Barrows - Rise of the Six

chenw

Watching streams, they are all using t90 weapons and its crazy how often they splash. This makes me nervous about the viability of using t80 weapons. And Drygores seem like they'd be a poor choice given how it puts you into the spec range and you can't hit karil and ahrim when they go up.

The rich continue to get richer, while the middle class falls further and further behind.

It's [bleep]ing bullshit. And I say that as someone with all three Nex sets as well as dual ascensions.

• Like 2

4NIrZ.png

Watching streams, they are all using t90 weapons and its crazy how often they splash. This makes me nervous about the viability of using t80 weapons. And Drygores seem like they'd be a poor choice given how it puts you into the spec range and you can't hit karil and ahrim when they go up.

The rich continue to get richer, while the middle class falls further and further behind.

It's [bleep]ing bullshit. And I say that as someone with all three Nex sets as well as dual ascensions.

Mhmm, along with that Virtus wand and book have reached new heights with the wand hitting the 200mil mark, and bows are 260mil and climbing.

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

Mhmm, along with that Virtus wand and book have reached new heights with the wand hitting the 200mil mark, and bows are 260mil and climbing.

WAT the bows are back up to 260?

Also Torva is once again crashing, no surprise. I finally decided to just sell mine and eat the loss. It's not useful for the current endgame; the only place where I used it was Nex and Bandos is nearly as good there.

4NIrZ.png

The 30 seconds between kills things seems a little on the harsh side imo. Seems like a mechanic that makes it difficult just be making it awkward rather than adding genuine challenge eg it becomes more about avoiding over damaging one guy than it does about trying to the fight them the best you can.

It's not even a good mechanic in other games. It always either ends up being so easy that you only have to bother with it if you just picked the game up for the first time, or it's a frustratingly luck-based challenge disguised as a skill one.

I mean, I understand the point there, but better games have tried. I don't think any of them have succeeded.

The 30 seconds between kills things seems a little on the harsh side imo. Seems like a mechanic that makes it difficult just be making it awkward rather than adding genuine challenge eg it becomes more about avoiding over damaging one guy than it does about trying to the fight them the best you can.

It's not even a good mechanic in other games. It always either ends up being so easy that you only have to bother with it if you just picked the game up for the first time, or it's a frustratingly luck-based challenge disguised as a skill one.

I mean, I understand the point there, but better games have tried. I don't think any of them have succeeded.

This, so very much. It's one of the worst forms of fake difficulty.

It's like their objective with this update was to do as many things as possible to piss off your average high-leveled player.

1) Require a stupid macguffin to enter the boss, and consume it upon leaving. I don't care that they are relatively common or cheap. It's still bloody annoying.

2) Have a "prep and kill" mechanic, which in a game like RS where there is so much variability in your damage, makes the fight tremendously luck-based. Not fun. DDO used this mechanic frequently, but the difference there was that all of your attacks normally only had a 5% miss chance (based off the 1d20 system where a 1 is always a miss) when you are maxed. So, even though there was some variance in damage per hit you wouldn't have periods like you do in RS where you string together a combo of several 5k+ hits and then at other times hit very low or miss entirely.

3) Make yet ANOTHER boss with a difficulty level so high that it excludes people without years worth of gear investment. Jagex has a fetish with doing this, and it is always both disheartening and enraging at the same time.

4) Supposing you DO kill the bosses, you then have to escape an advancing wall of d00m in order to keep your rewards. Nice.

• Like 2

4NIrZ.png

Free money pl0X (speaking as a middle class person) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

• Like 1

howlin1eeveesig.png

The worst part of the kill-them-all-close-together mechanic is that it's perfectly possible to get a much stronger encouragement with a much more forgiving mechanic. In the Barrows tunnels and crypts, you lose prayer, and the amount you lose increases as you kill more brothers. You could implement the same thing, and related variants, in ROT6. For example, each brother you kill could cost you three prayer points per tick until you leave the tunnels - that's from 990 to no prayer in 198 seconds, and at five brothers dead that's 990 to none in some 40 seconds of course. That's a nuisance, but that doesn't mean you can't spend a few minutes on the last brother - you just use lots of supplies.

Prayer drain is a small inconvenience, but we have our friend Unholy Cursebearer to show us how it's done: drain ALL the stats! Now, attack/defence/strength/ranged/magic will be boosted by overloads, but constitution and prayer will not. How long ago was it that Jagex mentioned 'constitution-draining effects'? Here's your chance - you now lose one random level per tick per brother killed. That means you'll go from seven* 99s to seven 0s in some 415 seconds, or in 83 seconds with five brothers dead. 83 seconds to reach 0 constitution - I don't like that, but if I keep chugging restores, I'll live. I don't have to kill the brothers within 30 seconds of eachother, but I really really don't want to be in this cave with that much stat drain going on, so we better hurry up and rush these wights.

P.S. Have I mentioned the adrenaline drain of 1% per 10 ticks per brother killed?

*Eight if you also drain Summoning, which I suppose is fair. That's 99s to 0s in 475 seconds, or 95 seconds with five brothers dead.

• Like 6

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

^That'd be so much cooler as its not just a random complication that doesn't really make the fight harder just takes focus from killing to micro-management of their health levels.

instead it creates a genuine extra nuance to the battle in terms of how you decide to deal with it, it adds tactics in terms of which brother is best to kill when in terms of the stat drains to layer upon their already special moves that play on priorities of kill.

I mean they all already have pros and cons in kill order but with like 2 1/2 minutes between kill 1 and kill 6 those nuances are kinda lost as you don't have time to play with them as much.

Eg:

Verac - hitting through prayer and draining it would be a good thing to take out early, also removing him knocks a special move off guthan and torag (throw verac for helicopter)

Guthan - Impaling furtherest away so they bleed out until they get close. Again could be wise to take out early as is a move that may require you to get in harms way more than necessary.

Torag - The pound in to ground hammer would be good to take out since it does heavily rely on team focus to save each other.

Karil - the shadow portal 'bombs' and the tieing to a specific spot can be problematic with running you in to danger. As well as the turrent move that's hard to dodge, seemingly as well as draining crucial stats

etc.

With them all having to be downed so close together you kind of remove the entirety of the possibility for tactical play in terms of which brother(s) to take out when to make the fight easier (or harder if you so desire)

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

The current problem I have with this:

Karil.

His bomb thing's attack range is WAY too far. If he does it in the middle, you need to stand in the very corner of the room to avoid it. The range on it is just stupid.

• Like 3

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

This seems like quite an update. Sadly it looks like it will be out of my reach for quite a long time to come.

Don't take too long,

It will be called dead content in 6 months by the youtube allstars and you won't be able to find a team unless you got the best gear including whatever comes out of this.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Karil.

His bomb thing's attack range is WAY too far. If he does it in the middle, you need to stand in the very corner of the room to avoid it. The range on it is just stupid.

This. Although without it the fight would be a little easy lol.

Karil is being an absolute nightmare for my team. This new rotation isn't helping either. 

Dwaynee.png

Trimmed Completionist 8th October 2014 | Check out my blog Here.

This update is bullshit.

Way, way too hard. If you could bring more than just 4 people, it wouldn't be so bad. Like, up to 6. That would be far more fair.

You know, people were saying VORAGO IS TOO HARD OMG NERF NERF NERF.... up until the point where they were personally able to get some kills

• Like 1

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

Wow, I double posted >< Crappy internet... Sigh.

And you haven't been there yet to witness it firsthand. Karil's bomb attack NEEDS to be nerfed. It's stupid overpowered because it has a range that is way too big and will pretty much instagib you when it hits you.

And like I said, if they made this a six-player event, it would be decidedly more fair. 6v6, they each have 50k and can hit for thousands of damage, you each have 8-9k and can hit for thousands of damage. You can heal, but they can easily KO you. It's well balanced.

The way it is right now is just not fun.

4NIrZ.png

Karil.

This. Although without it the fight would be a little easy lol.

Karil is being an absolute nightmare for my team. This new rotation isn't helping either. 

Karil wasn't giving us any problems. The only reason my side (ahrim/karil/dharok) didn't get any kills was because we just kept making mistakes, such as surging into walls or failing to lure ahrim properly.

Jeremy was on the other side and died after like 10 seconds every time.

Hey, that's not true!!

Think I'll wait for a little while so people can find the best strategies & fixes can be made. (which I hope they do make)

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

For some reason I actually want to do this and get the armor myself. I never felt that way about Nex or Vorago :P

Maybe it's an affinity for the Barrows of old that lined my pockets back in the day?

I really wish that instead of the silly pets they let us unlock overrides of the "deluxe" version brothers' armors, though.

• Like 1

2dgucz6.png

Guest Smelly Paws

Hey, that's not true!!

Think I'll wait for a little while so people can find the best strategies & fixes can be made. (which I hope they do make)

Are you sure Jeremy? Are you very sure? :D

• Like 1

iTrolledU's stream has been on for 20+ hours now at barrows -- and he's obviously got one of the best teams out there (all Comp/Trimmed Comp Capes + best-in-slot gear and plenty of PvM experience), so they have a very high success rate. They have only gotten two Mage shields so far. One almost feels sorry for them; been dry for 8 hours or something.   :wacko:

iTrolledU's stream has been on for 20+ hours now at barrows -- and he's obviously got one of the best teams out there (all Comp/Trimmed Comp Capes + best-in-slot gear and plenty of PvM experience), so they have a very high success rate. They have only gotten two Mage shields so far. One almost feels sorry for them; been dry for 8 hours or something.   :wacko:

Dry for 8 hours? Isn't Malevolent energy easily millions per piece? :P
  • Like 1

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

For some reason I actually want to do this and get the armor myself. I never felt that way about Nex or Vorago :P

Maybe it's an affinity for the Barrows of old that lined my pockets back in the day?

I really wish that instead of the silly pets they let us unlock overrides of the "deluxe" version brothers' armors, though.

this!

thanks for the video ambler

edit: also that setup with the abilities is so baws

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

Which is everything wrong with this.

Once again, Jagex failed to find any semblance of balance. Challenging content is good-- Vorago is challenging, but not impossible, even if you only have t80 gear. Thus far, only the the best of the best, with the best in slot gear, can accomplish this. Even though THOSE [bleep]ing people don't even need any of this because they have already got so much wealth they can never spend it all.

• Like 1

4NIrZ.png

Which is everything wrong with this.

Once again, Jagex failed to find any semblance of balance. Challenging content is good-- Vorago is challenging, but not impossible, even if you only have t80 gear. Thus far, only the the best of the best, with the best in slot gear, can accomplish this. Even though THOSE [bleep]ing people don't even need any of this because they have already got so much wealth they can never spend it all.

Second day, people still need to learn the mechanics and have the time to actually spend on it. It is not the weekend yet.

Robbstarkded.png