11-Dec-2012 - Player-Owned Ports

chenw

The patch to Random Event rewards is somewhat annoying. It insisted on giving me Fortunes of the Sea, Captain Reroll and Crew Reroll, all of which I had maxed, even though I had other options free like the Seasinger's Bottled Cry.

Fair enough for stopping people from stacking adventurer and voyage rerolls, but I'd like something at least somewhat useful given the rarity of random events. Unless something better than the 10k captain is confirmed, I really don't need a captain reroll and I'm not getting stainless steel fast enough to ever need a crew reroll. I thought that being guaranteed the +10% seafaring/morale/combat items with everything else maxed was fair; they don't offer arguably overpowered advantages like the adventurer reroll. Now that it seems to completely disregard what items you already have, I'm thinking of just ignoring the random events.

I had actually self debated (lol) the pros and cons of the situation, but apparently whoever's reading or not reading those things has decided that they would rather have a game that's not fun at all but prevents exploits over one that accepts the exploits as part of the game and uses other methods to balance the advantage with something else.

not that we ever really expected them to do otherwise

8f14270694.jpg

Personally I don't care for farming the scrolls. I mean ideally you'll be hunting for the materials long after you've obtained all of the scrolls... Let alone just the ones you've wanted. So honestly its better of to just go with the flow really. Get the scrolls you want the most first the keep working at it even if you are at the pincers. Ill be lucky to get even 4/12 of the sea singer scrolls before the pincers open up for me, but whatever - fine! I plan on spending the same amount of time I did getting where I am to just get the materials to make the sets (and probably even more!).

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I don't see how people are so behind on the scrolls tbh.

I'm not especially hunting them; failed a few, turned others down for story or w/e and thus far I have Rocktail Soup, Seasinger body, Seasinger Legs and Death Lotus body scrolls completed and I'm only a few days into the Bowl region.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Personally I don't care for farming the scrolls. I mean ideally you'll be hunting for the materials long after you've obtained all of the scrolls...

Not true. With the generous trade-good rewards, you will have the materials long before you have all the armour scrolls.

Let alone just the ones you've wanted. So honestly its better of to just go with the flow really. Get the scrolls you want the most first the keep working at it even if you are at the pincers. Ill be lucky to get even 4/12 of the sea singer scrolls before the pincers open up for me, but whatever - fine! I plan on spending the same amount of time I did getting where I am to just get the materials to make the sets (and probably even more!).

This is dubious at best. As things currently stand, gathering the scrolls in Pincers will be far more difficult, and take far longer.

I'm not especially hunting them; failed a few, turned others down for story or w/e and thus far I have Rocktail Soup, Seasinger body, Seasinger Legs and Death Lotus body scrolls completed and I'm only a few days into the Bowl region.

Because of the idiotic luck based system that Jagex employs everywhere. I have failed several consecutive 80%+ Scroll missions.

I only have two adventurers and concentrated on resources over scrolls and trade goods. So I've got 5 scrolls done. Pretty sure others are in the same boat (no pun intended). I guess if I had 6 adventurers, I would have gotten more scrolls in the cherrywood region just thanks to having the chance to do them and ability to reroll.

Yeah, I'll miss out on the high gp payout but oh well. At least people that have the skills are getting the payout after these six weeks. Still a great update and I hope the changes to the random events aren't too extreme. Speaking of random events, think they should have a seasinger random where you go around cleaning up the port (sweep trash, empty barrels, shoo seagulls, enslave the souls and crush the hearts of sailors through melodic singing, polishing brass, etc)?

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

I'm getting super annoyed by losing special voyages because of adventurers who haven't gotten in port again from missions from the day before.

Yesterday, I had the biologist and the whaler, sent them out, but they only got back after the reset hour. This morning, I had them both again for new missions, among which a coveted scroll mission... I click the ships returned from the special voyages to set them up for the special voyages... only to have lost them. Edit: didn't lose them all, whaler stuck around after all. The biologist, however, did disappear.

This will only be worse in the pincers, when special voyages take 18 hours. It also makes icons to attract specific adventurers a really bad idea.

Adventurer reroll. Does i need to have adventurer to use it ? Well, i have done random even after sent ships with both i got, thats why im asking.

"Mieć milion i nie mieć miliona to razem dwa miliony" A. Sapkowski

Personally I don't care for farming the scrolls. I mean ideally you'll be hunting for the materials long after you've obtained all of the scrolls...

Not true. With the generous trade-good rewards, you will have the materials long before you have all the armour scrolls.

Those missions are one-offs... You honestly think that? After those one offs the pincer voyages you get for armour trade goods should only max out at 4 per right. I believe the duo adventurer storyline voyages give 25 trade goods and the trips give 50.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Those missions are one-offs... You honestly think that? After those one offs the pincer voyages you get for armour trade goods should only max out at 4 per right. I believe the duo adventurer storyline voyages give 25 trade goods and the trips give 50.

I was under the impression that you had quite a few of those, rather than one-offs. So are you saying you can only got 75 Max of each trade goods? One from 25 voyage and one from the 50 voyage?

I was under the impression that you had quite a few of those, rather than one-offs. So are you saying you can only got 75 Max of each trade goods? One from 25 voyage and one from the 50 voyage?

I think it's more like you'll get 25 of each trade good from finishing every adventurer storyline, and then 50 for each triple adventurer storyline. I'm not sure if the trade good you get is random or specific to the adventurer(s) - I think it's the latter.

Edit - but yeah, you can only finish each storyline once (I believe)

So far from stories I've had 25 chi, 25 laquer, 50 plate, 25 bone. Sent 100 spices, which is the sixth and last Pincers story. Triples are worth another 50 laquer, 50 plate, 50 chi, 50 bones. You can merchant all of these to obtain 30% more. Regular pincers voyages are 5 trade goods per lot, also merchantable to be 6. You can get stuff pretty quickly in the end.

Just smithed superior Tetsu legs, 126k smithing xp.

• Like 2

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Adventurer reroll. Does i need to have adventurer to use it ? Well, i have done random even after sent ships with both i got, thats why im asking.

You don't, in fact it's preferrable that you dont have adventurers so you get new special voyages

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

I started last night but i think what im going to do from here out is... When i get home from work/gym 6ish(EST) im going to collect the previous days special mission/s today there will be 2 but im sure sometimes there will only be one. If the specials dont offers a scroll i wont do it unless there is a mission for trade goods. Im not going to do any standard missions at all. Im about 20 or 30% into the bowl so i can get 80% or more for all scroll and trade missions. so far i have death lotus chest, str scrimshaw, tetsu helm and one scroll down on tetsu chest. After a week or so ill update on how this is working out.

Speaking of rerolls...

I had sent out a whaler scroll earlier today, it was full on SF so I sent out my best Seafaring setup (5 SF only crew), albeit only managing something like 65% chance. Then I rerolled adventurers before that ship got back, and I got Morale/SF scroll voyage, and all I had left to send out for SF was my sea witch, which I was surprised I was able to manage 62%. Sent it.

Then I realised I have a 5800 all JoD Voyage, with literally no sf crew left. I got as much out of my bureaucrat as possible, after using 2 siren tears and powder keg, I got it up to 96%...

JoD will probably succeed, but I have a bad feeling about the scrolls lol

I think lady luck might be in my port, all 3 voyages succeeded (up to 27 scrolls now) and first crew reroll of the day: Judge...

tim_chenw2.png

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)

Sticking to scroll missions in bowl is the stupidest idea I've heard in this thread. Think about it:

You can get 1 scroll mission in a day (maybe 2? doesn't matter anyway) (let's not count in the adventurer rerolls as they are quite rare after recent update)

Say you can complete them all and get 30 scrolls in a month

Now if you get to pincers, the percentage drops at most by 20%, and doing all the same missions you will have 24 after the same month. But in the mean time you will be upgrading your pincers ship and crew, which in the long run will be what decides how fast you will receive the trade goods.

And about the speed of voyages in pincers - who cares how long it takes? its not like you have 8 scroll voyages per day and you could do them in bowl but cant do them in pincers. You get 1 or 2, you can complete them all no matter if you r in pincers or bowl, just if you are in bowl you are getting almost 2 times less trade goods than you would get in bowl, and you are getting no resources.

You are failing to take into account of one very important factor which you stated it does not 'matter': Time

Voyages in Bowl is shorter than in Pincer, which means that you can complete more voyages per day than you can in Pincer, Which means proportionally, getting a scroll in bowl will cost less voyages than it does in pincer (IE 1 voyage out of a possible daily of 12 in bowl instead 1 voyage out of a possible daily of 8, maybe even less because scrolls take longer other voyages).

In short, while it is indeed stupid to stick to bowl for scroll missions, it is far from stupid to doing scroll missions in bowl.

tim_chenw2.png

You are failing to take into account of one very important factor which you stated it does not 'matter': Time

Voyages in Bowl is shorter than in Pincer, which means that you can complete more voyages per day than you can in Pincer, Which means proportionally, getting a scroll in bowl will cost less voyages than it does in pincer (IE 1 voyage out of a possible daily of 12 in bowl instead 1 voyage out of a possible daily of 8, maybe even less because scrolls take longer other voyages).

In short, while it is indeed stupid to stick to bowl for scroll missions, it is far from stupid to doing scroll missions in bowl.

By all means, you SHOULD do all the scroll missions in bowl, I never wanted to say you shouldn't. I'm talking only about sticking to them, in which case time doesn't matter, just as i Said.

Final setup I'm considering for the pincers:

Captains:

Pure Moral - 4 moral Traits

Moral Seafaring - Moral based captain - 4 seafaring traits

Pure Combat - 4 Combat Traits

Pure Seafaring - 4 Seafaring Traits

Seafaring Combat - Seafaring Captain - 2-4 Combat Traits 0-2 Seafaring traits.

Crew:

3 Jade Merchants

3 Ox Head

3 Judge of the Dice

5 Combat

5 Moral

6 Seafaring

Reasoning being that for double and triple stat voyages. JoD Merchant Oxhead, will be pretty much mandatory.This leaves 2 slots one for each type on a double and likely one combat one seafaring on a triple.

Hopefully this will let me maximize success as most of my missions lately haven't been single stat. The only problem is single stat missions then consume most of my crew. Would consider replacing one seafaring person with an additional merchant but I'm not sure.

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

52% through the bowl and just got 4th ship... was a bit annoyed by the random event fix because i'de only just got enough rewards to start getting adventurer re-rolls constantly... grrrrrrr

anyway, getting all the body scrolls, then might go for all legs, and i might get a scrimshaw just because why not...

meamzed.png