Nex

Squisher_33

Is maul still being considered the best melee weapon for Nex?

Rapier seems pretty good to me, and that's in armadyl. I imagine a void melee setup would favour rapier more, too.

There's really no conclusive evidence either way. The problem with nex teams is that most teams that I see live and die by the void and diamond bolt method. Because of the lucritive profits of the boss, few teams are willing to waste their time experimenting other methods. I've been trying to collect some data for a while, but it's hard to find people willing to try new things and can listen to instructions properly.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is maul still being considered the best melee weapon for Nex?

Rapier seems pretty good to me, and that's in armadyl. I imagine a void melee setup would favour rapier more, too.

Rapier is better for the minis but the maul is a clear favorite on Nex.

2496 Completionist

best imo is void deflector arma/ccb + void melee/maul

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

best imo is void deflector arma/ccb + void melee/maul

This, with a few notable exceptions.

Pernix Body > Armadyl Chestplate

Divine Spirit Shield / Elysian Spirit Shield > Void Deflector

Chaotic Longsword is a fair alternative to Chaotic Maul

Might not win in DPS, but as far as saving healing, Divine/Elysian are definitely good to have, particularly if you're good at dodging attacks (which everyone who means to go Nex frequently should be). Pernix is obvious.

EDIT: Obviously this isn't fact. It's just my impressions based on personal experience and observation of other teams.

Hey, been doing a ton of Nex lately and could use some clarifications:

1. Rigour/piety vs leeches/turm. I can get a rigour scroll in a day no sweat, however, having snuck on a few Nex teams beforehand using just eagle eye and comparing it against leeches before, I didn't note too big a difference. At least with leech defense seems the whole team enjoys the 25% drop in defense, which is pretty easy to get when keeping the prayer on all the time. Is rigour leaps and bounds above that?

2. Spec vs Ely vs deflector. I really can't stand conquest, played a game and it already felt sucked out of any real tactical ability. I've used Elysian, and it is better than a spectral in the area of saving a couple more brews. On the other hand, it's a difference of about 600m which I could do with putting into flips/investing and make money for the BEST shield, Divine. So efficiently, which would be best to stick with?

3. If I could get a hold of full pernix+spectral, would that be superior to Divine+elite void/Divine+elite void+arma top+deflector?

Any help would be much appreciated.

pernix legs is about as good as ely

pernix body is better than divine

divine is VERY slightly better than ely

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

ohaider prod nexers... I hate(no actually, i dont) to ask, but could i potentially try out nex with some of you guys at some point? been dying to try, and i have reasonable stats(max cmb), void, ability to get full arma+spectral. NO divine/ely as i lost them ely via being nice to a friend -.- <_< I also have rapier+maul.

meamzed.png

1. Rigour/piety vs leeches/turm. I can get a rigour scroll in a day no sweat, however, having snuck on a few Nex teams beforehand using just eagle eye and comparing it against leeches before, I didn't note too big a difference. At least with leech defense seems the whole team enjoys the 25% drop in defense, which is pretty easy to get when keeping the prayer on all the time. Is rigour leaps and bounds above that?

2. Spec vs Ely vs deflector. I really can't stand conquest, played a game and it already felt sucked out of any real tactical ability. I've used Elysian, and it is better than a spectral in the area of saving a couple more brews. On the other hand, it's a difference of about 600m which I could do with putting into flips/investing and make money for the BEST shield, Divine. So efficiently, which would be best to stick with?

3. If I could get a hold of full pernix+spectral, would that be superior to Divine+elite void/Divine+elite void+arma top+deflector?

1) The general consensus is that Nex's defense resets after every phase. Statius Warhammer seems effective, but only until the next mage dies. From that perspective, and the fact that no form should really be lasting extremely long, leech prayers aren't so useful. You can expect a 10-15% defense drop, but never as drastic as 25%. That being said, your choices are essentially 20% Range (accuracy and damage), 20% Attack, and 23% Strength, as compared to 5% Range, 29% Attack, 32.9% Strength, and a 10% defense drop for the phases where you're ranging.

Rigour improves your range damage output significantly - there's really no doubt about that. The question is whether it's worth giving up the additional strength (hence more frequent 500 hits), additional accuracy with melee, soul split, and the defense drop. I really think having one person leeching per team is a decent idea based on what we know right now. Turmoil is probably comparable to Rigour if you're focusing on melee.

2) IMO, Spectral is a waste. Magic defense has very little benefit besides shifting the target from you to someone else. If you're not going to use Divine, Elysian, or Deflector, your best choice is probably EEKS. After that, just use whatever you feel like. Unholy Book, Blessed Spirit Shield, Wooden Shield.

3) Again, no reason for Spectral really. Full Pernix is definitely better than Divine defensively. I don't know if Pernix body beats out Divine like Ancient believes, but it's definitely at least comparable (20% healing versus 30% damage reduction at the cost of prayer, but doesn't affect special attacks). Your best options, factoring Pernix, are probably Full Pernix + Divine/Elysian or Elite Void + Pernix Top + Deflector.

