Wilderness and free trade vote! - Now Closed

Jimmyw3000

576 members have voted

1. 1. Should Jagex reintroduce free trade and the old Wilderness?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Indifferent ...

So, the old wild was just like /b/?

No? Just a more interesting and unique place than the rest of runescape.

The problem is that it would be increasing the risk of preexisting content (such as the Chaos Tunnels) while keeping the reward the same.

Not for the pker.

Anyways, I agree with NukeMarine. In terms of combating RWT, reintroducing the old wilderness is just taking a step backwards. Jagex would need to relocate and rework numerous features added to the wilderness after open pking was removed in order to make the appealing to the players. I'm not sure that its worth going to that much trouble simply because they want to shoehorn pking back into the wilderness. Whatever happened to the whole "if it ain't broke, don't fix it?" mentality that Tipit users have had for so long? The current system is not broken, and the old system was not perfect. There's no need to make things the way they were. It seems to me that most players have simply been blinded by the rosy tint of nostalgia.

I think pvp right now is pretty broken. I don't know about you, but lagville pking and putting all the pkers into a giant cage with safe areas 3 squares is a disgrace compared to what pking in the old wild was like. Not to mention the drop system and this crap with DP and EP. I can't get good drops unless i lose a bunch of money or wait an hour? What?

If memory serves, the old pk system wasn't really any better. Instead of packing everyone in and around Edgeville, pkers were generally concentrated just north of the boarder of the wilderness. Safety was still just a few squares away. It was also pretty crowded around there, especially in W18 and other worlds where pking was popular. The current system is far from perfect, and I will agree that the way drops are handled could certainly use some work. That being said, I don't think reverting back to the old wilderness is the best solution.

I'm not saying that there should be no risk in the game, far from it. However, why should there be risk involved in certain activities like level 3 clues in the first place? It's not like the expected return of one is very high, in fact on average you receive rather little. The only reason I can think of is that people remember how it used to be, and think that anything different is inherently inferior.

It seems to me that Jagex would be opening a big can of worms if they went through with this, considering the complaints that were common back in the day. Not to mention that they would be forcing a world idealized by long term players on some who where never around for the old wilderness in the first place, and are likely fine with the way things are now.

Artemis_42.png

"Those who know nothing, can understand nothing"

- Ansem, Kingdom Hearts

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just by making this bogus vote, they have declared that they lost the war on bots and RWT. From this point on, I fully expect RS to be considered from outsiders to be a botter's paradise.

I've been backing up Jagex for the last 3 years saying how they were right for fighting RWTers, gold farmers and botters at large only to have them admit defeat...

I am really disapointed in Jagex, I'm happy for my fellow friends who will enjoy original pking, but if it means I'll have to battle with more and more bots, it will definitely end my participation in this game,

Anyone saying this has no idea what a botter's paradise looks like.

Bots aren't dead in Runescape, they're stronger than ever. I can't even find a world without 3-4 Sorceress's Garden bots, I usually find at least 6 or 7 (not counting PvP or foreign worlds, haven't checked those). Recently I've been working on 80 Mining for Stealing Creation, and the concentrated coal and gold deposits are packed with bots too. Then you have the usual green dragon and pure essence bots, and the handful of bots simply training skills (I know a friend of mine likes pranking Firemaking bots).

RWT, too, is still prevalent. The trade limits might make RWT more difficult, but it also makes RWT more important to a lot of players - a lot of players simply don't want to deal with the hassle of street prices, but want new items soon after they come out. If they don't hit the jackpot, their last resort is RWT. There are plenty of RS communities that don't frown on cheating quite as much, and in those communities, RWT is still a raging wildfire.

Also, what RS looks like now, and what naysayers think RS will look like if free trade is returned to a limited extent, is nothing compared to other games that actually are paradise for botters. One of my favorite computer games of all time, Diablo II, has bots that are capable of taking down the hardest bosses more easily than most real players. The standard way to grind your character's level is to latch onto a "Hammerdin" bot and watch him single handedly destroy the final storymode boss and all the minions that are scaled to 8-person difficulty, and share a portion of the xp. The final remaining big community is on a website originally dedicated to distribution of bots, and a typical trade thread usually resembles "Selling out my bots finds from last night:" followed by a list of goodies twice as long as any legitimate player can hope to find in a week.

