Saradomin godswords uses for slayer

I think it's all been said, but I'd like to echo sentiments of the SGS supporters. Perhaps the sun doesn't rise and set with this weapon, but it's versatile, useful, powerful, and fun. It carried my track through 99 slayer with ease, and saved me on familiars, food, and gave me the option to use BoB's more often to bank more goodies and make fewer trips.

I particularly enjoy SGS at Dark Beasts; really balances everything between power, pray bonus, pray retention, healing, and limiting total inventory slots.

Overpriced? Perhaps. But you can't buy it from me. You'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Halp I need 2 do teh clue scrollz @ lvl 50 wildy come halp me w72. (I'm kidding)

I think Sgs has become something of sentimental value, not a weapon of usefulness.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This really has nothing to do with slayer but a lot of people are talking about it.

I've been using sgs at tormented demons instead of claws now and tbh I'm pretty sure the increased speed of kills with claws saved me more prayer then the sgs special that hit high sometimes. It's just so unreliable with big hits that I really don't like using it.

But shouldn't you be using the abyssal whip then if you really into speed???? I'm sure they hit a lot higher than d claws.

I didn't mean only claws I meant claws for special weapon. I use bgs for normal attacks just because I want to use a gs and why buy an expensive one when I'm not using the special attack.

I think Sgs has become something of sentimental value, not a weapon of usefulness.

This may be the case, but I think the author of this thread was not stating it wasn't useful, but its usefulness wasn't worth the 60M+ price tag.

The OP is wrong for comparing a weapon to a single activity though, because at that point a AGS is just as worthless for slayer since its DPS is less than whip + claws.

The reason SGS is at its price is because it is good at alot of things, but not necessarily the best at everything it is good for. But Runescape is changing.

Speaking statistically, we are now at the point where, in most cases, DPS can be boosted to a point where it improves longevity more than some forms of healing. Before Dragon claws nobody would have even doubted SGS being the best weapon for lengthening your trip.

So at this point (in terms of longevity), the only thing the SGS is really the "best" of right now is DK's, but with new bosses on the way that could quickly change.

Choosing a weapon is a personal preference. So to someone like me an AGS is worth nothing, but an SGS is worth alot. To someone like you, maybe Claws is worth alot and SGS is worth nothing. But we can't really say one is one way or the other, because it's all opinions on how we use the weapons.

This really has nothing to do with slayer but a lot of people are talking about it.

I've been using sgs at tormented demons instead of claws now and tbh I'm pretty sure the increased speed of kills with claws saved me more prayer then the sgs special that hit high sometimes. It's just so unreliable with big hits that I really don't like using it.

But shouldn't you be using the abyssal whip then if you really into speed???? I'm sure they hit a lot higher than d claws.

... Considering you just mastered TD luring... I doubt you know...

First of all, whip sucks there. Zammy spear on crush is like 4 times better, and that's when whip has rune defender with it. I can count on my hands how many times my D Claws have hit under 500, and that includes my "01s".

Also, SGS doesn't speed up kills at TDs, which is what everyone aims to do. Speed is what matters with fast banking.

Sorry for the off topic post but is a z spear + claws better than using a bgs + claws at tormented demons?

First of all, whip sucks there. Zammy spear on crush is like 4 times better, and that's when whip has rune defender with it. I can count on my hands how many times my D Claws have hit under 500, and that includes my "01s".

Also, SGS doesn't speed up kills at TDs, which is what everyone aims to do. Speed is what matters with fast banking.

Sorry for the off topic post but is a z spear + claws better than using a bgs + claws at tormented demons?

No. I use BGS + Claws and it's beastly. Zammy Spear + Claws is just better than Whip + Claws. Getting around 35 kills/hour with current gear.

guido_49.png

I used to use a sgs for slayer, now I use claws. If I need healing I just flash soulsplit. The prayer saved isn't much especially since my usual slayer set up has 29 prayer bonus (sw cape + fury + pros top + v skirt). The only tasks I use food on is kalphite queen, kbd, and miths. I also only use protection prayer on those, with the addidtion of ct dags.

quit

No. I use BGS + Claws and it's beastly. Zammy Spear + Claws is just better than Whip + Claws. Getting around 35 kills/hour with current gear.

That works out to about 32 damage/second... Considering the slow attack speeds of godswords and luring times...that seems like a bit of an exageration.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

tl;dr

poor people can't afford something and are ranting about it.

/thread

Really? No, it's just saradomin godsword has almost lost its use at higher levels with soul split and the fact that you can hit extremely high with claws with extremes and turmoil which ends up saving more prayer then a sgs special attack. Tbh faster kills/more kills per hour > a few minutes longer trips.I thought it would be great at tormented demons but after I tried a trip with it I decided for more kills/hour instead of maybe 2-3 more kills a trip. If I'm going to use a gs I'd rather bgs + claws for special attack instead of a sgs.

I've had SGS for a long, long time. The novelty of having a GS never wore off for me, and the spec has certainly been useful but I would have got by fine without it.

And I am. I sold it a few days ago and bought some claws, the novelty of the special has not worn off yet. I still giggle everytime I do it. That outweighs any "mathematical" benefits you throw at me. It makes me laugh.

'Tis I, 'tis Vindice, 'tis I!

I didn't know TDs are weak to crush. I think it's pretty certain that SGS is worth it when you're using a steel titan there though. :P

For a serious slayer the SGS is no longer a necessity. If you are committed to slayer you are probably going to be using turmoil/piety on all tasks and therefore should have access to soul split. Yes you could use the SGS to help get more prayer but really its not necessary any more. Although if you have lower levels or are just doing casual slaying it still rocks.

4sDIn.png

Can someone tell me how the prayer drain rate of Soul Split compares to Piety? Is it as fast? Because that would make the difference as to whether the SGS is worth it

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Piety is .67 prayer points/second

Turmoil is .5 prayer points/second

Soulsplit is .5 prayer points per second, but you can flash it so it doesn't really matter. If you have to have it on 100% of the time anyway you should be using a protection prayer.

The SGS may not be quite as useful for slayer as it once was, but remember people are lazy.

1) Enchanted excalibur: This doesn't restore prayer, and usually on slayer tasks, prayers is more of a drain than HP is. EE is still an excellent substitute for slayer though as most tasks don't *require* prayer.

2) Summoning: Again HP isn't usually an issue for most slayer tasks. Bunyip is usually overkill in HP restoration.

3) Food: Some tasks are really far out of the way and lots of people would rather camp their entire task instead of banking every 20 minutes or so. Banking every 20 minutes to go back to a nech task in the Chaos Tunnels would not be fun at all.

4) Soul split: This works ok, but can be tedious to keep flashing through an entire task. Also drains prayer over time. SGS compliments Soul Split flashing quite nicely due to the prayer restore. But you cant use Soul Split on tasks that require protection prayer.

5) Bones to peaches: Tedious method but works ok as long as the NPC you are killing drops bones. Not quite a replacement however if you have to eat peaches mid battle to restore health.

The real shining point of the SGS (And why its the price it is) is boss-hunting.

If you do DK's at all you will know an SGS is, without a doubt, the best use of a special attack there. Claws may steal you kills from crashers, but if your not getting crashed, killing in one attack cycle less does very little for your trip's longevity. SGS on the other hand will add many additional kills not just from the Hp restore but from the prayer restoration.

I do own a SGS and can honestly say I hardly use it on slayer tasks. But when I use it at DK's its worth every GP I spent on it.

Well put.

I have an SGS and I either use it either out of easyness (At Nechs, dust devils with spec restores so I won't need food and don't need to bother with prayer flashing. I could bring claws but I dont like the fact I can't spec twice on one dustie, so it involves more clicking) or at things where it just shines such as Dks and Tds.

When reading the OP, I was thinking about maybe selling it, but then I realised: What am I going to use at Tds and dks? Or those stupid bandos teams that require a GS?

The "interest" part is interesting (lol?) but it doesn't apply to me since I have 100s of uninvested millions anyway, again out of lazyness.

I kill arma and sara. SGS and AGS need to stay high priced.

best drops (reasonably accurate/up to date): 1x Elysian Sigil (LS), 1x Arcane Sigil (cs), 4x Armadyl Hilt (solo at 100m, 100m, 50m, and 5m), 2x Saradomin Hilt (solo at 25m), 5x Draconic Visage (34m,1.2m,1.2m) and various cs/ls/ffa Nex splits.
Drygore Drops: 7 Longswords, 3 Maces, 3 Rapiers, 3 Off-hand Rapiers,  5 Off-hand Maces, 3 Off-hand Longswords

ROTS Shields: 12  Seismics: 16

Ascension Crossbows: 6  Spider Legs: 10

Countless Armadyl armour pieces, Saradomin amulets, Dragon Hatchets, and Fremenik Rings.
Range~Herblore~Construction~Constitution~Defence~Farming~Magic~Attack~Prayer~Strength~Summoning~Slayer~Mining~Dungeoneering~Firemaking~Agility~Magic Mastery~Summoning Mastery~Cooking~Smithing~Fletching~Thieving~Hunter~Woodcutting~Fishing~Runecrafting

Sold sgs

I tried claws + soul split

Hated having 30 prayer left over from semi flashing

Had to house tele or suicide every time

Annoying but good I guess <_<

that is where the ardougne (3) cape (after elite tasks complete) comes in --> tele to monestary for instant prayer refill for free, as many times a day as you like.

Sold sgs

that is where the ardougne (3) cape (after elite tasks complete) comes in --> tele to monestary for instant prayer refill for free, as many times a day as you like.

Actually the tele to monastery is infinite even without elite tasks.

The same can't be said for the patch tele though

Sold sgs

Actually the tele to monastery is infinite even without elite tasks.

The same can't be said for the patch tele though

Even better then :D I've just gotten very used to my elite one, so i didn't know. It's insanely practical (and renders the prayer restore from the fally shield (3) useless imo :)

House tele-> recharge prayer. And on tasks you just bring ppots.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

I only use my SGS anymore to spec at waterfiends / on task, at barrows, or at some bosses. When doing slayer, it's only used for spec, then back to whip + defender, or zamorakian spear.

It would make the most sense for me to sell it, however I have grown attached to it. I bought it back when it was 120m and it's still the best purchae I ever made, simply because I made at least triple that using the sword at bosses, and in savings from not having to eat sharks / drink ppots that much more.

It's usefulness has begun to expire, but it's still one of my favorite weapons, simply because without the SGS, I wouldn't have made all the money I have now to buy things like skills, armour, weapons, etc.

SGS is my baby.

Ok everyone, just do what I do.

Bring everything to tasks.

I claw spec when the difference between max prayer and current prayer is less than 5, and sgs spec when it's greater than or equal to 5. So I stay at full prayer and full hp at all times.

Then I swap to dfs and whip when spec runs out.

newsigh.jpg