24-Apr-2010 - Jagex Presents... RuneFest 2010

Infi

I am a bit concerned about getting there. I THINK I could convince my parents, but there's no way I could if I had to stay overnight so I'll probably be travelling from very early till very late. Going to an anime convention in the midlands had me out for over 12 hours - and London is even further. I guess it's not *too* bad since it's a direct train from Manchester to London. I'll just have to see when the prices come out, where I stand on everything.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only American who is sitting here reading this and thinking: "Wow...people take trains?"

Did you picture them in the Harry Potter train?

Lol, it's cute seeing Englishmen talking about long distances in their own country. 300 miles max. is not far! :razz:

If I played more RuneScape and lived on the same continent I might go.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Am I the only American who is sitting here reading this and thinking: "Wow...people take trains?"

Lol, it's cute seeing Englishmen talking about long distances in their own country. 300 miles max. is not far! :razz:

300 miles max?

Typical American knowing nothing. Its over 400miles (just) from london to Glasgow. London isnt even as far south as u can go and glasgow is a 200miles off the northern most reaches.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I am a bit concerned about getting there. I THINK I could convince my parents, but there's no way I could if I had to stay overnight so I'll probably be travelling from very early till very late. Going to an anime convention in the midlands had me out for over 12 hours - and London is even further. I guess it's not *too* bad since it's a direct train from Manchester to London. I'll just have to see when the prices come out, where I stand on everything.

Just stay overnight at a hotel and maybe ask someone to take you/drop you off if they live near you?

I'm not sure I could convince my parents to let me travel to London and stay overnight. And I wish I had an IRL friend who I could go with but I don't really have any people willing to travel to London just for a Runescape convention =/ It's a 4 hour journey by train so that's not *too* bad. I did that for the Nottingham thing that they had at Game City...

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

I'm heading from around there too, if I go.

By around there, I mean Manchester. South Manchester to be precise.

Seeing as you're a fellow Mancunian I may as well show you this:

http://www.mobitix.thetrainline.com/VT/advancepurchase.aspx

Return tickets for under £15?

Yes, i am God.

Although you can only book about 3weeks in advance, thats the only downside.

Edited by Magicmanmax
2v8sgvs.png

I am surprised nobody tried to connect this to blizzcon.

Runefest 2010? Blizzcon 2010? The pre-fix of the word defines the company, for example Rune for Jagex and Blizz for Blizzard. 2010 for the date? The format for the event title is EXACTLY THE SAME! It is obvious this is a pathetic attempt trying to copy Blizzard. Lastly, booze? They have booze at Blizzcon too! It is too obvious.

In other words, this sounds pretty..wierd. I mean I care enough about Jagex that I am a bit worried if only like 5 people bought the tickets. But it is also wierd to think hundreds of people will come to the event and talk about Runescape.

Meh.

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

I am surprised nobody tried to connect this to blizzcon.

Runefest 2010? Blizzcon 2010? The pre-fix of the word defines the company, for example Rune for Jagex and Blizz for Blizzard. 2010 for the date? The format for the event title is EXACTLY THE SAME! It is obvious this is a pathetic attempt trying to copy Blizzard. Lastly, booze? They have booze at Blizzcon too! It is too obvious.

In other words, this sounds pretty..wierd. I mean I care enough about Jagex that I am a bit worried if only like 5 people bought the tickets. But it is also wierd to think hundreds of people will come to the event and talk about Runescape.

Meh.

Keep in mind there are millions of players. if even 0.5% of the players showed up, it will be packed.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

300 miles max?

Typical American knowing nothing. Its over 400miles (just) from london to Glasgow. London isnt even as far south as u can go and glasgow is a 200miles off the northern most reaches.

It was a hyperbole. In any case, he made a reference to Englishmen. So assuming we aren't dealing with the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the length of England-conorth to south-isn't that far off of his approximation. Berwick-upon-Tweed to Portsmouth is about 400 miles. Mind you, that is the route distance and not the displacement.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

300 miles max?

Yes, but here those are considered piddling day car trip distances. There are people here who live 300 miles from the Atlantic and still call themselves "East Coasters". ;)

UK: 61 MM people in 244 k km^2

US: 309 MM people in 9,630 km^2

5 times the population, 40 times the size. It makes a difference.

As for the event itself, I guarantee they'll have no trouble filling it.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

300 miles max?

It was a hyperbole. In any case, he made a reference to Englishmen. So assuming we aren't dealing with the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the length of England-coast to coast-isn't that far off of his approximation. Berwick-upon-Tweed to Portsmouth is about 400 miles. Mind you, that is the route distance and not the displacement.

True but its still rather rich coming from someone in a nation where statistically something like 70% never leave the State they were born in/live and sumat stupid like 40 - 50% dont leave the city/rural region they were born in let alone the state.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

True but its still rather rich coming from someone in a nation where statistically something like 70% never leave the State they were born in/live and sumat stupid like 40 - 50% dont leave the city/rural region they were born in let alone the state.

Got a source for these figures, or just engaging in a bit of recreational America-bashing?

There's plenty to bash, mind you, but it's nice if you're going to complain about statistical inaccuracies to have facts to back it up. Because those sound like utter [cabbage] to me.

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Is that a bad thing?

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Can we avoid a UK vs USA war, and focus on the convention? :P

Jagex held it in the UK because that's where they are. If Runefest is a huge hit, they may very well have one in the US. But, since this is the first time they've done this, it's completely logical to hold it in London.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

Is that a bad thing?

It is when your trying to make condescending comments about the fact some in UK deems 300 miles a long trip, given that most americans never travel anywhere near tht far. Despite the fact their country is huge.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

most americans never travel anywhere near tht far. Despite the fact their country is huge.

Source?

signew2.png

Well... as an American... I'm at least glad to know that I'm not a statistic. I hate going along with trends.

Anyway... to whoever wanted to compare this to Blizzcon... it isn't even compareable. As far as the event title being "exactly the same".... if it were so, the title would be "Jagcon"... not "Runefest" as it is. Nice attempt though, I really hope that was sarcasm. Besides... Blizzard isn't the only company that has adult get-togethers based on their games. Three RIngs has conventions for Puzzle Pirates, and I'm pretty sure Star Wars Galaxies have/had conventions as well (not counting the comicbook conventions, mind you). Not sure if SWG is even supported anymore.

Shiva.jpeg

R.I.P Shiva

most americans never travel anywhere near tht far. Despite the fact their country is huge.

Source?

This. I've driven about 4,000 miles in the past three months alone (a few round trips from LA to San Francisco, with some whipped cream on top). Typical American amirite. :rolleyes:

Once again, I would really like to attend Runefest. I'm curious as to how many Americans will be visiting the UK just for that.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Considering that I live 5273 miles (8485 km) away from this event . . . I don't think that I will be going. :rolleyes: But if I did, I think I'd shave my head, wear green, and stand at the bar yelling "Fr33 B33r Pl0x" until someone gave me some beer to shut up. :thumbsup: Joking aside, I think it would be really cool if people crafted their own real life Runescape gear to display at the fest, (like real armors or partyhats). :thumbup:

Obviously we have no statistics on the email registration but if the Facebook event is anything to go by pretty much 90% of the people who said they are either "attending" or "maybe attending" are either underage (going by their picture which I know isn't really a scientific method) or are in countries thousands of miles away. Yes I understand that people might look young in their picture (I don't look 25) and that people might be saving up, but when what looks like a 12 year old from Panama says "attending" you know its complete bs.

Hopefully the 6 of us planning to go and meet up will all be able to make it. A few of us have met before but others of us have not. We vary in age but I am the youngest. It sounds pretty fun. I dont see it as a bunch of nerds meeting up for a Runescape convention and more of a chance to meet some good friends i've known for years online in a comfortable setting, and also get some sneak previews at upcoming updates.

I hope we wont all be logging on at some point for an event tho, I don't want people seeing how nooby my bank is lol.

And @3hitm4g3u. Don't dis getting drunk and talking about Runescape til you've tried it. :D

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12