2nd of September 2008: Distractions and Diversions

Were

When levelling skills or trekking around RuneScape, you might want to keep an eye out for some unusual goings on. This is because the Distractions and Diversions (a new type of game feature in RuneScape) are cropping up randomly, offering you some interesting experiences. We think you'll enjoy being distracted by these new ways to train, as they can be fun and useful...

Balthazar Beauregard's Big Top Bonanza:

The circus offers more than entertainment: it gives you the chance to be a star. Perform on the tightrope and show off your Agility, test your aim at the Ranged event, or blow things up in the Magic performance! Every week you'll get the chance to show your stuff and earn great rewards in the process.

How to enter the circus:

Speak to the Ticket Vendor, who moves randomly between twelve towns in RuneScape. Keep a note of where it is!

Requirements to play in the circus:

Members only

Access to:

Experience and costumes for your performances.

Penguin Hide and Seek:

What's black, white and covered in leaves? A penguin pretending to be a bush! It may sound crazy, but it's true. Ten penguins have gone incognito and infiltrated the lands of RuneScape. Your mission, should you choose to accept it (and who wouldn't?), is to track down these mischievous birds and report them to Larry in the Ardougne Zoo. He'll reward you handsomely with XP or gold coins; so, the more penguins you find, the greater your reward.

You'll need to keep your eyes peeled - the ten penguins will change location every seven days and have a tendency to wander about the place. Keep finding them to collect your reward.

Where to start Penguin Hide and Seek:

Speak to Larry in Ardougne Zoo

Then start searching RuneScape for the dastardly birds

Requirements to play Penguin Hide and Seek:

Members only

Access to:

Rewards every seven days: gold coins or XP!

Shooting Star:

Stars are falling from the sky, ripe with rewards! Mine the meteorite and you'll get up to 200 pieces of stardust. Manage to get to the middle of the star and you'll meet the star sprite, who will reward you according to the amount of stardust you have mined.

Watch out, though: there's a two hour gap between shooting stars, so you should take advantage of the stars when you see them. Get a better idea of when (and where) they'll fall by using your player-owned house telescope, but they'll still be hard to find. The stars are big and slow to mine through, so they're best mined by several people at once. Call on your friends to make your way to the middle with slightly more ease...

Where to find Shooting Star:

Stars can land all over the place! Use your player-owned house telescopes to narrow down the landing location of the next star.

Requirements to play Shooting Star:

Members only

Different layers require different Mining level requirements.

Outer layers are tougher to mine. Stars will start off at a random size.

Access to:

Rewards from the star sprite include runes, coins, gold ore and a temporary bonus to your Mining, which will give you more ore from the rocks that you mine.

Bonus Mining XP for the first person to discover a star.

You can be rewarded by a sprite up to once each day.

In other news...

Many items that are frequently purchased on the Grand Exchange have had their purchase limits increased so you can buy more of them at once. These include bows, poisoned darts, several dragonhide items, poh teleport tablets, pyre logs, bones, fruit and more!

Certain searches in the in-game world map, like "fishing guild", wouldn't yield any results. I'm sure you're all angling to hear that the Fishing Guild is still in the same plaice, so you should sea that this problem has been e-ray-sed!

Two worlds (60 and 61) have been designated as suggested 'Great Orb Project' worlds. While we've noticed a fair amount of activity on worlds such as 1, 2, 6 and 9, these are the main trading worlds and are often near capacity or full. Therefore, we have selected 60 and 61 so that you'll be able to log in straight away and join others who're playing this minigame.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems interesting, looking forward to rune mining with that new equipment. Increased capacity for dhide and bows!

EDIT: Anyone know which towns and where in the town the ticket vendor is?

Looks pretty stupid, yea lets chase penguins around.

Grand exchange limit changes are good though, looks like Jagex are actually paying attention to the exchange for once.

2376/2376 total achieved - May 2009

Retired Dec 2009

Looks pretty stupid, yea lets chase penguins around.

Grand exchange limit changes are good though, looks like Jagex are actually paying attention to the exchange for once.

I think it will be a cool well, distraction (yeah i said it) to regular training. I dont take anything in this game seriously so spending a day looking for penguins is something i would do regularly though -__-

Sig

I totally want a ringmaster outfit!

LOOK AT THE HAT! JUST LOOK AT IT!

The circus looks really amusing, the penguin and star sprites...not so much, but perhaps they give decent exp rewards for little effort.

Dark_Jab.png

I totally want a ringmaster outfit!

LOOK AT THE HAT! JUST LOOK AT IT!

The circus looks really amusing, the penguin and star sprites...not so much, but perhaps they give decent exp rewards for little effort.

You mean this? :o

ringmasterhatha2.png

It looks pretty neat, and if you talk with it on the words move up and down above your head

How many runescape players does it take to change a lightbulb?

1 to change the bulb and the other 49 to complain about how it was better before.

THE MODS THERE ARE COMPLETE AND UTTER IDIOTS!

So why are you here?

The penguins sound like a redux of Implings. Nice if you see them, but not worth it to look for them specifically.

Lugia_Lvl138.png

4x Phat owner: Blue, Green, 2x Purple

3100+ GWD bosses soloed.

Solo GWD Drops:

5 Bandos Plates, 4 Bandos Boots, 3 Bandos Hilts, 2 Arma Helms, Arma Skirt, Arma Plate, 3 Arma Hilts, 4 Zammy Spears, Steam Staff, 15 Sara Swords, 6 Sara Hilts, 29 Shards.

A somewhat boring update if you ask me. I may take a closer look but I doubt it.

+1, alot less then what I expected from this update, or from what I can see so far at least.

slayermask3.png

A Draconic Guide V1.4, Fimer - Multi-Timer Farming Timer V3.

Dragon Boots: 39|Abyssal Whips: 16|Dark Bows: 1|

Pretty small update if you ask me... the rewards are so minimal

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

costumes=pimpscape.

Sweeeet.

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

I think I might give this a go when my usual training gets boring. I think it will be quite fun to do, and just a break from training. As soon as I finish my slayer task I am going to go and give it a go. Might as well try it before I judge it.