I don't know about you guys, but when I brought maul with full Arma and tried to use it on blood, I hit about 9/10 0s and ended up switching back to ranged, which didn't do poorly at all. Ranged seems to do a LOT better if you have full Arma bringing down your melee accuracy. I would only bother with non-claws melee weapons if you're void hybridding or using Karil's.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

So if you have full pernix+divine, you are god? :ohnoes:

Anyways, I have a farseer kite, and currently about 100k tokens. If I choose to top it up to 200k, which chaotic should I choose if I :

want to casually kill Nex,

do not PK (at least, not with chaotics),

and do not train (slayer) to the point that a rapier would be a good investment.

Don't want a cls; it boils down to rapier, maul or ccbow.

Looking good with full elite diary armour is a bonus.

So if you have full pernix+divine, you are god? :ohnoes:

Yes. Oh man I can't wait until I can afford Pernix and Torva.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Is the eagle-eye shield worth getting? Together with the Armadyl armour the soakage (ha) is over 30%. Will I see a noticeable difference?

Nex'es mage max is only around 30-40, so soak doesn't help much or at all. EEK's is about as good as spec for nex, but ely/spec are obviously better.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

So it doesn't really absorb 60 hp out of 200 damage? Was always wondering.

It absorbs X% of the hit - 200, where X is your soak %. So if you have 20 soak and get hit a 300, you soak 20% of (300-200) which is 20, and end up getting hit 280 instead of 300.

It's pretty useless.

1) The general consensus is that Nex's defense resets after every phase. Statius Warhammer seems effective, but only until the next mage dies. From that perspective, and the fact that no form should really be lasting extremely long, leech prayers aren't so useful. You can expect a 10-15% defense drop, but never as drastic as 25%. That being said, your choices are essentially 20% Range (accuracy and damage), 20% Attack, and 23% Strength, as compared to 5% Range, 29% Attack, 32.9% Strength, and a 10% defense drop for the phases where you're ranging.

Rigour improves your range damage output significantly - there's really no doubt about that. The question is whether it's worth giving up the additional strength (hence more frequent 500 hits), additional accuracy with melee, soul split, and the defense drop. I really think having one person leeching per team is a decent idea based on what we know right now. Turmoil is probably comparable to Rigour if you're focusing on melee.

2) IMO, Spectral is a waste. Magic defense has very little benefit besides shifting the target from you to someone else. If you're not going to use Divine, Elysian, or Deflector, your best choice is probably EEKS. After that, just use whatever you feel like. Unholy Book, Blessed Spirit Shield, Wooden Shield.

3) Again, no reason for Spectral really. Full Pernix is definitely better than Divine defensively. I don't know if Pernix body beats out Divine like Ancient believes, but it's definitely at least comparable (20% healing versus 30% damage reduction at the cost of prayer, but doesn't affect special attacks). Your best options, factoring Pernix, are probably Full Pernix + Divine/Elysian or Elite Void + Pernix Top + Deflector.

Alright, thanks man. Guess I have my work cut out for me.

Pretty much ALL soak is useless. In the 2 months I have been playing,I've only noticed soak happening once. That was at barrows, fighting dharok, withoutr prayer. I've been dking pretty much once every day and again I havn't even seen it happen

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

Pretty much ALL soak is useless. In the 2 months I have been playing,I've only noticed soak happening once. That was at barrows, fighting dharok, withoutr prayer. I've been dking pretty much once every day and again I havn't even seen it happen

It's decent at Corp and PvP, but yeah, besides that it's useless.

Rapier works fine on nex if you use a dragon defender and void, most people find rapier missing a lot because they are still using a shield on offhand slot.

From my experience rapier does good melee damage on blood phase with void and defender with decent accuracy.

This is a good point- it's not really fair to compare rapier/cls to maul without including a defender.

Rapier works fine on nex if you use a dragon defender and void, most people find rapier missing a lot because they are still using a shield on offhand slot.

From my experience rapier does good melee damage on blood phase with void and defender with decent accuracy.

This is a good point- it's not really fair to compare rapier/cls to maul without including a defender.

What about comparing it to void with deflector/barrow gloves or just having an elysian/divine?

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Ive lurked these forums for too long, but here is what i just got, on my third ever nex kill, in a 10 man team. (was far too excited to actually screenie the drop)

110301173151.png

dunno how to zoom/crop, but thats pernix cowl

you know ive been thinking lately

we all want to try void, or karils, and we do good dmg but we get wrecked every time

well since stokenuts trio vid, ive thought, why not just bring armor switches?

honestly its 1-3 inventory spaces out of your 58, and youll do considerable more damage while having more def

i dont see the problem with bringing bcp + tasset + net helm, while wielding pernix cowl + arma top and bottom

you loose 3 inv spots but youll do way mroe dng and have way more def than void

immagine claw speccing + meleeing smoke + meleeing blood in full bandos, while still having a stacked range setup for the other forms without having to worry about negative attack bonuses

i mean seriosuly 2 out of 58 inventory spaces would make a big differance in how smoothly your hybridding goes if your whole team did it

also if you go void + deflector + arma top, and bring top + melee helm for meleeing, your still loosing 2 inventory spots on switch gear so why not just bring bandos or something for those 2 spots

melee def also can make a diff on some forms, where mage def doesnt mean alot

a_final_name.png