1 September 2008 - Behind the Scenes - September

Xecer

Runescape.com wrote:

When you decide to train a skill, you may have one area in mind: a favourite patch of trees, perhaps, or a specific altar to craft your runes. Well, this month's first update, Distractions and Diversions, will threaten to turn that way of thinking on its head. You see, Distractions and Diversions will offer new ways of training your skills, but you'll rarely know when (or where) they'll turn up next...

Take Penguin Hide and Seek, for example. You may be walking around RuneScape, summoning yaks and thieving paladins, when something catches your eye. Is that a flash of beak in that nearby bush? Does that toadstool have flippers? You won't be going loopy - the penguins of the north are spying on us humans, and Larry will want you to spot them first. He'll be willing to pay well for a penguin sighting and will even cash in your Penguin Points for experience in any skill.

It would be hard to get more bizarre than penguins in mushroom costumes, but Distractions and Diversions has an ace up its sleeve. That ace will be Balthazar Beauregard's Big Top Bonanza, a travelling circus that encourages the audience to get up and join the action. Wow the crowds with a magic trick, acrobatic feat and a well-placed throwing knife and you'll gain experience or even an outfit to clown about in.

The last Distraction and Diversion will come in the form of a Shooting Star. Instead of making a wish, you'll need to rush to the crash site and mine its thick outer layers. Break through them on your own or with others and you'll uncover a curious-looking star sprite, the magical inhabitant of shooting stars. As a reward, it might even help you out with some gold, objects and the ability to temporarily mine quicker.

Not all of our updates arrive and depart as unpredictably as Distractions and Diversions; the following release, the Clan Wars Update, is a far more predictable (but welcome) addition to this Behind the Scenes. It'll bring a swathe of new options for creating a clan war that suits you. What options will be available? Time for a list!

* Free-for-all battles

* The optional ability to run back into battle after death

* Combat style

* New obstacle choices

* Single-way areas

* Time limits

* Kills required for a victory

* Keep/Lose items on death (without the ability for other players to pick them up)

* New arenas

The option we're most stoked about is free-for-all battles, where anyone will be able to run in and start battling immediately. It won't matter if you're in a clan or not; you'll be teleported to a vast PvP area where you can have a large scrap with anyone else you meet in there.

'A large scrap' is exactly what will be offered in Summer's End. In this dramatic conclusion to Spirit of Summer, you'll be confronted by the beast who has been sapping the family's souls. Unfortunately, yours is particularly tasty, so you'll need swift feet, hard skin and help from some spirited friends if you're going to survive. The quest will be particularly taxing for those who are not prepared, but you'd expect that from a skill-based battle with one of RuneScape's hardest-hitting monsters, right? Don't worry: the rewards and the family's heartwarming smiles will definitely be worth it.

There will be few smiles in our last thriller update, Defender of Varrock. Deep in the Wilderness, braindead hordes will form into ranks, in a manner that the evil dead rarely do. Such an occurrence will need to be investigated, of course, and the identities of those behind it will have to be revealed. The question is, can you turn the zombie tide before Varrock becomes a shambling land of the dead? Reading the Legend of Arrav lores and histories may well help you out in this particular adventure...

It's not all war, zombies and soul-eating this month: there are laughs to be had in the Postbag from the Hedge, with some pictures that are far more handsome than a zombie's ugly mug in our Players' Gallery and wallpaper release.

Got it again, yay :D

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like an interesting month, I'm looking forward to the spirit of summer quest

looks like the rumors that the pvp worlds were coming out today was false, looks like we'll have to wait another month of the predictions of what to buy messing up the economy

croppedskill2ph6.png

621st person to achieve 99 slayer on December 3rd, 2007

177th person to 99 summoning on June 21st, 2008

Wow....only the quest looks decent...

Clan wars: THE most useless thing in the world even more awful. You can't even loot? Pfft.

New randoms: Yay more stuff to make us lose time.

The quest looks decent... the varrock thing looks cool

ib7rVm.png

Behind the Scenes of the Behind the Scenes:

In the coming months, we'll be making some changes to the Behind the Scenes, offering you a more attractive look and a better idea of upcoming content. So, if you'd like a tour of what we've got in store, please read on...

The first change is screenshots. Instead of just telling you about our updates, we'll be bringing you images of them in glorious technicolour - and in RuneScape HD, of course.

We've also got plans to hint about future content, outside of the month's releases. The 'glimpse of the future' section will include handpicked updates that excite us, and that you'll be excited about too. So, what better way of getting you used to this new feature than producing one for this Behind the Scenes?

Did they forgot about this or am I missing something?

Intresting month. It looks like alot of quests. (sos2, D&D and dov)

The Distractions and Diversions dosen't really sound too exciting, is this counting as a quest? Hopefully we can go deeper into the Penguins storyline.

Spirit of Summer 2 sounds cool, looks like a high req quest, I'm guessing we won't be fighting any 717's, unless it gets into the normal world, dosen't it mean we can't fight it, but our summons? *stocks up on pouchs*

I hope Defender of Varrock is a quest, 2 wildly quests in one month? This isn't Jagex! :lol: :roll:

Its a history based quest it seems so thats cool. Will this be a All Fired Up sequal? Seems like it,

Like I said, this isn't jagex-like, if my predictions are right of DoV being a quest and it is related to All Fired Up (which it really seems like it.) Jagex must be doing short quests to get ready for the big one!

Its all really exciting. Despite what others said, I'm really looking forward to this month!

Behind the Scenes of the Behind the Scenes:

In the coming months, we'll be making some changes to the Behind the Scenes, offering you a more attractive look and a better idea of upcoming content. So, if you'd like a tour of what we've got in store, please read on...

The first change is screenshots. Instead of just telling you about our updates, we'll be bringing you images of them in glorious technicolour - and in RuneScape HD, of course.

We've also got plans to hint about future content, outside of the month's releases. The 'glimpse of the future' section will include handpicked updates that excite us, and that you'll be excited about too. So, what better way of getting you used to this new feature than producing one for this Behind the Scenes?

Did they forgot about this or am I missing something?

I was just about to post the same thing.

I guess they'll start from next month or something.

The Distractions thing looks like another mundane, pointless minigame that will be overwhelmingly full the first few days and then totally empty thereafter.

Clan Wars looks awesome, and SoS2 looks awesome. Those are the only things that interest me this month.

td2sig.jpg

Quests sound good, looks like s.o.s 2 will have some high requirements.

Arrav returning as a zombie anyone? :thumbsup:

the new random event things look a little, well, erm, random. just have to wait and see if there any good.

Theres a fine line between not listening and not caring,

I like to think I walk this line every day.

Pinning blame on Jagex is like trying to put pants on an old man.

You both know he needs them, but he'll just keep dancing around, avoiding them at all costs.

Meh, The only thing im looking forward to is the Clan wars update. ::'

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

Looks like a pretty god month to me. I love quests, the clan wars thing looks like it could be fun, and the penguins thing sounds cool, but we'll just have to wait and see how it all works.

And (as said already) where're all the changes to the BTS they talked about? :-k

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are only 10 types of people

in this world: those who understand

binary and those who don't.

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try

try: command not found

good work getting that information here comrad!

Really looking forward to the penguin update! One of the "best" stories in my opinion (I like it when there are a lot of funny "hints" to real world stuff).. - Maybe we can finally get into the kgb room now..

Also the sos upgrade looks awesome: I really liked the principle of the "2 worlds", it was something refreshing, new thing in runescape: hopefully it will be extended...

Any idea on what would be needed for the quests? - I guess more crafting/construction for the penguin quest.. And summoning for the sos quest (obviously): but what levels you guess?

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Most looking forward to clan wars update.

I hope there'd be castle wars- clan wars arena.

You know, a clan wars arena that looks and works like castle wars. So you could play castle wars without noobs ruining it.