Monday Poll: Collapseable submenus.

MPM

I think it is a good idea once more things become added and space becomes more valuable. On a 1280X1024 resolution, all menu items are currently visible.

:D

To cater to the newer players though, all the menus should start off expanded, and then the user can collapse the menus that they do not use as often. (What is collapsed/expanded would be remembered by cookies or AJAX, similar to how the quest DB is saved.)

Also turning the menus into collapseable menus, would not change much of anything compared to how they are now. If you want to see everything still, just keep the menus expanded.

Win/Win both way.

darn you took the words right out of my fingers (since I am typing :D )

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said I'd hate it.

Though, I wasn't really thinking of the menu that eyehawk used as an example. I'd dislike it, but I wouldn't mind it, and it would be very practical if there was an option to put as Show All(+), when you clicked it, the original menu and all its sub-features would show. Also it would be very good idea to make it remember your choice selection.

So if I clicked show all(+), all the menus with (+) would become (-), and the list of the features would show up.

If not, it would be such a horrific hassle to put down each list every single time I use them. I'd get used to it overtime sure, but I'd still find it a hassle.

Though does Tip.It really need this? I'm on 800x600 and the menu doesn't show up, but its nicely layed out as a poll that was made some time ago about the layout of the site. I think the results of that were very good, and 2 or 3 more lines have been added since then. So I don't think its an issue until more menu items get added. On 800x600, and on a 14" screen, every is very easy to get to without hassle, except for scrolling once, possibly twice if you want the very bottom menu...and then clicking.

Poll I was reffering too:

What do you think of the Tip.It Website's layout?

Hey there, we've got another poll up for you, and this week it will help us make a decision about our site. Go to the main page, and discuss the resultshere.

Edit: Eyehawk posted a quick example of how it would look for me.

It would look something like this, obviously not as crappy, as this was a quick mock up in paint.

Subheaders.png

id like it if you added the individual skills in a drop down menu. like it was 2 years ago

What you might be able to do to cater to all three (yes, three!) options is to have an option on the Tip.it Website so select whether they want the menus as they are now (in expanded form), a collapsed version, or a popout version (one that pops out to the right when you hover over it) The popout menu would be relatively simple to code with Javascript, so I doubt that would be a problem. It could store the option using Cookies or the AJAX method as said before, or even by a login feature on the main site that uses the same account as the forums.

signatureforkam42705lorpj5.jpg

i mean wth no1 cares about that weak noob that was scared of the great almighty lord ZAROS!

although it would make the page a bit tidier.. i think it would be confusing to new users and it'd be an annoying extra click for everyone else.

The site is fast to use, and it doesn't have enough links on it that we need to cut down the space they use. At worst you scroll down once right now. Maybe in the future when the main page has a lot more clutter in that left column, but as of right now it's perfect as is. Maybe snazz up the colors? I'm not complaining, I like it as is, but that would be fun.

Banned from Runescape on a day I didn't play, for a real world trade I never did. Combat 113 - Total 1796 - Top 500 Cooking

I got it

NO opinion I have no idea how it woud work out in the long run

I hope what ever ends up being there is effecient

nee0cg.png

Clicky siggy for blog

Thanks Pendonub for fancy new sig

Thieving guide[WIP]

Loyal player since May 2005 and member since November 2005 and Tifer for many years

~~~legoman187~~~

I'd be ok with collapsible menues.

What I'm really wondering is what new features they'll be adding? :-k

3zh5ap4.jpg

Early to bed and early to rise makes a man sleepy and blind in the eyes.

Carai an Caldazar! Carai an Ellisande! Al Ellisande!

If it's the thought that counts, why aren't humans innately telepathic?

I'm neutral, as long as everything works okay, I'm cool. :)

POG3.jpg

Pretty much what Dragon said.

Thread terminated.

I guess that means I'm the thread Terminator?

No Tip.Iters were harmed in the making of this post.

While people are kicking around ideas and weighing in, it's been proposed that we separate out "mini quests" (currently they are lumped into General Guides and/or Mini Games).

My proposal would put them on the same page as minigames, but in a separate block further down (might have to scroll). The reason for having them all on one page is so a CTRL-F will find the thing you want regardless of category. I don't like having to open several pages to find what I want! :)

I define "Mini Quests" as a sequence of steps that you do only once (as opposed to repeating over and over for xp or cash or whatever.)

MINI QUESTS

Achievement Diary (Karamja)

Bar Crawl

Champions Challenge (? can you do a specific champ more than 1x?)

Mage Arena (wilderness)

Barbarian Training

Ghostly Robes

Shadow Sword

Varrock Museum

Unlocking the Abyss and Mogres would also fall into this category.

So while I was pondering about it, I wondered if we could put some skill-related guides on the skills page (but in a separate block section, further down) to make them a bit more logical and in some cases easier to reach (rather than opening the main guide, such as cooking and construction).

SKILL-RELATED (add to Skills Page)

Construction Table

Cooking Levels Table

Costume Room

Gnome Cuisine

Smithing Tables (extra as this would still be linked on front page)

Ancient Magicks

Lunar Magicks

The remaining guides after these movements would be:

GENERAL

Achievement Capes

Beer and Wines

Beginners

Getting around

Key guide

Music

New P2P Members

Other capes

Random

Holiday/Rares

Security Stronghold

The Mini quests would appear in a separate block located below these remaining

MINIGAMES

Barb Assault

Barrows

Blast Furnace

Castle Wars

Chompy Hunting

Games Room

Gnome Ball

Gnome Delivery

Impetuous Impulses (?? Hunting?)

Jungle Cleanup

Kingdom Management

Mage Training Arena (w/progress hat)

Pest Control

Pet Care

Pyramid Plunder

Rogues Den

Splitbark Armour

Sorceress Garden

Temple trekking

Trawler Fishing

Treasure Trails

Trouble Brewing

TzHaar Fight Caves and Pits

Since you're only gonna use the mini quest guides once, the scrolling down on the mini games page shouldn't matter much.

Fire away, but please be gentle? Thanks.

gallery_28257_123_2330.jpggallery_28257_123_196.gif

it's a lot easier to get over yourself when you look at intelligence the same way you look at beauty, or height, or eye color: being smart is easy, but being good is hard ... being smart is handed to you, being good is handed to *nobody*.

[hide=pokes quotes]

While people are kicking around ideas and weighing in, it's been proposed that we separate out "mini quests" (currently they are lumped into General Guides and/or Mini Games).

My proposal would put them on the same page as minigames, but in a separate block further down (might have to scroll). The reason for having them all on one page is so a CTRL-F will find the thing you want regardless of category. I don't like having to open several pages to find what I want! :)

I define "Mini Quests" as a sequence of steps that you do only once (as opposed to repeating over and over for xp or cash or whatever.)

MINI QUESTS

Achievement Diary (Karamja)

Bar Crawl

Champions Challenge (? can you do a specific champ more than 1x?)

Mage Arena (wilderness)

Barbarian Training

Ghostly Robes

Shadow Sword

Varrock Museum

Unlocking the Abyss and Mogres would also fall into this category.

So while I was pondering about it, I wondered if we could put some skill-related guides on the skills page (but in a separate block section, further down) to make them a bit more logical and in some cases easier to reach (rather than opening the main guide, such as cooking and construction).

SKILL-RELATED (add to Skills Page)

Construction Table

Cooking Levels Table

Costume Room

Gnome Cuisine

Smithing Tables (extra as this would still be linked on front page)

Ancient Magicks

Lunar Magicks

The remaining guides after these movements would be:

GENERAL

Achievement Capes

Beer and Wines

Beginners

Getting around

Key guide

Music

New P2P Members

Other capes

Random

Holiday/Rares

Security Stronghold

The Mini quests would appear in a separate block located below these remaining

MINIGAMES

Barb Assault

Barrows

Blast Furnace

Castle Wars

Chompy Hunting

Games Room

Gnome Ball

Gnome Delivery

Impetuous Impulses (?? Hunting?)

Jungle Cleanup

Kingdom Management

Mage Training Arena (w/progress hat)

Pest Control

Pet Care

Pyramid Plunder

Rogues Den

Splitbark Armour

Sorceress Garden

Temple trekking

Trawler Fishing

Treasure Trails

Trouble Brewing

TzHaar Fight Caves and Pits

Since you're only gonna use the mini quest guides once, the scrolling down on the mini games page shouldn't matter much.

Fire away, but please be gentle? Thanks.

[/hide]

The way in which you define a Mini-quest is not the way many users would define it as, thus basing the entire thing on that opinion is rather incorrect. But I do agree some of those mini-quests should go under the Mini-Games section.

I do agree to the mini-quests and mini-game thing, if there is some way better then to add another table of blocks underneath the first table of blocks. It would probably look very messy. =/

I wouldn't like it. Some of the stuff could really go under more than one heading, and would make things harder. Its fine the way it is now, in my opinion.

(Ex. Quest Guides, is currently under Databases, but it makes much more sense to me that it would be under guides.)

Blakdragon39.png

This would not be difficult for me to use, but I think alot of players will have problems remembering which main title the subtitle will be under. For example, will you remember that skill calculators is under tools or that bestiary or quests is under databases? I say this because you won't be able to see them until you click on the main title. I believe there will be alot of confusion and extra searching for what some are looking for. Also, I see alot of space left on the left side if you just scroll down. Just food for thought. \'

Happy Runeing!

EDITED: i got used to where some of the links are in the site so when i click on the tip it folder where my bookmarks are i go to the homepage and click on what i need. im pretty sure every one can agree on that

plus i like adding specific parts of the sites to my favorites. like adding the quest guides combat calc. bestiary etc. so when i need to go on and use a different part of the site i just scroll down and click on it. i have had a few problems with navigating in the beginning but after a while i just got used to it which im sure every one eventually had to at one point or another.

all in all dont fix what aint broken.

these are some good responces that i think will support what im trying to get at:

[hide]

This would not be difficult for me to use, but I think alot of players will have problems remembering which main title the subtitle will be under. For example, will you remember that skill calculators is under tools or that bestiary or quests is under databases? I say this because you won't be able to see them until you click on the main title. I believe there will be alot of confusion and extra searching for what some are looking for. Also, I see alot of space left on the left side if you just scroll down. Just food for thought. \'

I said I'd hate it.

Though, I wasn't really thinking of the menu that eyehawk used as an example. I'd dislike it, but I wouldn't mind it, and it would be very practical if there was an option to put as Show All(+), when you clicked it, the original menu and all its sub-features would show. Also it would be very good idea to make it remember your choice selection.

So if I clicked show all(+), all the menus with (+) would become (-), and the list of the features would show up.

If not, it would be such a horrific hassle to put down each list every single time I use them. I'd get used to it overtime sure, but I'd still find it a hassle.

Though does Tip.It really need this? I'm on 800x600 and the menu doesn't show up, but its nicely layed out as a poll that was made some time ago about the layout of the site. I think the results of that were very good, and 2 or 3 more lines have been added since then. So I don't think its an issue until more menu items get added. On 800x600, and on a 14" screen, every is very easy to get to without hassle, except for scrolling once, possibly twice if you want the very bottom menu...and then clicking.

Poll I was reffering too:

What do you think of the Tip.It Website's layout?

[/hide]

1004.png

Wow, watching this thread is better than pro wrestling! =D>

This thread is probably better than pro wrestling because the fights here are real (And the boobs).

I have always liked Tip.it's menu, but only because it didn't have collapsible sections, which made it look tidier. Please keep it the way it is!

mrE.png

"We will certainly not be gaining money or members with this update. Instead, we are doing this for the good of the game, which is as dear to our hearts as it is to you."

- JAGEX, December 13, 2007

I wouldn't "love it," per se, but I definitely wouldn't dread using it every time I went on there. I like it the way it is, but it'll be just fine whichever way you guys put it. In case you haven't guessed, I put "no opinion."

perfect grammar is one thing, typing like a drugged monkey and enjoying it is another

AMEN!

I originally used Tip.it just for the guides, and many other sites (non RS related) use this, and it helps with alot of things, including more page space.

I think this would be a great add on to Runescape's 1st and greatest Fansite. ::'

99 Fletching 99 Attack 99 Constitution 99 Cooking 99 Strength

Gamertag: H8tebringer

h8tebringer-siggy-bloodskull-1.jpg