25-September-2013 - Runescape Bonds

Drazhor

And bonds are dropping really fast on G.E... so lol@jagex.

Bonds dropping fast means they're working, if they settle at or very near the goldseller rate then Jagex wins

safersbanner.png

Play Safe! smile.gif - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!

Bonds dropping fast means they're working, if they settle at or very near the goldseller rate then Jagex wins

Surely they'd have to be a lot more to match the goldseller rate though?

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

How does the price dropping on the GE affect Jagex, theyre still getting the same real world cash for them

They will just sell the ones now for novelty, once price crashes there is no point in buying them if you are intending to buy GP for cash because the ratio will be so high no one will actually buy these to sell for gp in-game.

Emaxganis.png

Rule #14 - Don't argue with trolls, it means they win.

Surely that requires bonds to go UP.

The lower they go the worse the cash:gp ratio, the easier it is for goldsellers to undercut.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Surely that requires bonds to go UP.

The lower they go the worse the cash:gp ratio, the easier it is for goldsellers to undercut.

L my bad :P Sorry

safersbanner.png

Play Safe! smile.gif - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!

Surely they'd have to be a lot more to match the goldseller rate though?

This.

Emaxganis.png

The problem with the community is they don't understand it. They are being sugar coated by the Anti RWT/Goldfarmers debate. They think its making things nice and dandy. But no, thats not the case. It will likely only tap their profit down a tiny bit. Bots will still bot. Gold will still be sold at a much cheaper price. Jagex is making the economy swim around and gaining money from it.

This.

Goldfarmers will continue to farm, and sell at a rate lower than bond/rsgp so it stays cheaper. Who will buy bonds then? Assuming they are targeting this at ppl who RWT

It's clear from the video that they can detect gold farming and interaction between these accounts (Mod Jacmob has a very eloquent post on the bonds section of the RSOF, I suggest everyone read it) and that in the future they will start banning these accounts and removing the items/gold. I think this update was a way to provide an alternative to buying gold while not banning half their playerbase. I imagine that in a months time we will see massive ban waves hit people that continue to buy gold from farmers as well as the farmers accounts themselves.

MqyLAlK.png

Dark_Musica.pngu7jB5FP.png

Bonds currently buying at around 7.3m with a bit of a wait

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

Surely the $/GP ratio between gold farming sites and through bonds should reach an equilibrium within a few weeks. And its alot more work on the gold farmers side if they keep having to change the price of gold to undercut Jagex as a result of the natural fluctuations that will occur

The problem with the community is they don't understand it. They are being sugar coated by the Anti RWT/Goldfarmers debate. They think its making things nice and dandy. But no, thats not the case. It will likely only tap their profit down a tiny bit. Bots will still bot. Gold will still be sold at a much cheaper price. Jagex is making the economy swim around and gaining money from it.

This.

Goldfarmers will continue to farm, and sell at a rate lower than bond/rsgp so it stays cheaper. Who will buy bonds then? Assuming they are targeting this at ppl who RWT

It's clear from the video that they can detect gold farming and interaction between these accounts (Mod Jacmob has a very eloquent post on the bonds section of the RSOF, I suggest everyone read it) and that in the future they will start banning these accounts and removing the items/gold. I think this update was a way to provide an alternative to buying gold while not banning half their playerbase. I imagine that in a months time we will see massive ban waves hit people that continue to buy gold from farmers as well as the farmers accounts themselves.

As long as the ratios have a considerable difference they will still have to ban half the playerbase, we'll have to see how this develops..as for now I see it as a failure from Jagex end due to prices dropping to half in 1 hour?

Edit: I'd only see it succeeding on the long run if they put a fixed GP price on bonds. Lets face it, they will never be able to get rid of illegal rwt, so instead they should be providing a reasonable $/RSGP ratio through fixed-price bonds which is safe and legal. This is not the case atm and will not be for a while...

Emaxganis.png

Funny. I'm reading about bonds in game while sitting in my Economics class about the currency market. It's like getting a healthy double dose of economics in one sitting.

Personally I like this idea. I do agree with a few people here. It doesn't get rid of the money, rather changes the hands it exist in. I still find that a major improvement, as now they hand you are buying from is an avatar in game than a shady website.

• Like 2

29386_s.gif

"Goals dont have a deadline." -xxxgod quoting Lady Shahdie

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

Far, far, too soon to consider it a failure because of price drops. ATM, there are more people who want the potential GP bonds hold than want the bond benefits (membership, spins, runecoins), so supply is too great.

Especially since the price has to be low enough to compete with gold sellers.

65495229.png

With love to one, friendship to many, and good will to all.

Funny. I'm reading about bonds in game while sitting in my Economics class about the currency market. It's like getting a healthy double dose of economics in one sitting.

Personally I like this idea. I do agree with a few people here. It doesn't get rid of the money, rather changes the hands it exist in. I still find that a major improvement, as now they hand you are buying from is an avatar in game than a shady website.

The 10% trading tax gets rid of money.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

Hey, people smarter than me: is there any actual benefit to a recurring membership?

As long as bonds stay at some reasonable price (random number: 8M) it's probably worth it to just buy a bond every two weeks instead of a subscription since I can make many multiples of 8M in that time. I'm seriously considering it.

• Like 1

weathermatt.png

diy_wmatt.png

Haha,I honestly reckon theres enough material to debate and discuss on this topic and its economic ins and outs to make a pretty substantial University level dissertation

It would make for a very interesting read..."Using the virtual world to explain US monetary policy".

Didn't realize there was a tax (I just glanced over the article since I'm in class). I stand corrected.

29386_s.gif

"Goals dont have a deadline." -xxxgod quoting Lady Shahdie

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

Wow.

It's much bolder than I expected of Jagex.

It seems to me that it could be a smart thing to do, if you wanted to fight RWT, but I'm not sure the balance is right. The price of bonds needs to be quite high as gold farmers can achieve high gp/$ - bots don't cost much to run, apparently.

The price of spins is ridiculous as well - Jagex is really making a joke out of that. 14 days of membership will never equal 8 spins. It's an insult to the players to even offer the option to spin for that much real-world money. I understand that it is required to balance the in-game cost, but if you are going to offer only 8 spins per bond, you should not give the option to buy spins with bonds.

All that is fairly trivial, since you are still buying in-game benefits for real-world money, that is, it's still RWT, which makes the competition in the game less fair and fun. I don't like RWT and I still don't support it, not here, not anywhere. If I have to buy access to a game, that's fine, but I want the game whole and unmarred by further real-world money intrusions. If you mingle real-world cash with the game, you inextricably link and mix the game with the real world as well - essentially, the real world becomes part of the game. That is not what I play games for.

• Like 7

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Haha,I honestly reckon theres enough material to debate and discuss on this topic and its economic ins and outs to make a pretty substantial University level dissertation

It would make for a very interesting read..."Using the virtual world to explain US monetary policy".

Didn't realize there was a tax (I just glanced over the article since I'm in class). I stand corrected.

It's only a tax on the second onward trade, which you should only encounter if you have buyer's remorse after paying gp for a bond or if you are trying to merch them, which is what the tax tries to prevent.

Flyingjj.png

Far, far, too soon to consider it a failure because of price drops. ATM, there are more people who want the potential GP bonds hold than want the bond benefits (membership, spins, runecoins), so supply is too great.

It might be, but this is aimed at buyers rather than sellers from my point of view and this is why the legal part of it takes a major role.

The problem I see and stated before is that they left the ratio $/RSGP to the will of the market and thus outcome of this implementation is not guaranteed.

Sure, there is a lot of supply now due to novelty, but once that wears off will someone trade with these if the ratio is half of what goldsellers offer?

They could have had control from the start but chose not to

Emaxganis.png

I'm sure someone could work it out, but I cba is:

At what price point is the lowest gold farmers can go?

I mean it has to bottom out somewhere at a product of the best gp:hr they can make vs the £:hr membership costs for them to make a profit margin.

If someone calced that out we could work out how expensive in gp bonds need to be to be worthwhile.

I think the price point of bonds is a bit wrong irl atm, to me they should've been as near as possible to membership value.

As in using them to buy membership = outright buying membership by the most popular method and then of course derive the runecoin and spin quota in direct comparison to direct purchase.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

The tax is only applicable on the second switch though.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

I'm sure someone could work it out, but I cba is:

At what price point is the lowest gold farmers can go?

I mean it has to bottom out somewhere at a product of the best gp:hr they can make vs the £:hr membership costs for them to make a profit margin.

If someone calced that out we could work out how expensive in gp bonds need to be to be worthwhile.

I think the price point of bonds is a bit wrong irl atm, to me they should've been as near as possible to membership value.

As in using them to buy membership = outright buying membership by the most popular method and then of course derive the runecoin and spin quota in direct comparison to direct purchase.

They'll need 10-15m gold to cover membership (random estimate) im sure they'd get that per account in 1-2 days depending on the bot.