Why the ZMI Ourania Altar Will Change How You Runecraft

qeltar

{Note to mods: I consulted with a Tip.It forum mod before posting, and she said it would be okay to post parts of my articles here, where I hope many Tip.It readers will find them useful. My hope is that this can stay in General as it is about a new update and should be of general interest. Thanks. --q}

Why the ZMI Ourania Altar Will Change How You Runecraft

Note to readers: I have written a full report on the new Ourania altar, which is published on my site as TruthScape Special Reports - Why the ZMI Ourania Altar Will Change How You Runecraft. It is too long to reformat for the forums and repost in its entirety, so I am excerpting the core results information and comparison to other methods, which I think people will find the most important. Those who want more details can reference the full writeup, including an introduction and overview, discussion of issues in using the altar, description of my recommended method and my final assessment and recommendations by level. Lots more screenshots, too! :)

The ZMI Ourania Altar - Runecrafting Results and Analysis

Runecrafters are primarily in this to get experience points, runes (for their own use or for money), or both. Thus, the value of the Ourania altar can largely be judged based on what runes you get, how much time it takes to get them, and what the costs are associated with getting them.

LetÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s take a look at some numbers!

Analysis of Crafted Runes

First and foremost, Jagex has done a great disservice to this update by saying that the runes you get from the Ourania altar are ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬Åcompletely randomÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very well thought out guide. You give us good comparisons to other RC methods. I like the new alter, and I will use it when I can.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

Thanks for the kind words. :)

Sorry I couldn't post the whole thing here, but it's like 8,000 words and the formatting on a forum is limited, I can't really do indexes easily, and it was a bunch of extra work. The full article tells you the best way of using the altar (IMO) and so forth.

~q

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

I would like to point out an error in your article. You can in fact use the Moonclan bank without the Seal of Passage. Just right click and select "Use Quickly". Or right click and select "Bank Bird Eye's Jack(or whatever his name is)".

However, this is one of the best and most well thought out articles I've seen in....ever! =D>

Carpe_Deus.png

qkpY.png

Very well written and informative, being a first year Mathematics student I enjoyed the statistics in the tables. :P

It seems to have eliminated the need for law running at the higher levels and with lower rcers usually rcing nats or laws for the money, I think world 66 ffl company could take a hit. Though that's really better for the people rcing but not as much for the runners. If then, the runners can not receive as much nats as usual then maybe with the slightly less laws around, they could go up? It's pretty unlikely though as even if there was a difference, it would most likely be insignificant.

tipitsigtd0.png

2kshortmn1.png

Very well done and full of useful information, as always, Qeltar.

It is truthfully what myself and other non-wildy lovers wanted. It isn't perfect but it works and I will be happy for a new way to rc. The randomness is a pain, but once you get used to the trips it is wicked fast xp.

Try all the methods and see for yourself. The naysayers should try to do at least 1k ess before deciding you hate it. And if you hate always giving up the pure ess, mine your own at lunar when you need a break. Fill the pouches then mine the ore and gems there.

*sees sparkles above head for runecrafting* Yay, nice change.

Hello.

First off, I would like to commend you on creating such a focused, professional, concise and well substantiated report on the ZMI altar. It definitely helps serious RCers choose their preferred method for training RC/ using RC to profit.

There is a question I must ask, though - when you calculated the revenue obtained per hour, what numbers did you put on the pricing of the individual runes? I have my reservations about the revenue you get at 60 rc (im 68 so i cant speak for 75 or 91) so, if you could tell me what pricing you used, that'd be great.

Thanks for making such a great report!

=Proud member of the Order of Cabbage=

Outstanding !!!! I am so glad your post was a big hit well thought out and I must add very impressive.

Thank you for all the hard work you put into it and I found the read not only informative but interesting :thumbup:

P.S. I have to be honest and tell you I was a little worried about what you were going to post. :lol:

Again outstanding and thank you it answered many of my questions.

queenvalerie.png

Yeah thanks for posting this, a lot of my questions were answered as well.

I tested this at 75 it I liked the outcome, but I wasn't exactly sure what I was getting. I sort of thought it was around 24K xp an hour and it turns out that it was close.

camsiggycopy.gif

~2431~

Are you sure double nat crafting using the abyss yields +796K per hour? MULTIPLE other sources claim they earn 1 million gp per hour factoring in costs such as pure ess and super energy potions... :-k

Good info on Ourania otherwise, although it doesn't matter to me (f2p :().

22woger22.gif

22woger22.png

Wonderful, complete, and interesting analysis - Very well done! :)

However, although I don't like to nitpick at such a great guide, I do spot a couple errors:

Double Nature Crafting Using Runners (World 36/39): Level 91 Runecrafters who want faster XP can volunteer to do free double nature rune crafting for runners who want to get nature runes quickly. This is actually less XP than World 66, but in exchange for giving double natures, the crafter doesnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t have to provide free pure essence so there is no cost. I canÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t do this myself, but I would assume that itÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s quite a bit faster than World 66 because all trades are conducted at the actual altar, whereas in World 66 most are done outside the ruins.
Having crafted over 8M xp at the world 36 nature altar, I can guarantee you that World 36 is much faster xp than World 66. While World 66 has an arguably 30-35k xp per hour tops - My personal best in World 36 is 55k xp/hour. ;) (Though I'd say the average is around 45-50k xp/hour - factoring in the uneven supply of runners)

Also, on the last chart in your post (XP and Profit Comparison Results) - Your fire rune calculations are off for the amount of money spent. Remember that you can triple craft fires at level 70. Although this does not change xp value, it would certainly change its monetary value. And since regular essence is ~30gp each, and fires ~10gp each - its about an even break.

Again, that aside, nicely calculated. I've also been working on a few calculations relating to the "randomness" of the altar in comparison to the runecraft level of the crafter - which (if it's Ok with you of course) I'll post here in a few days when complete. :)

Edit:

Are you sure double nat crafting using the abyss yields +796K per hour? MULTIPLE other sources claim they earn 1 million gp per hour factoring in costs such as pure ess and super energy potions... :-k
Yes, I can assure you that (as a double crafter myself), if done properly, double nature crafting can yeild slightly over 1M Net profit/hour.

RuneTrack.com Founder