The Evolution of Combat: BETA discussion

Leon S

The problem with a change like this is that anyone with a reasonable amount of levels is going to have a huge learning cure and likely not like it. Its the same reason that when your trying to get someone to try out wow you don't let them play on your maxed character you get them a level one and get abilities as you go.

Whilst there are definitely issues with the beta I agree that this + the whole change takes time to adapt too are factors.

After all we do basically have to relearn every single weapon, armour and monster for this change (even if they sort out the issues we want them to sort) so that's like thousands of permutations to reclassify in our minds made all the trickier by the fact we can't just go and forgot the 'old' info yet as we still need it in our heads for the live game.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

The whole equipment interface needs reworking imo, it gives very little information at the moment. It'd be nice to be able to see individual item stats again etc.

This. There's very little information about the class system as a whole or what kinds of defense your armor has and there's no information at all about penalties.

Did people do the fight caves really fast pre-beta gameplay or something? :P

I did the caves this evening in 54 mins and 50 seconds. It's the fastest I've ever cempleted the caves, and I spent a few minutes on Jad. If I could 10 second-kill him like I've seen a video of, could've done it in probably 51-52 minutes.

I agree that it's a little slower killing the bats and little golem thingies (for lack of better words atm), I feel the abilities make up for it as I kill other enemies a bit faster. The KO potential the caves had before is pretty much gone except for Jad who can still hit a good few thousand damage in one attack, but prayer is simple enough to switch. Did a video on it, but it isn't up yet. Will post it here once it's uploaded. I talk about my setup and abilities a little at the start. They probably arent the best, but it worked well for me.

Did people do the fight caves really fast pre-beta gameplay or something? :P

I did the caves this evening in 54 mins and 50 seconds. It's the fastest I've ever cempleted the caves, and I spent a few minutes on Jad. If I could 10 second-kill him like I've seen a video of, could've done it in probably 51-52 minutes.

I agree that it's a little slower killing the bats and little golem thingies (for lack of better words atm), I feel the abilities make up for it as I kill other enemies a bit faster. The KO potential the caves had before is pretty much gone except for Jad who can still hit a good few thousand damage in one attack, but prayer is simple enough to switch. Did a video on it, but it isn't up yet. Will post it here once it's uploaded. I talk about my setup and abilities a little at the start. They probably arent the best, but it worked well for me.

People could do it in 30 minutes if not faster.

Anyone else find that no single-way wilderness is a huge step back?

It also means that anywhere that requires combat is easily overpowered by a cannon and ability spamming. Add onto this the strange new exp-gain formula, and it seems like it will almost be impossible to train slayer or even normal combat.

hzvjpwS.gif

Yes. I'm hoping that beta is multiway everywhere, but that is just for testing.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

It also means that anywhere that requires combat is easily overpowered by a cannon and ability spamming. Add onto this the strange new exp-gain formula, and it seems like it will almost be impossible to train slayer or even normal combat.

True enough. I find combat extremely hard to level for a number of different factors. Why would they limit your training options like this? You either face something much more powerful than you, and you never hit and get crap exp, or you're restricted to the few monsters that actually fit the <30 criteria.

crossed_body.png

People could do it in 30 minutes if not faster.

Ah indeed. Searched them up on youtube. Doubtful the caves can be done as fast as that with the beta.

I didn't use turmoil or soa so that could make it faster. Haven't tried soa in the beta yet though.

It's still the beta so it might get changed.

DG didn't looked so [bleep]ed up after I tried myself, zombies died a lot faster (using pba), and I managed to kill some mages with pba with minimal time, also did a solo kril kill with no pray, and it was easyscape, but it took sooooo long, guess solo bossing is out of the question now

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

So are mage and ranged actually viable alternatives to melee combat now? And is mage combat a viable training method compared to alching/superheat/string/etc.?

