Barrows - Rise of the Six

chenw

iTrolledU's stream has been on for 20+ hours now at barrows -- and he's obviously got one of the best teams out there (all Comp/Trimmed Comp Capes + best-in-slot gear and plenty of PvM experience), so they have a very high success rate. They have only gotten two Mage shields so far. One almost feels sorry for them; been dry for 8 hours or something.   :wacko:

Which is everything wrong with this.

Once again, Jagex failed to find any semblance of balance. Challenging content is good-- Vorago is challenging, but not impossible, even if you only have t80 gear. Thus far, only the the best of the best, with the best in slot gear, can accomplish this. Even though THOSE [bleep]ing people don't even need any of this because they have already got so much wealth they can never spend it all.

I think what Jagex should do is for the first month of a new boss monster release if keep it really hard. But after 1 month they should nerf the bosses so that its possible to kill them if your an average high level player (99s in all combat but not best in slot gear)/ best gear but not all 99s (90-95+ stats). Making boss monsters that only the maxed and best in slot gear folks can do forces the supply way down and keeps the costs insanely high. 

• Like 2

So at first an elitist percentile can farm it and then you'd open it up to the public?

In general I never felt like most bosses were for the top percentile, people just aren't patient enough to learn. What you propose though... yuck!

It's exactly what Jagex has been doing though.

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

Spent several hours there last night with some friends, we had one guy with dual Asc, 2 guys in virtus wand book and I had mh asc and an ely. We did fairly well the primary lacking was me with the shield, just couldn't pump out the damage. I do agree that Karils bomb is a little nuts, I don't think the range should be nerfed but the dmg/distance needs to be adjusted. I was in the corner when the bomb was in the middle last night and I got hit for 5400 dmg, thats far to high.

Aside from that, we worked out some strategies for which bosses to kill in what order and it went well, the bomb was our only issue.

That and need t90 to decent dmg. The guys with t80 mage did okay, but the dual asc was significantly better.

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

need to do some quests (around 3) before I pop into barrows yet :

though yesterday I was a bit lucky cause as soon as they did the update I put a request in GE for the malevolent shield (600mil) which I got an hour after and successfully sold for 900m later.....

I got the mage shield now thru GE which I am thinking of swapping for the range one as I might try with ascension on veng kiteshield the new barrows.....

any suggestions if I should use the shield or not ?

S_A_M_A_N_TA.png

I also think that todays combo is one of, if not the hardest. The Karil/Ahrim combo is painful specially if they both start spinning and you have a melee who does their spin at the same time. About the only way to make it worse I think would be Karil/Ahrim/Torag and you get ground pounded at the wrong time.

Overall this will be fun, we aren't pro pvm'ers and we've never killed vorago but we are working on getting dual ASCB for everyone and then we should be golden.

Archermanme.png

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

Do the shields have any kind of special effects?

best drops (reasonably accurate/up to date): 1x Elysian Sigil (LS), 1x Arcane Sigil (cs), 4x Armadyl Hilt (solo at 100m, 100m, 50m, and 5m), 2x Saradomin Hilt (solo at 25m), 5x Draconic Visage (34m,1.2m,1.2m) and various cs/ls/ffa Nex splits.
Drygore Drops: 7 Longswords, 3 Maces, 3 Rapiers, 3 Off-hand Rapiers,  5 Off-hand Maces, 3 Off-hand Longswords

ROTS Shields: 12  Seismics: 16

Ascension Crossbows: 6  Spider Legs: 10

Countless Armadyl armour pieces, Saradomin amulets, Dragon Hatchets, and Fremenik Rings.
Range~Herblore~Construction~Constitution~Defence~Farming~Magic~Attack~Prayer~Strength~Summoning~Slayer~Mining~Dungeoneering~Firemaking~Agility~Magic Mastery~Summoning Mastery~Cooking~Smithing~Fletching~Thieving~Hunter~Woodcutting~Fishing~Runecrafting

iTrolledU's stream has been on for 20+ hours now at barrows -- and he's obviously got one of the best teams out there (all Comp/Trimmed Comp Capes + best-in-slot gear and plenty of PvM experience), so they have a very high success rate. They have only gotten two Mage shields so far. One almost feels sorry for them; been dry for 8 hours or something.   :wacko:

Dry for 8 hours? Isn't Malevolent energy easily millions per piece? :P

Well, money wise, I don't think they much care. They're some of the most loaded people in RS.  ;) They are in it for the enjoyment/drops, it seems. And they seem awfully dedicated; it must be disappointing to spend all your waking hours on this and only get 2 of the Mage shields. 

Well, money wise, I don't think they much care. They're some of the most loaded people in RS.  ;) They are in it for the enjoyment/drops, it seems. And they seem awfully dedicated; it must be disappointing to spend all your waking hours on this and only get 2 of the Mage shields. 

Doesn't seem as bad as some of those horror stories of players trying to get a sigil from the Corporeal Beast.

Also, like others have said, as time goes by more and more players will be able to defeat the boss once the mechanics of the fight are better understood. Not much reason to nerf the boss imho. Seems like everytime a difficult boss monster is released the update thread has the same discussions. 

• Like 1

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

Doesn't seem as bad as some of those horror stories of players trying to get a sigil from the Corporeal Beast.

Also, like others have said, as time goes by more and more players will be able to defeat the boss once the mechanics of the fight are better understood. Not much reason to nerf the boss imho. Seems like everytime a difficult boss monster is released the update thread has the same discussions. 

Honestly the only "nerf" thats needed is a slight rebalance of karil's bombs, the rest is fine, and anyone who says otherwise just needs to learn. I'm terrible at PvM and that was my only issue.

• Like 1

Archermanme.png

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

Spent way too long doing this yesterday, but have now got the method pretty much sorted, our team was getting 95% of kills by the end of the day, I think we managed 25 kills in a row near the end, before I had to sleep.

This does actually have some timings in it, so it's possible to roughly know when to not use ultimates/high dps abilities. Took a while for the team to notice though, as the fight is stupidly chaotic.

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

Maybe a tip: record all your fights and analyse them if you got any time off...

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

I have a few fights recorded, I'll upload them on Monday if people want to see a full fight from me with team commentary etc.

http://twitch.tv/itrolledu is generally streaming this though, and he has a very consistent team, so if you want to see the mechanics/learn the terminology, I'd definitely look into it. :P

• Like 1

yqe0mrU.jpg

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Away for this weekend sadly, so no making bils off shield drops before they crash to 5m each*. :lol:

Oh well, good luck to anyone that tries to kill them!

*Shields may not reach this price

yqe0mrU.jpg

[hide=Lewtations]

Away for this weekend sadly, so no making bils off shield drops before they crash to 5m each*. :lol:

Oh well, good luck to anyone that tries to kill them!

*Shields may not reach this price

I was hoping that the 5mil price was a guarantee until * followed the statement..... Damn you asterisks, damn you to hell....

• Like 1

If the energies required per armor remains the same as the other 2 sets, it means a pet is equivalent to about 6 full melee power armors worth of energies.

which means a full set of pets is around 36 sets.

if that's so, then barrows sets are going to skyrocket eh?

If the energies required per armor remains the same as the other 2 sets, it means a pet is equivalent to about 6 full melee power armors worth of energies.

which means a full set of pets is around 36 sets.

if that's so, then barrows sets are going to skyrocket eh?

Rise of the Six f.a.q. says they're dropping the energy per pet down to 250. Still pretty high but not as bad.

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

I just spent 10 hours in one siting attempting this with several other friends.. none of which are bad at pvm, and we all had decent gear. (NO seismics, which is basically a need now)

WE DIDN'T GET A SINGLE KILL. This will be impossible to do for the average players .. and even above average.. This shit needs to get seriously nerfed down a bit. One little mistake and everything is over.. I spent like 3k rocktails alone trying it.

The closest we got was having 5 dead at one point, but the other side didn't manage to get enough DPS on the last guy. (one team mate got killed before)

Very frustrated.  One kill shouldn't be that hard .. Not to mention you still have to survive afterwards to get your trim back. -.-.

• Like 1

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

I just spent 10 hours in one siting attempting this with several other friends.. none of which are bad at pvm, and we all had decent gear. (NO seismics, which is basically a need now)

WE DIDN'T GET A SINGLE KILL. This will be impossible to do for the average players .. and even above average.. This shit needs to get seriously nerfed down a bit. One little mistake and everything is over.. I spent like 3k rocktails alone trying it.

The closest we got was having 5 dead at one point, but the other side didn't manage to get enough DPS on the last guy. (one team mate got killed before)

Very frustrated. One kill shouldn't be that hard .. Not to mention you still have to survive afterwards to get your trim back. -.-.

We got two successful kills back to back last night and my team had death lotus and ascb. All of us wore the same. Once we got past the stupidity of the bombs it wasn't overly hard. None of us are pro pvmers either

Archermanme.png

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

Nice :o. How many attempts did it take you though, and if kills aren't even being done consistently for the average players it's a stupid boss. Just my opinion.

None of our team had dual ascs tho, and the rest were using virtus wand/book. 500M+ in gear needed .. Too much to be honest.

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

MH Ascension should be enough surely? Offhand is just a bit more damage (4% or something), MH accuracy is far more important.

Pretty sure at this point MH Ascension is cheaper and better than DW virtus lol

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

It was about 10 attempts before we got our first kill and just using a mh ascb isn't enough. You'd need at least an oh chaotic. Using a shield you don't do enough dps.

Archermanme.png

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

It was about 10 attempts before we got our first kill and just using a mh ascb isn't enough. You'd need at least an oh chaotic. Using a shield you don't do enough dps.

Oh yeah, I meant mh ascb with an offhand t80- :P Haven't seen people mention shields at all in RSOF team threads.

Jeremy tells me that RSOF teams kick if you only have mh ascb though.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Tried about two dozen goes last night with people form my clan.. We are all fairly good PVMers.. And we have come to the conclusion that 9/10 of the ways you die here will be CHEAP.

If you get hammerd and karils drops a bomb, you died because the game said "you die now". Not because "oh, i made a mistake and should get punished"

If someone starts to spin and you go to hit surge to get away, nope. You go into a wall because they turn you around. Plus with the fact that whenever a  NPC moves you (ANYWHERE in the game, mind) it more or less takes control away from you.

I see two ways they could make this less OP:

Half the speed at which you get hit, 1k every tick is far too much.

The spinners don't PUSH you. If they spin, they do damage to you until you move. If you move, they follow you. MOVING THE PLAYER TAKES CONTROL AWAY AND MAKES THE PLAYER FEEL HELPLESS. NO GAME SHOULD MAKE THE PLAYER FEEL HELPLESS. THAT IS BAD GAME DESIGN

I also feel that karil's bomb does too TOO much damage for the range and speed that it has. Two other bosses with similar (BIG DAMAGE) mechanics are nex and vorago.

With nex, there are shadows and prisons. Both give you enough time to evade, and enough time to do something that can protect you. You can tank prisons at nex EASY. You just need to be able to know when they are going to happen and prepare yourself accordingly (freedom, eat, or cade or immort)

With vorago, you have waterfalls, which give you a fair amount of time to start to counter, and if you realize you can't counter, you are able to eat up and tank it. Also with red bombs, you have a good 4-5 seconds to get away and heal before they hit you

Karil's bombs are NOTHING like that. They have VERY tiny graphics (ahrim's lightning is MUCH more visually noticeable and does FAR less damage), the range far exceeds what you would be expecting from the graphics, and the time it takes before he pops away and explodes is far too short. Additionally, when they go off, you can't SEE the range at which they go off..

All of that, coupled with SO MUCH THINGS GOING ON makes it hard to process all the information..

I would feel karil's bomb would be much more fairer if two things were done

- Staying at the edge of the area ensures you won't get hit for 4k+ Much with the turret attack.. Not providing a means of escape is just cheap

-Let there be some kind of animation before the explosion. It is a shadow bomb, right? Why can't it start to suck in dirt and particles like a mini black hole before it explodes? It would provide a much better visual cue to judge if you are far away enough or not

-Perhaps let people disable the bomb without being forced over to the other side? Left click disarms, right click allows you to disarm and go through it.

-Don't allow the other special attacks to overlap. No torag hammering you while a bomb is going to go off or ahrim or karil go turreting.I understand teamwork is key, but such a combo shouldn't ever happen where you're going to get killed right off the bat regardless of what you or your team mate does.

• Like 4

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum