Hmm, what about...

3 Judges

6 morale

6 combat

5 seafaring

1 witch

1 golem

3 merchants

That's almost my setup at the moment, but I have 6 of the standard seafaring crew and only 2 merchants.

So far there's only been screenshots posted of the 3 base crew from pincers, and that Oxhead guy. If there are truly only 4 pincers crew member types, then that will affect crew choices I'm sure...

It will only affect them in as much as merchants etc. from bowl will be kept.

Also @muggi I'd say 6 seafaring is the most important of the base crew because seafaring loses out on hulls (200 less on max) and loses out due to no rams and figureheads; so in terms of reaching stats seafaring crew > morale/combat crew (only slightly but still)

Good point, I forgot about that. I'll probably dismiss my golem when I get to the pincers to make room for a 6th seafarer unless the pincers has a steel golem that nobody knows about yet.

77yLQy8.png

Ditch the golem and seawitches for oxe-faces, since the oxface has higher stats (600all) compared to the seawitch AND golem's 450/600 combo. Also, the oxface has 600 seafaring/combat so it can function as a decent double in every two-stat mission.

As long as there are no other crew My plan is to keep the judge of dice + merchants from bowl and upgrade everything else over time.

EDIT:

Jeremy or Saradomin Mage, what's the rough difficulty leap going from bowl to pincers?

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

I'm thinking my final crew plan is:

6 Morale

6 Combat

6 Seafaring

2 Ox

3 Merchant

2 Judge

Might swap last few about a bit but its gotta be 2.3.2 or 1.4.2 or 1.3.3

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I don't think three merchants is necessary at all, you rarely get three missions you want to use one on anyway. That's especially true after you maxed your stainless steel upgrades.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

If my 25 chi + merchant + fortune of sea succeeds i got enough chi for superior sea singer legs ;x

Succeeded plate & laqcuer earlier, those jade statues dont give any +trade goods btw, got 25 laqcuer without any bonusses >.<

I'm going to crush your dreams with this but it needs to be said for all to hear; jade statues boost your trade goods by 1%.

That, and the fact that totems are added multiplicatively rather than additively {ie: base x 1.01 x 1.01 rather than base x (1.01+1.01)} AND that boosts round down, means that jade statues have only ONE USE; that is turning the Whaler's final storyline mission's reward from 100 spices to 101 spices (Merchants and FotS not applied).

It doesn't work on anything else.

Yeah, you just got Jagex'd, son.

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

I don't think three merchants is necessary at all, you rarely get three missions you want to use one on anyway. That's especially true after you maxed your stainless steel upgrades.

?????

If a merchant wasn't worth having on your boat, you're probably done with the Ports in the first place.

Get 4 merchants, never let them leave any ships.

How many hotdogs does it take to mow a garage door?

?????

If a merchant wasn't worth having on your boat, you're probably done with the Ports in the first place.

Thats just no.

If the voyage is sub-100% you don't want a merchant, better to have a different unit for 100%.

I can see Quy's point though I would be of the opinion when you have basically 'finished' ports presumably you'd be able to 100% most trade good missions (which are kinda the only reason to still be there) so surely you would be wanting a merchant on most voyages at that point.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

?????

Thats just no.

If the voyage is sub-100% you don't want a merchant, better to have a different unit for 100%.

I can see Quy's point though I would be of the opinion when you have basically 'finished' ports presumably you'd be able to 100% most trade good missions (which are kinda the only reason to still be there) so surely you would be wanting a merchant on most voyages at that point.

Wrong.

You "don't" want a merchant on board, if the crew slot they are taking up would hinder your success chance by 30%(Or the amount your current tier merchant gives). Little hint, that isn't possible.

How many hotdogs does it take to mow a garage door?

?????

Thats just no.

Absolutely not. Let me give you probability 101 right now. Specific lesson: expected value.

Our goal is to maximize the expected return of each mission. There are two factors contributing to the expected value: the probability of success (p) and the amount returned if successful (x). The relationship between them is simple: the expected return on a voyage, E(V), is equal to the probability of success times the amount returned when successful. Thus, E(V) = px.

We have two scenarios to consider: one with a merchant, one without a merchant. Without a merchant, suppose the best success rate we can get is P, and the expected return is X. With a merchant, the return given success increases to 1.3X. How much does p decrease due to the lack of a merchant? Well, suppose you lose 2k of unit stats (conservative overestimate), and the mission has requirements of 16k (roughly typical, though it doesn't matter much if this changes). Then that changes p from P to 0.875P, and thus E(V) = 0.875P(1.3X) = 1.1375PX. This is a roughly 14% increase in expected return by using a merchant.

Note that as mission requirements increase, it actually becomes more beneficial to use a merchant, as the decrease in p becomes smaller while the increase in x becomes larger.

TLDR: ALWAYS use a merchant, on ALL your voyages, except for voyages for 3 or fewer trade goods, where the effect will be rounded down to nothing.

You wouldn't want to use a merchant if it decreased your success by more than 30% (roughly, 1/1.3 to be precise), but there are no such missions.

Edited by Thorgmir
  • Like 5
Grate_Scot.png

the difference here is that the payoffs are relatively lower and the voyage times are higher

If i remember right, resource payoffs were pretty low (120) at the beginning of the bowl. Like other regions I assume it increases

I just realized I'm almost to pincers and I still have a Scythe combat member in my crew...I never even noticed lol

?????

Thats just no.

Absolutely not. Let me give you probability 101 right now. Specific lesson: expected value.

Our goal is to maximize the expected return of each mission. There are two factors contributing to the expected value: the probability of success (p) and the amount returned if successful (x). The relationship between them is simple: the expected return on a voyage, E(V), is equal to the probability of success times the amount returned when successful. Thus, E(V) = px.

We have two scenarios to consider: one with a merchant, one without a merchant. Without a merchant, suppose the best success rate we can get is P, and the expected return is X. With a merchant, the return given success increases to 1.3X. How much does p decrease due to the lack of a merchant? Well, suppose you lose 2k of unit stats (conservative overestimate), and the mission has requirements of 16k (roughly typical, though it doesn't matter much if this changes). Then that changes p from P to 0.875P, and thus E(V) = 0.875P(1.3X) = 1.1375PX. This is a roughly 14% increase in expected return by using a merchant.

Note that as mission requirements increase, it actually becomes more beneficial to use a merchant, as the decrease in p becomes smaller while the increase in x becomes larger.

TLDR: ALWAYS use a merchant, on ALL your voyages, except for voyages for 3 or fewer trade goods, where the effect will be rounded down to nothing.

You wouldn't want to use a merchant if it decreased your success by more than 30% (roughly, 1/1.3 to be precise), but there are no such missions.

Except you are not factoring in one thing... Time (as in overall time needed to harvest resources).

Yeah, i do get that ON AVERAGE and in the long run, you get more resources by always deploying a merchant on your trips. But picture this scenario: Every mission you fail, sets you back on the race* for first tetsu plate/seasinger thingamajig/scrimshaw X by the same time that mission lasted+. On Scythe or Bowl missions (especially the first ones, as you are trying to get new crew/ship parts/occasional port upgrades), this can be very hurtfull because it can POTENTIALLY raise to many hours lost.

Also, when you first arrive to a new region the gap between what stats you can dish out and the actual requirements is greater while using the merchant, so you risk bigger penalties.

And you could say that on the Scythe and Bowl, since it already takes days to move on to the next region, the sample is big enough to just risk it, because it will probably even out. But you can also say, that half the people taking your approach will have either ok to good to excelent progression, and the other half will have ok to bad to really poor progression; following a normal distribution... I'm not saying that people that always go for better stats don't have this too, because i know even then you can't ace all missions, but the lower the risk involved, the lower the variability of results.

That's why I THINK it's not so inefficient to follow a more guaranteed approach, or a mixed one (using merchants only after getting a bit more familiar with a new region), because the greater the risk, the more penalties# you should be prepared to face.

* I'm assuming that you want to reach the pincers for faster resource gathering. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

+ The delay is even more if you lose resources/crew/captains, even though lifeboats help here.

# Even though this can go the other way around (major winning) with equal probability...

I don't think it matters where you put him, as long as he is on the ship.

Also JoD isn't suited for single stat voyages, so it isn't always on the ship (just like the Merchant), but he is there majority of the time

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

Lost another crew member... Nothing big. Probably only the third one throughout the whole thing.

Also...

Tjjf0ks.png

One more and I get it in today in another 5 hours. After that I think I'll just do the melee critical scrimshaw then the mage one.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

The Judge being first is because abilities that don't stack take the first ability from the left, so it only matters if you have a bureaucrat or other solidarity unit on your ship too, I don't know why you'd have that happen though.

funnyline.png
260pifq.jpg
dlWmf3d.pngcyndane.png
Balthamel.png

The voyages for scrolls on the bowl are a huge gap for my current crew/ship upgrades. I'm thinking about making the totems for scrolls and then hunt for some scrolls when I have to go back to the scythe for more cwood for port upgrades. I'm taking longer because I've been busy gathering stuff for port upgrades; so far cwood and/or slate port upgrades are completely done, need to work on improving jade crew / ship upgrades first and then go back to scythe for cwood + jade port ugrades (such as bar).

tumblr_m6mcuojTED1qlz68ro1_500.gif