25-September-2013 - Runescape Bonds

Drazhor

Ultimately people may buy gold from farmes to pay for membership because this way its cheaper. Jagex shot themselves in the leg imo.

Not really, someone will be paying for those bonds they are not giving away anything.

Its even better for them since they sell membership at a higher cost than today

oh ok, i didnt think of that. so monthly fee just raised instead. still, flaw with the goal, killing off the farmers.

I'm not going to buy bonds for a few months anyway.

Some runescapers are pretty dense and I have to wait until they catch on.
For instance, we have to wait for 24/7 PVM kings to figure out that they no longer need to drop $$ (of which they have little) on membership.

Also, think about all the free to play players.

If they got money in the bank for a bond then then why are they still there? Street credit, lol....

Prices for a lot of f2p resources aren't bad.

They can make 6mil gold easy in a week or two based on their playtime.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Something I need to know for if/when I buy members with these things, if I'm currently paying £3.50/month, and buy with Bonds, when bonds expire will it still cost £3.50?

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

I was going to buy membs with bonds, but I don't want to miss out on another year-long membership offer like we got at the start of this year :p

• Like 2

safersbanner.png

Play Safe! smile.gif - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!

Help me out here... I'm not quite sure I'm understanding this completely. We can buy a bond direct from Jagex for $5.00. The bond can be used directly for 14 days of membership, 8 SOF spins or 160 RuneCoins. OR...

However, if we want to use it as regular RS coins (gold) to buy and sell items in-game (or gift it to others) the value is set by the current rate on the GE? (this is what I'm thinking)

So let's say I want to buy a Dragon this or that which costs 5million RS gold currently - and I spend $5 to buy a bond - and that bond is trading at 5million RS coins - I can buy my Dragon this or that by selling my bond -- right?

And does that mean if I have a bond in my bank it is worth whatever the going rate of exchange is for them?

I'm not sure why I'm confused.. or if I even am confused.. :)

I, goldelpack, hereby pledge to never support known gold selling sites. I will not buy any gold or items from any shady dealers. I will not use a bot, nor by my silence allow friends or acquaintances to believe that I support botting or gold selling in general. I will be part of the solution. I will also report those spamming gold and those obvious bots.

Something I need to know for if/when I buy members with these things, if I'm currently paying £3.50/month, and buy with Bonds, when bonds expire will it still cost £3.50?

I would expect it would, as this was the case with buying game cards or the premier club membership packages.

Though its a reasonable question to try and get a mod to asnwer if youre still worried.

Im really hoping we can buy the premier club packages again in the new year with bonds, theyd be silly not too offer it.

The GW2 system lets you buy gems, which are the MTX currency. However they also let the players sell those gems to other players for in game gold.

They don't define it like Jagex do with 1 bond = 8 spins, they let players determine the price of gems in terms of in game gold.

Except that's exactly what Jagex did. Jagex hasn't controlled the gp price of bonds at all. The gp price of bonds can rise and fall as players trade them.

No, they defined bonds as worth a set amount of spins/solomon coins. They have limits and some sort of control over the gp value of bonds with this, even if it's not obvious.

Asmodean <3

I would expect it would, as this was the case with buying game cards or the premier club membership packages.

Though its a reasonable question to try and get a mod to asnwer if youre still worried.

Im really hoping we can buy the premier club packages again in the new year with bonds, theyd be silly not too offer it.

Redeeming a bond pushes your billing date forward 14 days, so it doesn't affect your rate. If you have a recurring subscription, it doesn't get cancelled when you redeem. You can see your next billing date when you go to Account -> Manage Subscription -> Billing Home -> "Click 'here' to manage active subscriptions." I miss the times when it would show your remaining membership days in the lobby.

The GW2 system lets you buy gems, which are the MTX currency. However they also let the players sell those gems to other players for in game gold.

They don't define it like Jagex do with 1 bond = 8 spins, they let players determine the price of gems in terms of in game gold.

Except that's exactly what Jagex did. Jagex hasn't controlled the gp price of bonds at all. The gp price of bonds can rise and fall as players trade them.

No, they defined bonds as worth a set amount of spins/solomon coins. They have limits and some sort of control over the gp value of bonds with this, even if it's not obvious.

Out of curiousity, what's the gp value of spins/solomon coins?

I wonder what the reaction to bonds would of been if they didn't make the whole false anti gold farming speach.

It isn't completely false. Certainly they make too big of a number of it, but I do believe that it will actually work a bit as intended as well. Even if the gp/irl cash rate is still bad compared to that of many goldfarming sites it is a safe alternative. Many players will for sure use this new alternative. Even if I can agree with you partly. They make too much of a 'show' of this.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

If you have the knowledge to see through the holes in it, the anti-farm speech does come across as a screen to distract you away from the real substance.

Even if it's partly true, it clearly doesn't stand on itself when providing a rationale for this update.

• Like 3

I wonder what the reaction to bonds would of been if they didn't make the whole false anti gold farming speach.

Thaaaaank you!

I know a lot of people who RWT, have for years, and never once have I heard of one of them getting scammed by the big companies (selling and buying). So I don't believe Jagex's whole risk argument. I don't believe bonds will compete with the $0.27-0.32/M that RWT sites offered prior to the update though. If anything, I see this opening people's eyes to RWT and them going to where it's cheaper - other websites.

I was also confused. If Jagex knew about 40-50% of RuneScape players RWTing, why are 40-50% of players still here? Seems like a figure, such as the 90% of players who enjoy the SoF update, that they seemed to make up non the spot.

Also, if 50% of people were RWTing, they clearly didn't give a damn about the "risk" that was involved by going to RWT sites (and it clearly worked, as they got their GP). So why would they suddenly care now and use Jagex instead?

• Like 7

09144a99bb.png

It isn't completely false. Certainly they make too big of a number of it, but I do believe that it will actually work a bit as intended as well. Even if the gp/irl cash rate is still bad compared to that of many goldfarming sites it is a safe alternative. Many players will for sure use this new alternative. Even if I can agree with you partly. They make too much of a 'show' of this.

The way I see it is, anyone who knew the RWT market before will understand that theres legit sellers everywhere you turn. People who have handled over 2 million in total and so on. The only cut gold farmers take is in customers that are unlikely to risk such a trade. Anyone who has previously done or are not scared to go for the GoldFarm option will still buy their gold elsewhere. Anyone who is 100% scared will buy a bond. The effects are very minimal. And also GoldFamers have MUCH more botting power now.

They can have a farm of F2P bots just to top up member bots membership if they wanted. Allowing even more inflation and bots. Gold farmers become stronger.

Bonds are cheap though. FTP accounts are free. All they need is more bots? Bots are free. One account can pay for 2-3 bots a day. 10 accounts 20-30. 50 accounts 100-150 member bots.

These 100-150 member bots can easily make MUCH more money ontop of the FTP ones. Without the risk of using their irl money to fund the bots in the first place. They now have a free opening which will grow after each month.

Bonds cannot match due to the fact players decide the price. Not jagex. RWT can undercut at anytime and currently has not needed to change their price.

It would take a bond 15m to match RWTs prices. Bonds are around 7-8 right now.

Its not event touched the market for these GoldFarmers.

So just because I was really bored, and also because I was curious, I worked out how much GP it would cost to buy one of everything everything on the SGS using bonds. This is asusming the current value of around 6.5m GP per bond

All Costumes: 120 bonds,-780m GP

All Animations: 77 bonds,-500.5m GP

Titles, boosters and keys: 21 bonds,-136.5m GP

All Hairstyles: 29 bonds,-188.5m GP

All Pets: 31 bonds,-201.5m GP

Total CostL 1.807 Billion GP

I felt like doing some spreadsheet playing for my own use that others may like a spreadsheet Soloman's purchasing via gp calc. Of course at present its way off as it has to depend on the over-priced GE value, but it'll match up right in due course.

I've got it importing a currently incomplete* Soloman's database I control so you can duplicate it and put your own shopping list in.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiiWNnszLqVydENoMUhNdVBJTnVuNHd6Y1Q2N2xmRmc

*Emote, pets, 'equipment', hair, titles, services are currently missing til I cba to finish filling it out later today.

Thaaaaank you!

I know a lot of people who RWT, have for years, and never once have I heard of one of them getting scammed by the big companies (selling and buying). So I don't believe Jagex's whole risk argument. I don't believe bonds will compete with the $0.27-0.32/M that RWT sites offered prior to the update though. If anything, I see this opening people's eyes to RWT and them going to where it's cheaper - other websites.

I was also confused. If Jagex knew about 40-50% of RuneScape players RWTing, why are 40-50% of players still here? Seems like a figure, such as the 90% of players who enjoy the SoF update, that they seemed to make up non the spot.

Also, if 50% of people were RWTing, they clearly didn't give a damn about the "risk" that was involved by going to RWT sites (and it clearly worked, as they got their GP). So why would they suddenly care now and use Jagex instead?

Given Jage'x stats style eg 90% of people using daily spins = 90% enjoy sof.

I'd imagine 40-50% of players using RWT reverse engineers to be more like 40-50% of accounts have come in to contact with RWT linked gp/goods within x trades of the original source.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

So just because I was really bored, and also because I was curious, I worked out how much GP it would cost to buy one of everything everything on the SGS using bonds. This is asusming the current value of around 6.5m GP per bond

All Costumes: 120 bonds,-780m GP

All Animations: 77 bonds,-500.5m GP

Titles, boosters and keys: 21 bonds,-136.5m GP

All Hairstyles: 29 bonds,-188.5m GP

All Pets: 31 bonds,-201.5m GP

Total CostL 1.807 Billion GP

Not bad if I wanted to complete my Emote book. The thing I hated is their forced icons for SGS stuff. I liked it complete or uncomplete if were to be optainable with in game content.

Now that I think about it, I wonder how they can tell who's RWTing and who's not. I have people on Skype (such as Tip.It staff) who I don't even have added in-game, who we've traded Nex sets and massive amounts of cash back and forth (including partyhats). How can they tell the difference? Are they seeing anyone who does a hugely unbalanced (or completely one-sided) trade as RWTing?

• Like 1

09144a99bb.png

Now that I think about it, I wonder how they can tell who's RWTing and who's not. I have people on Skype (such as Tip.It staff) who I don't even have added in-game, who we've traded Nex sets and massive amounts of cash back and forth (including partyhats). How can they tell the difference? Are they seeing anyone who does a hugely unbalanced (or completely one-sided) trade as RWTing?

I give a new player 75k because I saw they were collecting Cow Hides and it was a really taunting sight to me. Its a new account. They must be a mule.

Also remember W2 back in the day. The mass rune sellers etc? Im sure they'd be classified as dealing with GoldFarmers too. But hey, you just wanted some runes. You still traded for it.

I wonder how that internal conversation went.

Random employee: Sir, our reports have come back. 40-50% of the population are buying gold.

Gerhard: God our community sucks.

More like:

Gerhard: How come we are not profiting off that? Get to work! NOW!!

• Like 1

Emaxganis.png

Rule #14 - Don't argue with trolls, it means they win.

This is laughable. I have quit RS but I saw this and thought it was funny. No person that is selling gold now for cash is going to sell for bonds long term. If I were selling 2B I could A sell to a gold reseller for .20-.22/M (price when I quit rs) so $400 or I could B sell for 200 bonds (assuming 10m each). What he hell do I need 200 bonds for? Lifetime membership? Spins? Runecoins? No thank you. I'll take the $400 and be on my way.

Sure people with average wealth who have never rwt'd (at least sold) will use this bc hey "I can get free membs and spins!" But no one that sold dicing/staking/merching/botting profits over the past few years will sell for bonds. Other than maybe selling some for spins to max. Long term this is a wasted update.

Peace,

Vann

PS: Before anyone flames me for being a rwt'er just know that I don't care. I've quit the game just got this email from Jagex and thought it was funny so I figured I'd read this topic while bored at work. Also, some of the people on this forum that are "adamant" against rwt are some of the biggest hypocrites I know.

• Like 2

This isn't aimed at bulk buyers and sellers but those looking to buy and sell small amounts. I've been running under the assumption that the colour map they showed is based on GP volumes. If that's correct then it's clear that the vast majority of RWTers do smaller amounts.

If I'm looking to sell 50m and I know I want to play for a while longer, it makes sense for me to use bonds rather than selling to a gold reseller for $10.

Help me out here... I'm not quite sure I'm understanding this completely. We can buy a bond direct from Jagex for $5.00. The bond can be used directly for 14 days of membership, 8 SOF spins or 160 RuneCoins. OR...

However, if we want to use it as regular RS coins (gold) to buy and sell items in-game (or gift it to others) the value is set by the current rate on the GE? (this is what I'm thinking)

So let's say I want to buy a Dragon this or that which costs 5million RS gold currently - and I spend $5 to buy a bond - and that bond is trading at 5million RS coins - I can buy my Dragon this or that by selling my bond -- right?

And does that mean if I have a bond in my bank it is worth whatever the going rate of exchange is for them?

I'm not sure why I'm confused.. or if I even am confused.. :)

The bond is a tradable item in-game that you can sell on the Grand Exchange like any other tradable item. It cannot be used for coins. You have to sell it to another player to get the gp.

This could work assuming the bond value can stay high enough to outcompete the RWT sites.

Yes, the demand for rich players to sell gold for real world cash is high. But if they have no one who wants to buy it.. they won't be able to.

I don't think this *will* work because it requires bonds to stay valued high enough which seems unlikely in the current setup because bonds trade in for so little. If they earned a few more than 8 spins? or more runecoins possibly? I think the value of the bond is so low for its cost that they can't really make it work.

Plus since there are plenty of people willing to sell large amounts of gold, the RWT sites will have massive supply they want to get rid of, which means they can lower their price more and undercut bonds.

It's not like these sites are really about scams. (they make more $$$ by not scamming than they ever would with scams)

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

I didn't know if I would see the day, but yes - JAGEX finally started selling gold directly for $ (even more so than SoF)

I am sure they had a stance for long long, they will never do that

How hypocritical can one be

I hope I can make up my mind and just forget the years invested and move on

• Like 1