05-Jul-2011 - Salt in the Wound

Tim

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My friends made pures today and got this message:

110706141417.png

I think they're both convinced now. In all seriousness, though, this is really desperate.

One could say that's really... pouring salt in the wound!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

td2sig.jpg

Not nearly as funny as the above, but the Dwarven Army Axe only has controlled settings, so if such a pop-up was actually effective in convincing them to become P2P, they'd just ruin their pures using the axe anyway.

2dgucz6.png

Anyone find it funny that f2p people wanted to see updates, now they get the odd inclusions such as these. They should be thankful to see Jagex is at least throwing them the occasional bone instead of letting them starve.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Anyone find it funny that f2p people wanted to see updates, now they get the odd inclusions such as these. They should be thankful to see Jagex is at least throwing them the occasional bone instead of letting them starve.

Since I'm now technically an F2P player, and to put it metaphorically:

I'd rather starve than eat this calcified slap to the face of a bone.

Seems like a role reversal alright - instead of removing advertising for P2P, they're putting more in - and in more pervasive ways. :@

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

So basically, you want to play but you don't want to give anything back to the company who's putting effort into your entertainment. Right.

If this was sarcasm, I missed it, but as far as my knkowledge goes back (2002) Jagex has held the position that the free game is an entity of its own and is NOT a demo of the paid version. The people who pay receive the opportunity of more gameplay for their money, but the paid version is NOT the "real" or "true" game, just additional content for supporting the makers of the game.

That is my paraphrase of Jagex's stance on their free vs paid game. I know there is probably record of them making a statement on it somewhere, but I dont tend to keep such records.

wessan.png

@ Urza285: I dont believe most people would consider an in-game pop-up ad as an f2p update.

@ everyone: Now what will you say when those pop-ups start advertising external products? If that pop-up had been pushing Mountain Dew or Tim Tams, what would have been your reaction?

Wow... youve been slaying those frosties for an hour now. And speaking of frosties, wouldnt a cold Mountain Dew hit the spot right about now?

Its sad to watch this game slide on down the way it is going. Its like watching an old friend die slowly and painfully. You wish they would just hurry up and cross over already. :sad:

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

Yea, I was just making sure AHappyBunyip understood why we were giving Jagex flak for their recent underhanded change in policy.

It's either that or the overwhelming sense of entitlement that everyone who plays Runescape seems to have. "OH GOD HARMLESS POP UP WHAT THE HECK JAGEX".

Why even care? Click the button to get rid of it and get on with your life.

Oddment1.png

@ Urza285: I don't believe most people would consider an in-game pop-up ad as an f2p update.

@ everyone: Now what will you say when those pop-ups start advertising external products? If that pop-up had been pushing Mountain Dew or Tim Tams, what would have been your reaction?

"Wow... you've been slaying those frosties for an hour now. And speaking of frosties, wouldn't a cold Mountain Dew hit the spot right about now?"

It's sad to watch this game slide on down the way it is going. It's like watching an old friend die slowly and painfully. You wish they would just hurry up and cross over already. :sad:

Back when MMG took over as Jagex head honcho from Iddison, the first thing he did as a career defining move was publicly apologise. He apologised for all of the advertising for the member's game in the free game, and the video ads that were appearing when you logged in the free game, and vowed to remove both. He also made it a policy to remove as many mentions of "You can only do that on a member's world" messages from f2p as possible, such as from pickpocketing.

It was akin to a new fresh-faced political party taking over a failed government and reversing nearly all of the unpopular policies of the previous one in one go. It was probably the most warmly received and universally applauded thing that ever came out of Jagex, short of the High Detail graphical overhaul update, and even them I'm doubtful. What's happened now is that the party 'in power' has taken on the policies of the previous one. It's either a terrible change of heart for MMG since then, or he's losing control over company policy. History is repeating itself, I just hope it continues to repeat to the part where Jagex has another correction in its policy in order to put the players first again.

Being British, I find the idea of product placement abhorrent, but I guess it might not be a big deal for people that are used to it.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

ONE POP UP?

GOOD LORD JAMFLEX IS MONEY GRUBBERING AMG Y U SO GREEDY

As stated before, Jamflecks is a company who needs to make money. If that means targeting people who PAY NOTHING for the game, then that's pretty reasonable.

PM me for fitocracy invite

As stated before, Jamflecks is a company who needs to make money. If that means targeting people who PAY NOTHING for the game, then that's pretty reasonable.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!

