Post and discuss all Jagex Twitter updates here!

forestfrolic

For you maybe, I haven't really noticed a difference this year, in fact some of the updates have been pretty awesome!

Were you playing the previous years?

Last year we had alot of game fixes that people found equal to new content. Other years we got alot of new content AND bug fixes.

The player base is huge, we pay them alot of money, is it really that harsh of us then to ask for nice updates?

The economy is ruined, look at the price of about half of the treasure trail-rewards, all bought out. So is every semi- hard to get item.

So called 'merch-clans' shoot up like mushrooms, scamming the inexperienced out of their money.

Last year price manipulation was illegal, how is f.e. "verac skirt 2.5" not price manipulation?

What did Jagex do? Nothing... 'Junk trades are fine' comeone, really?

So what are those pretty awsome updates this year you speak off?

Mobilising armies? That was hyped big time as being a huuuuge update, it got postponed for months because of numerous bugs. First day of release you were stuck at the first scenario and 99.9% doesn't even like to play it.

New pvp-drops? BOOM -> hyperinflation. (allthough I was glad they removed d full helms/dfs/etc. but replacing a bad decision by another bad decision just isn't smart. )

Herblore update: how many times did this get 'fixed' afterwards? Extreme pots not available in pvp, magic pots rebalanced, .........

I have to admit I liked the agility/wc/mining/fishing updates, but all they really do is filling gaps and making skills that alot of us find boring, less boring, thus liked.

Compare this to 2008:

Runescape HD

While Guthix sleeps + tormented demons (dragon claws + dragon platebody)

Summoning

Vinesweeper

Bounty hunter

Smoking kills: slayer helm + slayer points

Lumbridge/Draynor/Fremennik/Falador achievement diary

Item lending

Runecrafting Guild

Bork/chaos tunnels

Distractions and diversions (circus/shooting stars/penguins)

Corporeal Beast

Stealing Creation

To sum it up: a new skill, 4 achievement diarys, 4 minigames and lots of other goodies.

2009:

Phoenix

Seers/Ardougne diary

Evil trees

Mobilising Armies

Aquanite (talk about a much hyped but minimalistic update)

Menagerie

Dragon pickaxe/hand cannon

Living rock caverns

Photo booth

Kuradal (aka: more of the same monsters in a different place)

New prayers (awsome update, I'll give you this one :razz: )

To sum it up: no skill, 2 achievement diarys, one (lousy) minigame and some(times enjoyable) other stuff.

Overall and in my humble opinion updates last year fell short and in alot of cases they were not well thought out.

It seemed at some times they abandoned Runescape to work on other games like Funorb and Mechscape.

The previous times we had to wait over a year for a skill, RS2 and Summoning got introduced, so let's hope for the best.

(Summoning was introcuced on 15 january 2008, if we don't get a new skill soon it will be over 2 years)

Yours sincerely,

(and sorry if my English isn't that good)

Tim

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comparing 2008 and 2009 really doesn't work. You can't expect Jagex to come out with a new skill every year, just like an engine can't run on full power all the time. You need times where more of the filler work is done, including improvements and revisions to content already in the game. That's what I see 2009 was.

Tact.gif

You know what would've been a proper substitution to show they don't have utter comtempt for us? How about the BTS 2010 that we've been anticipating? That could've given us something to talk about.

Or does that put them under stress to release things that year so they get rushed? :^_^:

They're propably more afraid of the community. BTS 2009 announced upgrade year :rolleyes:

And I prophecised how much those upgrades would lead to a lackluster year. It has. It was a bad year. Just compared to other years, it is the lowest.

I agree with MHL. The first ~10 months of last year were TERRIBLE. The last 2 months were win though.

3 weeks is too long, still.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Stay on topic please? I come seeing this thread bumped, thinking that there might be some update hint. However I keep getting let down with an arguement :-(

The sour dough of the epitmous pie hungers for another's sweet lips to be dulled into a state of most irreverant humbleness

TUBULAR BELLS!

Stay on topic please? I come seeing this thread bumped, thinking that there might be some update hint. However I keep getting let down with an arguement :-(

Next weeks update hint will propably appear on saturday or sunday.

And it better be Fairytale 3.

priest_wiz.png

Next weeks update hint will propably appear on saturday or sunday.

And it better be Fairytale 3.

If its not Fairly Tale 3, expect more discussion about the future of 2010 updates! :P

[/sarcasm]

2009:

Phoenix

Seers/Ardougne diary

Evil trees

Mobilising Armies

Aquanite (talk about a much hyped but minimalistic update)

Menagerie

Dragon pickaxe/hand cannon

Living rock caverns

Photo booth

Kuradal (aka: more of the same monsters in a different place)

New prayers (awsome update, I'll give you this one :razz: )

To sum it up: no skill, 2 achievement diarys, one (lousy) minigame and some(times enjoyable) other stuff.

What about?

Soul Wars? (There was actually 2 mini games in 2009)

Log-out Timer Increase?

Magic Update?

Route Finding Update?

Run Energy Update?

Most of these are used on almost a daily basis, yet you didn't include them on your list? Do you even remember what it was like playing with a 90 second log-out timer?

2009 was a great year for content, just not new content. MHL is going to flame me in the next post saying "well fixing old content is just a filler update and a weak attempt at producing new content and in 2008 they did both". But without fixing old content all you would have is new shiney metal being fused on old corroding metal. In 2008 they did do both, but it was more focused on new content and small bug fixes instead of big behind the scenes work and smaller content.

I'm paying my 5$ to remove the ad's and nothing more. Jagex needs to continue to focus on updating the core parts of the game, instead of the things people do for a day, then leave to rust. So here's hoping 2010 brings that :)

dawnsigblue-3.png

I find it pathetically boring that people rate 2009 as a bad year simply because instead of bug huge fixes and content we got a multitude of little fixes that don;t really denote "playable" content but when you truely stop and think about have probably impacted on you're game play.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

What about?

Soul Wars? (There was actually 2 mini games in 2009)

Log-out Timer Increase?

Magic Update?

Route Finding Update?

Run Energy Update?

Most of these are used on almost a daily basis, yet you didn't include them on your list? Do you even remember what it was like playing with a 90 second log-out timer?

2009 was a great year for content, just not new content. MHL is going to flame me in the next post saying "well fixing old content is just a filler update and a weak attempt at producing new content and in 2008 they did both". But without fixing old content all you would have is new shiney metal being fused on old corroding metal. In 2008 they did do both, but it was more focused on new content and small bug fixes instead of big behind the scenes work and smaller content.

I'm paying my 5$ to remove the ad's and nothing more. Jagex needs to continue to focus on updating the core parts of the game, instead of the things people do for a day, then leave to rust. So here's hoping 2010 brings that :)

Soul Wars is correct, 2 minigames then, compared to 4.

The rest of the updates you speak of, I didn't forget. I just didn't find them worth mentioning...

Logout-timer increase. Indeed, it's helpful, but I don't think that takes alot of time to program.

Magic update. Imo a tiny addon for an existing skill, which alot of people won't use since claws of guthix hit higher. (you're talking about surges, right?)

Route finding update: great update, other years things like this get fixed too though.

Run energy update: great update. The bards might be appealing to some, you're correct. But the thing people really liked was increasing the restore rate of energy. Update for this year: take away the energy bar? Alot of people will be pleased, I'm sure... :^_^:

There were alot of updates in 2008 I didn't mention either, you could go through that list too and find alot of things like the ones you said I forgot on the 2009-list.

I'm almost out of content (skills to lvl up until the point you have nothing extra to do) and I want the shiny metal. :cool:

Also it makes me sad when I see alot of my longtime friends leave this game due to the lack of new challenges when Jagex could have made them stay.

Imo they have alot of staff working for them and to me the end result of 2009 is quite meager. You have the right on your own opinion though.

Tiny bit OT:

Yesterday evening I took a look at the 2008 Jagex financial report.

Total turnover: 32.2m

profit before taxes: 14,5m

That's alot of profit for that turnover. And costs include wages of Funorb and Stellar Dawn, these aren't (will they ever be) self sustained parts of the company yet I think.

(So if they really wanted to keep their costumers happy, they could've thrown in an extra 5m on Runescape and stil have a 9.5m profit margin before taxes. New content updates and bug fixes every week, hooray!)

Honestly I dont think there needs to be new updates every week i would be happy with every 2 weeks or even 3 weeks. In RS classic sometimes things wouldnt be updated for almost a month and the updates were often small. Also it must be hard to keep comming up with new things to add into the game year after year. Think about it Runescape is 9 years old now it has lasted longer then most MMORPGs do and its still going to be around for a while. But how many more mini games/skills/ new content can be added every week or even every year at some point things get redundant and new for the sake of new just doesnt work. I hope that they slow down with the updates. Picture a fire and a can of gasoline. You could dump all the gasoline on the fire at once and for a short time it flare up or you could very slowly keep that fire burning for a very long time by slowly adding the gasoline.

Honestly I dont think there needs to be new updates every week i would be happy with every 2 weeks or even 3 weeks. In RS classic sometimes things wouldnt be updated for almost a month and the updates were often small. Also it must be hard to keep comming up with new things to add into the game year after year. Think about it Runescape is 9 years old now it has lasted longer then most MMORPGs do and its still going to be around for a while. But how many more mini games/skills/ new content can be added every week or even every year at some point things get redundant and new for the sake of new just doesnt work. I hope that they slow down with the updates. Picture a fire and a can of gasoline. You could dump all the gasoline on the fire at once and for a short time it flare up or you could very slowly keep that fire burning for a very long time by slowly adding the gasoline.

We haven't had a new weapon worth training with for high levels since Slayer was released.

God wars brought out new armor, but was the last time we have seen armor worth wearing.

High levels only have one challenging boss to fight, the Corp, and people have already begun to solo it.

Smithing hasn't seen a skill changing update since 2001.

The biggest update Firemaking has seen was when you didn't have to drop logs in order to light them, in 2003.

We've been training prayer the same way for ages, and it's still a broken skill to train with because you HAVE to grind it or else it will be way too slow.

Magic still hasn't been completely fixed, because combat is still too expensive to train with, and is pointless to even use unless in PvP.

Agility is still a boring skill to train, and needs to be made to where there other options to level up rather than mindlessly clicking back and forth on obstacles and swings.

I could keep on going, but I'd rather you take the hint that Runescape actually does have updates that are needed. In fact, the past 3-5 years has been Jagex completely ignoring a lot of updates, and instead whipping out useless minigames or pointless PvP changes. In which, most likely 85% of Jagex' devotion to this game has been thinking of what update will look good with PvP, and have completely ditched the idea of PvM.

Stellactic.gif

We've been training prayer the same way for ages, and it's still a broken skill to train with because you HAVE to grind it or else it will be way too slow.

I can do about 1.3k d bones an hour at my gilded alter, that's about 320k xp per hour, with each trip having at least 1 minute of afk time usually more. How much easier and faster do you want prayer to be?

Other than that I agree with most of the other things you said though.

I can do about 1.3k d bones an hour at my gilded alter, that's about 320k xp per hour, with each trip having at least 1 minute of afk time usually more. How much easier and faster do you want prayer to be?

I don't want it to be necessarily easy at all. I just want it to be different. Prayer is not even a skill based around combat, if you consider the way you train it. You train prayer the way you would train a non-combat skill. And if you would like to look into it, then prayer is the equivalence of Herblore, and how we got non-tradable potions. Prayer costs a lot, and the only way you can use the higher level prayers is by spending a lot of money to level up, which if you ask me is the same thing people were complaining about when the overload potions came out.

If burring bones was made easier and more worthwhile, or we were given another way to gain prayer xp off of each kill we get, then prayer would be less biased to rich people, and PvP would no longer be based around how rich you are. However, as of now and how it has always been, prayer is just another skill to buy up, rather than train.

This argument is mainly for Jagex, because it's rather hypocritical for them to take extremes and overloads out of the wilderness but not take out prayers.

The argument is also because prayer shouldn't be a grind skill, and there are plenty of other options that could be made to train it.

Stellactic.gif

I don't want it to be necessarily easy at all. I just want it to be different. Prayer is not even a skill based around combat, if you consider the way you train it. You train prayer the way you would train a non-combat skill. And if you would like to look into it, then prayer is the equivalence of Herblore, and how we got non-tradable potions. Prayer costs a lot, and the only way you can use the higher level prayers is by spending a lot of money to level up, which if you ask me is the same thing people were complaining about when the overload potions came out.

If burring bones was made easier and more worthwhile, or we were given another way to gain prayer xp off of each kill we get, then prayer would be less biased to rich people, and PvP would no longer be based around how rich you are. However, as of now and how it has always been, prayer is just another skill to buy up, rather than train.

This argument is mainly for Jagex, because it's rather hypocritical for them to take extremes and overloads out of the wilderness but not take out prayers.

The argument is also because prayer shouldn't be a grind skill, and there are plenty of other options that could be made to train it.

Oh when you said grind it I thought you meant it was too hard and annoying to train (Sorta like thieving)

Oh when you said grind it I thought you meant it was too hard and annoying to train (Sorta like thieving)

If a combat skill has to be trained in combat, that would make the training even more unoriginal. As of now, combat is pretty efficient, allowing you to train slayer, summoning, HP, and one of the 5 combat stats.

There are many methods to train Prayer, just that you're looking at efficiency and disregarding those that are slower. If you want, Pest Control, Soul Wars, shade cremating, gilded altar, Ectofuntus and burying bones every now and then can be part of your prayer training. But you're looking at getting prayer up first and fast, of course you would be looking at only the fastest (and usually the most expensive) method. The rich way to train exists for every skill, there's nothing you can do about it.

And I thought it's been mentioned over and over, Herblore doesn't add to your combat levels, but the later benefits is dependant on Herblore level, which makes all the difference from Prayer. Sure you're entitled to use the prayer you've unlocked with the level, but the prayer levels you gain also increases your combat level, a parameter of your combat prowess (though not very accurate). But hey, it's way better than having you looking for a target in PVP worlds of equal combat level, thinking that you might have a chance, only to realise that he's on extreme overload, and you lost because you didn't train a skill that isn't even directly combat related?

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

[but hey, it's way better than having you looking for a target in PVP worlds of equal combat level, thinking that you might have a chance, only to realise that he's on extreme overload, and you lost because you didn't train a skill that isn't even directly combat related?

Actually you can't use overloads in PvP, so the hidden cb lvls have no real advantage.

britonlongbo.png

[but hey, it's way better than having you looking for a target in PVP worlds of equal combat level, thinking that you might have a chance, only to realise that he's on extreme overload, and you lost because you didn't train a skill that isn't even directly combat related?

Actually you can't use overloads in PvP, so the hidden cb lvls have no real advantage.

That's their point. Prayer effects combat level, therefore it is allowed in PvP, herblore doesn't effect your combat level, therefore there is no way to gauge ones combat prowress if you gain an extra ~7 levels (over what one would get in super potions) and it doesn't show on your combat level. Now for the argument that supers are still usable and don't effect combat, they are tradable and hence can be obtained by anyone that is willing enough to use them.

And on another thought I wish jagex would update their twitter so the topic can go back on track :unsure:

1yrb49.jpg

@BKHagge The sneak peaks will return when the updates return, so expect to see some soon :-) Ajd

Was at 6am on the 8th of Jan.

Should be a new one on the 10th.

yes: omg:

OfficialJagex

Next week in #RuneScape: Why did Nomad get updated last week?! ~Ems(RSDev)

OfficialJagexFr

Pourquoi Nomade a-t-il été mis à jour la semaine dernière ? (RSDev)

Aka... Nomad is going to get into trouble ... please Mahjarrat 5... let JaGeX start with a grandmaster quest o_O

*shocked*

Lpfreaky90:

Master of Quests, Attack, Fletching, Strength, Hitpoints and Defence

lpfreaky90.png

lpfreaky90.png