Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Evolution of Combat: BETA discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2934 replies to this topic

Ambler
[ Display Name History ]

Ambler

Black Knight Trainer

• Monster Hunting Team
  • 3,453 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Ambler3
  • RSN2:Joe Tiko
  • Clan:EoE.... Sometimes.
Got 99 summoning in the beta, using the taverly method. 92-99 took about 3 hours.
Kinda miss being rich in the real rs. :lol:

Posted Image
^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^
My livestream- Currently: Offline :(
Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

Lewtations

Platinum_Myr
[ Display Name History ]

Platinum_Myr

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • RSN:Serena Sedai
  • RSN2:Fyora Serena
  • Clan:The Knighted Angels
Now tell us how steel titan fairs considering the whole game is multicombat!

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Quyneax
[ Display Name History ]

Quyneax

Aes Sedai

• Members
  • 11,297 posts
  • RSN:Mierin

Now tell us how steel titan fairs considering the whole game is multicombat!

It's good at Nex and soul split heals you from titan specs, apparently.

How are Morrigan's javelins faring? In the normal game they are +105/+145 (as opposed to +120/+125 for ccbow+bak bolts) making them generally better dps apart from the effects (and maybe range is an issue).
Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions
99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)
99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)
99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)
99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)
99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)
Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring
Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace
30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Ambler
[ Display Name History ]

Ambler

Black Knight Trainer

• Monster Hunting Team
  • 3,453 posts
  • RSN:Ambler3
  • RSN2:Joe Tiko
  • Clan:EoE.... Sometimes.
Titan damage is healed via soul split, hope this stays, and it makes unicorns obsolete, as the extra dps is amazing aswell. :lol:

Posted Image
^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^
My livestream- Currently: Offline :(
Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

Lewtations

Miss Lioness
[ Display Name History ]

Miss Lioness

the Pyromaniac

• Senior Moderator
  • 2,491 posts
  • RSN:Miss Lioness
  • Clan:Efficiency Experts
I have one problem tho with multi-combat and then Frost Dragons in general...

If you use cannons and they have that blue orb out. No matter which dragon has it out. YOU still get that damage =d...

Opposed to the live game the cannon just hits 0's...

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help[left]. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• Monster Hunting Team Leader
  • 7,789 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
If you notice a problem, do the right thing and report it. Don't just complain.

Z_Berenice
[ Display Name History ]

Z_Berenice

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 348 posts
  • RSN:ZBeren
Meanwhile, at C9 Open Beta (that started the day after RS Combat Beta):

Kind of funny, rs is fun because of its simplicity and how "advanced" (graphic wise) it is for a browser game. That alone kept rs on a whole different level that discarded most comparisons. But now they want to enter the more dynamic, action based market of mmos... I hope they know what they are getting into...

Posted Image

Cheefoo
[ Display Name History ]

Cheefoo

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,811 posts
  • RSN:Cheefoo
  • Clan:HYT

Kind of funny, rs is fun because of it's simplicity and how "advanced" (graphic wise) it was for a browser game. That alone kept rs on a whole different level that discarded most comparisons. But now they want to enter the more dynamic, action based market of mmos... I hope they know what they are getting into...

The thing is, Runescape isn't some generic combat-centric MMO. Combat is one of the many facets of the Runescape experience.
Posted Image
I LOVE MY STATION

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101
00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

Z_Berenice
[ Display Name History ]

Z_Berenice

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 348 posts
  • RSN:ZBeren

Kind of funny, rs is fun because of it's simplicity and how "advanced" (graphic wise) it was for a browser game. That alone kept rs on a whole different level that discarded most comparisons. But now they want to enter the more dynamic, action based market of mmos... I hope they know what they are getting into...

The thing is, Runescape isn't some generic combat-centric MMO. Combat is one of the many facets of the Runescape experience.

Exactly. However, they are now adding a new combat system that's following the pattern of combat-centric mmos... Personally, I think target locked/based mmos are starting to become a thing of the past, which is kind of sad, considering now that this path is being abandoned, runescape decides to jump on the last bandwagon.

Always found it curious how people claimed some sort of "skill" or being "good" at playing target locked/based mmos, but that's another story lol.

Posted Image

Platinum_Myr
[ Display Name History ]

Platinum_Myr

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • RSN:Serena Sedai
  • RSN2:Fyora Serena
  • Clan:The Knighted Angels
I hope they know what they're getting into. And understand the feedback we have this time. A lot of their ideas have promise if they work. Multi-combat everywhere is excellent since it means unicorns/cannon and AOE abilities work everywhere. However, it has to be balanced against the fact that many monsters can do damage. Considering that prayer isn't 100% negation at the moment that makes it even worse. They have a lot to do with the interfaces, stat bonuses, and clarity of what weapons actually do.. before I think a lot of us will be happy.

I really hope they tone down the ability rate. Its hard to focus on it all...

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

DavidHoff
[ Display Name History ]

DavidHoff

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 2 posts

I hope they know what they're getting into. And understand the feedback we have this time. A lot of their ideas have promise if they work. Multi-combat everywhere is excellent since it means unicorns/cannon and AOE abilities work everywhere. However, it has to be balanced against the fact that many monsters can do damage. Considering that prayer isn't 100% negation at the moment that makes it even worse. They have a lot to do with the interfaces, stat bonuses, and clarity of what weapons actually do.. before I think a lot of us will be happy.

All of the above are true (perhaps) when you look at it from your perspective.

Now look at it from mine:

I'm next to you.

I'm slaying.

Before I kill my first mob but after I've attacked it, you come out with an MC or and AOE and take the kill. I'll say it's inadvetent. It happens again, and again, and again and ... like I said. See it from my perspective. Even innocently you can have a negative affect on my game. If you're not innocent you can just ruin it. One player on every world doing that in just one spot will cause a lot of bad feeling and more and ... nothing will be done about it apart from the person who should be punished is probably (in effect) being rewarded for their antisocial behaviour by being the one that gets the kills, the drops, has 'fun' etc.

'nuff said.

decebal
[ Display Name History ]

decebal

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,315 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Decebalus6
I agree, nothing feels worse than killing that one creature and then some dude decides to spoil the fun by getting the killing blow.

However, if Jagex can implement a tapping mechanic, where the first person or group to hit the target gets the "killing blow" xp and the loot, this shouldn't be a problem.

Then again, Jagex never said anything about a tapping mechanic.

Posted Image

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• Monster Hunting Team Leader
  • 7,789 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

I'm next to you.

I'm slaying.

Before I kill my first mob but after I've attacked it, you come out with an MC or and AOE and take the kill. I'll say it's inadvetent. It happens again, and again, and again and ... like I said. See it from my perspective. Even innocently you can have a negative affect on my game. If you're not innocent you can just ruin it. One player on every world doing that in just one spot will cause a lot of bad feeling and more and ... nothing will be done about it apart from the person who should be punished is probably (in effect) being rewarded for their antisocial behaviour by being the one that gets the kills, the drops, has 'fun' etc.

'nuff said.

If you slay properly, that shouldn't be an issue. None of Kuradal's tasks can support more than one person.

Vezon Dash
[ Display Name History ]

Vezon Dash

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,276 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
Personally, I think you can have 2 at Hellhounds.

ghjkl
[ Display Name History ]

ghjkl

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,226 posts
no at hellhounds the spawns are too slow, like 1/3 of the time the cannon isn't even firing and most of the time i dont even bother with titan because its a pain, and because it adds little benefit

Vezon Dash
[ Display Name History ]

Vezon Dash

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,276 posts

no at hellhounds the spawns are too slow, like 1/3 of the time the cannon isn't even firing and most of the time i dont even bother with titan because its a pain, and because it adds little benefit

I was unaware that you could use a cannon in Kurdal's dungeon?

EDIT: I thought Mere was referring to tasks within Kurdal's dungeon.

Ammako
[ Display Name History ]

Ammako

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,541 posts

A majority of the people 'testing' the beta are just abusing a bug to get rares.

That's hardly a bug, considering it was meant to be that way.

And if you're talking of some other "bug" other than re-importing save data each time, the JMods did ask us to bug the heck out of the Beta so that glitches could be fixed.

steviej
[ Display Name History ]

steviej

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • RSN:Steviej

I'm next to you.

I'm slaying.

'nuff said.

If you slay properly, that shouldn't be an issue. None of Kuradal's tasks can support more than one person.

Not to mention that the world has gotten so big that you can pretty much get a spot alone if you're smart about it. I go to 1500 skill level worlds when i need a resource or area for a lower level skill, since the area is usually open. I go to crowded trading worlds for combat, since npcs spawn quicker, and everyone on the server is at the GE so I usually get areas to myself.

As far as not using the slayer dungeon, i definitely get that. I'm not an efficient player anymore. It's just not fun if I can't sit back and relax while I casually train after all these years. But you're right that sharing areas isn't a problem like it used to be years ago.

Anyway, It's good to hear that the beta is open to all members next weekend (allegedly...I haven't read any official news about this). I would like to test this out, as I have never been good at games that are very keyboard intensive. That has always been one of the great things about RS. There is not a ton of button mashing.

My account spent most of the last 10 months "locked"

Saradomin_Mage
[ Display Name History ]

Saradomin_Mage

The Two and Only

• Members
  • 7,273 posts

I agree, nothing feels worse than killing that one creature and then some dude decides to spoil the fun by getting the killing blow.

However, if Jagex can implement a tapping mechanic, where the first person or group to hit the target gets the "killing blow" xp and the loot, this shouldn't be a problem.

Then again, Jagex never said anything about a tapping mechanic.

Apparently they did add some form of tapping mechanic, I'm just not sure if it actually works.

We do have anti-killstealing mechanics in place; when you're the first player to attack a monster (which isn't a boss and isn't your cannon hitting) you should get the exp and drops, so someone attempting to kill steal's helping you rather than potentially stealing 50 or 100% of your combat/slayer exp and the drop as is the case in live multicombat now.

This is also why the NPCs essentially reset after approximately 10 seconds out of combat.

QFC: 300-301-319-63832329

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Fire_God
[ Display Name History ]

Fire_God

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 202 posts
  • RSN:Fire God

I'm next to you.

I'm slaying.

'nuff said.

Unless they changed something recently, the system that has been in place since 2005 is if multiple people are killing the same monster, the person who does the most damage gets the drop/slayer xp and the person who does the final blow gets slayer xp (ignore coin/loot share). They implemented this system shortly after slayer first came out because all the multi combat spots were full of people and a popular griefer strategy was to wait until a monster was low on hp and finish it for the xp, denying it to the person who spent the time/resources killing it.

Trying is just the first step in failure.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users