Facebook vs Myspace

darkmage099

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't use either, but recently, I'm starting to consider getting a facebook.

In my personal, and I'm starting to realize, elitist opinion, a presence on the web is a website. Not blogg, not a facebook account. It's not that I'm intellectually against making new technology available to be just by anyone, I just emotionally object to the whole "trend" deal - mostly because when I was into these things (ranging all the way back to MSN messenger) no one else was, and by the time everyone was into them I'd passed them and wondered why the heck they were making such a fuss. That, and the facebook license agreement makes me hesitate.

But recently I've been seeing/hearing all kinds of odd networking going on via sites like facebook. One company, who's name I can't remember, has a 1 hour of facebooking every friday in order to "network", and create a closer connection between the people in the company and in the business in general. It's freaky, but it makes sense is a twisted kind of way.

... so more on the originial topic, I'd say facebook despite never having used it, because that's what most of the people around me seem to be using, so that's what I'd have the most use for.

-This message was deviously brought to you by: mischief1at.gif

I don't use either, but recently, I'm starting to consider getting a facebook.

In my personal, and I'm starting to realize, elitist opinion, a presence on the web is a website. Not blogg, not a facebook account. It's not that I'm intellectually against making new technology available to be just by anyone, I just emotionally object to the whole "trend" deal - mostly because when I was into these things (ranging all the way back to MSN messenger) no one else was, and by the time everyone was into them I'd passed them and wondered why the heck they were making such a fuss. That, and the facebook license agreement makes me hesitate.

But recently I've been seeing/hearing all kinds of odd networking going on via sites like facebook. One company, who's name I can't remember, has a 1 hour of facebooking every friday in order to "network", and create a closer connection between the people in the company and in the business in general. It's freaky, but it makes sense is a twisted kind of way.

... so more on the originial topic, I'd say facebook despite never having used it, because that's what most of the people around me seem to be using, so that's what I'd have the most use for.

I remember that happening to me with myspace; right after I deleted mine, everyone started making one. I went back, created a new one, and quickly discovered it was worthless. To this day, I don't "like" facebook, but it beats myspace.

Oh, and I think online communication is the future for communication.

What about the license makes you hesitate?

dmanxb7.jpg

Trix.--quit WoW as of 12/07

Thank you 4be2jue for the wonderful sig and avatar!

Thanks to Mercs reply with solutions to my concerns about facebook, I'm willing to give it another go.

Thanks Matt.

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

Thanks to Mercs reply with solutions to my concerns about facebook, I'm willing to give it another go.

Thanks Matt.

Remember to set up the limited friends settings too. That way you dont have to give your contact and school info to your online-only friends :)

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

What about the license makes you hesitate?
By posting User Content to any part of the Site, you automatically grant, and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant, to the Company an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to use, copy, publicly perform, publicly display, reformat, translate, excerpt (in whole or in part) and distribute such User Content for any purpose on or in connection with the Site or the promotion thereof, to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, such User Content, and to grant and authorize sublicenses of the foregoing

Say what?

-This message was deviously brought to you by: mischief1at.gif

aka Facebook is allowed to use you as an example in promotional materials and/or in private presentations for example. It does not mean you waive all rights to everything you put on there. It still all belongs to you, you just license Facebook to use it for their own use.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Facebook is far better than myspace.

MySpace profiles look like [cabbage] almost noone on myspace has a half decent profile and they load so much rubbish code into CSS it should be crimminal.

Honestly if you use one of those profile generator sites to copy code from you really shouldent be customising your profile because chances are noone can read your stupid text over image frontpage98 style crap anyway.

The basic elements of design and coding stardards have gone compleatly out the window at MySpace.

~Dan64Au

Since 27 Aug 2002

I vote for facebook.

Much more organized in my opinion, plus most people I know have one. No one uses myspace around here.

1600+ Total 96 Combat

1656th to 99 Firemaking. Completed on March 24 '07

sigov9.png

I don't like the fact that you use your real name on facebook.

I for one don't like people on the internet to know my real name. It's not a nice thought. Plus I don't like the fact you can't customise facebook colours.

On the other hand, I don't like over customised myspace profiles, but if they're done well they can look quite nice.

So myspace =D

Along the coast road, by the headland

The early lights of winter glow.

Ill pour a cup to you my darling.

Raise it up --- say cheerio.

I for one don't like people on the internet to know my real name. It's not a nice thought. Plus I don't like the fact you can't customise facebook colours.

On the other hand, I don't like over customised myspace profiles, but if they're done well they can look quite nice.

So myspace =D

Tha's what's so good about it. Besides, you shouldn't befriend strangers on the Internet if you don't even trust them with your name

onceiroseik5.png

So myspace =D

Facebook is not for meeting new people. It is for talking to friends who already know you; therefore, you shouldn't be scared to share your name with them.

dmanxb7.jpg

Trix.--quit WoW as of 12/07

Thank you 4be2jue for the wonderful sig and avatar!

i pick myspace. facebook is just [developmentally delayed]. and myspace is the first one i signed up for....facebook is a wanna-be myspace :mrgreen:

Facebook is wanna be MySpace? Maybe originally.

Though how about the situation now? I spose you haven't noticed that MySpace has recently redesigned their homepage to one that (even the biggest Facebook hater must realise) is a hell of a lot similar to the Facebook homepage. They also now 'coincidentally' have friend statuses. I'm waiting for the day MySpace introduce applications :lol:

As you may have guessed I support Facebook in this discussion, they only thing that MySpace is better for is music.

Myspace apps anyone... yeah Facebook are really the ones copying here... :roll:

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

So myspace =D

This post was brought to you by Xx-Intriguing Enigma 15-xX

Facebook is the lesser of the two evils, so I'm gonna go with that. I swear, the people on myspace who use their "favorite band" or whatever as their profile background - which seems to be around 80% of the userbase - deserves to have molten lava thrown at their face. How can anyone think that is ever a good idea?

2009rb9.jpg