11-Dec-2012 - Player-Owned Ports

chenw

After all these months I FINALLY got a 10k captain that beats my pre-existing captains in terms of preset traits and even he is a seafarer with a tactician trait.

They reallllllllllly need to give us a means to remove traits from captains -.-

Too much player control.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Yeah cause player control in a minigame where we control an entire port and control the giving of traits to them is a bad thing that must be avoided. Really the fact we even get to pick our crew and voyages is too much control it should just tell us what it decided to do and remove all tactics and planning from the equation.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Yeah cause player control in a minigame where we control an entire port and control the giving of traits to them is a bad thing that must be avoided. Really the fact we even get to pick our crew and voyages is too much control it should just tell us what it decided to do and remove all tactics and planning from the equation.

Dude, its a slight random stat generator. Get over it lol. Runescape needs more things like this anyways. There is way too much in runescape that has hard numbers as it is (more like 99%).

• Like 1

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Dude, its a slight random stat generator. Get over it lol. Runescape needs more things like this anyways. There is way too much in runescape that has hard numbers as it is (more like 99%).

RNG rolls don't fix the problem of boring, static values, they simply determine if you will receive a positive or negative one. Jagex wields the RNG as a blunt instrument, employing it when they can, but not necessarily when they should.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

And it's not even like giving us more control over the captains traits removes the randomisation factor. There's still randomness in rolling voyages to get (or remove if added) traits and there's randomness in the 'personal bonus' factor of stats and there's randomness in all the crew traits and personal bonuses.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

After all these months I FINALLY got a 10k captain that beats my pre-existing captains in terms of preset traits and even he is a seafarer with a tactician trait.

They reallllllllllly need to give us a means to remove traits from captains -.-

I agree. It just seems like the perfect rare trait-styled voyage, similar to how Oxhead & Horseface is a good rare crew member and joint voyages are semi-rare. Hell it can even be terribly hard and only available in the last region if that helps concerns of difficulty.

Right now I'm trying to desperately build up my chimes again. Burning through nearly 200k chimes in the past month or so has secured me a combat captain with only Plucky as its trait (now has x3 tactician), a seafaring captain with x2 +100 seafaring (now has x2 1% seafaring), and a feral chimera with Leader trait. So many shitty captains...so many shitty crew members...*shudders*

I've also sold off all my scrims and stopped flipping them for fear of divination causing the price to fall out on them. I really think that's why we're getting a ports update so soon, not because of "slots" that need filling out. I mean, they do need filling but they could've easily waited longer.

hzvjpwS.gif

How do you use up so many chimes?

Hire & fire in search of crew with the good traits.

Oh I just wait til the right man for me comes along and then I make him my own.

The problem is the Traits. If you get a captain with negative traits, and another 10k caption comes along, then you fire the negative traits and hire the new one in hopes that the RNG gods shine their blessing upon the new captain.

EDIT: And you can't know the traits of the captain/crew until after you hire them.

maraxussig4.png

Chimes also tend to get used up faster than steel does when you roll crews, so generally you only have to look at his chime vs steel count to see if he has been hiring crew for traits.

On a side note:

Nearly at 250k steel now. 227 or so Chi, 189 Plate and nearly 200 lacquer, nearly maxed out trade goods.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

Is there no longer a price floor on trade goods? I thought I heard something about that during the "make all the ports sets worth the G.E. value of their nex counterparts" fiasco but then it wasn't ever mentioned again. I have a DL hood that has not sold in like 3 days...

EDIT

Insta-sell was at 1.55 m which makes it 52 k per lacquer.

Is it just helms that won't sell ?

witchynosaur.png

Armadyl Drops : 4 Hilts; 3 Chestplates; 2 Chainskirts; 1 Helmet; 1 Buckler; 2 Shard 1; 2 Shard 2; 1 Shard 3

Nex : 1 Zaryte Bow

Kalphite King : 1 Drygore Rapier ; 1 Drygore Longsword : 1 Drygore Offhand Rapier : 1 Drygore Offhand Longsword

The price floor is the wilderness coin conversion value, and for helm it's only 500k, compared to for example chest, which has a wilderness coin value of 5m. From that perspective, helm is flat out inferior to make than chests, so I'd imagine that's where the lack of sellability of helm came from.

(also, from the gp per lacquer point of view, helm is worth just over half as much as a chest per lacquer, making helms an extremely poor option to make for cash).

the whole "make port armor sets worth as much as Nex sets" was either a hoax or it was simply NEVER going to happen, ever (in no small part because PoP tradeable armor can never be repaired, and disintegrates when it dies.)

tim_chenw2.png

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)

Thanks for the info, no more making helms. And I was referring to when they changed the coin drop value on superior sets and loads of people cashed out by dying in the wildy with their sets.

witchynosaur.png

Armadyl Drops : 4 Hilts; 3 Chestplates; 2 Chainskirts; 1 Helmet; 1 Buckler; 2 Shard 1; 2 Shard 2; 1 Shard 3

Kalphite King : 1 Drygore Rapier ; 1 Drygore Longsword : 1 Drygore Offhand Rapier : 1 Drygore Offhand Longsword

2zhf4o4.png

Decided to cash in. Why am I incredibly doubtful I'll get anywhere near this total? :P

10250k each plate, instant. The rest won't sell several mil below guide, lol.

5.5m SS tops, 3.5m bottoms... I don't know if this is worth reporting since they weren't instant.

Some Elements sold 400k each instant when I put them below that.

2dgucz6.png

Thanks for the info, no more making helms. And I was referring to when they changed the coin drop value on superior sets and loads of people cashed out by dying in the wildy with their sets.

That happened for a rather brief amount of time (less than a day IIRC), and as far as I am aware, it was unintentional to be that high.

tim_chenw2.png

That happened for a rather brief amount of time (less than a day IIRC), and as far as I am aware, it was unintentional to be that high.

I'm sure it was unintentional, I just thought I remember the price floor being 133 k per trade good before that whole fiasco.

witchynosaur.png

I've just reached the bowl (jade area), I was wondering if I should focus on crew then ship upgrades like usual or go straight for the 4th ship?

Getting your third and forth ship takes priority over EVERYTHING ELSE.

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

I've just reached the bowl (jade area), I was wondering if I should focus on crew then ship upgrades like usual or go straight for the 4th ship?

Getting your third and forth ship takes priority over EVERYTHING ELSE.

Really? Was not the consensus all those pages back fewer successful voyages > more failed voyages with new ship early on contributing to the later due to the fact you simply cannot get high percentages early in a region due to lacking the upgrades and having weak crew to level up. Making the 4th ship especially redundant early in the region as you simply do not have the means to send out that many voyages at a reasonable success rating.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Then the concensus has been topsy turvey.

Still, more voyages, means you unlock the other region faster...

But if you can't even do a regions voyages well due to lack of crew levels and ship upgrades the next region is the last thing you really want or need as it'll just make matters worse.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I prioritized getting the ship over crew/upgrades, and in all cases I had enough time to get a full crew and upgrade all the ship things for a region before I got to the next region with the exception of transitioning from jade to steel. Steel took forever to upgrade crew and ship.

On another note, I finished the kill Quin trio story, with a merchant and a FOTS. Yay.

Still need some 10 plate and chi missions :(

But if you can't even do a regions voyages well due to lack of crew levels and ship upgrades the next region is the last thing you really want or need as it'll just make matters worse.

As far as I could tell, average difficulty of a voyage increased as the distance you travelled increased. But I believe it was also tied to your ship count. Every time I got a new ship, the voyage difficulty dropped a chunk, and I was still able to send out ships.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014