It's technically two pop-ups. Heh.

As someone with a mass of F2P accounts and only one paid account ever since the trade limit update - which has since been lifted, but no way in hell am I going to pay for more than one ever again - this advertisement is tacky and in bad taste. It's a reversal of MMG's policy.

He did apologize for P2P intruding on F2P a long time back. But that was then. This is now.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

Apparently the pop up also occurs at 10 mining (and 10 wc I would presume).

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

It's easy to try to be objective and dismiss the people who are upset about this, and it's done each and every time these tiny updates are made. But how long does this list of tiny tweaks have to get in order for those on the other side of the argument understand their opposite's concerns? It seems like those against it simply think people are being selfish or overreacting, yet so far it seems that those concerned about this trend are starting to be proven right.

hzvjpwS.gif

shouldn't jagex be annoying the people who pay to do nothing themselves in the game? aka bots.

dumb questions nvm, because bots do pay their monthly fees, nevermind the fact they make it back again selling to people. or getting xp. I'm sick of jagex be moneygrubbering swine, and taking money over quality of game. I miss the jagex who balled up and removed free trade in the first place.

meamzed.png

Back when MMG took over as Jagex head honcho from Iddison, the first thing he did as a career defining move was publicly apologise. He apologised for all of the advertising for the member's game in the free game, and the video ads that were appearing when you logged in the free game, and vowed to remove both. He also made it a policy to remove as many mentions of "You can only do that on a member's world" messages from f2p as possible, such as from pickpocketing.

It was akin to a new fresh-faced political party taking over a failed government and reversing nearly all of the unpopular policies of the previous one in one go. It was probably the most warmly received and universally applauded thing that ever came out of Jagex, short of the High Detail graphical overhaul update, and even them I'm doubtful. What's happened now is that the party 'in power' has taken on the policies of the previous one. It's either a terrible change of heart for MMG since then, or he's losing control over company policy. History is repeating itself, I just hope it continues to repeat to the part where Jagex has another correction in its policy in order to put the players first again.

Being British, I find the idea of product placement abhorrent, but I guess it might not be a big deal for people that are used to it.

MMG: So now that I've come into power I'll delete all those annoying ads and hand out free chocolate cookies!

People: Yaaaaay! MMG! MMG! *chant*

MMG's male assistant: Sir, there are papers you must see...

MMG: Shaddup can't you see I'm busy being worshipped?

MMG's male assistant: But sir it's urgent you must--

MMG: Grrr FINE! Hand those over.

MMG's male assistant: Uh, this graph shows our net profit last financial year

MMG: o_O_shocked_by_keiwo.png

A.....W-w-wwhatt?!?

MMG's male assistant: Sir this is what I've been trying to tell you...

MMG: I don't care how you do it, quick find ways to make up that money!

MMG'S male assistant: but--

MMG: Just shut up and just do it! I don't care how!

Hey- YOU! Drop that cookie you're eating right now, I'm having that back!

Player: Huh? But you just gave it to me--

MMG: *snatch*

Player: Hey! WTF D:<

MMG: What? Sod off. FLOUR IS EXPENSIVE.

How it played out in my head ^^

2480+ total

Yea, I was just making sure AHappyBunyip understood why we were giving Jagex flak for their recent underhanded change in policy.

That was never the policy to begin with. People have been saying one thing and doing another for millenia. I can't believe you haven't got the memo yet.

That was never the policy to begin with. People have been saying one thing and doing another for millenia. I can't believe you haven't got the memo yet.

You seem to have missed when MMG removed certain intrusive advertising in the F2P game - or how a skill like agility lost its use in F2P. Not to mention how F2P could once solve P2P-based puzzle rooms in Daemonheim. Though I think they still can with one particular room.

It's a bad thing for a games company to be hypocritical.

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

You seem to have missed when MMG removed certain intrusive advertising in the F2P game - or how a skill like agility lost its use in F2P. Not to mention how F2P could once solve P2P-based puzzle rooms in Daemonheim. Though I think they still can with one particular room.

It's a bad thing for a games company to be hypocritical.

I want my gnomecopters back!

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

I want my gnomecopters back!

You will be fined for flying without a license, which you can only buy in members. Flying while under the influence? That'll cost you your soul, so have a care with those wizard mind bombs.

1emk2e.png