I'm not saying that there should be no risk in the game, far from it. However, why should there be risk involved in certain activities like level 3 clues in the first place?

I agree. It's not like you will become rich as hell if PK-ers can't attack you when your doing Treasure trails. I have done Treasure trail with Revs and PK-ers, and both had same result - average to above average items.

They should make it so that players doing Treasure trails in Wilderness can't be attacked. I would support that. Afterall, what's point of a PK-er killing a empty baged player?

They should make it so that players doing Treasure trails in Wilderness can't be attacked. I would support that. Afterall, what's point of a PK-er killing a empty baged player?

Just to [bleep] with people.

And I'd have to disagree with your reasoning for making it safe for people to do certain activities such as Treasure Trails. It certainly adds excitement to the game when you have to go do something and there's the risk of some murderers waiting to kill you.

Maybe I'm a bit biased because I play an MMO where there's unlimited PKing (can PK anywhere on the server, and there are no "safety zones" or non-PK servers) and your character is lost forever if you die. :)

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Just to [bleep] with people.

And I'd have to disagree with your reasoning for making it safe for people to do certain activities such as Treasure Trails. It certainly adds excitement to the game when you have to go do something and there's the risk of some murderers waiting to kill you.

Maybe I'm a bit biased because I play an MMO where there's unlimited PKing (can PK anywhere on the server, and there are no "safety zones" or non-PK servers) and your character is lost forever if you die. :)

I don't care either way. I mastered Defence skill at Magic axes, and was annoyed when Revs appeared. But i don't see the point of annoying people when doing Treasure trails.

Free trade is a win, but why not keep the PK worlds and have some worlds without pvp? I think thats a way cooler idea, personally.

Geekoverlord.png

98% Of teenagers surround their minds with rap music, if you're part of the 2% that stayed with rock, put this in your signature, ROCK IS BETTER!

Runescape has policies now?

archsupportei2.png

First barrows drop 12/12/08 - Aharims Robeskirt FTW XD

OR they intended to bring it back anyways and figured they could nail a record at the same time.

I thought the same too.

Imo, 1) They might be doing it for a record. 2) All could be fake. 3) They will bring it back. Guess we'll have to wait and see... Again, I hope Jagex bring it back asap!

Dark_Yeng.png

2002 - 2003 RuneScape Classic Clans: Wild Dawgs (WD). Court of Dragons (CoD). BlacKnights (BK). Black Dragon Knights (BDK).

2009 - 2010 RuneScape 2 Clan/Team: Hardly Dead (HD). Ex-Team Silent Ember (SE).

~ Hmong Pride ~

Just by making this bogus vote, they have declared that they lost the war on bots and RWT. From this point on, I fully expect RS to be considered from outsiders to be a botter's paradise.

I've been backing up Jagex for the last 3 years saying how they were right for fighting RWTers, gold farmers and botters at large only to have them admit defeat...

I am really disapointed in Jagex, I'm happy for my fellow friends who will enjoy original pking, but if it means I'll have to battle with more and more bots, it will definitely end my participation in this game,

Anyone saying this has no idea what a botter's paradise looks like.

Bots aren't dead in Runescape, they're stronger than ever. I can't even find a world without 3-4 Sorceress's Garden bots, I usually find at least 6 or 7 (not counting PvP or foreign worlds, haven't checked those). Recently I've been working on 80 Mining for Stealing Creation, and the concentrated coal and gold deposits are packed with bots too. Then you have the usual green dragon and pure essence bots, and the handful of bots simply training skills (I know a friend of mine likes pranking Firemaking bots).

RWT, too, is still prevalent. The trade limits might make RWT more difficult, but it also makes RWT more important to a lot of players - a lot of players simply don't want to deal with the hassle of street prices, but want new items soon after they come out. If they don't hit the jackpot, their last resort is RWT. There are plenty of RS communities that don't frown on cheating quite as much, and in those communities, RWT is still a raging wildfire.

