01-Jun-2011 - Behind the Scenes - June

helring

Read the first line about auras. Cool.

Read that extra auras would be available to "loyal" members. Facedesk'd.

My guess is that you'll unlock items the longer you keep your membership without pause, meaning I'm out of luck. Been a paying member since the first day of P2P but I pay sporadically.

Just another money ploy. Funny how all this [cabbage] started when Mod MMG - Hero of Gielinor - stepped in. Wasn't the previous dude all about money, and wasn't MMG supposed to be the complete opposite? What a [bleep]ing farce.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going by the stickied thread on the FU section of the RSOF's the auras WILL have some form of in game benefit and not just be purely cosmetic. As others have said, this is just a cash shop but structured and worded in such a way that it makes it look like something different.

Sylpheed.png

Their ploy just might be working. I might renew membership when it comes out depending on what I see >_<

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Q. Will I get Loyalty Points for any previous membership?

A. Unfortunately not. We recently released the Veteran Capes to say thanks to some of our longer standing users. The Loyalty Program looks forward and gives everyone a clean slate.

God, you guys need to calm down and wait for information before completely freaking out all over BTS topics. Jagex isn't going to do microtransactions and people who've had membership for 10 years won't have anyone extra. Everyone who has P2P now and will keep P2P for the next year will get the same amount of points.

I'm actually looking forward to this, although it may seem a little unfair, I have no problem getting extra rewards for the $12 I pay monthly for 2 memberships.

Nothing really intrests me in this month so probably going to take a break and cancel my subscription. Especially when I read about the loyalty points, just reminds me of this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoYWdHe4tQ4

I can't decide which are the most awesome in the video:

1) Creepy voice "We got to have the money"

2) Fat woman "Omfg! Jagex don't care:/"

P.S The money cartoon guy KINDA looks like Mark Gerard.

Typical. Most people rush onto the bandwagon and jump to the worst possible scenario without knowing much of anything. If you read the BTS and used a little reasoning you would have seen that all the Loyalty rewards mentioned are cosmetic. Emotes, chat effects, clothing, and a veteran aura.

Also, nothing in the BTS says that all auras will come from Loyalty points. You can get some from it, but again, they will likely be mostly cosmetic. The most useful ones will come from ingame.

Tact.gif

Oh God...

When i first saw "Loyalty Points" i thought "Alright, maybe they're rewarding us for having our membership constantly active or something like that."

But when i saw what you guys are theorizing a impending doom came over me...

I never thought i would quit this game, but the day that some douche has a sheer advantage in bossing/PvP just because he forked over 30 bucks for an in-game item, is the day i kiss this game goodbye.

Praying that Jagex isn't that money hungry. But based on recent theories(The fact that they're not banning member's bots, ect) chances are looking grim.

EDIT:

[hide=more info]

From RuneScape's Facebook:

Mitchel : i hope this doesn't do a: Modern Warfare 3 where you have to pay "more" money to get more content that will be [cabbage]

RuneScape: ‎@Mitchell don't worry we won't make you pay anything extra. The loyalty program just takes into consideration how long you have been a member. It's nothing to do with micro-transactions, it's just some veteran benefits. ~Keildest

Well I guess that's something. :roll:

"In the portuguese BTS it gives more info : "Accumulating points is easy. You will receive Loyalty Points each month of membership. The amount you receive will increase over time, based on the period that you are an existing member. Players who accumulate points, but discontinue their accounts, receive fewer points the next time you sign. But do not worry, you can still build up again."

Just thought I'd drop by and answer a few questions and concerns.

Q. Are Loyalty Points like Micro Transactions and will Loyalty Points cost extra?

A. No, they're just a different currency if you like, given out to members each month to spend on the various cool rewards.

Q. Will free players get the aura slot?

A. The answer to this is in the name. It may appear on the interface for all players, but only members can equip and use the auras.

A. Unfortunately not. We recently released the Veteran Capes to say thanks to some of our longer standing users. The Loyalty Program looks forward and gives everyone a clean slate.

Q. Will I lose my points if stop being a member?

A. No, once you've earned the Loyalty Points the only way they'll disappear is if you exchange them for the rewards.

Q. What's the best way to earn Loyalty Points?

A. All members will get points. Concurrent members will accumulate points faster than someone who only subscribes for some of the time so it will take longer to unlock the different items and rewards.

Q. If I spot more questions on this that I think need answering what will you do?

A. Answer some of them! Some questions I may leave for the update itself as more details will be given then.

Q. Still here?

A. Just checking!

Hope that helps,

Mod Nexus.

[/hide]

THANK YOU GOD! *Wipes sweat off brow* Thought we almost lost RuneScape there...

Anywho, i just hope that i get a massive amount of points considering that i've been a constant member for say... Over four years now?

Hexiled Razz. Player since March 8th, 2005.

Oh God...

When i first saw "Loyalty Points" i thought "Alright, maybe they're rewarding us for having our membership constantly active or something like that."

But when i saw what you guys are theorizing a impending doom came over me...

I never thought i would quit this game, but the day that some douche has a sheer advantage in bossing/PvP just because he forked over 30 bucks for an in-game item, is the day i kiss this game goodbye.

Praying that Jagex isn't that money hungry. But based on recent theories(The fact that they're not banning member's bots, ect) chances are looking grim.

EDIT:

[hide=more info]

From RuneScape's Facebook:

Mitchel : i hope this doesn't do a: Modern Warfare 3 where you have to pay "more" money to get more content that will be [cabbage]

RuneScape: ‎@Mitchell don't worry we won't make you pay anything extra. The loyalty program just takes into consideration how long you have been a member. It's nothing to do with micro-transactions, it's just some veteran benefits. ~Keildest

Well I guess that's something. :roll:

"In the portuguese BTS it gives more info : "Accumulating points is easy. You will receive Loyalty Points each month of membership. The amount you receive will increase over time, based on the period that you are an existing member. Players who accumulate points, but discontinue their accounts, receive fewer points the next time you sign. But do not worry, you can still build up again."

Just thought I'd drop by and answer a few questions and concerns.

Q. Are Loyalty Points like Micro Transactions and will Loyalty Points cost extra?

A. No, they're just a different currency if you like, given out to members each month to spend on the various cool rewards.

Q. Will free players get the aura slot?

A. The answer to this is in the name. It may appear on the interface for all players, but only members can equip and use the auras.

Q. Will I lose my points if stop being a member?

A. No, once you've earned the Loyalty Points the only way they'll disappear is if you exchange them for the rewards.

Q. What's the best way to earn Loyalty Points?

A. All members will get points. Concurrent members will accumulate points faster than someone who only subscribes for some of the time so it will take longer to unlock the different items and rewards.

Q. If I spot more questions on this that I think need answering what will you do?

A. Answer some of them! Some questions I may leave for the update itself as more details will be given then.

Q. Still here?

A. Just checking!

Hope that helps,

Mod Nexus.

[/hide]

THANK YOU GOD! *Wipes sweat off brow* Thought we almost lost RuneScape there...

Anywho, i just hope that i get a massive amount of points considering that i've been a constant member for say... Over four years now?

By the time you posted this, we've already established that it isn't a micro-transaction payment for something and that previous membership credits don't count.

Altho, to the OP or whoever's in charge of editing the first post, might I suggest you take the "more info" out of hide tags? Maybe put it in a quote tag "more info" thingy?

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Typical. Most people rush onto the bandwagon and jump to the worst possible scenario without knowing much of anything. If you read the BTS and used a little reasoning you would have seen that all the Loyalty rewards mentioned are cosmetic. Emotes, chat effects, clothing, and a veteran aura.

Also, nothing in the BTS says that all auras will come from Loyalty points. You can get some from it, but again, they will likely be mostly cosmetic. The most useful ones will come from ingame.

However, when they release a BTS like this without any sort of clarification at all for a few hours... conclusions have to be made.

Also, they have pretty much confirmed that all auras come from loyalty points, and that they are NOT just cosmetic.

P.S The money cartoon guy KINDA looks like Mark Gerard.

I've met Mark Gerhard... he looks nothing like this cartoon.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I edited those posts into the first post.

To everyone talking about these items only being cosmetic, read again. The third sentence of BTW starts off:

Before the release of these buffing items,

Maybe the things which give buffs will be more expensive, requiring longer membership? We'll see I guess.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

However, when they release a BTS like this without any sort of clarification at all for a few hours... conclusions have to be made.

Also, they have pretty much confirmed that all auras come from loyalty points, and that they are NOT just cosmetic.

What they needed was clarification on how these Loyalty points were earned. Clarification was not needed on what kind of rewards you can earn, which are almost all purely cosmetic:

Earn Loyalty Points to unlock a fantastic range of items, from custom titles to unique emotes, exclusive new costumes and amazing auras in a new player worn slot.

