The Ethics of Advertising in Game?

hexagons

jagex is known for their subtlty and bad puns. im sure that any advertising would be subliminal for greatest effect. plus it probably wouldnt be their style to create a billboard in the middle of varrock saying "BUY COKE" or something like that. but the citroen flag does look suspicious...

Stallion4589.png

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
Ahh, having commercials like that in runescape will be very lame and disturbing in my opinion. Runescape is (supposed to be) a medevil game. I don't want to see any commercials in my medevil games!

Oh and besides, what can they advertise without making the product look extremely lame and not connected to the game?

I agree 100% I would HATE having in game adds. I would serious consider quitting over it.

Qizx2- Archmage

Personnumber100- Warlock for life.

Would you?

they might just have some sort of bone spawn in the wildy shaped like "Eat at Joe's" on the mini-map :XD:

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

It actually wouldn't be that bad. Many big companies are very good at hiding their advertisement money in movies and other things such as games. It wouldn't be hugely obvious.

Ever notice that a laptop in a movie or tv show is very rarely turned so that the logo is facing in a way that you can't see?

A runescape advertisement would be something that could be passed off as a joke in some dialogue, or as a little logo that appears somewhere.

It would only be BIG companies because it gets a LOT of attention, therefore it is very expensive to place. You would recognize the logos of anything that could pay for this placement.

~M

It actually wouldn't be that bad. Many big companies are very good at hiding their advertisement money in movies and other things such as games. It wouldn't be hugely obvious.

Ever notice that a laptop in a movie or tv show is very rarely turned so that the logo is facing in a way that you can't see?

A runescape advertisement would be something that could be passed off as a joke in some dialogue, or as a little logo that appears somewhere.

It would only be BIG companies because it gets a LOT of attention, therefore it is very expensive to place. You would recognize the logos of anything that could pay for this placement.

+1 They would hide it well. Maybe something like after you use the gnome glider he says "Thanks for choosing Northwest Airlines" :P

Tbfgraphx14

Happy to find I'm not the only one who eats glass.

I don't think I'd mind too much, as long as it is all tasefully done. I don't want all the level 50s working in KFC asking if 'you wanna apple pii wit dat..'. I like the idea of it being subtle, like the "Citroen" flag but more recognisable. I think banners around heavily populated cities would look awful.

This topic is 2 years+ old...If it didn't happen within 2 years, i dont think its going to happen soon.

I bet it's some totally awesome 20-stringed, dragon shaped instrument that doubles as a flamethrower/laser phaser. Or some really lame Chinese bamboo thing.

Even though it would kill the spirit of the game, they should open McDonalds in all the main cities like falador, varrock, ardougne. :lol:

A burger should heal 6 hp

Fries would heal 2 hp

Happy meals would have a burger, fries, and a toy horse.

Of course, after every 100 burgers and fries you eat, you will die of a heart attack and end up in lumbridge. :-$

First D-Drop on 7/2/07! (skirt)

Trading herb seeds for herbs with INSANELY GREAT ratios to earn you millions!

One of the few players of Runescape who knows PHP, Java, Javascript, HTML, and Advanced Image Editing while being under 18! \:D/

+1 They would hide it well. Maybe something like after you use the gnome glider he says "Thanks for choosing Northwest Airlines" :P

Just for the record, I'm not flying Jet Blue.

Lewagold2Sig2.jpg

^Clicky for Q Cape Blog^

MY SIGGIE AND BANNER SHOP

Wow...That would be great!!! Even better would be "Thanks for choosing Northwest Gnomelines!" :XD:

TheDarkestLight2.jpg

[hide]

Come, be my light.

Mingle with my darkness

May we mix to create

Our own twilight sunset

The dusk breeze

Spreading clouds

On our murky horizon

~Darkpoet837~[/hide]

god i hope Runescape doesn't go the way neopets did ><

+1

This would very nearly make me quit the game. It would totally kill Runescape for me. Unless there was a quest where you get to kill the McDonald's clown.... :twisted:

Recksash.png

Politics,n. Strife of interests masquerading as a conflict of principles. -Ambrose Bierce

Barrow drops:

Verac's Helm