-mage is pretty strong now best coupled with barrages,fire surge, or storm or armadyl and it kills meleers pretty efficiently, range destroys mages and it acutally decent against melee (when theyre dual wielding instead of using a shield).

-mage combat seems to be getting faster and cheaper ( fire surge only uses fire and air runes) but i am not sure how the xp works in this beta or how it will work when it is released so thats not for sure.

My biggest thing about beta is, godswords are almost useless along with claws. and dungeoneering seems to take a solid amount longer and youll need to smith armour to survive now.

also so far in beta what is the best dual wield? cls's, rapiers, or some mixture of them?

I wouldn't say godswords are useless, I won quite a few fights with them against people. Although duel wielding and properly using abilities seems to beat out a 2h weapon. It would be nice to give each godsword a little something else. Maybe someone similar to barrows set effects where they randomly kick in.

I think the system your talking about is fine. In my experience in the beta, dual wield generally beats 2h, but 2h will generally be much better against players using tank abilities/shields.

patr1ckotg1.png

Dump death rune, buy master wand.

There are going to be a lot more wands. Ahrim's wand is one of them, so it'll probably be somewhat cheap. Death runes seem like they'd drop, but it's too soon to say how things will end up.

Remember, this is the beta. The real update isn't coming out for SEVERAL MONTHS. Please hold your speculations, everybuddy.

Speaking of confusing trading shenanigans... what is wrong with this picture?

betatards.png

I dub thee betards.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

There are going to be a lot more wands. Ahrim's wand is one of them, so it'll probably be somewhat cheap. Death runes seem like they'd drop, but it's too soon to say how things will end up.

Remember, this is the beta. The real update isn't coming out for SEVERAL MONTHS. Please hold your speculations, everybuddy.

I dub thee betards.

It is not a speculation, it is affecting the live GE.

Besides, the new wands are all rare drops and I wont expect them to be cheap.

Void mace is equal to bat wand.

Edit: Uh, not holding it of cause.

I dub thee betards.

It is not a speculation, it is affecting the live GE.

It's affecting the GE because of speculation. If everyone on the planet listened to my sage advice (dohoho) this wouldn't be happening. Shit can change real fast in betas, is what I'm saying.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

It's affecting the GE because of speculation. If everyone on the planet listened to my sage advice (dohoho) this wouldn't be happening. Shit can change real fast in betas, is what I'm saying.

Just stay quite and buy up all the deaths. :-#

Trying is just the first step in failure.

Fire_God.png

At this point, anyone speculating on the GE is going to be more concerned with what the panicked masses are going to do than anything grounded in reality, because if there is going to be one thing being ignored in the price changes over the coming months, it's reality. The real trick is anticipating what people will think about things, and trying to guess at Jagex's next move in anticipation of more fluctuations.

And the people who don't want to put up with all that hopefully liquidated their holdings on the same day that all this beta stuff got announced (or even sooner when they realized this would be coming this year) and can hope that the value of money doesn't go down to much. Actually, we probably stand to have some inflation as it stands now since the plummeting prices have vaporized billions of gp out of the game, at least until prices go back up.

My concern has been some missing tier items. What I have understood thus far has been that items have been much more aligned to tiers. We are currently missing ganodermic kiteshield, armadyl boots, ganodermic wand and orb. I'm not sure what the equivalents of these are/will be, but I'm interested to see their release.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

True enough. I find combat extremely hard to level for a number of different factors. Why would they limit your training options like this? You either face something much more powerful than you, and you never hit and get crap exp, or you're restricted to the few monsters that actually fit the <30 criteria.

A lot/most of the monsters have had their combat level changed, so there could be more thatfir the criteria.

Also do peopls lnow how to reset their account to level 4? Or could you only do it at the very start before you logged into the beta?

howlin1eeveesig.png

[hide]

betatards.png

[/hide]

Kinda sad tbh. 1000s of players couldn't gain access to the beta. And these people are using it to gamble.

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101