Junk Trading: Acceptable, Practical Practice?

benar

Think about the possibility of junk becoming a secondary currency for bartering... that wouldn't work. People would eventually not have enough coins, and then they couldn't buy things from npc's to support themselves.

BUT that seems unlikely to ever happen, because junk is only justifiably used on certain items incorrectly priced on the GE. The problem would be real if everyone used junk to buy items of all kinds.

picture7eo0.png

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My one junk trading story:

I got a Top Hat the day they were released. There was an incredible demand for them, as well as a very limited supply. The GE said they were worth 550k when they were EASILY 10x that or more. At that point I knew I was going to junk trade, so I turned most of my pouches into scrolls and junk traded the Top Hat for a Santa.

santa2dy5.png

As for junk simply being another currency, Jagex can and has ripped the bottom out from under common junk items such as Unstrung Addy Crossbows and Black Bolts P++. They could have easily done it to my scrolls, so I didn't make them until I knew for sure I was going to junk trade.

Lugia_Lvl138.png

4x Phat owner: Blue, Green, 2x Purple

3100+ GWD bosses soloed.

Solo GWD Drops:

5 Bandos Plates, 4 Bandos Boots, 3 Bandos Hilts, 2 Arma Helms, Arma Skirt, Arma Plate, 3 Arma Hilts, 4 Zammy Spears, Steam Staff, 15 Sara Swords, 6 Sara Hilts, 29 Shards.

That there is a lot of junk! :P

What are your thoughts on trades consisting of only junk, with no money exchange. I only see this working if that junk has a guaranteed re-use for another junk trade.

picture7eo0.png

That there is a lot of junk! :P

What are your thoughts on trades consisting of only junk, with no money exchange. I only see this working if that junk has a guaranteed re-use for another junk trade.

Huh, why would you buy junk med price, and sell it afterwards with your underpriced item for med price again... That will make no difference.

Hmmm, I'm not sure how this makes any more profit for the seller, but i'm sure i'm wrong and am posting this to be shown how I am wrong.

**All prices made up as I do not know the current G.E and Junk prices.

Lets say Player A gets a 3rd age Kite from a clue. The G.E sells it for 50m. But he hears people are buying on forums for 100m. He does some research and learns that for this trade to be possible, he has to come up with 50m in junk! So his question is. How does he get a free 50m in junk to make the full 100m? Is this player just suppost to have 50m in random buckets or scrolls? Or does he go out and buy 50m in scrolls? What happens when the player doesnt have over 50m cash to spend in scrolls? Lets say he does have 50m+ cash to buy scrolls. How is Player A making any money when he spends lets say 70m on scrolls and trades 70m in scrolls and a 50m Item for 100m?

I would love to know how this works for the lucky player who happens to get a 3rd age item from a clue or someone trying to sell the Mage top he bought before the G.E. and now wants to sell it for higher skills or anything.

What980.png

voicefb2.png

Junk trading was the inevitable result of people following the law of supply and demand where the GE prices contravened it. In an ideal world, it shouldn't happen, but because the GE is far from ideal, it does.

Jagex's handling of newly created tradeable items is poor, you can't slap on a price without observing how much the players value it after the initial hype. The top hat proves my point.

Blame the causes, not the people practising junk trading.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Many players who play the game a lot will have filled up their banks over that time with items that are, if not worthless, are certainly not worth selling as no-one buys them.

Jagex has given these items a value in the GE which is totally unrealistic.

There are many examples of these eg: Almost all scrolls, Addy Javelins, Red Salamanders etc.

Now you could sell these to a shop for a fraction of what they are supposed to be worth, you could just drop them, or you could keep them, build them up and use them in the future for Junk trading.

This "Junk" then becomes a new currency as the person that sells the item for GE price + junk will then use this junk for their next big item purchase.

The only problem with it is - who now knows an items real worth?

I think it's ok - but i reckon Jagex will change it all around. I understand each item reaches an absolute rock bottom (maple longbows and willow (u) and just a few of many examples) I believe Jagex will allow a change in these items so they are worth next to nothing and this method of "junk trading" will cease to exist.

When i junk trade, i make sure the items are at a stable price - like willow logs or maple bows. NOT poison arrows as they can lose millions...

There are much easier ways of getting rid of junk though. I once was stuck with 50,000 strung willow bows and just added 1 - 2% of willow bows then 98 - 99% cash to an item that someone was selling. I then just put it on the grand exchange over night and got my money back - plus got rid of alot of bows.

Am i the only person who can use this method ? Because i find it alot faster to get rid of junk this way than to junk trade...

johannase.jpg

Thank you to tripsis for an awesome sig!

Junk trading is pretty annoying, but I understand why people do it. Why would somebody sell for a ridiculously low price things like 3rd age when they know it is worth a lot more than that? Anyway, hopefully Jagex will find a way to fix all of it -___-

2480+ total

Well, hopefully Jagex makes an effort to fix prices, rather than stopping junk trading directly. If the prices are put where they should be, then junk trading wouldn't be necessary anyway.

picture7eo0.png

As Mr. Mackey would say...

"Junk Trading is bad, mmmk."

And seeing as how he's pretty much oblivious to most things, that means it's ok. :)

May the presents of our lord and savior, Santa, be with you this holiday season!

First annual Clausmas - 2009 December 25

there are a few rules in ge, such as raw > end product, ge price > shop price... there comes the junk

the ge price only auto adjust, if only when a trade happens in ge but not in middle price. but, the fact is no one is willing to make such great lost to sell/buy a undervalue/overvalue product, so... down for price ceiling/floor :evil:

But it's important junk. Junk that allows REAL balanced trading. It's part of the economy.

This is the attitude I'm confused about. People think the issue is whether or not junk trading is ok. Of course it's ok to do. The situation with the GE forces it. Otherwise trade is impossible. The real issue is over jagex's stance and lack of action on it. It's been established that we have to junk trade for many things because of the ge. Let's move beyond that discussion and focus on the bigger picture.

But it's important junk. Junk that allows REAL balanced trading. It's part of the economy.

This is the attitude I'm confused about. People think the issue is whether or not junk trading is ok. Of course it's ok to do. The situation with the GE forces it. Otherwise trade is impossible. The real issue is over jagex's stance and lack of action on it. It's been established that we have to junk trade for many things because of the ge. Let's move beyond that discussion and focus on the bigger picture.

This is easy to explain- Jagex does not admit mistakes, especially when so many of the rsof idiots are supporting them and painting junk traders with the same brush as RWTers. They think it's a sign of weakness to go "yeah, we screwed up on the way we designed the GE, and it doesn't work on rarely traded items, or items which will not trade. So, we did a few simple code changes which happen purely on the mathematical operation level, as suggested on the forums numerous times, and it should work much more smoothly now."

This aspect of Jagex really, really bothers me.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

I think that junk trading is okay. The GE works rather well with the most of the items, but for some items it is indeed broken. And then junk trading is a neccessary thing for getting fair prices.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Personally, Junk Trading annoys me to no end.

Admittedly, many of Jagex's set prices for items are off by a wide margin, but I don't see what is essentially a Black Market as the solution.

I simply don't see what you accomplish by flouting the limits set forth in the effort to keep the game alive.

I don't see a reason why Jagex would possibly condone Junk Trading, but then again some decisions don't make much sense from the top.

clbyt.png

I'll get it one day, really.

Maxed QP | 122+ Combat | 1877+ Total