Custom titles - chat effect -> cosmetic

Unique emotes - cosmetic

New costumes - not armor -> cosmetic

Amazing auras - we all know what Jagex defines as "amazing" :rolleyes: , mostly likely a veteran aura similar to the veteran cape -> mostly cosmetic

Therefore, I stand by my comment that people were (typically) being overly dramatic and rushing to conclusions without taking the time to think it through.

I edited those posts into the first post.

To everyone talking about these items only being cosmetic, read again. The third sentence of BTW starts off:

Before the release of these buffing items,

Maybe the things which give buffs will be more expensive, requiring longer membership? We'll see I guess.

I said the ones you buy with Loyalty programs will most likely be cosmetic, for reasons stated above.

You're reading too much into "Earn Loyalty Points to unlock .. amazing auras in a new player worn slot". Just because Jagex releases some auras through the Loyalty Points does necessarily not mean all auras will be released this way. I seriously doubt they will constrain an equipment slot this way without incorporating effort.

Tact.gif

Hmm based on constant membership..ok for me since I just have the one account and I have it on direct debit. Bit of a shame they don't take into account previous membership though as I've been a member for most of the past 7 years on the same account. I imagine these auras will have a very minor effect, I wonder if maybe they WON'T be allowed in PVP situations...

cakesncats056-1.jpg

What they needed was clarification on how these Loyalty points were earned. Clarification was not needed on what kind of rewards you can earn, which are almost all purely cosmetic

They only needed to explain it because the majority of Runescapers haven't played other MMOs and thus don't know basic systems Runescape doesn't use, like loyalty rewards. I had to read the BTS over several times because i couldn't figure out where people were seeing microtransactions before someone in this thread finally made the connection between the two.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

What they needed was clarification on how these Loyalty points were earned. Clarification was not needed on what kind of rewards you can earn, which are almost all purely cosmetic

They only needed to explain it because the majority of Runescapers haven't played other MMOs and thus don't know basic systems Runescape doesn't use, like loyalty rewards. I had to read the BTS over several times because i couldn't figure out where people were seeing microtransactions before someone in this thread finally made the connection between the two.

Forget other MMO's just grasp of general language and marketing.

Loyalty Rewards = rewards for being loyal.

Rewards = gifts/status aka not paid something you bought.

Loyalty = being a continued customer and thus showing brand loyalty

Ergo loyalty rewards are gonna be free stoofs for being a loyal runescape customer.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

[hide]

hAXMF.jpg[/hide]

Some loyalty program. I respect the gesture but that's basically a big 'screw you' to those who have already shown they were loyal before they even offered incentives.

hzvjpwS.gif

[hide]

hAXMF.jpg[/hide]

Some loyalty program. I respect the gesture but that's basically a big 'screw you' to those who have already shown they were loyal before they even offered incentives.

They raised a very good point though in that its a massive time scale to do it.

They have 170mil accounts that have ever had members.

Even if it took 0.1 seconds to check each account that'd be 17million seconds aka 28334 minutes (rounded up) 4723 hours; 196 days solid.

Plus it'd be impossible to balance some people would be due 9 years worth of points; it'd be mental to release rewards that cost THAT much on the first few weeks of the program as it'd mean or it'd mean people could jsut buy all the rewards outright.

As they put in in QA stuff quote nicely:

This is a loyalty program for future loyalty starting from the date it is launched.

You'll soon see the various levels of loyalty pan out as long term permanent members get the big boosts of points for consecutive months etc.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I had more issue with the fact that they somehow tried to compare years of paying for members and being loyal to the game to people who have played 5 years+ on f2p and then got members just to get a goofy cape.

I realize that it might not be feasible, but it certainly is a bit insulting no matter how they explain it.

hzvjpwS.gif

Forget other MMO's just grasp of general language and marketing.

Loyalty Rewards = rewards for being loyal.

Rewards = gifts/status aka not paid something you bought.

Loyalty = being a continued customer and thus showing brand loyalty

Ergo loyalty rewards are gonna be free stoofs for being a loyal runescape customer.

It's a clever way to get people to buy membership. I am 99% sure that Jagex's plan with the "Loyalty" crap is about money. And i bet there will be players going around with these "auras" thinking "I am loyal".

Reality is, and with Dave chappelle voice:

NO [bleep] your a addict!

It is a way to get people to subscribe more, but Jagex's job is to get people to subscribe more. To do so, they have to treat their free players with proper respect but also hold that carrot above their heads so they want to fork over some cash. Also to do so, they need to ensure that members are treated fairly so I'm sure there will be something to assist payers who don't get renewed several days before the subscription ends. Otherwise they stand to piss off and possibly lose people. Not a substantial amount, but people nonetheless.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png