Also, what RS looks like now, and what naysayers think RS will look like if free trade is returned to a limited extent, is nothing compared to other games that actually are paradise for botters. One of my favorite computer games of all time, Diablo II, has bots that are capable of taking down the hardest bosses more easily than most real players. The standard way to grind your character's level is to latch onto a "Hammerdin" bot and watch him single handedly destroy the final storymode boss and all the minions that are scaled to 8-person difficulty, and share a portion of the xp. The final remaining big community is on a website originally dedicated to distribution of bots, and a typical trade thread usually resembles "Selling out my bots finds from last night:" followed by a list of goodies twice as long as any legitimate player can hope to find in a week.

At what percentage of active players botting do you consider a game a botter's paradise? When the creators of the game don't bother enforcing their rules and openly admit we will have to deal with botters, gold farmers and cheaters they are in fact legitimising cheating. I must admit I don't play other games (MMO) outside of this one, so I can't compare much. But if the community at large don't care that their community is filled with botters and the creators of the game don't care either because these botters are paying for membership, why bother showing a highscore? I'm thinking I should join the 10-15% of players that bots seeing as there are no real punishment and Jagex are implying they won't try too hard to enforce their rules.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

Anyone saying botting decreased is a fool. The ONLY difference with bots is they are 100+ instead of 3-5. And LOL if you think RWT decreased in the slightest

I really find it amazing that a nearly maxed player can be so naive.

And I find it very odd that you read in my post that I said botting decreased or that I said RWT decreased...

I just said I was backing up Jagex in their efforts and they let me down.

I thought you were more intelligent than that...

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Apparently someone on the RSOF hacked the website and got all the coding for the page that you vote on, but at the same time he seems like kind of an idiot. I think someone who would understand it should go check it out and spill the finds with us on tip.it. XD

Geekoverlord.png

98% Of teenagers surround their minds with rap music, if you're part of the 2% that stayed with rock, put this in your signature, ROCK IS BETTER!

Runescape has policies now?

archsupportei2.png

First barrows drop 12/12/08 - Aharims Robeskirt FTW XD

I have a feeling that by the end of the day tomorrow the votes will be exponentially increasing, because by that time I guarantee several people will have made scripts that grab random names and vote for them.

I would be shocked if botters used script to help their cause!

langerkiller.png

I have a feeling that by the end of the day tomorrow the votes will be exponentially increasing, because by that time I guarantee several people will have made scripts that grab random names and vote for them.

Not talking about in game botters, I'm talking people who know how to code and want to put their coding skills to good use.

Almonds.png

Not talking about in game botters, I'm talking people who know how to code and want to put their coding skills to good use.

Sorry if this went over your head. This was a joke. Putting their coding skills to good use is a matter of point of view.

langerkiller.png

Sorry if this went over your head. This was a joke. Putting their coding skills to good use is a matter of point of view.

Eh i'm tired, my fault.

Almonds.png

That's what he's talking about too. Sarcastically. We already know people are using scripts like that. It's not exactly a secret/surprise :P

hzvjpwS.gif

I really have no opinion. I'm not going to vote. All I do in the Wilderness these days is clues. And they'll get a bit harder, and that's it?

Every time I visit the page I laugh, it's always full of stereotypical PKer names.

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

I really have no opinion. I'm not going to vote. All I do in the Wilderness these days is clues. And they'll get a bit harder, and that's it?

Every time I visit the page I laugh, it's always full of stereotypical PKer names.

I can pretty much garantee someone will vote or has voted using your name for this. You know the great community we've been hearing about for the last 3 years that was so great prior to the removal of trade limits? It's back in force and it has no use for morality or ethics!

langerkiller.png

Unique of wildy was that when you killed someone you get their items. No game had that!

They could implement it on bounty worlds after free trade. Thats what bounty hunter was originally designed for...

I can pretty much garantee someone will vote or has voted using your name for this. You know the great community we've been hearing about for the last 3 years that was so great prior to the removal of trade limits? It's back in force and it has no use for morality or ethics!

I know. :c

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod