Wilderness and free trade vote! - Now Closed

Jimmyw3000

576 members have voted

1. 1. Should Jagex reintroduce free trade and the old Wilderness?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Indifferent ...

There was nothing wrong with the old wild. It was never suppose to cater to safe activities. You were always suppose to know you had a chance of dying no matter what, and you were never guareteed to complete a lvl 3 clue scroll. The old wild is what made the game unique, complete freedom, no rules, no ethics, just an barren area where people could be malicious, back stabbing, low, whatever, and it was up to you to find a way to deal with that.

Seriously what's the point of the wild right now. There 's hardly a point in even having levels of the wild anymore. It might as well be redesigned to be another city with random minigames in it and recolored to have pink unicorns.

If there was ever honor or code of ethics in the wild, it wouldn't be called the wild. It would be an expanded duel arena.

Nothing wrong with the old wild? So if I looked up archives in the rants section, I'll see close to zero complaints about the mechanics of the wilderness? No complaints about prayer, saved items, teleports, tag teaming, monster safing, luring, previously attacked by buffer, 1 itemers, dropped items, etc, etc. etc.? Me thinks you have your rose colored glasses on a little too tight.

There was no complete freedom. You were limited to levels just like now (I prefer a no level Wild). You had one way and multi way areas (make it all multi way). You have teleporting (remove teleporting at all parts of the wilderness on PvP servers).

Anyway, most players wouldn't want the wilderness back as it was. Having played on full PvP servers, I think they prefer having all of Runescape as their battlegrounds. In addition to current rules, they just want to keep the drops of the person they kill also.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is, the Wilderness has, these past 3 years, been updated with relative safety in mind.

Consider these:

• Chaos tunnels entrances are all in Wilderness. Running from Edge to the nearest rope can be a potential PK camping spot.

• Corporeal Beast's dungeon is in Wilderness. It needs high level gear (or mass amounts of people) to be killed. Both liked by PK'ers.

• 2 Minigames in Wilderness.

• 2.5 Quests in Wilderness. (Both Summer quests, Defender of Varrock, Temple at Senntisten, WGS [bork] all require at least partially wilderness)

• Commonpalace Armoured zombie training says bye.

These need to be thoroughly considered.

That would make the wilderness an exciting/nerve-wracking place to be (like it's supposed to be), rather than just some boring, barren wasteland without any real threats.

Whatever happened to the concept of Risk vs. Reward?

77yLQy8.png

If your only reason for wanting the old wildy back is to kill players that don't want to pk then your opinion means nothing to me.

People are suppose to get killed by pkers when they go into the wild. Just saying.

No, there are those that legitimately want to kill those that are legitimately taking a risk. However, there are players that just want an easy kill. You know the ones that lurked below level 20 ready to teleport at a moments notice attacking abyss runners. These are the same types that if they could, would camp out at Lumbridge picking off respawned and new characteres.

Wait a second, wanting to kill innocent people in the wild who are not trying to fight was never suppose to be part of it? Last time i checked, rc pking, and killing anybody for the lulz was part of what made the wild the dangerous place it is SUPPOSE TO BE.

I didn't know peple who rc'd using the abyss were suppose to be able to do it mindlessly without any fear of dying. I could have sworn that it was purposely designed for pkers to be part of the risk when skilling in the wild. Unlike people at lumbridge, going into the wild meant you were aware that if you weren't geared to be attacked by a pker you needed to gtfo. The current status of the wilderness as an extension of safe areas for people to rc, do their clues, or do their greater demon slayer tasks is an abomination, not how it's suppose to be.

True, the abyss was set up to use PKrs as the danger for a trade off of easier rune running. Problem was, the "pkers" that camped there teleported at the first sign of resistance. They wanted an easy kill with little to no risk. I liked that to use the abyss you had to use the wild and risk PvP. The problem was with how the wilderness was set up. I didn't like the protect item prayer, the way the skull rule worked, how players could tag team one-way combat, etc. It was the poor game mechanics at the time that let players 1-item pk or easily teleport from problems that annoyed me.

At least with PvP servers (which will likely be modified to a keep what you kill system), two radical styles of playing (pvm and pvp) are kept separate.

The solution could simply be implemented to disable the prayer in wild and skull anyone who entered, although one iteming is probably inevitable in any pvp situtation, i don't exactly see why it is a problem. So the person is just annoying, its not like he can do much harm other than, well, annoy you. Teleporting in the wild is kind of the reason TB was put into the game though.

The wild definitely should be reintroduced on every server just the way used to be though. Whether you like it or not, killing helpless people is kind of what made pking fun for a lot people, especially those who didn't design their account purely for pking. Creating separate worlds just for pking is like putting all the sharks in the ocean into one giant cage, which takes out a lot of what the wild represented, which included hunting helpless people doing their clues or killing abyss rcers.

There is evidence the old wilderness was better

Complaints about the old wild were just people mad from dieing or being scammed, ect. There may have been some formal complaints, but so much as the wilderness today. The fact is, most people do want the old wilderness.

I just want to know if this is a real vote of not because it didn't feel like an official poll :unsure:

MY CAPES!

sig1.pngsig2.png

Dragon drops: Draconic Visage, Dragon Plateskirt, Dragon Med Helm, Dragon Platelegs

Other drops: Dragon Chainbody

e5lft5.png

Loot

↓↓

Verac's flail, Verac's skirt x2, Guthan's platebody x2, Guthan's warspear x3, Dharok's helm x2, Ahrim's hood, Ahrim's robeskirt, Torag's platelegs, Karil's top, Karil's skirt, Karil's crossbow x2

There was nothing wrong with the old wild. It was never suppose to cater to safe activities. You were always suppose to know you had a chance of dying no matter what, and you were never guareteed to complete a lvl 3 clue scroll. The old wild is what made the game unique, complete freedom, no rules, no ethics, just an barren area where people could be malicious, back stabbing, low, whatever, and it was up to you to find a way to deal with that.

Seriously what's the point of the wild right now. There 's hardly a point in even having levels of the wild anymore. It might as well be redesigned to be another city with random minigames in it and recolored to have pink unicorns.

If there was ever honor or code of ethics in the wild, it wouldn't be called the wild. It would be an expanded duel arena.

Nothing wrong with the old wild? So if I looked up archives in the rants section, I'll see close to zero complaints about the mechanics of the wilderness? No complaints about prayer, saved items, teleports, tag teaming, monster safing, luring, previously attacked by buffer, 1 itemers, dropped items, etc, etc. etc.? Me thinks you have your rose colored glasses on a little too tight.

There was no complete freedom. You were limited to levels just like now (I prefer a no level Wild). You had one way and multi way areas (make it all multi way). You have teleporting (remove teleporting at all parts of the wilderness on PvP servers).

Anyway, most players wouldn't want the wilderness back as it was. Having played on full PvP servers, I think they prefer having all of Runescape as their battlegrounds. In addition to current rules, they just want to keep the drops of the person they kill also.

Complaining about prayer? Seriously? Find a way around it, bring a different combat style...prayer is part of pvp too you know. I'm sure people complained about all of those, but i don't see any problem with those tactics. Those were all just forms of emergent gameplay to me. Explain why any of those destroyed the theme of pvp or the wild. The worst i could pick out of those is probably one itmeing, but those exist in any scenario where jagex allows for protection of items, whether through prayer or +1 worlds.

Teleporting definitely should be kept in the game. There's a reason you can teleblock people.

Pvp servers are kind of cool, but it lacks the element of being able to kill helpless people like you could in the wild. A battleground is not how i imagined the wild. The wild was unique in that it wasn't a battleground as much as it was a free for all area where people could do anything they wanted, and people had to be creative and smart in how they acted.

The only restriction was combat levels, but there is obvious reasons for that...other than that the wild was a pretty crazy and awesome place.

I think the poll has gotten it's own page to avoid people abusing the poll in anyway. To make it more secure, from fake votes from enlightened computer players.

Or because it isn't a real one. Further so since you don't actually need to log in to "vote".

I know someone put my screenname on that voting site without my consent, I'm actually quite pissed about it.

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

Complaining about prayer? Seriously? Find a way around it, bring a different combat style...prayer is part of pvp too you know. I'm sure people complained about all of those, but i don't see any problem with those tactics. Those were all just forms of emergent gameplay to me. Explain why any of those destroyed the theme of pvp or the wild. The worst i could pick out of those is probably one itmeing, but those exist in any scenario where jagex allows for protection of items, whether through prayer or +1 worlds.

