WTF is up with FARMING? Watermelons..... then what?

yheraluna

I agree. Carrots improve eyesight so they should give you an Attack boost too.

That's a myth, it doesn't help your eye sight at all.

Are you stupid? It's proven too.

No, it is a myth. Although it can maintain your eyes it does not improve them.

While there is some truth to the old wives' tale regarding carrots and eyesight, Professor Algis Vingrys, from the University of Melbourne's Department of Optometry and Vision Services, says no amount of carrots will improve your eyesight if you already have a well balanced diet.

source

http://www.abc.net.au/health/talkinghea ... 176569.htm

Also here is a little video on the myth if you are interested... http://uk.truveo.com/Dr-Know-Carrots-an ... /951185256

On topic: You have plenty of other things to farm, i don't think every category needs really high lvls.

jpegsigtest.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the issue is that once you pass the levels you need for watermelons, you really never have any need to use an allotment again. I see how this could be a pain when you have an all but useless farming patch consistently sitting empty, that could otherwise be included into your farming rounds. It makes more sense to have higher level allotments, just so the patches they grow in see a little use.

If you can get a steady supply of watermelon seeds and have white lilies planted in the flower spot, then watermelons become awesome xp. I started growing watermelons again during my push to 99 because of lilies; they helped me get my cape a lot quicker.

Not knowing exactly what average yields are, just guessing 10 for the sake of easy math: 10 melons * 5 = 50 melons per run (2725 xp per run). How many runs can you do a day: 5? 8? More? Cheap watermelon seeds are as good as planting trees.

Any higher allotment seeds would have to have longer growing times in order to prevent them from displacing trees. Maybe that would be a good thing; I won't speculate.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

I think the issue is that once you pass the levels you need for watermelons, you really never have any need to use an allotment again. I see how this could be a pain when you have an all but useless farming patch consistently sitting empty, that could otherwise be included into your farming rounds. It makes more sense to have higher level allotments, just so the patches they grow in see a little use.

If you can get a steady supply of watermelon seeds and have white lilies planted in the flower spot, then watermelons become awesome xp. I started growing watermelons again during my push to 99 because of lilies; they helped me get my cape a lot quicker.

Not knowing exactly what average yields are, just guessing 10 for the sake of easy math: 10 melons * 5 = 50 melons per run (2725 xp per run). How many runs can you do a day: 5? 8? More? Cheap watermelon seeds are as good as planting trees.

Any higher allotment seeds would have to have longer growing times in order to prevent them from displacing trees. Maybe that would be a good thing; I won't speculate.

Average yield is over 15, I've had over 30 watermelons from one patch multiple times as well.

I believe I read somewhere that Jagex will fill out those gaps in the skills. This includes other stats that have large gaps (eg prayer nothing between 70-99).

Dragon drops: 82 (2 claws)

Dagannoth kings drops: 73

Barrows item count: 51

GWD drops: 54 (5 hilts: 1x bandos, 3x saradomin, 1x zamorak)

Whips: 4

Sigils: 1x spectral (FFA), 1x arcane (FFA)

That was a Myth the British government made up in WW2 to promote people growing and eating there own veg and explain why there fighters where beating the Germans at night or so I believe, the actually reason they where beating them was infact the British use of radar.

That or someone has been lying to me again :lol:

Theres a fine line between not listening and not caring,

I like to think I walk this line every day.

Pinning blame on Jagex is like trying to put pants on an old man.

You both know he needs them, but he'll just keep dancing around, avoiding them at all costs.

I don't know how this thread is still in this forum, or hasn't been locked yet but...

carrots are a good source of beta-carotene aka vitamin A which will improve your eyesight if you are deficient but if you aren't it won't really do anything for you.

Don't flame people just because you see other people arguing against them, it makes you look stupid.

On Topic: I can't see what else we could grow that would benefit us and not just be some worthless item thats only use is to add to the compost bin to make super compost. Although if they choose to add another plant to the allotment section they may make it a second for a new familiar, a new type of food, or some pointless plant we need to grow for a new quest. Although these are all possibilities I highly doubt any of them will happen.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayl4.png

Quit. PM me if you play The Conduit to exchange friend codes.

Average yield is over 15, I've had over 30 watermelons from one patch multiple times as well.

I also think the average yield is way higher than 10, I did them for a few days during 98-99 and my max was 55/patch (really annoying, couldn't note them at the leprechaun yet so had to drop them all :/)

2dvjurb.png

i wanna sow plow harvest a field. buy /raze a horse in time progress to tractor /harvester

Presuming I understood that, Tractor technology wasn't recorded until the 19th century. Jagex will always try their best to keep the content accurate to the time setting.

In any case, how would that be different than now? You'd probably watch a little cutscene of your character going around plowing a field. If you didn't and had to plow the field entirely by hand, I'd want a heck of a lot of xp for that. More than I'm willing to bet Jagex would be willing to give.

Don't get me wrong, There's always new additions to skills that can take them to new directions, and I would always love to see new content to existing skills. However, I think there's more possibility than trying to make up a riding addition to farming.

what do you want?

Level 75: Pesticide! you will never have diseased crops, but you will have the hunter skill erased from your bar, cuz all the critters are dead! yay!

I Approve! =D>

sgsagssighe6.jpg

the trick is to balance all of these methods to get 99 and either play real life or train another skill while farming.

