Chaotic Rapier vs Longsword

Lep

Well, the discussion of what is "best" normally turns out to be an argument based on personal opinion. Which is why i worded my post the way i did. Generally referencing the whole CR/CLS debate.

But, since it's already been proven that the CR is general better then the CLS, i find it funny that topics like this are still made and discussed about a lot.

What i would like to see is research of exactly how better CR is then CLS at training/boss hunting. And if in fact that the whip has better DPM then CLS at training. Like maybe EXP/hr figures.

Maybe someone has already done this research, I'm not quite sure. I haven't read this entire thread and i haven't really looked into other discussions on the forum.

This thread has been around since those weapons came out; it's part of the reason why we know that the CR is superior almost everywhere. There have been exact figures and numbers -- read the thread.

And like SirIzenhime said, this thread exists for the purpose of finding out which is better. The only people arguing opinions (as opposed to facts) are angry CLS owners who try to justify their purchase. Sounds a little like you, incidentally.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Quick question.

Given that I already have a Divine Spirit Shield, which would be the best choice, Chaotic Rapier or Longsword? Most people pretty much agree that Rapier/Defender is better than Longsword/Defender at GWD Bandos / Saradomin, but when it comes to including Divine, I've heard mixed answers. Some people say Longsword/Divine is significantly better than Rapier/Divine, others say they're pretty much even. Which is it, really, and how big is the difference?

I'm currently leaning Rapier, as I can use it for Slayer if I ever feel like it. Also, for solo-ing bosses, I can always bring and equip a defender if it looks like I need the extra damage output (read: get crashed).

At Bandos, in decent gear, rapier and divine is slightly, slightly better than longsword and divine. If your gear is a little more welfare, it might go slightly in the other direction. Really, Bandos is insanely near the turning point between the two weapons without defender (with defender the rapier is markedly better).

At Sara, longsword and divine wrecks rapier and divine. Longsword might also be slightly better than rapier with defender, but maul will wreck both in that case (there is no defense value at which either rapier and defender or maul won't be better than longsword and defender, barring slash weaknesses or crush/stab resistances).

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

Well, the discussion of what is "best" normally turns out to be an argument based on personal opinion. Which is why i worded my post the way i did. Generally referencing the whole CR/CLS debate.

But, since it's already been proven that the CR is general better then the CLS, i find it funny that topics like this are still made and discussed about a lot.

What i would like to see is research of exactly how better CR is then CLS at training/boss hunting. And if in fact that the whip has better DPM then CLS at training. Like maybe EXP/hr figures.

Maybe someone has already done this research, I'm not quite sure. I haven't read this entire thread and i haven't really looked into other discussions on the forum.

This thread has been around since those weapons came out; it's part of the reason why we know that the CR is superior almost everywhere. There have been exact figures and numbers -- read the thread.

And like SirIzenhime said, this thread exists for the purpose of finding out which is better. The only people arguing opinions (as opposed to facts) are angry CLS owners who try to justify their purchase. Sounds a little like you, incidentally.

I thought a common poster that i see like you would at least look at someone's levels before making accusations as to what chaotic they own.

Anyway, I'm pro rapier for when i finally to get 80 dungoneering. As it would be more suited for my needs.

I guess i should have given the thread a bit more of a look through before i posted. But i couldn't be asked to read over 70 pages #-o

I'll look for these statistics.

Hexiled Razz. Player since March 8th, 2005.

Quick question.

Given that I already have a Divine Spirit Shield, which would be the best choice, Chaotic Rapier or Longsword? Most people pretty much agree that Rapier/Defender is better than Longsword/Defender at GWD Bandos / Saradomin, but when it comes to including Divine, I've heard mixed answers. Some people say Longsword/Divine is significantly better than Rapier/Divine, others say they're pretty much even. Which is it, really, and how big is the difference?

I'm currently leaning Rapier, as I can use it for Slayer if I ever feel like it. Also, for solo-ing bosses, I can always bring and equip a defender if it looks like I need the extra damage output (read: get crashed).

At Bandos, in decent gear, rapier and divine is slightly, slightly better than longsword and divine. If your gear is a little more welfare, it might go slightly in the other direction. Really, Bandos is insanely near the turning point between the two weapons without defender (with defender the rapier is markedly better).

At Sara, longsword and divine wrecks rapier and divine. Longsword might also be slightly better than rapier with defender, but maul will wreck both in that case (there is no defense value at which either rapier and defender or maul won't be better than longsword and defender, barring slash weaknesses or crush/stab resistances).

Nice point, people seem to forget this sometimes.

Some people like to bring up the point that CLS is better than rapier at high defence bosses, because the extra accuracy makes up for the loss of 1 game tick (speed).

Well, then maul would be better than longsword for the exact same reason...

The only other factor that comes in, is the shield spot, and then we are at your point. Only if you really want to use that divine or DFS or whatever, you want to use a longsword over a maul.

The rapier would allow you to kill the minions faster, thus ssing while taking less damage. So I'd say that if Green didn't already take that into account, rapier wins even more.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

The rapier would allow you to kill the minions faster, thus ssing while taking less damage. So I'd say that if Green didn't already take that into account, rapier wins even more.

Good point. Yeah, my analysis was strictly against the boss.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

As someone with rapier and longsword with divine, my feel-based analysis for bandos is that longsword has a slight edge over rapier when using divine. This would probably change with a defender.

But as noted above, minion kills are a LOT easier, allowing for more health from soul split between kills. It also means overload time is saved by doing the house tab trick for longer.

As someone with rapier and longsword with divine, my feel-based analysis for bandos is that longsword has a slight edge over rapier when using divine. This would probably change with a defender.

But as noted above, minion kills are a LOT easier, allowing for more health from soul split between kills. It also means overload time is saved by doing the house tab trick for longer.

House tab trick..?

Wait, do you mean turning on build mode so that your overload time and prayer doesn't drain..?

Edited by sumondskull6
Sumondskull6.png

House tab trick..?

Wait, do you mean turning on build mode so that your overload time and prayer doesn't drain..?

Yep.

House tab trick?

When you click on the house options button your overload timer does not go down, boosted stats don't go down, etc.

So if minions are killed faster you can do this for longer, making the overloads last a bit longer. Not a huge advantage at bandos, but it is a cool trick to know.

House tab trick?

When you click on the house options button your overload timer does not go down, boosted stats don't go down, etc.

So if minions are killed faster you can do this for longer, making the overloads last a bit longer. Not a huge advantage at bandos, but it is a cool trick to know.

It is a pretty huge advantage in larger/faster teams and slow spawn worlds though. If you're quick about it you can sometimes almost double your overload timer.

For some reason over all the posts, you all have forgotten the cannon argument. According to Zarfot, Chaotic longsword is better than Chaotic rapier because it makes the cannon more accurate (which I'm guessing is due to the higher stab bonus that CLS has).

And here's a link for proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXBiOS5NpeQ

So for slayer tasks that you hardly melee like daggs and cave crawlers, CLS would be the better choice.

For some reason over all the posts, you all have forgotten the cannon argument. According to Zarfot, Chaotic longsword is better than Chaotic rapier because it makes the cannon more accurate (which I'm guessing is due to the higher stab bonus that CLS has).

So for slayer tasks that you hardly melee like daggs and cave crawlers, CLS would be the better choice.

For dags, you don't want to use a chaotic anyway due to extremely high drain rate vs. negligible advantage.

For cave crawlers, sure, maybe. MAYBE. But it'll only be the tiniest bit better than the rapier, if at all. You lose a whole lot of melee DPS for that cannon DPS.

In fact, hell, if higher attack bonus is that big a deal for the cannon, wouldn't the MAUL be best? What's the rationale behind choosing CLS over rapier but not maul over CLS?

For dags, you don't want to use a chaotic anyway due to extremely high drain rate vs. negligible advantage.

For cave crawlers, sure, maybe. MAYBE. But it'll only be the tiniest bit better than the rapier, if at all. You lose a whole lot of melee DPS for that cannon DPS.

In fact, hell, if higher attack bonus is that big a deal for the cannon, wouldn't the MAUL be best? What's the rationale behind choosing CLS over rapier but not maul over CLS?

A balance between character dps and cannon dps? So for example the loss of character dps which comes from choosing CLS over rapier is smaller then the gain in cannon dps, however the same would not be true to maul and CLS? Just speculation, I don't really know but that could explain it.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

That would work if CLS was a good midpoint between rapier and maul, but it's worse than both. In max gear, maul is better than CLS at lower enemy defense than CLS is better than rapier, meaning that maul or rapier will always be better than CLS. That heavily implies that with a cannon you'd want to be choosing either rapier for melee DPS or maul for cannon DPS.

The difference between cannon accuracy with either cls or rapier is hardly noticeable and there hasn't been any real information about this as it's almost impossible to test the difference, and with the introduction of dragon defender cls might be better no more(if it ever was). If cannon accuracy really means that much then you'd want to use maul anyway, but as most cannonable monsters have really low defense already, the extra accuracy makes no difference at all.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

One reason you'd want a slower, more accurate weapon, sacrificing dps, is that you are looting or kiting or ss flashing a lot. However in these cases the maul also has the advantage (that is, kiting zilyana, ss flashing graar and looting at mutated velds/crawlers are the only realy applications of this anyway).

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

He also says he kills 5.5k of those an hour, which is faster then you can kill dags IIRC, which makes the difference.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

5.5k cannonballs, 650 kills. 5.5k is like 8 effigies per hour :blink:.

One reason you'd want a slower, more accurate weapon, sacrificing dps, is that you are looting or kiting or ss flashing a lot. However in these cases the maul also has the advantage (that is, kiting zilyana, ss flashing graar and looting at mutated velds/crawlers are the only realy applications of this anyway).

You can Soul split Bandos with a rapier ;)

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

5.5k cannonballs, 650 kills. 5.5k is like 8 effigies per hour :blink:.

Think he said effigy every 50 mins or so.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

You can Soul split Bandos with a rapier ;)

That would be pretty dangerous, though. Maul is the same speed as Graar's melee attack, so you can guarantee that he'll never hit while you SS flash.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.