11-Dec-2012 - Player-Owned Ports

chenw

b8xty.png

lol'd

Scythe looks painful. Sent out my first 4½ hour mission for 160 Cherry, will probably have to focus half missions on nooby islands to get all re-rolls used up. Bowl and Princers' missions will probably take ~10+ hours at this pace...

853/2400.

I'm struggling at the moment... Today, I've had either 11 or 12k voyages, or "easier" (3 x 2.8k) trait voyages that don't get me the necessary slate to upgrade my ship. Only have the hull updates left anyway, they won't get me reasonably close to those stats either. I'm loathe to reroll, especially now that I can still do all the voyages in one day.

I'm 61% in the Hook region, but I'm happy to hang around here a bit longer to get more slate for a few port buildings. The Scythe looks scary... I'm hoping that a badass 10k chimes captain will show up soon in my crew roster, now that I've saved nearly 12k chimes. He'd make things a bit easier I'm sure.

It's a bit sad to see the voyages lengthen in time. I liked spending time in my port, but with the longer voyage times, it'll become more of a 2x and maybe even 1x daily activity.

Tips for those who will or have accessed the Scythe; focus your Cherrywood primarily on crew members.

Ship upgrades become increasingly costlier and the boost is consistently less than before.

The Hook was the tipping point. I know people were hardwired to focus on ship upgrades before, but they can't compare to new crewmembers in the Scythe.

Also, I think the Rudder upgrade might be the most desirable of the ship upgrades this time around. Speed stats really start to matter from the tipping point, even in the Hook curretly I can shave off 45 mins of time by improving my speed.

I'll run some calculations in how Speed affects the average time.

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

Sorry I disagree. Failure rates still reign over time. Success means success and failure means failure no matter if it comes 2 hours from now or 5 hours from now. Progression is the same it's getting the third ship that counts most now.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I think a factor to remember with crew is that you need to consider their level as well.

I've had friends reroll hook crew because they come with say 500 morale where as their Arc guy who is level 6 has 525; but it's like well yeah short term firing that guy will lose you 25 but consider lvl 0 vs lvl 6, as soon as ur hook guy gets 1 lvl (which should only take 1 or 2 voyages really) he'll be better than the one you fired.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Sorry I disagree. Failure rates still reign over time. Success means success and failure means failure no matter if it comes 2 hours from now or 5 hours from now. Progression is the same it's getting the third ship that counts most now.

Distance is distance though, even if you fail a voyage you're going to get the full distance from it, so if you want to squeeze more voyages in you're going to go after the speed upgrades.

• Like 3

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Refocusing on the Arc today to try and get the bamboo for a third ship, hopefully will still get a couple scythe missons that are doable to start buying crew so I can go back and level them getting slate.

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

Alright, what's the deal with lifeboats? I've had one "active" since the skull region and now it's finally saved someone but it's still active in the add effect screen. I assumed it would go away when it was used.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Alright, what's the deal with lifeboats?

I pictured you talking like Jerry Seinfeld when reading this post :D

Me too.

Also, I'm pretty sure the black market guy is restocking twice a day now. Just me I guess?

• Like 2

Me too.

Also, I'm pretty sure the black market guy is restocking twice a day now. Just me I guess?

HLF found that the bottom three effects (Lifeboat, Spectacles, Fortune) seem to be permanent additions to a ship, while the previous four effects are expended after one voyage. These three work with each other but you can't stack multiple copies of each (e.g. 2x fortune) so it seems like it's intended.

I've been saving all this slate for the office upgrade, but I must say it's now very tempting to do a Partner and upgrade the bar instead :s

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

I think so too. Did a little calculation and you can do a MAX of 12 four hour voyages a day with 2 ships, and with "MAX" I mean that you've to be online 24 hours a day to do that, without sleeping. A normal person would be doing like a max of 8 voyages with 2 ships and then we're not even talking about special voyages which take 7/8 hours.

Me too.

HLF found that the bottom three effects (Lifeboat, Spectacles, Fortune) seem to be permanent additions to a ship, while the previous four effects are expended after one voyage. These three work with each other but you can't stack multiple copies of each (e.g. 2x fortune) so it seems like it's intended.

I've been saving all this slate for the office upgrade, but I must say it's now very tempting to do a Partner and upgrade the bar instead :s

Damn, been saving those 2 lotus tint glasses for no reason then.

Is there any worth in investing in icon hotspots? If you get two adventurers a day anyway, is there any benefit to attracting one type of adventurer over the other, unless you're wanting experience tomes? They're only 1k chimes each, but I'd rather save them if I don't need to spend them.

imagangster.png

Is there any worth in investing in icon hotspots? If you get two adventurers a day anyway, is there any benefit to attracting one type of adventurer over the other, unless you're wanting experience tomes? They're only 1k chimes each, but I'd rather save them if I don't need to spend them.

Probably only worth it if you're going for story missions. I bought convict, assassin and whaler icons about a week ago and the only person I've seen other than them (after buying the icons) is the missionary. I have all 6 people unlocked too.

Probably only worth it if you're going for story missions. I bought convict, assassin and whaler icons about a week ago and the only person I've seen other than them is the missionary. I have all 6 people unlocked too.

Unlike you, I'm still missing the Convict. I believe the icon might be useful for "catching up" his story after I finally get 90 Thieving, and probably for anyone who only has 2 or 3 adventurers available.

2dgucz6.png

Right, I believe you can still "attract" the adventurers you don't hvae the level for but the no one shows up. Also, I've gotten only 1 adventurer despite having all 6 available, so it might be helpful to increase odds of multiple captains.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Wow jagex trolled me big time

Just unlocked Scythe and did crew rolls. Managed to roll 2 bureaucrats and a merchant (perfect for going back to farm bamboo/gunpowder/slate). This is after I couldn't roll a single eastern overseer ever...