11-Jan-2010 - Nomad�s Requiem

metoo1000

Jagex really can't win with you people. For years they have released almost nothing but low to mid level content and everyone complained. However in the last few months we have had genuine high level content (e.g. Ardy Elite Diary, Extreme Pots, and now this quest) and everyone complains that it's too difficult.

I can access the skill-based high level content but it gives me something to work for. I love it. Not everyone is like that ;).

And this quest is the second most fun quest I've done (first being WGS). The entire place had a high level feeling to it. A hard boss fight was really nice for a change although I would have preferred a fight with a bit more tactics involved and less brewspamming.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The hidden horrible part of this quest is that it feeds into the general arrogance and selfishness of the runescape population. This quest is orders of magnitude more difficult than the next hardest quest, and yet those that squeak by can't wait to brag about not knowing what the whole fuss is about. It's absolutely insane. The few who stand apart to admit we are struggling are labeled as "trolls" because we disagree with the swift and unaligned expectation of a quest which totally changes the spirit of a game we've spent the last five years playing.

And, naturally, there is little support, as anyone who's already beaten it can't wait to remind us of how obviously incompetent, unskilled, stupid, or just generally bad people we must be for disagreeing.

To those struggling, the only thing more obnoxious than those that ignore the key points of the argument that this is a horrible update would be the people who only post to add how the boss is "actually quite easy" or no big deal.

You just can't compete with abject, isolationist and indirect arrogance, I suppose.

stormveritas.png

I posted how I beat Nomad in hopes that it would help other people succeed as well. I don't have the highest stats, and it took me many (8?) deaths and several trial runs before I hit upon the method that worked for me.

Unfortunately stormveritas, not everyone who plays Runescape has the maturity level that you or I may desire. I wouldn't say your post is helping any matters though; it's more likely to start a flame war.

Tact.gif

I've come up to the point where I start bullroaring around the GE while thinking of a good strategy...

So that explains why I see such an increase in the number of people doing that there. :blink:

As for a strategy:

I just beat the nomad. :grin:

Stats:

90 attack

90 strength

88 defense

92 hitpoints

82 range

96 magic

70 prayer

67 summoning (got it just for this quest)

60 herblore

120 combat

Equipped:

Full melee void

Dragon dagger

Rune defender

Untrimmed skill cape

Dragon boots

Broad bolts

Fury

In Inventory:

Whip

Rune crossbow

1 Prayer potion (4)

12 Sara brews (4)

6 Super restores (4)

Rest was rocktail

Also had a tortoise full of rocktail, with left click option set to withdraw BOB.

I took 1 sip of a super set and ate a rocktail at the bank. Went down, prayed piety, and used up my dds specs. Then I switched to whip, and hammered away. During the fight, I ate the rocktail first to conserve my boosted melee stats, and withdrew as needed from my tortoise. Prayer potion ran out at about the same time my rocktails did. As soon as he started charging for his 2nd attack (the one that hits 75), I ran south of of minefield then due east to behind a pillar. No need to hide before then. While hiding, I took the opportunity to eat/pot. During freezing attack, I switched to rune cbow and eagle eye prayer, and used dds specs whenever the spec bar got above 50%. When he went in beserker mode, I also switched on protect melee prayer. Other than that, it's mainly sipping pots when you need it; most of the time I kept my hp above 32.

Void works because the 15% to accuracy and damage really helps, and its magic defense isn't too shabby. I tested void range before my successful fight, and it works well too. Good luck to you all.

Tact.gif

@ stormveritas

I've got the same stats as you, though less range and prayer. I beat it with dhide, whip and eating rocktails. I have 72 herblore and 75 prayer, and haven't unlocked the new prayer book. I died once using monkfish and once using rockfish.

The boss is actually really really hard for anybody not maxed combat and even for maxed people. You just have to get really lucky, and not get hit too much. This is definitely a boss meant to be killed in one go. That is why you respawn right next to your grave, because it is expected of you to die a few times.

I don't agree with anybody saying this boss is easy. I am actually quite surprised I even killed the guy.

Stellactic.gif

bossfight seems like a very challenging (but fun) fight to me :thumbup: do you guy's thinck that I could possibly stand a chance against him? :ohnoes:

i have:

78 atk

76 def

93 str

87 hp

82 range

71 prayer

i'm also kinda poor so no kick [wagon] equipment (like vesta's, statius or zammy spear) for me :cry: just a check, should i first train some more or could i already complete this quest?thancks in advance :wink:

You'd be OK i reckon. I have 80 range and 84 hp and those are the only stats i really used to kill him - not sure how much prayer makes a difference really.

