17th March 2009 - The Chosen Commander|Route-finding Update

Sentry_Wolf

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about the quest since I haven't done it (Or any other quest in that storyline tbh) yet, but the pathfinding update is awesome. Even though it have ceratinly cost a lot of time, it was worth it. Great work Jagex :thumbsup:

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Haha say good-bye to the PVP Trick!

Bronze arrows+ regular bow+ uber range def+ bunyip? Maybe even drink some brews to get range lvl down. Gf?

Or just camp in unpopulated training spots. Barrows. XP, charms, and pvp time :roll:

Been there for 8 hours+

RSOF is megaspammy. :? spamclick next page to see three-four posts appear every second :lol: Worlds Offline thread got locked :XD: 1625 posts in less than an hour..

Hope they get the servers up quick, me wants my cape back :thumbsup:

worldsoffline.png

Went out with a bang

I now prenounce you man and wife.

LMAO what a loser. Its like his girlfriends just dumped him. LOOOOOOOOL :lol:

Lol, ignorance. Lots and lots of ignorance.

wl7w9j.png

Am I the only person that was a little surprised (and disappointed) at the lack of a miniquest associated with the Throne of Bandos area? The quest was easily one of my favourites, but a small miniquest in the Throne of Bandos might have been a nice excuse for more backstory.

Well the spoilers that I was lame enough to read make this seem like just another mediocore xp quest...but the agility course may be nice if I ever feel like training that again, oh well suppose I'll go do my homework and then come back to this.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

Decided to do the quest for granite mauls. Took about an hour and a half without a guide. Asked a few friend how to do the grubfoot part otherwise it was easy.

The Ogre are great profit as for the maul when it hits it's sick. One hit the ogre statue(75). Many times with it gotten 2 so far hoping for more.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Quest was fun. Thanks for the path finding update. :thumbsup:

Exp rates per hour at course?

Many believe that the 1980 eruption of Mt. Saint Helens was a catostrophic geological event, in reality it was the day that Jimi Hendrix returned to Earth from the next world and actually stood up next to a mountain and chopped it down with the edge of his hand.

-Random Youtuber

It actually feels awesome when I'm running around now, and it just does it without doing some crazy dance. Doing agility should be more smooth now :D

And the quest sounds neat - sure, not the big #150 a lot hopped for, but it is still a quest :)

Well, i was hoping for a quest that I still can't do, but I REALLY like the goblin series, so this is good. I just need to figure out how to fight boss and if I can bring familars (I might range it with dragonhide or melee with protect mage)

Snowball997.png

Ok... Im not that good. But I have an anchor!!!

And Mywepon, did you not realise they made HUGE pro-gameplay update today? The route finder? That has been a problem for ages, but of course you don't notice, you're too busy hating on Jagex. Gawd, I hate kids (or old people who act like kids, whatever).

Actually, after years of playing the RS2 engine, I can't say that I even found route-finding to be a problem. Maybe I just got used to it, and the problem is acutally very noticeable to a newbie. If you play the game long enough youll be able to easily predict your character movements even with route finder "problems". Then you just learn what ways you need to click to avoid massive dancing and voila, the "problem" is gone.

Also let me just point out to you guys another enormous problem with this game: the updates are not thought out at all. Example? They have just now added code to prevent wind striking...THIS BIG OF A GAMEPLAY HOSER SHOULD HAVE BEEN SEEN DURING DEVELOPMENT. How long is it going to take them now to update similar things for every bronze weapon, every low damage bow/arrow/bolt/knife, every noob-level quest weapon, the plain staff...and then after they update all these they are going to need to implement a system to prevent people from brewing down to 0 att/str/ranged...this is just absolutely [developmentally delayed]ed and the problem solving strategy is also absolutely [developmentally delayed]ed. How about this:

If you are in combat with the same person in a single-way zone for more than 10 minutes you stop gaining drop potential.

This is the simplest damned solution and it took me about 10 seconds to think of. Also upon analyzing the wind strike removal, my first thought was "okay! now what other weapons could be used" It seems Jagex doesn't think like that (or else the update today would have included more than a simple strike spell nerf), and wants to just wait for problems to become too widespread (BH RWT anyone?) and then just fix that, then wait for the next problem to become big, and fix that. They aren't looking to cure the illness, they are just remedying the symptoms.

Also I would just like to point out to everybody that there will never be an end to RWT because at the very least, there will always be discrepencies between player-price and GE-price. I can tell you that some of the most common RWT's involve junk/high ticket items. (i.e. if you pay full cash for my phat I give you 50 dollars, or if you let me buy your elysian I will pay you 100 dollars [yeah, thats where a lot of ESS are]) Implementing GE price controls has plauged RWT enough that most of it was completely cut out. This is enough. Taking these extreme measures to eliminate TINY sources of RWT are completely un-necessary.

If you think that RWTers were using the party room to gain 50k at a time you are sadly mistaken, and the sheer thought of this is just a complete joke. RWTers don't want to sit around and gain 50k every few minutes, giving less than 1m per hour. This is absolutely absurd. Most RWT is just RWT merchanting. One RWT sells to another gold seller, who hopes to sell higher and make real money. When they are dealing with trades that differ from $4.50 per mil to $5 per mil they don't have time at all to mess around with these little methods that can give 1m per hour if you work your [wagon] off. They get in, get 100m+, and go off to advertise hoping they can make money. Implementing these little "GE-to-store" caps, and removing a lot of acessibility with the party room, and capping the trade limit at a pathetic 60k per 15 minutes....just shows that nobody in charge really understands where any of the problems are in this game.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

I don't know the exact experience rate but I got approximately 13k exp in 15 minutes or so. :shock:

Many believe that the 1980 eruption of Mt. Saint Helens was a catostrophic geological event, in reality it was the day that Jimi Hendrix returned to Earth from the next world and actually stood up next to a mountain and chopped it down with the edge of his hand.

-Random Youtuber

I don't know the exact experience rate but I got approximately 13k exp in 15 minutes or so. :shock:

600xp a lap

tht'd make 52k xp an hour with ur rate.

But i think it may be a bit higher than tht

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

for some reason i knew the 150th quest wouldnt be big but i never pushed it as everyone was too confident knowing it would be huge.

Well, it is very big. Even deservant of a website re-design and a hoodie.... but I guess the actual quest is not on the scale of WGS. Probably the 2nd most important quest launch ever, seeing as its the first concluded storyline, only beaten by WGS since it was the first GM and was a true biggy in development for more than a year.

Just because its only an experienced quest doesn't meen it's a small quest. I've seen people say they were genuinely moved by the storyline of this quest, can't wait to do it myself ^^

"There are only two strategies in war. Move forward or change. The victor is the first to realise that when he cannot move forward he must change."

~ Mod Mark H ~

100000players-2.jpg

Not sure if this was posted:

The cause of this afternoons server instability has now been identified and has been fixed.

The problem was caused by a change we made in today's update to make the game load faster. Unfortunately whilst the change worked fine when we were it testing it, it didn't work once it was opened up to thousands of people.

For the technically minded, the problem was as follows:

We made a small change to our code to increase the size of the network buffers the game server uses (to allow the updates to load faster and reducing map loading times).

We calculated that our servers had enough spare memory and bandwidth to support the increase, and it also worked fine in testing so we went ahead and launched it.

However it turns out that network buffers sit in kernel memory, and furthermore there is a limit to how much memory the kernel can address (which isn't related to the amount of physical memory in the machine.). This means even though the machine had plenty of spare RAM once we hit about 10,000 concurrent connections on a single server, we ran out of kernel memory and the servers started breaking horribly. Worse still it turns out if that happens it doesn't just refuse to open a new connection, it starts randomly killing processes or crashes the whole machine. :(

We've put the network buffers back to their old size now, and are rebooting the dead servers so everything should be back to normal shortly. We'll try again with this improvement once we've worked out how to sort out the kernel memory limitation, it probably means moving to a 64-bit kernel.

The problem is we make hundreds of changes to our product every month to improve it for you, and despite testing sometimes things slip through. For example for this particular change we were just changing one number in our code, and it didn't seem complicated or dangerous, but it had significant unexpected knock on consequences.

I'm really sorry about this happening. I know this post is a bit technical but I thought I should at least explain what went wrong.