets you boosted exp per hour compared to the system we have today and the afk option is the same as what we have today this is more then welcome. I don't want to see todays rates at afk become the new systems rates while paying full attention.

witchynosaur.png

Armadyl Drops : 4 Hilts; 3 Chestplates; 2 Chainskirts; 1 Helmet; 1 Buckler; 2 Shard 1; 2 Shard 2; 1 Shard 3

Nex : 1 Zaryte Bow

Kalphite King : 1 Drygore Rapier ; 1 Drygore Longsword : 1 Drygore Offhand Rapier : 1 Drygore Offhand Longsword

That makes sense. The problem is that the beta would have to have F2P only and P2P only versions, otherwise F2P players are likely to try all the members stuff. I think it depends on what kind of beta it will be--players with jmod style characters or a blank server where your character is reset?

If its including the character reset so you have to level up, then that encourages trying out things at different levels. (which would include some F2P content)

Serena_Sedai.png

Why do i get the feeling only Maxed players will be allowed into Beta...

Still, keeping my hopes up to get into beta and see the final product.

Sorry.

I'm sure it'll be all members like last time with the RS2 beta. There might even be a slight chance of them trying to promote their loyalty program system by saying only those that have been members for a certain amount of time, but that verging on the ridiculous (but not outside the realm of jagex).

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Now all we need is the grand exchange to function more like the auction house and I'll be a happy man.

Now that would be a welcome update

I mean honestly nothing would reek of "free-trade" than to see actual auction houses were you can make a post on what you want to sell or buy, for what price, quantity and where you can see your own market posts alongside everyone else's posts. You could also see the players prices and know whether or not that they're selling above the median price or below it. Hell I would be perfectly fine with jagex capping the package amounts of certain items and still doing the buyout limitations. Honestly I think one thing that drives out market is that the community actually doesn't have a fair understanding of how saturated the market is or how high the demand is other than chart numbers. It would be awesome to view how many buyers there are in the market for an item, what they are asking for and how high they are willing to pay for said item.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

The combat system is flawed fundamentally, it needs to be completely reworked from the beginning. This is from my arguments and discussions from others on magic OP/UP herp derp,ect. and deep thought into the subject. I honestly doubt jagex will make any good change, but I may have to come back in and beta test this just to see if they've got a good rework of the system.

edit: mabye not, this game is still being retarded, and this is as far as i'm willing to try.

rssr5x.jpg

yaay_1_def.png

siggy2.png

End of runescape and rabble and such.

Meh, should be interesting to see how this goes, as much as I like the way it is.

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER