Wilderness and free trade vote! - Now Closed

Jimmyw3000

576 members have voted

1. 1. Should Jagex reintroduce free trade and the old Wilderness?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Indifferent ...

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be beneficial in more ways than one if they released it with the Nex update.

1) His drops could immediately be sold at PLAYER SET prices, none of this "waiting four months for the GE to catch up" in the event of semi-rare items, or "having to junk trade for ever and ever because the GE will NEVER catch up" in the case of very rare items like sigils.

2) PKing will divert some of the attention away from people swarming Nex, making it a little less frustrating trying to get a kill.

3) Releasing both at the same time would divert attention away from the inevitable bugs present with either update.

td2sig.jpg

It would be beneficial in more ways than one if they released it with the Nex update.

1) His drops could immediately be sold at PLAYER SET prices, none of this "waiting four months for the GE to catch up" in the event of semi-rare items, or "having to junk trade for ever and ever because the GE will NEVER catch up" in the case of very rare items like sigils.

2) PKing will divert some of the attention away from people swarming Nex, making it a little less frustrating trying to get a kill.

3) Releasing both at the same time would divert attention away from the inevitable bugs present with either update.

I think that they want to do it in a whole package rather than piece by piece. This is going to be like any other large content update where they have to develop it, generate graphics for it, blue box it, and QA it. Based on other content development, it could take upwards of 2-3 months before we see it in-game. The Volcano, Clan wars arena, and other mini-games/quests take up about 20% of the entire wilderness. That is a lot of graphics and coding to re-do.

The only way I can see them speeding that up is stopping all current projects, and not having ANY updates in February. Even then people can only do so much at once as far as programing and designing.

Just don't get your hopes up for something right away. I wouldn't expect anything for a month or two after the official "confirmation". They might have already developed it knowing all along it was going to happen, and pull it out sooner. If so, it could be out right away after the vote, but I would expect on 2-3 months of development. If it's here earlier, great.

I think that they want to do it in a whole package rather than piece by piece. This is going to be like any other large content update where they have to develop it, generate graphics for it, blue box it, and QA it. Based on other content development, it could take upwards of 2-3 months before we see it in-game. The Volcano, Clan wars arena, and other mini-games/quests take up about 20% of the entire wilderness. That is a lot of graphics and coding to re-do.

The only way I can see them speeding that up is stopping all current projects, and not having ANY updates in February. Even then people can only do so much at once as far as programing and designing.

Just don't get your hopes up for something right away. I wouldn't expect anything for a month or two after the official "confirmation". They might have already developed it knowing all along it was going to happen, and pull it out sooner. If so, it could be out right away after the vote, but I would expect on 2-3 months of development. If it's here earlier, great.

They could just re-use the old graphics & boneyard.. As well as "stretching" everything back to its old size.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Mog MMG stated it will take a few days to implement.

Administrator @ PureCommunity {The one stop for all your pure needs!}

I don't mind the scamming aspect, if a child can get scammed in a game for virtual items it'll teach them a lesson for real life, and to be more cautious.

Like a child going to play a sports game, it's not about the sport, it's about learning life skills like communication & determination.

I'd strongly suspect that you don't have children. If you did, you'd appreciate the heartbreak that a child endures when his items are basically stolen from him.

As a parent, it's gut-wrenching to discover that some douchebag has scammed your child out of items he worked so hard to acquire.

This is one of the reasons I don't want "free-trade" back. Though my children are all older and wiser now there is a large population of children playing the game who will be taken advantage of by people who consider earstwhile unconscionable acts as valid game tactics, because they can hide their truly despicable nature behind a computer screen ...

nyuseg.png

I don't mind the scamming aspect, if a child can get scammed in a game for virtual items it'll teach them a lesson for real life, and to be more cautious.

Like a child going to play a sports game, it's not about the sport, it's about learning life skills like communication & determination.

I'd strongly suspect that you don't have children. If you did, you'd appreciate the heartbreak that a child endures when his items are basically stolen from him.

As a parent, it's gut-wrenching to discover that some douchebag has scammed your child out of items he worked so hard to acquire.

This is one of the reasons I don't want "free-trade" back. Though my children are all older and wiser now there is a large population of children playing the game who will be taken advantage of by people who consider earstwhile unconscionable acts as valid game tactics, because they can hide their truly despicable nature behind a computer screen ...

To play this game without parental supervision you have to be 13. (which is low already, better put the bar at 18, maybe 21).. But at the age of 13 you already go to school, and don't people play with "flippos" or something? - You'll get the same experience there. Other children will do anything to get each others flippos..

Besides: why should a game be playable by children? - Can anyone give a reason for that? Jagex keeps stateing they don't aim for children, so why should every update take them into consideration?

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Which makes it even better they learn with virtual items...plus maybe some of those 12 year olds will rage quit and never return :thumbup:

This is one of the reasons I don't want "free-trade" back. Though my children are all older and wiser now – there is a large population of children playing the game who will be taken advantage of by people who consider earstwhile unconscionable acts as valid game tactics, because they can hide their truly despicable nature behind a computer screen ...

Why should my gaming experience, or the experience of millions of other subscribers, be limited so that children can learn their lessons in more painful, tangible ways? Experience is the best teacher - for most people, it takes suffering a scam to really change the way you think. I realize how painful it can be, but isn't it much better to suffer that heartbreak and move forward with the lesson in mind, than to suffer the same heartbreak later, only with real money or belongings?

Not even a month ago, I read an article about a lady who was cheated nearly a thousand dollars on an Ebay exchange, because the seller contacted her pretending to be someone else, offering an extremely high price on the item she was considering buying. This was a common scam in Runescape, too.

I think it's better for your kids or anyone else to lose their items and suffer their heartbreak now, so that when this situation happens to them (not if but when; it's a hard world out there), they may think to themselves, "maybe there's something more to this, as it does seem too good to be true." Do you really think being ripped off this way is any less heart-wrenching?

It won't even take years. Even in schools, kids lie to each other, bad teachers lie to their students, and "friends" aren't always what they seem. Just because it doesn't happen in Runescape doesn't mean it won't happen elsewhere.

Mog MMG stated it will take a few days to implement.

He said it would take a few days to implement Wildy, staking & trade ( since they still have those saved and only need to put them back), but he said it would take "a while" to move the minigames and quests away from the Wild. Though he said they'd get the whole team working on it to do it quickly.

So i believe we are gonna get it by late January/early February. Perhaps we'll get Free trade and staking before we get Wildy back, since those wouldn't require any change and would take a few days to be 100% ready.

I just hope they move the BH crater and bring Wildy back to it's former proportions, i miss the Bone Yard and the Battle Field...

As for the scamming argument happening here: We have 2 trade screens, flashing red signs, the Wildy Wall ( that shouldn't exist IMO) and the GE will still be here. Scamming won't be NEARLY the same problem it used to be. Children that get scammed in these conditions are likely under 13, and in my opinion they shouldn't even be playing in the first place ( freaking "Quick Chat..."). Also, if your child gets scammed, you can now give him money to help him.

And hell, most veteran players i know actually laugh when they think of the first mith scimitar they got scammed off. Being scammed is a bad way of learning things, but learning things as a new player used to be the coolest part of being a newbie, and this has died ever since Jagex started completely bubble wrapping new players. Not saying anti-scamming measures are bad, just saying there is TOO MUCH protection of newbies: Make a new account and play with it for a while to see for yourself. I found the system treating me like a baby to be offensive.

Voting "No" for free trade/wild/staking over scamming alone is a bad choice. Free trade will bring A LOT of good things: Kill merch clans, kill 76k trickers, bring old RCing back ( the assyst syste just isn't the same thing...), make the Wilderness EXCITING again (used to be my favorite place when i was a newbie, even if i lost Silverlight 4 times in there), make Staking exciting and profitable again, maybe make transformation skills profitable again ( hello smithing!) whit out their reliance on the GE, bring oldschool trading back ( Varrock W1 and Fally W2 were simply beautiful things...), make the reward system of PVP stop being so problematic ( winning 1M by making the guy lose 76k doesn't work, and in it's time this system caused deflation and then inflation), bring gift giving and drop parties back...

The only problems that will come back will be RWT and bots ( and NO ONE that cares about the game wants that), but if Jagex believes they can fight them this time, why not give it a try?

R.I.P: Iron longsword i lost to those Monks of Zamorak. DAMN YOU ZAMORAK WINE!

So, you'd rather them learn this lesson in real life? Instead of with unimportant virtual items they'll get over with within a day at most?

I don't know if you realize this, but if you get scammed IRL, the consequence are usually much worse then loosing a set of rune armor in a game.

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

So, you'd rather them learn this lesson in real life? Instead of with unimportant virtual items they'll get over with within a day at most?

I don't know if you realize this, but if you get scammed IRL, the consequence are usually much worse then loosing a set of rune armor in a game.

Actually, yes, I would rather they learned it in real life. That way they will realise that actions have real consequences, and they'll be less inclined to 'scam' others themselves.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Actually, yes, I would rather they learned it in real life. That way they will realise that actions have real consequences, and they'll be less inclined to 'scam' others themselves.

Well put.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

Am I the only one having hard time to distinguish "virtual goods" from "real life goods" o.O They are both goods and I don't see the difference between a rune platebody and a coca-cola can ... they are both there to make you happy (kind'a).

Am I the only one having hard time to distinguish "virtual goods" from "real life goods" o.O They are both goods and I don't see the difference between a rune platebody and a coca-cola can ... they are both there to make you happy (kind'a).

You need to stay hydrated to survive, you don't need a rune platebody to survive!

You need to stay hydrated to survive, you don't need a rune platebody to survive!

I was talking about the secondary needs, not the primal =/

And people play games to escape from real life and its problems. They don't play video games to learn life skills.

td2sig.jpg

If we're talking about basic needs coca cola is probably farther down on the list than a rune platebody :rolleyes:

If you're emotionally invested in something because you spent time/money/effort getting it, whether it's a physical object or a "virtual" object, it can be significant to you. Some are emotionally invested in their characters and avatars, and others aren't, and neither one of those choices is inherently better than the other.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

Well put.

Thank you. smile.gif

I think that the only real distinction between real and virtual goods is that you can make perfect copies of virtual goods a potentially infinite number of times, where you can't with real ones. As such, it's actually correct to think of Runescape items as real goods for so long as you can't duplicate them.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

80% of this update is already archived. It's not like there were holes in the wilderness where the mini games are now. They just have to rebuff the returning areas up to the new graphics, and relocate the mini games. I personally think they should just put a portal somewhere, that would teleport you to them.

Almonds.png