Teleporting definitely should be kept in the game. There's a reason you can teleblock people.

Pvp servers are kind of cool, but it lacks the element of being able to kill helpless people like you could in the wild. A battleground is not how i imagined the wild. The wild was unique in that it wasn't a battleground as much as it was a free for all area where people could do anything they wanted, and people had to be creative and smart in how they acted.

The only restriction was combat levels, but there is obvious reasons for that...other than that the wild was a pretty crazy and awesome place.

And thats what we are fighting for :thumbup:

Nuke, old wild was definitely not flawless. However, I think it's definitely the lesser of two evils, compared to the new dangerous PvP.

One of my favorite hobbies was to go PK in Edgeville while disguised as a RC'er, and teleblock and kill all the RC-PKers :) It'd be fun to be able to hunt down cowards again

77yLQy8.png

Nuke, old wild was definitely not flawless. However, I think it's definitely the lesser of two evils, compared to the new dangerous PvP.

One of my favorite hobbies was to go PK in Edgeville while disguised as a RC'er, and teleblock and kill all the RC-PKers :) It'd be fun to be able to hunt down cowards again

Not only that but kill the green dragon slayers as well.

Ironically when I rced I enjoyed the rc pkers, it gave runecrafting a risky edge like no other skill had at the time. I haven't used the abyss since they took out the old wild, it's just not the same.

Making the wild a place feared once again would be fantastic.

clansig7.gif

Hi, NukeMarine. Do you know why you get skulled upon entering the abyss? So you can lose all your items if you die, duh! That proves it was intended to be dangerous, and not just a convenient way to RC. Besides you can buy back pouches now, which might make RC pking a money drain :!:

As well, you don't get skulled unlesss you attack first. That's the way it worked, which means that if you don't feel like killing others, you wouldn't be skulled in the first place, and you will be safe.

Most problems in the old wildy still exist in todays BH worlds y'know? Like praying, safing, luring, teleporting, etc etc.

Staurolite.png

Reading the arguments against implementing the old wilderness I am not seeing very good ones. The only argument against is people whining about how it will be inconvenient for them to do a clue scroll or runecraft (if you want to call that an argument).

I'm talking about complaints that PKERS!!!! had about the wilderness of old. You know, the guys that liked to fight other players. Not the strawmen some here are throwing out.

1. Pkers did not like the protect prayers. With a level 41 skill you have something that absorbs 50% of any melee damage. Even the new damage absorbing armor cannot match that in the level 70+ range.

2. Pkers did not like protect item prayer. It just encouraged 1 itemers that wanted quick kills with zero risk.

3. Pkers did not like that players could avoid being attacked by attacking an NPC. Now, this has since been corrected on the new PvP areas, but that's not the "old wild" now is it?

4. Pkers complained about teleporting because with just a level 21 spell you can escape someone with 99's in all attack styles. If you're skulled and in combat you should not be able to teleport was a common suggestion BY PKERS!!!

5. Pkers complained about tag teaming in single combat wild. Yeah, that's been fixed in PvP servers, but that's not the old wild now is it?

Oh yeah, look at your "Pvp servers are kind of cool, but it lacks the element of being able to kill helpless people like you could in the wild". How about we just give your character the ability to attack anyone and nobody can attack you. Should make for a blast of a game, for just you. It's a selfish way of looking at the game. The PvP servers do what the wilderness used to do, let you fight those that willingly go there. The PvP server IS THE WILDERNESS. Problem is for wimps that only want to attack helpless people that unknowingly enter dangerous areas, it's difficult finding an easy target.

Anyway, you guys can go on and on about how the old wild was better, but in truth its better now. The only thing missing is the free trade/keep what you kill rule. There's no benefit to game play and fun for a majority of players and pkers to bring back to the way it was. Update how kill drops work, further penalize potential abuse, and keep it to PvP servers.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

I'm talking about complaints that PKERS!!!! had about the wilderness of old. You know, the guys that liked to fight other players. Not the strawmen some here are throwing out.

1. Pkers did not like the protect prayers. With a level 41 skill you have something that absorbs 50% of any melee damage. Even the new damage absorbing armor cannot match that in the level 70+ range.

2. Pkers did not like protect item prayer. It just encouraged 1 itemers that wanted quick kills with zero risk.

3. Pkers did not like that players could avoid being attacked by attacking an NPC. Now, this has since been corrected on the new PvP areas, but that's not the "old wild" now is it?

4. Pkers complained about teleporting because with just a level 21 spell you can escape someone with 99's in all attack styles. If you're skulled and in combat you should not be able to teleport was a common suggestion BY PKERS!!!

5. Pkers complained about tag teaming in single combat wild. Yeah, that's been fixed in PvP servers, but that's not the old wild now is it?

Oh yeah, look at your "Pvp servers are kind of cool, but it lacks the element of being able to kill helpless people like you could in the wild". How about we just give your character the ability to attack anyone and nobody can attack you. Should make for a blast of a game, for just you. It's a selfish way of looking at the game. The PvP servers do what the wilderness used to do, let you fight those that willingly go there. The PvP server IS THE WILDERNESS. Problem is for wimps that only want to attack helpless people that unknowingly enter dangerous areas, it's difficult finding an easy target.

Anyway, you guys can go on and on about how the old wild was better, but in truth its better now. The only thing missing is the free trade/keep what you kill rule. There's no benefit to game play and fun for a majority of players and pkers to bring back to the way it was. Update how kill drops work, further penalize potential abuse, and keep it to PvP servers.

Obvious troll is obvious...

Reading the arguments against implementing the old wilderness I am not seeing very good ones. The only argument against is people whining about how it will be inconvenient for them to do a clue scroll or runecraft (if you want to call that an argument).

Yeah, now I think you're just living up to your avatar.

And the only argument for is people whining about how they want to try to destroy anyone who sets foot north of Edgeville. See, I can make generic negative-connotation statements too!

a70c7.png

Agreed

dcfclogo4.jpg

[Admin Edit: Attempting to publicly humiliate a user in your signature is inappropriate]

Quit Runescape... Dec 2001 - Jan 2008 on and off... mostly off.

Most of those things you listed are still problems in today's PvP. And don't you think they would have fixed the npc problem by now even if we had the old wilderness?

Your saying the new wild is better, which is clearly your own opinion. In fact, there is more evidence pointing toward the fact that old wilderness is better.

Oh man. I don't know how I feel about this. I wouldn't mind it...but at the same time this system right now is okay to, at least in my eyes.

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

1. Don't fight people who pray. Most people are like this, and as a result to get fights, most pkers didn't use protection prayers in 1v1.

2. LOL, 1 itemers don't get kills. LOL. Unless they're targeting someone AFK or get uber lucky with consecutive hits.

3. What? that made no sense. All you had to do is kill the NPC that was attacking them, then you're free to attack him.

4. Hello! Teleblock. Remember when people said "share I tb'ed", where do you think that came from.

5. Tag teaming still happens today. The other day I was mauling away at my opponent and got 2 specced by an ags because I didn't eat in hope of a KO.

In truth, none of your arguements make any sense. Especially 3 and 5. I don't think anyone has any problems mixing the best of the old and current together. So if you keep 3 and 5 in the old/future wilderness, I doubt anyone would quit over it.

To be completely honest, I never killed helpless people, the ones who are just exploring and don't wear anything, because it's kinda useless. I let them go on their merry way, and it's all good. There are people who do, but who can blame them? You're the one whos going around in a PvP area with no defences or food, so what if you die? Hop worlds or something and go explore again.

Staurolite.png

The problem is, the Wilderness has, these past 3 years, been updated with relative safety in mind.

Consider these:

Chaos tunnels entrances are all in Wilderness. Running from Edge to the nearest rope can be a potential PK camping spot.

Corporeal Beast's dungeon is in Wilderness. It needs high level gear (or mass amounts of people) to be killed. Both liked by PK'ers.

2 Minigames in Wilderness.

2.5 Quests in Wilderness. (Both Summer quests, Defender of Varrock, Temple at Senntisten, WGS [bork] all require at least partially wilderness)

Commonpalace Armoured zombie training says bye.

These need to be thoroughly considered.

That would make the wilderness an exciting/nerve-wracking place to be (like it's supposed to be), rather than just some boring, barren wasteland without any real threats.

Whatever happened to the concept of Risk vs. Reward?

Muggi I thought you would realize by now that the new runescape philosophy is that long safe grind->reward

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON