Tip.It Times: 7 June 2009

Mirror

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

Enjoy the articles!

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting First article, but there was an incorrect statement.

"where a single player experimenting with third party software ended up forever upending the street values of the rarest items in the game."

According to the writer, it was due to a glitch with the trade screen. The hacker experimented with "first party" software, not third party.

www.littlefolkspuzzlepersistentillusion.fileswww.animals-in-

k1tt3h$ f0r t3h w1ns!

First article was good, just posting before i've read the rest to point out an error, fourth paragraph from the bottom, on the right hand edge (can't miss it) a typo, jut, where just should be.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

"where a single player experimenting with third party software ended up forever upending the street values of the rarest items in the game."

According to the writer, it was due to a glitch with the trade screen. The hacker experimented with "first party" software, not third party.

The duping was from a player using third party software to manipulate the servers. His original intention was to figure out a way to trade scythes in the game. He never figured it out, but did figure out how to create new items.

rssig2.png

I think you'll find that the program he used is an old program of which the name is filtered on the programs to manually put an item in the trade screen, using the numerical ID that the server uses to identify items. Due to a glitch in the trade screen, he could manually put up 0 of a certain item this way, and the receiving player would get 1.

I think you'll find that the program he used is an old program of which the name is filtered on the programs to manually put an item in the trade screen, using the numerical ID that the server uses to identify items. Due to a glitch in the trade screen, he could manually put up 0 of a certain item this way, and the receiving player would get 1.

Ahh, that explains allot, thanks.

www.littlefolkspuzzlepersistentillusion.fileswww.animals-in-

k1tt3h$ f0r t3h w1ns!

And that boys and girls, is why you should never trust the user and keep all computations server side!

First article would do good as a story to show the need of server-side calculations, but it's a bit wierd it took so long before runescapers discovered such a fault in the system.

I know of many other games which had such problems like 20 years earlier already.. It's just a variant on the "stack overflow/number overflow" problems.. (But in this case: underflow). The server wasn't able to handle exceptional information well.

Btw, can I just say that that last sentence is horrible and should be taken out of it: it makes the assumption that 3rd party software is responsible of hacks, and that 3rd party software is always bad! - Please take it out to benefit the free software!

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

he pegnuin one:

i did actually notice that my id card had gone missing. every few weeks i do a bank search to see if anything is missing, both because i am paranoid like that and because im bored #-o

any way, when i noticed that the id card was missing i thought to myself- did i get rid of it last bank clean out? i wonder where it is? what dastardly, yet penguiny, hacker stole it from me? ah well im sure its nothing. then i went about my day. when i went to do the quest i again realized it was gone and was confuse and kinda mad cause i thought id have to do all the stuff to get a new one.

those penguins in the penguin mafia are truly a force to be scared of. for they can steal any thing right from under your nose and there is nothing you can do about it.

BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID

IM not afraid

OH YOU WILL BE BE, YOU WILL BE

i realize they are two different movies but what the hey they go together lol

also any ideas on what the next penguin quest will be called? im thinking like the "pacscaling submarine crisis"

~~~legoman187~~~

nee0cg.png

Clicky siggy for blog

Thanks Pendonub for fancy new sig

Thieving guide[WIP]

Loyal player since May 2005 and member since November 2005 and Tifer for many years

~~~legoman187~~~

The first was a nice read. I thought he actually hacked runescape, but there is more info here.

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Party_h ... ion_glitch

I know it was bad that this happend, but I like reading on this stuff for some reason :wall:

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

I liked the articles this week! Better than last 2 weeks.

The first one was intresting... i wasn't playing then so I didn't know about it.

The penguin one was funny, I dunno why the took it out.

I liked the fictional article this week! It really drew me in.

I read and enjoyed the ones about duping and jagex's new relationship with players, the duping one was of particluar interest, I always like hearing about runescape's history and key points in it like this one :) Both articles could have been proofread a little better though.

ichigosig2da4.jpg

The duping one was pretty interesting, the penguin one was kind of pointless but also kind of funny, 'Jagex Got Hip' was also kind of interesting but not really... The fictional article was good though, I look forward to part two.

But this week's articles weren't the best.

But this week's articles weren't the best.

I don't mean to argue here, but this is a stereotype that gets put through almost every Tip.It Times thread. First just look at all of the replies to the articles, everyone is saying that the Dupe article and the Penguin article were very enjoyful. In my personal opinion these two articles have been the best articles in the past three months, setting aside from one or two articles in the past three months that could be debatable. Perhaps those two articles didn't peak your interest, but they certainly were very well done, and were pretty exciting to read, even if for the Dupe article we pretty much knew it already.

But I don't want to create a debate in this thread, I'm just pointing this out because it always appears in the article's threads, even when it's just a stereotype given to the Times.

------

I thoroughly enjoyed the Penguin article. That was pretty darn epic, but was insightful. I'll have to sleep with the lights on from now on tbh.

The dupe thread was nicely worded to fit in with the 'story-telling' feel of it, and it was a good read. Though I think Jagex should have done a rollback back then, but they were too inexperienced I guess. Even if they had a smaller playerbase, it would have been the best decision regardless.

i liked the first article, i've always wondered how that happened

the one about hip jagex was a good read too. :thumbup:

I agree i wish i had been there just to see it in action happening. I cant believse how some people always wanna "get rich quick" without actually playing the game. The only way to get rich quick is to play the game. Cheating and scamming is just plain lazy.

blue_pika515.png

74.png

Wow I remember seeing the free membership offer for info, but I never cared to look into what it was for because I just assumed they would get flooded with false reports. I was much to busy mining coal back then and in all honesty I just learned about the duping a couple years ago :lol: Nice to finally know what that offer was for though...

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

Party Hat Duplication Day - Enjoyed this. I'll look like a nut for saying this, but I kind of admire the person who found out about duplicating. Not because he is the source of the extra thousands of party hats in the game, but because he shared his story, & he did it well (he's got a lot of guts, I guess).

Pescaling Schmeskaling - Mm... all that bank fraud business was a joke, right? I threw my card away a few months after I finished Cold War, & I don't think the writer assumed we all kept it in the bank. I think those of you that kept the cards only lost them because you were going to get them back anyway. However, I agree with the fact that the Penguin Mafia is a much greater threat than The Pescaling.

Jagex Got Hip - The term "spoon fed" is so overused... Just because we know what's going to happen before content comes out, doesn't necessarily mean we wont enjoy it; Plus, there's always things you don't know until the content itself comes out. I'm happy with Jagex reaching out though. :thumbsup:

Only fear God,

Know the weapons of the weak,

The weakness of the hard.

Thanks for the comments guys. I don't write fiction as much as I write non-fiction, but I'm glad you liked it. I hope you enjoy the other part(s).... I'm not telling you how many parts in the story there are. =P

Enjoy!

FF13

-Runescape Addict --- Seven-time Writer for the Tip.It Times-

"Yes I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve. But I am the opposite of a stage magician. He gives you the illusion that has the appearance of truth. I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion." - The Glass Menagerie

DragonkinFF13Sig2copy.jpg

"This game isn't about graphics, it's about fun." - The Great Ortiz 9471

<> Dragon drops: Plateskirt(1), Half Shield(1) <>

I only read the first and third articles because I'm a f2p player.

Both of them were great IMO.

Clearly you, like our four authors, could use a proof-reader. I was somewhat disappointed to note that none of the articles this week were grammatically flawless.

To err is to human. Nobody is perfect. Don't tell me you don't make a single grammatical or spelling mistake.