635th to 99 Farming 12/16/07

i eat prolly 2-4 carrots a day since i was 3 and my vision is about 20/8(yes much better than 20/20), at doctor i went to vision part for physical and went to farthest back line and was supposed to read the bottom row on chart which was marked 20/10, i think took 3 steps back and covered one eye and read it, carrots are ftw

a_final_name.png

i eat prolly 2-4 carrots a day since i was 3 and my vision is about 20/8(yes much better than 20/20), at doctor i went to vision part for physical and went to farthest back line and was supposed to read the bottom row on chart which was marked 20/10, i think took 3 steps back and covered one eye and read it, carrots are ftw

SS or it didn't happen. :lol:

And that story just shouts coincidence. Two events occurring simultaneously doesn't imply causation.

I don't think there needs to be more allotment any new plants until they are made useful aside from dumping in compost bins or paying farmers.

But you could have also never touched a carrot in your life and still had the same eyesight.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayl4.png

Quit. PM me if you play The Conduit to exchange friend codes.

SS or it didn't happen. :lol:

And that story just shouts coincidence. Two events occurring simultaneously doesn't imply causation.

I don't think there needs to be more allotment any new plants until they are made useful aside from dumping in compost bins or paying farmers.

They're a(n):

•  
    [*:1jnabxde]ingredient in brewing (mature brews sell for double if not quadruple their GE value)

[*:1jnabxde]useful in herblore (seconds and primaries)

[*:1jnabxde]a useful, cheap training food

[*:1jnabxde]payment for farmers (as you mentioned)

[*:1jnabxde]a source of your own personal resource (trees)

They offer a LOT of low-level rewards, which cater to the majority of RS players. But I notice that the people who want more out of farming are mid to high leveled players. I already think they offer a damn lot, and a little profit besides if you do it right. That's more to say for some skills, like construction or agility.

Personally, I'm satisfied with Farming. A high level update would be nice but I don't see how it could be so revolutionary that it'd actually make farming profitable like hunter/slayer could be. That's just not what farming will be...

...at least, that's my opinion of it. *shrug*

(They could at least make the produce/vegetables free-to-play. I think that baskets of strawberries would be FANTASTIC food for f2p'ers.)

And for cripes sake stop talking about carrots! :wall:

hzvjpwS.gif

I'd like to see high level variation of low level crops, maybe red cabbage, or Heirloom tomatoes.

It's not really needed, its more for personal taste.

Join Future Update News! The longest running update speculation thread on the RSOF, currently on its 24 Edition

QFC 16-17-671-59680498

314v28z.jpg

Thanks to Killerwat for the sig!

Some skill gaps can't be helped. Why haven't they added new lure fishing types? Or maybe higher end leather armor for crafting? Truth is allotments are more of a means to an end. Just like I went through 3k leather hides til I could craft tiaras, once I reached yew trees and kwaurm herbs for farming I rarely touched my allotments.

If they had added some more useful purpose for allotments, I wouldn't mind using them, because I prefer usefulness over experience points. Hops too, need a huge improvement. They need to at least double the leve requirements for farming hops, and double the stat bonus too.

Sarineka.png

~Less QQ, Moar Pew Pew~

I don't know how anyone would have thought to make a seagull launcher out of a shirt and an accordion for Rocking Out though... That just seems too out there

Maybe make some new seeds that are rare drops in the charm slot of drop system. So the seeds provide alot of xp but cant be traded and are grown on in the allotment space. The raw food you get cant be traded but if you have the cooking lvl you could cook the food and then that could be sold and lets say it heals 18 for the lowest on and 22 for the best. ITs rare so it wont take over has the best food but it will give some extra things to grow.

You're absolutely right. Farming needs a cheaper alternative even if it's a bit slower. I'd like to see some of those giant flowers from the rain forest added.

Lord_Cool_LV.png

Lord_Cool_LV.png

Quest Cape originally achieved 4/14/09

99 Cooking achieved 1/1/09

5/6 Achievement Diaries completed

It would be nice to have some higher level plants in the allotments that aren't good for training on, but are useful as:

a) Food.

B) High level herblore secondaries.

c) Stat boosting stuff.

Something that rewards high level farmers for their effort.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Maybe make some new seeds that are rare drops in the charm slot of drop system. So the seeds provide alot of xp but cant be traded and are grown on in the allotment space. The raw food you get cant be traded but if you have the cooking lvl you could cook the food and then that could be sold and lets say it heals 18 for the lowest on and 22 for the best. ITs rare so it wont take over has the best food but it will give some extra things to grow.

All you people keep talking about higher food not realizing that you already make some of the best food from farming if you do it right. Grow potatoes in one plot and onions or corn in another (yes i realize they aren't the highest to farm). Then grow mushrooms in the plot west of canifis or fish some tuna and you can make mushroom and onion potatoes (heals 20) or tuna and corn potatoes (heals 22), they are one bite so are superior to pies or pizza and also they sell for a little over 1k each. The only thing you need outside of farming is the tuna and butter, but you can churn your own or even buy it cheap from the chest in Lumby basement if you've done Recipe for Disaster(although the quantities are limited, but you can buy some,cook some food upstairs, then buy more, rinse and repeat til you're done cooking or fletch or alch, whatever floats your boat).