11-Dec-2012 - Player-Owned Ports

chenw

I have to say, strapping a merchant to every ship I own was probably the best idea I've had in ages

This is great *if* you are 100% all voyages.

Anything less than 100% it's not so great; if you happen to succeed its all good but if you fail due to less than 100% then the extra percent from a normal crew man could've made the difference between no pay out and pay out.

This is great *if* it were possible to 100% all voyages.

as it stands, the game seems dead bent on handing you mission requirements that increase regardless of how clever you are at strategically positioning yourself, with no way to judge how close you got to succeeding on a numerical level (yes it is possible to fail a 100% mission because I've done so) so counteracting said risks by increasing rewards by a hefty 20+% in certain scenarios where a fifth crewmember can't actually help you by an appreciable level (like in a multiple stat mission where you can't push the lowest stat higher) or on a mission that's stacked hard enough against you that whatever you do isn't going to significantly force the odds away from "kinda meh", I'd take the 20% reward increase over the few percentage points that might matter but I can't really tell because the game seems to be saying one thing and doing another

making my wins bigger feels like it works better than hoping that my losses don't hurt my wins too much

You cannot fall at 100% Jmods confirmed this. Either you encountered a bug or you misremembered.

And you can judge how likely failure is numerically it's quite easy.

0% = fail

100% = win

Scale inbetween.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

actually, since people have been talking about it, i kept track of everything so if it happened, i'd be able to confirm it

i even checked the possibility that the game rounds up to 100% if you're close enough to the target even when you're not (this does happen) and it did not apply to this case

but i guess your logic is infallible isn't it

edit: i actually got a low success warning after successfully arranging a 100% mission

i think something in the interface is failing to refresh properly

it went away after i exited the interface and tried again

8f14270694.jpg

You cannot fall at 100% Jmods confirmed this. Either you encountered a bug or you misremembered.

0% = fail

100% = win

Scale inbetween.

That Jmod made a mistake/misunderstood. It's not one or two people complaining about it, just on the hlf there's a lot.

Apparently the problem is the rounding used. If you have say a 99.X % chance of succeeding, it displays 100% success rate, but still uses the true success rate. With on the order of 100k voyages being completed a day, there will be quite a few people that will have this problem.

Asmodean <3

0% = fail

100% = win

Scale inbetween.

That Jmod made a mistake/misunderstood. It's not one or two people complaining about it, just on the hlf there's a lot.

Apparently the problem is the rounding used. If you have say a 99.X % chance of succeeding, it displays 100% success rate, but still uses the true success rate. With on the order of 100k voyages being completed a day, there will be quite a few people that will have this problem.

So that would fall under the option of 'a bug'

The jmod was right in saying it shouldn't allow for any fails at 100%, the bug is in that it should be taking 99.5+ to 100 but it is always rounding down.

And tbh even with hlf rantings I sometimes wonder how true it is as a large scale issue; I mean if it was really all that common surely more than like 1 person would've mentioned it on the tip.it thread, surely more places than hlf on rsof would be showing spam about the issue. Heck I'd even expect after this long anyone, like myself, who does ports everyday would've seen the issue occur by now.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Then maybe for the purpose of informing people instead of saying "you can't" we should simply say "there's a bug right now where a small population can still fail at a displayed success of 100% due to a rounding error but it's rare" etc etc

Otherwise we're just having roundabout arguments on semantics again.

hzvjpwS.gif

I have to say, strapping a merchant to every ship I own was probably the best idea I've had in ages

Anything less than 100% it's not so great; if you happen to succeed its all good but if you fail due to less than 100% then the extra percent from a normal crew man could've made the difference between no pay out and pay out.

That's a kinda silly way to look at it. Let's say you do voyages that give 100 resources. With +20% resource bonus, that's 120. But if that reduced you to, say 90% success, you're still getting 108 on average. At 80% you're at 96 average. So at over 80%, it's a better idea to bring a +20% resource guy than to elect for a 100% chance without him.

However, when you fail, it might not simply reduce the resources gained to zero. Crew members could die, ship might need repairs, or on a lighter note, you might actually recover a chunk of the resources from the mission reward. Depending on how often these occur, it could really affect the calculations.

Remember, hindsight is 20/20. If you somehow fail a 99% voyage with a merchant-type, who could've been replaced with someone to get 100% success, don't blame him. It's all about the averages.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

This is great *if* it were possible to 100% all voyages.

as it stands, the game seems dead bent on handing you mission requirements that increase regardless of how clever you are at strategically positioning yourself, with no way to judge how close you got to succeeding on a numerical level (yes it is possible to fail a 100% mission because I've done so) so counteracting said risks by increasing rewards by a hefty 20+% in certain scenarios where a fifth crewmember can't actually help you by an appreciable level (like in a multiple stat mission where you can't push the lowest stat higher) or on a mission that's stacked hard enough against you that whatever you do isn't going to significantly force the odds away from "kinda meh", I'd take the 20% reward increase over the few percentage points that might matter but I can't really tell because the game seems to be saying one thing and doing another

making my wins bigger feels like it works better than hoping that my losses don't hurt my wins too much

Before the hook region, I'd argue that if you can spare another crewmember on a voyage of less than 100% it shoud be the golem since losing a crew member costs more than lost goods. However, that merchant's 20% increase in wealth would make me consider a higher risk of failure. It's a numbers game and a fun one. I've been avoiding riskier voyages, but it seems reasonable to put a merchant in there for voyages that are higher than 80% assuming it doesn't lower your success chances. Hell, I might even drop a 100% mission down to 90% if it meant a 20% increase in reward.

• Like 1

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

I am sure that if later on we find out that there is an issue with the interface, you or the others who assume all of those cases were attributed to human error will not retract a single word of anything you confidently claim now.

In fact, I should just forget about due process anymore, since it's clear that popular opinion is apparently the highest form of proof.

anyway

other person up there, feel free to chase single digit percentages while on average my profits exceed the cost of risk

8f14270694.jpg

I dont know if it has been posted yet, but Megs lamps stack with any 'bonus' xp you have. Huge Hunter lamp gave about 130k for me today, not a problem.

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

Voyages seem to be going much more easily in the Scythe for now, sent out three ships earlier with 100% success for all of them, and just sent out another three ships each with 100% success again.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

voyage difficulty in a region scales up as you get better at that region. So it will start out easy, but be careful how you progress.. it seems to get a lot more difficult.

has anyone noticed if the trade goods in the scythe are better or not? (more quantity?)

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Damn I accidentally sent a suicide mission for cherrywood. Meant to load up more seafaring, but sent early... SOB!

Oh well. Seems unlocking an area might automatically give you a story mission even after a reset.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Earlier on this thread, people were claiming that they/others had said that using their Lifeboats/glasses/treasure of the sea and it had lasted them over/around a week. Well, I used my lifeboat around 2 days ago and it no longer says that it's active. So either someone was wrong, something was fixed, or they only last a "week" where the effect ends at the begining of a Wednesday. Either way, I'm highly saddened that my lifeboat was wasted, since I didn't actually do any voyages I could fail...

How many hotdogs does it take to mow a garage door?

Earlier on this thread, people were claiming that they/others had said that using their Lifeboats/glasses/treasure of the sea and it had lasted them over/around a week. Well, I used my lifeboat around 2 days ago and it no longer says that it's active. So either someone was wrong, something was fixed, or they only last a "week" where the effect ends at the begining of a Wednesday. Either way, I'm highly saddened that my lifeboat was wasted, since I didn't actually do any voyages I could fail...

All my fortunes/spectacles are still active at the moment, dunno what could have triggered yours to go inactive :(

6Ij0n.jpg

My lifeboat is still active, even though a reset occured last night. Maybe you're looking at the wrong ship?

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

My lifeboat is still active, even though a reset occured last night. Maybe you're looking at the wrong ship?

Was it always ship specific? I'll take another look.

Yep, it's ship specific :) Should still have it on the ship you assigned it to.

6Ij0n.jpg

Well, I took another look. I'm not sure which ship it's on, but the little Active! thing is back, so it's still working. I just have to wait for a ship to port before I can figure out which one it's apparently on. Good to know, at least.

Well, I took another look. I'm not sure which ship it's on, but the little Active! thing is back, so it's still working. I just have to wait for a ship to port before I can figure out which one it's apparently on. Good to know, at least.

In the Voyages menu, you can use the left and right arrow keys to shift between your ships, so you can figure out which ship has which effects active (and apply effects mid-voyage, though they don't seem to work if you do that).

6Ij0n.jpg