13 Super restores, then fill the rest up with brews, plus BoB full with brews.

Just keep whacking him with ruby (e)s - be careful when hes about to hit 81 on you though because if your rubys spec on him then he might get a KO - well worth an extra sip of brew to allow for that. Try and dodge his 75 attacks (they come after the mines) by running out the mines through the gap and hiding behind either of the southern-most pillars.

Just have fun, you'll get it before long I'm sure!

Can you describe in more depth how you beat him? I have about the same stats as you, but 45 summoning (I'll probably train that higher before I attempt).

mrE.png

"We will certainly not be gaining money or members with this update. Instead, we are doing this for the good of the game, which is as dear to our hearts as it is to you."

- JAGEX, December 13, 2007

NomadDead.png

QuestCapeback.png

:D :D :D

If someone needs/wants I can post my set up when I get back home. Going to the movies here shortly though.

Took me about 15 tries but finally got him. :D

Congratulations!

And you got the first print screen of yobbo with a crown! ( I let him know :P)

sig2webzx7.jpg

I could use some hints for the meleespampart.

You mean when he goes into berserker mode? That was the easiest part for me, since he stopped moving around and activating special attacks. Keep piety on, but flick on protect from melee as well. Prayer drain is a non-issue since you'll be sipping super restores with some regularity. Keep an eye on your health (I stayed above 40hp), but he doesn't hit that often. Finish him off with whip and any dds specs you may have.

Tact.gif

You mean when he goes into berserker mode? That was the easiest part for me, since he stopped moving around and activating special attacks. Keep piety on, but flick on protect from melee as well. Prayer drain is a non-issue since you'll be sipping super restores with some regularity. Keep an eye on your health (I stayed above 40hp), but he doesn't hit that often. Finish him off with whip and any dds specs you may have.

He hits a lot on me. Last time so fast that I couldn't even heal.

And I used ranged.

priest_wiz.png

And I used ranged.

After looking at you stats, your best bet would be in meleeing him, or bringing along/sipping a range potion. Ruby (e) bolts may be tempting, but whip and dds hit more frequently, and your melee skills are slightly higher than range. For you, I'd also bring less rocktails and more brews/super restores because defense and healing are going to be extremely important.

Tact.gif

And I used ranged.

After looking at you stats, your best bet would be in meleeing him, or bringing along/sipping a range potion. Ruby (e) bolts may be tempting, but whip and dds hit more frequently, and your melee skills are slightly higher than range. For you, I'd also bring less rocktails and more brews/super restores because defense and healing are going to be extremely important.

I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Thanks :)

priest_wiz.png

I don't know what all the fuss is about, I killed him without touching any of the 30 brews my yak was holding. Yes, overloads and soul split helps but it doesn't make that much difference.

Jagex really can't win with you people. For years they have released almost nothing but low to mid level content and everyone complained. However in the last few months we have had genuine high level content (e.g. Ardy Elite Diary, Extreme Pots, and now this quest) and everyone complains that it's too difficult.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I don't know what all the fuss is about, I killed him without touching any of the 30 brews my yak was holding. Yes, overloads and soul split helps but it doesn't make that much difference.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You forgot to bold the yak. :-D

Tact.gif

Easier than I imagined. The middle part was a little harder because he healed a bit but otherwise, whip owned him pretty bad. I use d hide and brought rune crossbow although I only shot >5 bolts. 6 pineapple pizzas and the rest sharks. Unicorn helped a lot in the end. REMEMBER TO CALL YOUR FAMILIAR, I and almost died when I ran out of sharks in my original inventory.

nomad.png

Manitstinks.gif

lolud0.pnglol2ni3.png

It seems if you have access to a pack yak, soul split or overloads he's not too bad. For everyone else he seems to be hell though. Personally I wouldn't mind if they took out his healing back to half health, as it's not really a strategy you can prevent like the roots with the decaying avatar, and doing so would make the fight just barely possible for those around low 80 high 70 combat stats. I think that would be a happy medium between those who don't want him nerfed and those who do? This is from someone who's beat him at any rate.

Edit: forgot to include yak in the list of things that make him easy.

insipid_soup.png

It seems if you have access to a pack yak, soul split or overloads he's not too bad. For everyone else he seems to be hell though. Personally I wouldn't mind if they took out his healing back to half health, as it's not really a strategy you can prevent like the roots with the decaying avatar, and doing so would make the fight just barely possible for those around low 80 high 70 combat stats. I think that would be a happy medium between those who don't want him nerfed and those who do? This is from someone who's beat him at any rate.

Edit: forgot to include yak in the list of things that make him easy.

What you're suggesting would take it out of the Grandmaster classification entirely. Nomad was frustrating at first, but once I did some trial runs and got his attack pattern down, it's more of an issue of whether or not you eat at the right time. I'm not saying it was simple for me, but without trying it out yourself, it's difficult to explain.

Tact.gif

Technically, the classification (novice...master, grandmaster) is purely about the requirements to do the quest and the levels of the monsters in the quest. It has nothing to do with length of the quest, real life skill requirements (e.g. puzzles), storyline etc. The people who are complaining about the classification have simply misunderstood what the experience classification means.

This is the problem, though; we were initially told (upon the release of WGS) that the "Grandmaster" title would be far more than just another difficulty classification. Quests worthy of the title were supposed to not only be challenging (from many perspectives), but rich in the lore of Runescape. The fact of the matter is that Nomad's Requiem simply did not live up to expectations.

It's not at all a misunderstanding, as you suggest. Honestly, can you even compare Nomad's Requiem to While Guthix Sleeps?

----------

Here are my thoughts on the quest:

I knew that something was wrong after reading the announcement. I was excited at the thought of a Grandmaster quest, but was somewhat concerned when I saw that it would be a "medium"-length quest and would be "wildly different from While Guthix Sleeps". I also was disappointed in Jagex's decision to feature Nomad and the Soul Wars minigame. In my opinion, a Grandmaster sequel to the Legacy of Seergaze would have been more fitting; there wasn't enough back-story behind Nomad's actions (nor was there much interest) to warrant such attention, I believed. But whatever the case, I trusted that Jagex knew what they were doing and started the quest soon afterward.

Let me make this clear before I continue further: I ENJOYED the quest. It was certainly an engaging and worthwhile update, and I particularly loved that we were given the opportunity to face a Mahjarrat (or so he's believed to be) in a truly epic, concluding battle.

HOWEVER, I found practically every other aspect of the quest to be very disappointing. The one significant puzzle, while entertaining in a way, was ultimately too simple and reminded me of a watered-down variant of the Within the Light puzzles. I would have liked to have seen (considering that the entire quest was dedicated to infiltrating and exploring the Temple) additional puzzles of increasing complexity as we probed deeper into the dungeon. To be honest, having to lure a few elementals with bait and run through a chamber of corruption beasts to destroy the other machines were poor and unsatisfying substitutes.

Puzzles aside, I would also have liked to learn more about the creatures in the Temple and the workings of the Soul Obelisk. We were given absolutely no information to this end, other than the general idea that the Soul Obelisk harvests souls as a power-source and the creatures are there to either maintain the machinery or bother the hell out of you. I felt that we were being railroaded throughout the entire quest, really. :mellow:

I can't help mentioning (even though many others have already said so) that there was no motivation behind the quest. From the start, we were told to investigate Nomad's underground temple, and only because he seemed to have some secret plans he was keeping from Zimberfizz. We therefore invaded Nomad's lair and proceeded to trash the place (despite being warned off) while having "just a look around". None of this made sense to me, but it's not as if we haven't done much the same in other quests, so I continued on. After finally wrecking Nomad's security system (I much preferred Zemouregal's, by the way :P ), we barged into the throne room to confront him. I actually found this part amusing; Nomad understandably mistakes us to be an assassin (hell, after everything we had done up to that point, can you fault him?), while we insist that we were simply curious about what he was doing. We are then forced to fight for our lives as he leaps from his throne to attack us.

Now, I would have liked a better reason to fight him (even if he does seem to be a bit chaotic/evil, I would have first attempted to make an ally of him against Lucien, who happens to be a greater threat), but I overlooked it since a chance to duel a Mahjarrat was too good to pass up. I must say - the fight itself was phenomenal. I sympathise with the many questers who will be unable to defeat him due to the combat-intensive requirements, but, in my opinion, the concluding battle has set a new standard for quest bosses and combat in general (at long last). Runescape has been sorely in want of more dynamic combat, and I believe this is a step in the right direction. I won't ramble on about the matter, but this certainly departs from the standard "attack a monster and eat as necessary" routine. Players who come unprepared or AFK during the fight simply won't get anywhere in this case.

Anyway, while I greatly enjoyed the final battle, the rest of the quest left much to be desired and was unworthy of the "Grandmaster" title. Jagex obviously wanted to start the year off spectacularly by releasing a Grandmaster quest, but they've tarnished the title by attempting to do so here. As I and many others have said, Grandmasters were supposed to literally be extraordinarily rare, epic-level adventures which have been built up to throughout an entire quest series. They were advertised as essentially being culminating works of art, and I can't see how anyone can argue that Nomad's Requiem lives up to this description, even though it was great in its own right. Personally, I believe that any quest involving hand-to-hand combat with a Mahjarrat SHOULD be a Grandmaster, in all honesty; classifying such an experience as "Master"-level would be a disservice and a waste of potential. However, Jagex should definitely have taken more time to develop this quest, especially considering that it didn't have any history from past quests to fall back on. This could have worked out well, but the effort in creating the story just wasn't there, and I find that to be a terrible shame.

Interested in helping the Tip.It Crew?

Check out our Website Updates & Corrections Board!

Fey_Wanderer.png

The hidden horrible part of this quest is that it feeds into the general arrogance and selfishness of the runescape population. This quest is orders of magnitude more difficult than the next hardest quest, and yet those that squeak by can't wait to brag about not knowing what the whole fuss is about. It's absolutely insane. The few who stand apart to admit we are struggling are labeled as "trolls" because we disagree with the swift and unaligned expectation of a quest which totally changes the spirit of a game we've spent the last five years playing.

And, naturally, there is little support, as anyone who's already beaten it can't wait to remind us of how obviously incompetent, unskilled, stupid, or just generally bad people we must be for disagreeing.

To those struggling, the only thing more obnoxious than those that ignore the key points of the argument that this is a horrible update would be the people who only post to add how the boss is "actually quite easy" or no big deal.

You just can't compete with abject, isolationist and indirect arrogance, I suppose.

Squeak by? I screwed up multiple things with my set up and blazed through it with ease, and with 1/5 of my healing supplies leftover. In dragon hide because I was too worried about barrow repair costs if I were to die. This isn't "squeaking by" last I checked.

There's nothing to brag about, I just honestly don't see what made it so hard. The boss feeds you cues for all the attacks. Without some knowledge about the fight before going in, you may be surprised by a couple of the attacks, but once you know his tricks, it's not nearly as terrible as some people make it out to be.

Maybe it's the fact I knew he could hit extremely high so I was careful to keep my HP high, but I still feel that damned Avatar of Decay was a harder boss than the Nomad. I never, ever want to fight one of those again. :wall:

The Fremmenik guys don't like magic.

So? That didn't stop them from accepting the Group Fishing Guild Teleport from Baba Yaga when they were in trouble, did it?

they don't like magic created from Runecrafting

Baba Yaga lied and said that she found her runes lying around, whereas she probably runecrafted them

Again, so? I got my law runes from Commander Zilyana, my Astral runes from Spiritual Mages, and my water/earth runes from monsters in Waterbirth dungeon.

And if you read the dialogue, you would also notice it would be out of character for Vargas to sentence himself to eternal imprisonment because of his principles against the use of magic.

Finally, not liking magic is hardly an excuse when he's perfectly okay eating pies I cooked with lunar spells and I'm freezing lobsters with my ancient spells, after using magical teleport tablets to get myself to my house in Relleka in the first place.

oh boo hoo, a player with maxed stats and overloads found him too easy. cry me a river.

also, welcome to runescape, land of the whiners!

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

Wanna challenge? Try to find someone showing you how to do this on youtube, *not* using Soul Split, Pack Yaks, Steel Titans, and/or Extreme Pots.

-edit- I've also yet to see anyone use the pillar hide on yotube. They just tank that shiz.

im lvl 118 and i did just that actualy, no ss, 86 hp = 14 hp per brew instead of 16, no titan just tort, i used extremes for opening spec but afer i brewed they where useless

ill upload vid in a sec to show u

a_final_name.png