12-Apr-2011- Clan Camp, Support and Web Pages

DarkDude

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but for those not interested in clans this update can still be quite fun. All you need is to find some people to found a clan with you, and then kick them all out once it has been founded. Sure it's a bit mean but you then get a clan cape which can be personalised. This update brings with it 'personalised capes' everyones always wanted ... just in disguise.

2eprbpj.png

Well, what should they be focusing those resources on then? I mean, give me specifics. What kind of updates would enhance RuneScape in your opinion, if not support for the clan community?

1) Number one would be quests. Some people might not like them, but they are overwhelmingly popular.

As much as I love quests, one a month is fine. Quality, not quantity. The balance in that respect for quests is perfectly fine.

2) Skill rebalancing. Not saying which ones, but it could be done across the board.

Skills, by their varied natures, don't really 'do' 'across the board' approaches. It's more of a case of a select few neglected skills, and I'll name them for you: Firemaking, Smithing, Fletching and Thieving. And it's the rewards that need the attention, not the training.

3) F2p content. While I don't think F2P deserves a lot of content, I think it needs something new to bring in different players.

Eh, nah. Unless you've got something specific in mind that's seriously limiting the enjoyment of f2pers, that's not really necessary. Unless you're talking about graphics, which would be awesome.

4) Mechanics. Let's be honest, RS uses the same mechanics for just about everything. Whether it be degrading or only the best stuff being monster drops.

Oh yeah, you're definitely right about that. There needs to be more skill based major rewards, and variety in those rewards. See 2).

5) Finding a way to take some of the grind out of current content as well as new content. Livid Farm is an example of backlash against grinding.

Didn't really work though, did it? Still, at least it has nice rewards, but it was for some skills that weren't really in need.

And while not a number, I think one of the biggest is the fact that they need to streamline and rework a lot of their code. So much of it is contradictory of so much else because of the way the game was built from the ground-up. So many little updates that have giant ripples to content that has nothing to do with it. Their code needs a serious overhaul.

You mean an Engine upgrade? They're doing that as we speak.

Comments in bold. Basically, I agree with some, but not others. I can't really support the idea that this update was pointless though, I think this was necessary. It's just not that exciting. Updates that rely on emergent gameplay never really are until later on, I say give it time.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

[hide]

1) Number one would be quests. Some people might not like them, but they are overwhelmingly popular.

So are clans. Just because you are ignorant of them, does not make them disappear.

2) Skill rebalancing. Not saying which ones, but it could be done across the board.

One project released that isn't skill related does not mean they've given up on such things altogether.

3) F2p content. While I don't think F2P deserves a lot of content, I think it needs something new to bring in different players.

You just said that F2P doesn't deserve a lot of content. So why should f2p updates precede anything else? Shouldn't it instead be small, gradual things over time...which it has?

4) Mechanics. Let's be honest, RS uses the same mechanics for just about everything. Whether it be degrading or only the best stuff being monster drops.

They offered a TON of these updates not even a few weeks ago.

5) Finding a way to take some of the grind out of current content as well as new content. Livid Farm is an example of backlash against grinding.

And again another ongoing project.

And while not a number, I think one of the biggest is the fact that they need to streamline and rework a lot of their code. So much of it is contradictory of so much else because of the way the game was built from the ground-up. So many little updates that have giant ripples to content that has nothing to do with it. Their code needs a serious overhaul.

Runtek 5, anyone?

[/hide]

A lot of your thoughts on what they 'should' put their resources into already are being done. Lordy, there was one update that didn't appeal to you and suddenly they're a failure of a business wasting development time when there's clearly a need for content just like this. I find it hard to take such an argument seriously when it's so shortsighted.

hzvjpwS.gif

1) I think quests are much more popular the clans. I also think it's a better use of resources. Yes, I dislike clans. However my judgement on this update was about how much they put into the update vs. how much they'll get out of it.

2) I think skills could use better fine tuning and some need major overhauls.

3) Think of it this way, if you played f2p 3-4 years ago and played it today, it's pretty much exactly the same. All the graphical and combat updates in the world won't get back old player or bring in new players if they feel like they played it before.

4) Which was that? More degrading Nex Armor dopped by only the highest leveled creatures? That's original... :rolleyes:

5) Again, why I said what they should be doing. I know they are. I'm glad they're doing it.

6) No, not quite an engine update. The code needs serious reworking. Old code needs to be removed. It needs streamlining. Too much code affects other code that have nothing to do with each other. It's like the update the sewer rat and someone you can't use your house portals.

-edit- Kimberly: Nowhere in my post about what they should be doing did I say they weren't doing those things. I was giving my opinion that those are the things they should be doing. Some they are, some they aren't. Jagex isn't a completely imcompetent company nor am I trying to imply they are.

@The new Highscores....The pages...it's over 90000...

I don't like the sound of these capes...i wanted them other capes they were talking about :(

EAVnEYl.png

Visit my blog! Click the madness for more madness!

I don't even...

After briefly scanning the update, my head is really hurting.

How odd. The update made me pain so badly I grew a set of testes and then had to chop them off because it's so bad. :rolleyes:

-edit- Mods, please note the above use does not in any way imply something of a sexual nature. That is a proper medical term and should be recognized as such.

My only complaint with this update is that you can no longer bookmark your high scores (which means the forum links to high scores are also broken).

New high score URL: http://services.runescape.com/m=hiscore/compare.ws?user1=Kafei%20Nation

The rest of it doesn't apply to me and will never apply to me. :yawn:

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

I was giving my opinion that those are the things they should be doing. Some they are, some they aren't. Jagex isn't a completely imcompetent company nor am I trying to imply they are.

Yet you're implying this update has no purpose, when that's quite clearly not the case. What are you saying then, if not that they're incompetent by releasing content that you feel has no use?

hzvjpwS.gif

I was giving my opinion that those are the things they should be doing. Some they are, some they aren't. Jagex isn't a completely imcompetent company nor am I trying to imply they are.

Yet you're implying this update has no purpose, when that's quite clearly not the case. What are you saying then, if not that they're incompetent by releasing content that you feel has no use?

No, I am implying the the benefit of the update does not justify the amount of resources that were put into it. It has a purpose, just one that won't be used that much. And yes, they are a bit imcompetent, but not completely imcompetent.

If you're not going to read what I write and keep seeing what you want to see, I don't see why I should bother with you.

no multi-clanning :thumbdown:

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

No, I am implying the the benefit of the update does not justify the amount of resources that were put into it. It has a purpose, just one that won't be used that much. And yes, they are a bit imcompetent, but not completely imcompetent.

If you're not going to read what I write and keep seeing what you want to see, I don't see why I should bother with you.

I guess you won't be able to see the benefit unless you can get past the fact that you don't like clans. Because the benefit is clearly there, and it most certainly warranted a spot as the week's update. As does future clan support updates, after years of being woefully overlooked.

I guess it's just something we'll never see eye to eye on, and that's okay I suppose :P

hzvjpwS.gif

I guess you won't be able to see the benefit unless you can get past the fact that you don't like clans. Because the benefit is clearly there, and it most certainly warranted a spot as the week's update. As does future clan support updates, after years of being woefully overlooked.

I guess it's just something we'll never see eye to eye on, and that's okay I suppose :P

I can get past the fact I don't like to clan. I am simply of the opinion that Jagex overestimates the importance of clans to their game and that all the fuss they give them is detrimental instead of beneficial.

I can get past the fact I don't like to clan. I am simply of the opinion that Jagex overestimates the importance of clans to their game and that all the fuss they give them is detrimental instead of beneficial.

Clans give users a reason to play as much as quest schedule releases or skill reworks do. Keeping players playing is important. That makes clan updates as important as anything else. I don't understand how you can say this update was detrimental. Just how exactly does this update hurt your gameplay? I'll eat my shoe if you can give me a valid reason, I will.

hzvjpwS.gif

Clans give users a reason to play as much as quest schedule releases or skill reworks do. Keeping players playing is important. That makes clan updates as important as anything else. I don't understand how you can say this update was detrimental. Just how exactly does this update hurt your gameplay? I'll eat my shoe if you can give me a valid reason, I will.

I think giving more attention to clans than they should uses up finite resources that Jagex has that I think should use used in other ways. That's simply my opinion on the matter.

Are one of the admins going to make a Tip.It clan :grin: Cus thats the only clan i would join

I'd be willing to if it hasn't been done already. I'll see if any staff are up for making one.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Why oh why must everyone be on at once to form a clan? Does this cement those original founders in a specific position?

Anti-flood measure. The only way for cheaters to register a clan for the fancy clan cape is through multi-logging. Not like it'll stop the serious ones since there's at least one client that's coded in multilogging, but it will slow down the greedy lemming types.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats