25-Oct-2011 - Bot-Nuking Day: Making RuneScape Fairer and More Fun!

Da_Latios

I think he's stalling in a desperate bid to keep his subscribers and cheaters clients. The Cluster Flutterer appears to be the name for a combination of measures designed to stop the bots from working, one of which is dynamically changing the variable IDs of items/npcs/etc. Has Jacmob got a basic bot working...? Possibly, but there's no way it can be distributed due to the constant changes that probably need to be made to it to keep working for more than an hour or two each time and it's probably easily detectable too. It's my opinion that Jagex is even letting him experiement with trying to hack the client by not immediately banning his test accounts while logging everything he's trying to do and ultimately letting him fall into a trap.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Takes 2 weeks to prepare bot.

2. Announces ETA within 24 hours.

3. Blames Dominion Tower update on hampering progress.

4. Stalls more time.

5. ???

6. Profit.

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

By the sound of it, the people designing this have done something extremely clever. You can't stop bots, but you can force them to have to update frequently enough that it becomes impractical to run or distribute.

Similarly, tracking for erratic behaviour (suddenly stopping after doing a repeated activity etc.) as soon as variables such as object IDs change is an effective auto-detection mechanism.

This whole thing is most impressive.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I think I have seen a couple of bots today. Saw one with 99 fish and pretty much everything else 1 and he also didn't speak at all.

Just because someone doesn't talk doesn't make them a bot. There's the public off/friends option for a reason. If players were forced to respond to every wanna be mod that asked them questions that option wouldn't exist.

By the sound of it, the people designing this have done something extremely clever. You can't stop bots, but you can force them to have to update frequently enough that it becomes impractical to run or distribute.

Similarly, tracking for erratic behaviour (suddenly stopping after doing a repeated activity etc.) as soon as variables such as object IDs change is an effective auto-detection mechanism.

This whole thing is most impressive.

Certainly. Concerning bot detection, I imagine there really aren't many bots left in the game at this point. Maybe Jagex will kill off the rest by sending JMods after them :lol: That'd be fun to see. Let the developers kill the pest, then have the mods take out the trash :P

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

Certainly. Concerning bot detection, I imagine there really aren't many bots left in the game at this point. Maybe Jagex will kill off the rest by sending JMods after them :lol: That'd be fun to see. Let the developers kill the pest, then have the mods take out the trash :P

From the 98% figure Jagex gave (they seem pretty fixated on that number so they must know what type of bots are in what sort of numbers) and an average pre-nuke population of ~200,000 we can figure that there are still ~2000 playing at any given moment now. The majority of those are simple auto-clickers (mostly alch bots as the mouse doesn't have to move) but some of them are color-bots.

Alching really needs a change. It's way too easy for anyone to cheat with an autoclicker. Many don't even consider it cheating when it's such a simple thing to do. I know many who got high mage levels doing that. I find it pretty dumb really.

And if it was fixed, there would be less people alching so it would be less inflation too.

Amonitas.png

Quest cape since 11th July 99 Farming 4th February 99 Cooking 31st August

Alching really needs a change. It's way too easy for anyone to cheat with an autoclicker. Many don't even consider it cheating when it's such a simple thing to do. I know many who got high mage levels doing that. I find it pretty dumb really.

And if it was fixed, there would be less people alching so it would be less inflation too.

I would simply prefer two changes:

a) cannot alch noted items (this doesn't make sense anyways...)

b) alch has an option to work like the string jewelry does. It would either show up a "make-all" screen with that item, or it would simply auto-alch every copy of that particular item from your inventory (not every item ofcourse)

This would mean no one needs an auto-clicker since it does it for you, and also it would slow down and not allow the alch to be abused on noted items.

Too many people would complain though...

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Guest jrhairychest

Where did all the 'expert' programmers go? You know, the ones who said Jagex couldn't do it or indeed anyone else for that matter?

Where did all the 'expert' programmers go? You know, the ones who said Jagex couldn't do it or indeed anyone else for that matter?

They disappeared into the woodwork as soon as they realized that oh snap Jagex did just do it.

Clearly jagex didn't stop all bots from working. However, I myself was not properly educated as to what methods the bots were using, and therefor was still thinking that all bots were image recognition based (not client hacks). This meant that I would never have come up with their solution. (Of course, hind-sight is 20:20, so it is easy to see how it would work now, but that doesn't mean I have the genius to actually create it originally).

Pretty much all of the expert programmers didn't fullly understand the problem. It is common for people versed in a field to have distrust when someone makes a bold claim (that has never been done before.) Even understandable. I would be saying it's not possible.

Also, no one is claiming the solution is a guarantee.. but we believe that it takes more effort to crack than it takes Jagex to re-scramble everything.

Serena_Sedai.png

I don't think anyone expected that they would have been so delayed in releasing it, and those who thought Jagex couldn't do it were thinking that nothing had been started. I know I had.

hzvjpwS.gif

Guest jrhairychest

I don't think anyone expected that they would have been so delayed in releasing it, and those who thought Jagex couldn't do it were thinking that nothing had been started. I know I had.

At least you're honest about it. This thread is making a nice change from the usual anti-Jagex stuff.

They disappeared into the woodwork as soon as they realized that oh snap Jagex did just do it.

Clearly jagex didn't stop all bots from working. However, I myself was not properly educated as to what methods the bots were using, and therefor was still thinking that all bots were image recognition based (not client hacks). This meant that I would never have come up with their solution. (Of course, hind-sight is 20:20, so it is easy to see how it would work now, but that doesn't mean I have the genius to actually create it originally).

Pretty much all of the expert programmers didn't fullly understand the problem. It is common for people versed in a field to have distrust when someone makes a bold claim (that has never been done before.) Even understandable. I would be saying it's not possible.

Also, no one is claiming the solution is a guarantee.. but we believe that it takes more effort to crack than it takes Jagex to re-scramble everything.

Lmao nice post. I agree the solution is no guarantee. They've said at Runefest they got some more stuff in the pipeline but they're not saying as they don't want to give a 'heads up' to the bot sites and they seem pretty confident that what they've done will work well.

Lmao nice post. I agree the solution is no guarantee. They've said at Runefest they got some more stuff in the pipeline but they're not saying as they don't want to give a 'heads up' to the bot sites and they seem pretty confident that what they've done will work well.

It has worked better than any update they've made before (besides perhaps RS2!) So by that measure it has been a resounding success.

Serena_Sedai.png

Guest jrhairychest

It has worked better than any update they've made before (besides perhaps RS2!) So by that measure it has been a resounding success.

Agreed. Just a thought, I wonder if the expert programmers have been banned for botting.........................? :-#

Agreed. Just a thought, I wonder if the expert programmers have been banned for botting.........................? :-#

I hadn't thought of that.................

Serena_Sedai.png

Why would that matter.

I didn't believe that Jagex was ready to go with the anti-bot update by the time they announced that they would "never stop to combat it". It's pretty easy to jeer Jagex's efforts at that point in time, but now, all you really can do is stand in awe of what they did for the time being.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

System update in 3:15:05:24

Looks like the robots will be back shortly (3 days). We all knew this was coming, but this soon?

Why the heck would you have a countdown for a coding project? I doubt the countdown means anything, really. It doesn't make sense to me. Anyway, I think the (Jagex) update this week will push back the bots even more. Besides, the last countdown a bot site put up, was to inform its users that they were suing Jagex.

Flyingjj.png

System update in 3:15:05:24

Looks like the robots will be back shortly (3 days). We all knew this was coming, but this soon?

Why the heck would you have a countdown for a coding project? I doubt the countdown means anything, really. It doesn't make sense to me. Anyway, I think the (Jagex) update this week will push back the bots even more. Besides, the last countdown a bot site put up, was to inform its users that they were suing Jagex.

Some coding projects can be estimated. This one? Not bloody likely.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Now I don't know if this possible, but say jagex develops some sort of mechanism in the client code, that if another programme taps into the code it sends back harmfull information.

Some sort of nuke-through-the-hole-in-the-firewall if you will.

Ok, I am a real noob when it comes down to technical stuff, so idon't shoot me for coming up with out-of-the-box thinking... :mrgreen:

"He
really
calls himself Noobz?"

Sheep.gif

[hide=STATS]Noobz.png[/hide]