Should There Be Uniforms In Schools?

Maze

Depending on the situation, schools should have uniforms. In schools with a lot of dress code violations, misconduct, and violence, it is hard to control people who dress inappropriately. For example, there are many schools in the southern US that have problems with students wearing their pants to their knees (literally), as well as other schools with a lot of people expressing gang affiliation through their clothing. To help counter this, school-issued clothing should be enforced, which should resemble ROTC uniforms. Time should be allotted throughout the day for inspections. Anyone who just slightly violates the military-style dress code should be punished, with the punishment corresponding to the severity of the situation. I believe this could teach discipline.

However, in a school with generally good conduct, only dress codes are necessary.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

School uniforms, while being incredibly uncomfortable and troublesome, help in places where identification is needed.

I've worn uniforms for 10 years, I should know -.-

But no, I don't think there is a need for uniforms. The schools are coldly mistaken if they think this is going to reinforce our pride of going to their school.

However, in the event that there isn't, a form of dress code (no coming to school in your underwear) is needed.

Every school I've been to has uniforms.

Tbh, it's not a big deal to wear uniform. Granted that in high school, civies days (about once a month) are like modelling day and people rarely do work and most people just skip school half day to go to the mall.

Oh, and kilt on the ladies are pretty tough to beat. They just *have* to fold it a couple more inches for some reason.

It's funny because in Australia, pretty much every school wears uniforms. I only know of one school that doesn't, it's a public school, but all others do. With public schools it's generally a pretty casual uniform, school polo shirt and school shorts etc, or long pants in the winter. I go to a private school where it's a lot more strick, we're about to start our first winter term, that's grey long pants, white shirt, tie and a blue blazer. Black leather shoes/loafers. I like uniforms, especially with ours i think it helps create the sense of a school community. Especially in big events against other schools it's impressive seeing a mass of blue together cheering teams/people on.

That's pretty much it for Australia. My school is a lot like remoteman's, but we only wear blazers at special occasions.

School's should have uniforms, it does create school community and just looks better.

newsigzl2.jpg

^Sir Jem 05-The Bunny Drinking Blog?^ Click it!

tetsupportsig2.jpg

It's mandatory in my school for uniform, pair of grey slacks, navy wool jumper, blue or white shirt, school tie, brown or black shoes etc. It's not as comfortable as normal clothes but I think I prefer it in some ways.

It stops a lot of abuse for those who aren't considered the 'normal', I.e the skaters, goths, rockers etc. As were all the same in terms of clothes, it in a way creates a friendlier environment. Problem is, my school is a private school in an impoverished area, meaning our uniform identifies us and makes us a target for local kids our age. On no-uniform days, usually for charity, things are much more hectic or energetic, it just seems more 'crazy' I suppose when there's no uniforms.

As Kenish said though, there's still the easy ways of spotting the 'cool' and 'uncool' groups in school, the cool or normal groups will usually wear brown loafers and brand shirts with gelled hair, the uncool groups usually wear school recommended shoes, school shop shirts and don't have any hair styles.

Tbh, it's not a big deal to wear uniform. Granted that in high school, civies days (about once a month) are like modelling day and people rarely do work and most people just skip school half day to go to the mall.

Oh, and kilt on the ladies are pretty tough to beat. They just *have* to fold it a couple more inches for some reason.

My school has dress codes on the school uniform. Not allowed to make the slightest change to the prescribed uniform. Of course, some people never listen. :mrgreen:

In Australia, there is! And if I didn't have one, i'td be kind of emabarassing when I turn up to school in the same dodgy clothes everyday, i'd be to lazy to pick something new out.

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

Yes there should be. I know from my own experiences of school that kids are often singled out for what they wear when there are no uniform rules. It's also useful to have uniforms when people need to be identified quickly outside the school (such as during lunch breaks). It's god to give kids parity at school, it's good for the self esteem of less fortunate children and the better off children can see that they are no better or worse than others. You have plenty of years to dress as an individual, just not at school.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

I think both sides really. Most schools over here have uniforms and you get used to it. I don't think 'expressing yourself' or any of that [cabbage] is a reason to not have them. You've got the rest of your damn life to do that, get over yourself. The only problem I have with school uniforms is that in my experience they can cost money. For example my school uniform comprised of a black jumper with the school logo (about £20 each), a tie with the school logo, black pants with the school logo on the arse (again, £20 each). If you only bought 2 pairs of pants (I never wore skirts) and 2 jumpers that's coming up to £80... imagine if you've got one or more kid £160... then you have to buy them new ones every year for 5 years... £800... not counting shirts, shoes ect... it adds up for poorer families. My mum was lucky, I don't grow much so we had to buy me new ones every 2/3 years rather than every single one... :|

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Yes there should be. I know from my own experiences of school that kids are often singled out for what they wear when there are no uniform rules. It's also useful to have uniforms when people need to be identified quickly outside the school (such as during lunch breaks). It's god to give kids parity at school, it's good for the self esteem of less fortunate children and the better off children can see that they are no better or worse than others. You have plenty of years to dress as an individual, just not at school.

If kids are singled out because what they were, then those issues should be addressed with preventing that these kids are getting singled out by others. Not by merely curing the symptoms, which is all that uniforms do. Kids will find other ways to single other kids out. With or without an uniform, kids will always find a way to bully a kid for some sort of reason. Whether it's high grades, being fat, or just lacking social skills. It's better to work at self esteem and education to prevent such things from happening.

I didn't have to wear uniforms when I was in school, and I would refuse if I had to. I go to school to be educated, not to be dressed up like a monkey.

My school has dress codes on the school uniform. Not allowed to make the slightest change to the prescribed uniform. Of course, some people never listen. :mrgreen:

Same here. The kilt is supposed to be just a few inches above the knee. But of course Catholic girls are [bleep]s so they have to put it up mid-thigh.

You shouldn't have to have a uniform, because some people wear clothes as a way of expressing themselves. Although dress codes are perfectly understandable. Also like riku said, if they're comfortable they can sit longer, which means they can last longer and possibly do better in class.

Uniforms won't do any good. Kids arn't singled out by what they wear, they are singled out by how they act. While it's cruel it's the truth.

You're so full of [cabbage]. People generalize on what type of a person someone is by what they wear all the time. jesus christ, you ever been to a public high school?

So during the times a slavery if black people wore different clothing people would treat them differently?

What the hell...?

He's talking about public high school not Southern Plantation circa 1800.

It's still the same thing. White people didn't like how Africans lived so they singled them out for it. One kid doesn't like how another kid lives so he singles the other kid out for it. People didn't like how Indians lived so they singled them out for it. People didn't like how Nazi Germany lived so they singled them out for it. It's all the same thing we're just talking about on how cruel a scale it is in these places.

Like I said it's cruel but it's the truth.

It's not the clothes; it's the attitude. I know one guy at my school who goes about with a pink rucksack yet is still never picked on; it's normaly him who's picking on people, actualy. Most of it just comes down to self-confidence. Then again, my school is supposedly pretty good, so perhaps it's difference at rougher schools.

I don't see why we should have to wear school uniform. Unless a it's discovered to cause worse grades or more bullying, I say scrap it. Though I do think discipline at schools needs to be much stricter...

If absolute power corrupts absolutely, where does that leave God?

At every school I've ever been to it has been said that the uniform is there to stop kids being bullied about the clothes they wear.

It doesn't work, there's still insults and bullying against kids who's trousers are too short, have their ties long, button up their shirt completely etc. They might as well have no uniform, it would keep the students comfier, more adaptable to the weather, and because of those things, happier most probably.

Sitting in a non airconditioned classroom in a blazer, horribly designed stiff shirt and black polyester type trousers is not fun. especially in 30 degree heat.

So don't let anyone tell you you're not worth the earth,

These streets are your streets, this turf is your turf,

Don't let anyone tell you that you've got to give in,

Cos you can make a difference, you can change everything,

Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel,

Tear up the book and write your own damn rules,

Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got,

And the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,

And realise that the other world that you're always looking for,

Lies right here in front of us, just outside this door,

And it's up to you to go out there and paint the canvas,

After all, you were put on the earth to do this,

So shine your light so bright that all can see,

Take pride in being whoever the [bleep] you want to be.

Schools should definetely ALWAYS have uniforms, maybe not blazers and ties but just a uniform is fine. My school uniform policy is black trousers/skirt and the school blue t-shirt and black shoes (though quite a lot of kids still wear trainers), I don't know why all these childish teenagers are whining "But how can people express themselves!". In my school you can still tell what kind of person they are by their outer appearence whilst they're still wearing the uniform (Do not trust the ones which have they're hair pulled tightly back, are wearing their weight in gold jewellery and have little white sticks poking out of their mouths).

Also in my school the biggest problem is non-uniform day where everyone comments on what the other is wearing, it gets tiresome and out of hand after a while. The 6th formers are the only ones allowed to wear non-uniform and they're not really in the school properly since it's practically like a college and you're mature enough not to think someone has bad hygiene because they've worn the same pair of jeans for 2 days in a row now...

BoXRwtv.png

YZF63wJ.png

youknowhowilovemygeekyandnerdyguys-1.png

To be honest I don't see what the fuss is about not having school uniforms, they're great.

As many people previously have said the argument of 'expressing yourself' is redundant as you've your whole life to do that. Again as an Australian i've lived my whole life in school uniforms and have yet to see a problem, although it may not have been so bad since i've been in a selective high school since year seven and haven't had to deal with really stupid people (dug users, smokers, drinkers [atleast sober at school]) but from what friends have told me from other schools it isn't much of a problem.

That said everyone looks forward to "mufti days" where people come in what they want but I just find these really annoying (especially when you break up the norm) and breaks the spirit. It is pretty aweinspiring to see 1080 kids all sitting for assembly in the same clothes.

But then again some schools see different things as manditory for a school uniform, from experience I find that a shirt, shorts and shoes (for males) are good for the summer months while the shorts are traded for pants, tie and jumper for the winter months, with blazers optional works wonders.

tl;dr? School uniforms are good and should be implemented into most schools.

1yrb49.jpg

I love how Range_This brings his liberalism into everything.

As for me: Uniforms are fine. You're at school. You're there to learn, not to do as you want to.

You're right but this is a bad topic to say it in because it's hard not to bring that up in a topic dealing with conformity.

OT: I don't like the idea of outfits at all. It's already mandatory to go to school - why do we have to have a mandatory outfit too? Maybe on field trips because there is actually a point to it but other than that, no.

I dont think it really accomplishes anything so there is no need. Some of the kids in my school should have uniforms until they can figure out what dressing decently means though :roll:

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

In public schools, no. Private schools can do what they want IMHO, though I still don't like them.

I've never met anyone who benefitted from their schools having uniforms, and most I meet hate it. I am going to a private high school, but luckily for me no dress code there ::' Also, that Carlin clip from page 1 is perfect

But a dress code should be implemented,

Join Future Update News! The longest running update speculation thread on the RSOF, currently on its 24 Edition

QFC 16-17-671-59680498

314v28z.jpg

Thanks to Killerwat for the sig!

I love how Range_This brings his liberalism into everything.

As for me: Uniforms are fine. You're at school. You're there to learn, not to do as you want to.

I love how you're a complete tool. All the time.

I simply disagreed that school uniforms are a good idea. I believe that at a public school, uniforms should not be implemented. Limiting creative choice is simply another way to make children think alike and not question anything. I mean honestly, look at any history book in elementary through preparatory schools across America: Complete Propaganda. It's absolutely ridiculous. School uniforms are just the icing on the cake.

Dress code, yes. Uniforms, absolutely not.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

I never saw the point in them. The school I attend right now has no uniforms, and it's one of the top 3 high schools in the state (and is public). I don't see any problems that could possibly be fixed with such things, so, as they say, if it aint broke, don't fix it.

I love how you're a complete tool. All the time.

I simply disagreed that school uniforms are a good idea. I believe that at a public school, uniforms should not be implemented. Limiting creative choice is simply another way to make children think alike and not question anything. I mean honestly, look at any history book in elementary through preparatory schools across America: Complete Propaganda. It's absolutely ridiculous. School uniforms are just the icing on the cake.

Dress code, yes. Uniforms, absolutely not.

History's never written by the one who lost.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream