Olympics 2008

mrpez

discuss anything you want about them. namely, which country do you want to win, which sports, etc.

i probably wont watch much of the olympics myself. the only sports i like are swimming and lacrosse, one of which isnt even in the olympics. basketball is okay, but i only watch the spurs.

im looking forward to seeing iran win anything so i can drape a large iranian flag on my back and run yelling through the neighborhood, thereby raising the terror level of my neighborhood to orange.

as requested, here is a link to the total medal count for these olympic games (updated daily): http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/medals

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Opening ceremony was simply amazing, especially the ignition of the olympic flame.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

only good things about the Olympics are the opening and closing ceremonies, rest of it i have no care for ( doesn't help that most of the events will be on so early for me )

9fade1.png

9fade1.png

9FADE1.png

9fade1.png

Eagerly awaiting the closing ceremony to finish. I was playing Battlefield2 during the opening, and I don't care for what's in between the start and finish.

That said, AU to dominate in the pool.

Aw, crap, it's started already? When's the next event, or is it a continous thing?

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

im looking forward to seeing iran win anything so i can drape a large iranian flag on my back and run yelling through the neighborhood, thereby raising the terror level of my neighborhood to orange.

I was thinking about Tehran hosting the 2016 Olympics, with Ahmadinejad opening the games. Would be way more cooler than the Queen in four years' time. -.-

China have got a strong chance of getting more golds than the US this year.

GO CHINA! china-flag-16.gif(not that anyone in China can actually read this post...)

The US team this year is weak apparently. The Aussies have got high ambitions, we're hoping for 4th. We've even sent a 14-year-old to secure a medal for us. :roll:

I was thinking about Tehran hosting the 2016 Olympics, with Ahmadinejad opening the games. Would be way more cooler than the Queen in four years' time. -.-

China have got a strong chance of getting more golds than the US this year.

GO CHINA! china-flag-16.gif(not that anyone in China can actually read this post...)

The US team this year is weak apparently. The Aussies have got high ambitions, we're hoping for 4th. We've even sent a 14-year-old to secure a medal for us. :roll:

wow, a 14 year old? Isn't there some age limit or something

Only in the football. If you qualify, and your country's got an Olympic Committee, you can participate at any age I think.

He's a diver though, so I don't get how they get away with filming him. It's not like I can go down to my local swimming pool and film all the kiddies jumping off the springboards... :?

Only in the football. If you qualify, and your country's got an Olympic Committee, you can participate at any age I think.

He's a diver though, so I don't get how they get away with filming him. It's not like I can go down to my local swimming pool and film all the kiddies jumping off the springboards... :?

Well it's not like we are filming it to jerk to, it's for a competition, like if a parent filmed their son's swimming competition

is tehran supposed to host the 2016 games?

unfortunately, i doubt it will happen.

UncleSam.jpg

edit: run4runes, its different when you broadcast the footage internationally.

there are the olymics and the junior olymics

olymics can be any age, and junior olymics have to be 18 or under, basicly for people who just aren't good enough to make them this year, but maybe in 4 more years they might be able to. my friend going to the junior olymics this year for swimming he is beastly lol, and he turned 18 :P he doesn't think he will go to the olymics in 2012 though

USA ftw

legends2.jpg

I enjoyed the dancing part of the opening ceremony, but watching people walk around doesn't hold my interest. I'll watch it on and off once the events start though, even though I don't really care who wins.

Just saw Guam's flag bearer, 6'5", 399lbs. I'd hate to have to go against him. :shock:

7 years 'scape knowledge and counting

m8pu02.png

99 Attack - June 8th 2010 99 Defence - August 2nd 2011 99 HP - December 2nd 2011

I saw the first hour or two of the opening ceremony. Stunning. The drummers at the start blew my mind. Lots of rehearsals to do that. Amazing. But after a while I got a bit bored with it, everything was a metaphor for something and I just wanted the athletes to come in.

I want Australia to carve up in the pool. They should :). And I'd like to watch all the sports that aren't normally on TV. I never get to see athletics, gymnastics, diving, high jump etc but they insist on showing swimming. The most monotonous sport.

newsigzl2.jpg

^Sir Jem 05-The Bunny Drinking Blog?^ Click it!

tetsupportsig2.jpg

And I'd like to watch all the sports that aren't normally on TV. I never get to see athletics, gymnastics, diving, high jump etc but they insist on showing swimming. The most monotonous sport.

Yeah, that's also what I like about watching the Olympics. You get a huge diversity of world class athletics in a period of a few weeks, and you get to watch a lot of sports that you don't normally get to see.

Combat FTL

Combat_FTL.png

It was pretty obvious when the countries were introduced, what countries were honored to be there, and the others that thought that it was just a normal thing. I think I have a higher respect for the people in the smaller countries now. The Canadians and some of the Americans were just acting a fool while being introduced. ;\

I watched the opening ceremony, Was freaking awesome. The firework footsteps and the 2008 drummers going at it. Freaking sweet.

I hope sweden wins some medals.

aah.png

aah.png
aah.png

aah.png

People in glass houses should shower in the basement.

I think I watched the whole opening ceremony, I'm in the same time zone as Beijing I think. So that's good.

The ceremony was pretty nice, but it could only be good to a certain extent. Not to mention I had a headache, but I wanted to see the athletes come out.

Was there an order to the countries, by the way? I'm pretty sure in the past, it's been by alphabetical order, in the language of the host. But Chinese doesn't have an alphabet...

Taiwan already won a medal. Yay. (They're known as Chinese Taipei, for ridiculous reasons... :roll: ) I hope they get a few more...

And Adam, I think you can find it on the main website. If you haven't already.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.