03-Jul-2013 - Vorago: High-Level Boss Fight

I had a thought for phase 4. The minions are a replica of you as you leave the waterfall. Why not unequip your weapons/sheild after the waterfall until you run back to Vorago so that they spawn weapon/shieldless?

09144a99bb.png

You don't take a lot of damage on the final stage, as dpser. I was soulsplitting with superior vampirism and not losing health until the tanks died and bombs started falling amongst the melee lines.

I would like to note that my idea of the KK requiring a line of pikes protecting a line of rangers is nearly what happens at Vorago.

I remember your post about that and I find it a lovely thing to add to the combat system!

Now with the Battle of Lumbridge coming soon, wouldn't it just be awesome to have actual armies in ranks, impenetrable because of the use of spears and shields, causing your troops to attack from the flanks? :P

I wish so much that they could do this... But let's face it. It's not going to be anything like that. Hell most of the battles - ie. Whiterun - on Skyrim are meant to be big, grand and epic, considering that the Imperials and Stormcloaks are massive in terms of numbers (or so we're led to believe) - whereas the reality is there's a couple of wooden barricades that take 2 hits to down and about 25 or so soldiers you have to kill. Don't forget Bethesda have much better graphics, artists, coders, and the like. Hell, not even Ubisoft with AC3's new Anvil Next engine managed to make a "playable" army battlefield just yet.

With Jagex I think it's going to be a watered down version of the RotM battle, because don't forget, everyone's got to be able to do it. Or then again... A conquest like scenario where we move groups of troops etc? Anyways It'll be a few rounds of monsters or whatever considering who's trying to take it, and perhaps we'll end up with Skyrim like maps on tables in throne rooms etc in order for us to assess the sway of power.

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

Skyrim has the ability to handle larger battles - Bethesda had to scale it back so that the game would run on consoles. My sieges and miscellaneous civil war battles have over a hundred participants ;p

Asmodean <3

Don't forget Bethesda have much better graphics, artists, coders, and the like.

Aha...ahah...ahahahahahhahaha

[hide=Bethesda's Brilliant Coding]

mLZXTcP.gif

aMwuVei.gif

qfro4kj.gif

[/hide]

Quite frankly it's not fair to say that x is better than Jagex, they've got entirely different budgets for development.

• Like 6

hzvjpwS.gif

It's hard to avoid a few glitches like that though, especially considering the scope of the game. I don't think it's a fair representation of Coder's competency over a few subtle programming glitches.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

It's hard to avoid a few glitches like that though, especially considering the scope of the game. I don't think it's a fair representation of Coder's competency over a few subtle programming glitches.

Those are only a few examples from two of my favorite YTers, and not even all of them. Bethesda has been well known for their buggy games. These are just a sample of the funny ones - there's waaaaaay too many game-breaking glitches to even begin to list in games like Oblivion, Fallout 3, FO:NV (though Obsidian did their best), and Skyrim. You can probably dig through the UESP for more information.

Thing is when you're comparing Jagex to another game company, as flimsy as the comparison is on its own, you should probably not choose a game company known for its bugginess and game-breaking glitches. (No offense Ezk!)

hzvjpwS.gif

And budget has a huge impact on things. as a software developer I have definitely had my share of "wont fix" bugs simply because there wasn't time or budget and it wasn't deemed critical... let alone if I knew how to fix it...

and you really cannot compare a validation team of a small company to one of a large company, as it is not an easy task at alll.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Bethesda get a bad rep for buggy games as they generally have several times as many sales as other devs (meaning several times as many reports of bugs.)

The overall % of people affected by game breaking bugs is probably just as low as any other developer. I mean even if tens of thousands of people suffered from game breaking bugs from Skyrim, that would make Skyrim one of the least buggy games (or pieces of software generally) in existence when you consider how many units they sold.

Obsidian are far better known for having buggy releases which affect a much larger % of people.

Asmodean <3

Skyrim has the ability to handle larger battles - Bethesda had to scale it back so that the game would run on consoles. My sieges and miscellaneous civil war battles have over a hundred participants ;p

Only a hundred? Computers over 5 years old will run 200+ people battles in M&B - I imagine high-end machines get 400+ easy :P. The wiki says unofficial servers have supported 222 players on multiplayer as well :D.

Anyway, Runescape npcs are much lighter to run than Skyrim I'm pretty sure - looking at places like the gnome battlefield, you can easily get a real battlefield. I just hope barrage will be a real option then, a large battle seems so useless if you can't use multi-target spells :/.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Think I managed to get a better picture:

ZQL0q6N.jpg

Sadly it wasn't me, but the potential kill after that one I almost had him with the maul.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Normal monsters are what you need defence for to make farming sustainable and profitable. Offence matters little because everything dies in a few hits anyway. Bosses are all about dps and killing them before you waste half your consumables in a single kill, and you're going to take a ton of damage regardless so defence is less important.

No.

Camping is sustainable because of soul split. It is profitable because prayer is cheap.

*facepalm* Soul Split is defensive, not offensive.
Offence matters a lot because that's exactly what you need to kill 'everything'.
Have you played this game after EoC? They still haven't updated tons of monsters. You don't need drygores to 2-hit stuff.

So basically, you fall under what I posted before: Review your setups :P.

How about *you* do your research.

^ Just because you can 2 hit alot of stuff with lower weapons doesn't discount the need for offence, seeing as where stats *really* matter you won't be 2 hitting anything.

Also soul split isn't exactly defensive - if you use it in a defensive setup its highly uneffective as it's benefit comes entirely from your offensive output.

The more berseker you go with pour out damage the more soulsplit benefits you, it is directly tied to offence.

• Like 2

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

If by defensive you mean keeping you alive, then yes, its defensive, but it's one where it would benefit you more if you went offensive rather than defensive.

Reason?

A dual wield set up will do at the very very least, 50% extra damage compared to one with shield (the dps change will probably be closer to 100% increase, due to the increased number of offensive abilities that are available AND the ones you are using). So by that estimate, you will need to take at least 50% more damage from your for tanking to be more usable for survivability. I am not aware of any fight that is the case.

If the SS healing completely cancels out the damage taken, then obviously the Dual wield will win, because he/she will kill 33% more bosses in the same time the Sword and Board will kill.

Hence, Offensive setups, as it stands, is superior to any defensive setup, SS, ironically for defensive prayer, actually helps offensive hold that position

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

You don't take a lot of damage on the final stage, as dpser. I was soulsplitting with superior vampirism and not losing health until the tanks died and bombs started falling amongst the melee lines.

I would like to note that my idea of the KK requiring a line of pikes protecting a line of rangers is nearly what happens at Vorago.

I remember your post about that and I find it a lovely thing to add to the combat system!

Now with the Battle of Lumbridge coming soon, wouldn't it just be awesome to have actual armies in ranks, impenetrable because of the use of spears and shields, causing your troops to attack from the flanks? :P

I wish so much that they could do this... But let's face it. It's not going to be anything like that. Hell most of the battles - ie. Whiterun - on Skyrim are meant to be big, grand and epic, considering that the Imperials and Stormcloaks are massive in terms of numbers (or so we're led to believe) - whereas the reality is there's a couple of wooden barricades that take 2 hits to down and about 25 or so soldiers you have to kill. Don't forget Bethesda have much better graphics, artists, coders, and the like. Hell, not even Ubisoft with AC3's new Anvil Next engine managed to make a "playable" army battlefield just yet.

With Jagex I think it's going to be a watered down version of the RotM battle, because don't forget, everyone's got to be able to do it. Or then again... A conquest like scenario where we move groups of troops etc? Anyways It'll be a few rounds of monsters or whatever considering who's trying to take it, and perhaps we'll end up with Skyrim like maps on tables in throne rooms etc in order for us to assess the sway of power.

Ever seen the Total War games? :D

• Like 4

Ever seen the Total War games? :D

Total War series do allow large scale battles, but you do not have individual units (as in, you cannot control individual units).

Which is a big letdown; but that allows to have a real 3D world instead of a pseudo 3D OR isometric.

As a long time RTS fan, I am familiar with games that have MP games where 2k units / player are the norm (typical games are 1v1, 2v2 or 8 player FFA). And yes, you can control individual units.

The downside is that ever since I played that series (and a spin-off series), every other RTS only qualifies as just some tactical village wars with no long-term strategy implications. But since I saw 'Blitzkrieg', which is a 100% pure RTT (real time tactics) game classified as RTS, I do understand why those games are classed as RTS as well.

And due to various limitations imposed in TW series, I could rename it to "Town Wars" at best. Not Total War.

savormix.gif
R.I.P. oO000oO0oO00, RS2 range pure transformed to a maxed PvM char in EoC, ten years of time completely wasted.
Good to be gone :)

Still, I would love to see some phalanxes or testudo-formations in RuneScape. :P

Also worth noting: it seems Total War is trying to give the battle unit's persons a bigger impact with Rome 2. But I agree, Total War is a semi turned based, semi real time strategie game. :)

Friend got wand. :D.

3w6fc.png

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

OH COME ON AS SOON AS I LEAVE

best drops (reasonably accurate/up to date): 1x Elysian Sigil (LS), 1x Arcane Sigil (cs), 4x Armadyl Hilt (solo at 100m, 100m, 50m, and 5m), 2x Saradomin Hilt (solo at 25m), 5x Draconic Visage (34m,1.2m,1.2m) and various cs/ls/ffa Nex splits.
Drygore Drops: 7 Longswords, 3 Maces, 3 Rapiers, 3 Off-hand Rapiers,  5 Off-hand Maces, 3 Off-hand Longswords

ROTS Shields: 12  Seismics: 16

Ascension Crossbows: 6  Spider Legs: 10

Countless Armadyl armour pieces, Saradomin amulets, Dragon Hatchets, and Fremenik Rings.
Range~Herblore~Construction~Constitution~Defence~Farming~Magic~Attack~Prayer~Strength~Summoning~Slayer~Mining~Dungeoneering~Firemaking~Agility~Magic Mastery~Summoning Mastery~Cooking~Smithing~Fletching~Thieving~Hunter~Woodcutting~Fishing~Runecrafting

So I know pretty much maxed players kill Vorago, but how would a mid high level player fair with Vorago? And how good/bad a public matches?

29386_s.gif

"Goals dont have a deadline." -xxxgod quoting Lady Shahdie

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

You need a unicorn or a pack yak, especially if you don't have ports armor. You'll struggle but you'll probably be fine. You will be a liability on the 5th stage though. This assumes you know exactly what you're doing.

Am I the only one disappointed by the drops from vorago? The dusts are floating around 1-1.5m and the rest is rubbish - even if you manage to get them.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png