01-Jun-2011 - Behind the Scenes - June

helring

I'm sure we all know what loyalty means; there's really no need to quote a definition. And no, for many companies, the only "loyal" consumers of their products are paying customers. The reason why so many people (myself included) initially thought this update could lead to micropayments was because of the ambiguity in the BTS. Thankfully, Jagex responded quickly and resolved the matter.

This update is a step along the way to micropayments - its just not the final plunge. But it definitely is another step closer.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will likely work like Runescape's membership price, where if you're under the grandfathered price it stays if you laps for a week (I think) for those whose cards expire.

Hopefully so, because within the past few weeks the credit card expired... But I do still have the old price. 4.60 per month, still. Happy days.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

90 Fishing to catch this:

140px-Cooked_rocktail_detail.png

You're comparing concept art that doesn't follow polygon restrictions to an in-game item. More like 90 fishing to catch this:

angler-fish_222_600x450.jpg

You dont catch rocktails in the depths of a great ocean though, you catch them with a fishing rod in shallow pools. They also don't look to be that large.

Thalassus is the size of the wizards tower. You can see an anchor on his back implying that he's very large. 70 fishing seems entirely too low to catch something like that.

E: I kinda feel like the big joke of the quest is going to be that the legend isn't warranted (its a tiny fish) but still. Low quest reqs are silly

4e0Vn.png

I was kinda thrown for a loop to be honest. The quest are fine, but a new slot? I didn't expect that at all :mellow:

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

Just thought I'd drop by and answer a few questions and concerns.

Q. Are Loyalty Points like Micro Transactions and will Loyalty Points cost extra?

A. No, they're just a different currency if you like, given out to members each month to spend on the various cool rewards.

Q. Will free players get the aura slot?

A. The answer to this is in the name. It may appear on the interface for all players, but only members can equip and use the auras.

Q. Will I get Loyalty Points for any previous membership?

A. Unfortunately not. We recently released the Veteran Capes to say thanks to some of our longer standing users. The Loyalty Program looks forward and gives everyone a clean slate.

Q. Will I lose my points if stop being a member?

A. No, once you've earned the Loyalty Points the only way they'll disappear is if you exchange them for the rewards.

Q. What's the best way to earn Loyalty Points?

A. All members will get points. Concurrent members will accumulate points faster than someone who only subscribes for some of the time so it will take longer to unlock the different items and rewards.

Q. If I spot more questions on this that I think need answering what will you do?

A. Answer some of them! Some questions I may leave for the update itself as more details will be given then.

Q. Still here?

A. Just checking!

Hope that helps,

Mod Nexus.

Hameigh.png

From RuneScape's Facebook:

Mitchel : i hope this doesn't do a: Modern Warfare 3 where you have to pay "more" money to get more content that will be [cabbage]

RuneScape: ‎@Mitchell don't worry we won't make you pay anything extra. The loyalty program just takes into consideration how long you have been a member. It's nothing to do with micro-transactions, it's just some veteran benefits. ~Keildest

Well I guess that's something. :roll:

There's still a huge chance that they're going to screw this up someway...

Well that clears up a lot of stuff :) Except I'm also wondering just how big the bonuses from any of these updates are, or whether they're just cosmetic. Despite me liking the fact that it's not YET a micro-transaction deal, I won't be happy if it means that any members have access to things other members don't, simply due to them paying jagex money for a longer length of time...

tifsiggy.jpg

Thanks to Quarra for the awesome sig!

Xbox360 Gamertag = Tintin113

"In the portuguese BTS it gives more info : "Accumulating points is easy. You will receive Loyalty Points each month of membership. The amount you receive will increase over time, based on the period that you are an existing member. Players who accumulate points, but discontinue their accounts, receive fewer points the next time you sign. But do not worry, you can still build up again."

I could see it being (if its not flat rate):

first 2 months = nothing

3 - 6 months gets x points a month

6 - 12 gets 2x points

1 yr - 2 yrs gets 3x

2 yrs+ gets 4x

so more loyalty = more reward

From this Portuguese BTS extra info I get to say:

CALLED IT

lol

I always subscribe one month at a time. So that means that i'm not a loyal member ?

A. Unfortunately not. We recently released the Veteran Capes to say thanks to some of our longer standing users. The Loyalty Program looks forward and gives everyone a clean slate.

Sooo, basically this is just yet another push to get more people to get members <_<

My Blog

2 Visage Drops.

Over 1800 Castle Wars Tickets..

110715145129.png

Errr.png

I won't be happy if it means that any members have access to things other members don't, simply due to them paying jagex money for a longer length of time...

But that's exactly what they're promising with this update long-term.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

I won't be happy if it means that any members have access to things other members don't, simply due to them paying jagex money for a longer length of time...

Pay more = get more. :thumbup:

But seriously guys, you should just pony up the money.

Gosh it feels great trolling members the same way they troll us f2pers.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Q. Are Loyalty Points like Micro Transactions and will Loyalty Points cost extra?

A. No, they're just a different currency if you like, given out to members each month to spend on the various cool rewards.

A. The answer to this is in the name. It may appear on the interface for all players, but only members can equip and use the auras.

A. No, once you've earned the Loyalty Points the only way they'll disappear is if you exchange them for the rewards.

A. All members will get points. Concurrent members will accumulate points faster than someone who only subscribes for some of the time so it will take longer to unlock the different items and rewards.

Q. If I spot more questions on this that I think need answering what will you do?

A. Answer some of them! Some questions I may leave for the update itself as more details will be given then.

Q. Still here?

A. Just checking!

Hope that helps,

Mod Nexus.

I don't have a credit card so i'm [bleep]ed. I usually pay by phone/sms; hopefully they're going to give like 2 days to resub after the membership has expired.

Pay more = get more. :thumbup:

But seriously guys, you should just pony up the money.

Gosh it feels great trolling members the same way they troll us f2pers.

Oh you big bully, you.

Though those people who've been paying for members only now and then over the long years are clearly not "loyal" enough in Jagex's eyes. And this business over everyone starting on the same level for this program? Meh.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

Heavily disappointed with this month's BTS. Absolutely nothing interesting at all.

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

I still don't like the idea of loyalty points. It means that someone who spends 20 years bankstanding has an advantage over people who play the best they can and max total in a few years. This is real-life payments influencing your bank.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

You dont catch rocktails in the depths of a great ocean though, you catch them with a fishing rod in shallow pools. They also don't look to be that large.

Thalassus is the size of the wizards tower. You can see an anchor on his back implying that he's very large. 70 fishing seems entirely too low to catch something like that.

While I agree that 70 is low to catch such a beast, don't forget: you catch rocktails all by yourself, but in the quest to catch Thalassus you're assisting Fisherman Jones.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

The Aura's I highly doubt will be game changing on a mass scale. I think they will all be cosmetic and just a little something to add to the repertoire of things in game to members.

I am looking forward to the fishing quest and the troll invasion though. :)

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

Last but not least, this month sees a huge selection of exciting rewards that youll be able to access through the Members Loyalty Program. Earn Loyalty Points to unlock a fantastic range of items, from custom titles to unique emotes, exclusive new costumes and amazing auras in a new player worn slot.

Dont forget to register within the first two weeks of launch to take advantage of our introductory offers on the fantastic selection of rewards!

Have fun!

Mod Mark

RuneScape Lead Designer

Then soon you can buy loyalty points to buy all kinds of cool things like emotes and hats! Team runetress 2.

Yeah that's exactly what I thought lol. Kind of surprised it took them this long to do this tbh.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

From RuneScape's Facebook:

Mitchel : i hope this doesn't do a: Modern Warfare 3 where you have to pay "more" money to get more content that will be [cabbage]

RuneScape: ‎@Mitchell don't worry we won't make you pay anything extra. The loyalty program just takes into consideration how long you have been a member. It's nothing to do with micro-transactions, it's just some veteran benefits. ~Keildest

Well I guess that's something. :roll:

"In the portuguese BTS it gives more info : "Accumulating points is easy. You will receive Loyalty Points each month of membership. The amount you receive will increase over time, based on the period that you are an existing member. Players who accumulate points, but discontinue their accounts, receive fewer points the next time you sign. But do not worry, you can still build up again."

Q. Still here?

A. Just checking!

Hope that helps,

Mod Nexus.

Can we please get some or all of the above quoted information edited into the first post? I was reading through 3-4 pages going crazy until I finally ran across the relieving confirmation that this won't be microtransactions.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png