11-Dec-2012 - Player-Owned Ports

chenw

1PJtM.jpeg

Pincers special crew unlock - 10k in all stats adversity.

E: 600 all stats (except speed) with Resurrects trait.

Just what we wanted! It's Sea Witch's awful ability put on a crew with awful stats! Truly ingenious.

To be honest, I am seriously bummed out by this. This is just pathetic, awful stat distribution and a broken ability. There's absolutely no reason to ever use this guy.

Add into that that Lifeboats are permanent :P

Emaxganis.png

Rule #14 - Don't argue with trolls, it means they win.

600 all stats is better than standard Pincers crew on triple voyages, and of course you can throw it in with a Judge.

Of course the trait is absolute garbage, Mod Edam mentioned that they want to rework it though.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

600 all stats is better than standard Pincers crew on triple voyages, and of course you can throw it in with a Judge.

Of course the trait is absolute garbage, Mod Edam mentioned that they want to rework it though.

If anything I think they need to inverse what it does. eg the ghost guys all have a 'previous life' trait that gives the base stats of what they used to be opposed to currently where their traits carry over so they keep their personal bonuses but lose all their base/lvl up stats.

That way it might nerf the crew short-term (as they are basically lvl 0 again) but they are useful and with a few voyage could be back on par.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Triple voyage is the keyword here. Assuming an equal distribution of Voyage requirements, Oxhead & Horseface is:

- Better than a standard pincers crewmember by 50% in 14.28% of voyages

- Equal to a standard pincers crewmember in 42.86% of voyages

- Worse by a standard pincers crewmember by 100% in 42.86% of voyages

-> Overall effectiveness compared to standard Pincers crewmember: 86% (ie: 0.86 to standard's 1, or 14% worse overall)

---

Compare that to Judge of Dice and standard Bowl crewmembers:

- Triple voyages: better than standard bowl crew by ~185%-215% at lvl 0, ~129%-148% at lvl 6 (assuming using either 4 to 5 unique crewmembers, JoD included)

- Double voyages: better than standard bowl crew by ~70%-90% at lvl 0, ~40%-53% at lvl 6 (assuming using either 3 to 4 unique crewmembers)

- Single voyages: worse than standard bowl crew by ~15%-25% at lvl 0, ~30%-36% at lvl 6 (assuming using either 2 to 3 unique crewmembers)

Overall effective compared to standard Bowl crewmember at lvl 6 with the lowest number of crewmembers (worst case scenario here described): 120%

That's not even counting the Speed stat that will be improved, thus actually making it overall better

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

I think people are looking at this 600 all character the wrong way. Firstly, a standard Pincers crew member has a 1200 base stat and is useful in 4/7 voyage types (their stat, their two dual-stat combos, and tri-stat). This Oxhead guy has 1200 base stats for any dual-stat mission and 1800 base stats for any tri-stat mission. This makes him equally useful as a standard member in 3/7 mission types and better in 1/7. So statistically he's slightly better than a standard crew member.

Unknown above is comparing Oxhead to all three standard members simultaneously, which isn't a fair comparison since we're looking at usefulness per slot taken.

Oxhead just seems like a bad deal because the special crew members from prior regions were so much greatly better than the standard crew. Oxhead is just a minor boost in comparison.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

I think people are looking at this 600 all character the wrong way. Firstly, a standard Pincers crew member has a 1200 base stat and is useful in 4/7 voyage types (their stat, their two dual-stat combos, and tri-stat). This Oxhead guy has 1200 base stats for any dual-stat mission and 1800 base stats for any tri-stat mission. This makes him equally useful as a standard member in 3/7 mission types and better in 1/7. So statistically he's slightly better than a standard crew member.

Unknown above is comparing Oxhead to all three standard members simultaneously, which isn't a fair comparison since we're looking at usefulness per slot taken.

Oxhead just seems like a bad deal because the special crew members from prior regions were so much greatly better than the standard crew. Oxhead is just a minor boost in comparison.

If you look at potential per slot he sucks as soon as you start levelling up.

It's all well a good comparing base stats but you have to consider levelling.

Levelling is done based on percentage of the base stat, therefore he only gains 1 per stat for every 2 normal crew get, so as levels grow his use diminishes.

He starts at being 1/2 a normal crew in 3 stats but he'll progress towards 1/4 of a normal crew, his potency just drops out.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Scroll up on the list.

If you look at potential per slot he sucks as soon as you start levelling up.

It's all well a good comparing base stats but you have to consider levelling.

Levelling is done based on percentage of the base stat, therefore he only gains 1 per stat for every 2 normal crew get, so as levels grow his use diminishes.

He starts at being 1/2 a normal crew in 3 stats but he'll progress towards 1/4 of a normal crew, his potency just drops out.

But his base stat total is 1800 vs base stat total of 1200, means that he'll gain 180 total while they gain 120 total. So for triple stats, he is slightly better. For double voyages he is equal, and for singles he sucks.

The real kick in the face is the new solidarity crew from the area that is listed, as 850 to all stats in addition to solidarity.. Strictly better without the special trait bonus.. That's just.. ouch. I would've reversed the stats so at least the khan guy didn't fully outclass the special crew.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Scroll up on the list.

I took the picture on the icon spot where I built the human skull for a reason: to show I already had an icon there. But the selection list says the Mammoth Skull is in every icon spot, when the other two are empty and the pictured spot above is currently reading as having two icons active. Could you explain a bit more because I'm not really sure what scrolling up to see what I have currently built -- when I know it's Human Skull -- will do for me. That's why I asked if that was a known glitch or not.

• Like 1

hzvjpwS.gif

base stat total is 1800 vs base stat total of 1200, means that he'll gain 180 total while they gain 120 total. So for triple stats, he is slightly better. For double voyages he is equal, and for singles he sucks.

The real kick in the face is the new solidarity crew from the area that is listed, as 850 to all stats in addition to solidarity.. Strictly better without the special trait bonus.. That's just.. ouch. I would've reversed the stats so at least the khan guy didn't fully outclass the special crew.

Don't trust anything that the wikia reads until it has been confirmed with a screenshot.

Two days ago I saw Scythe, Bowl and Pincers captains on there for 20k, 45k, 100k chimes respectively, which was deleted day after.

Yesterday I saw Oxhead & Horseface stats as 750 Morale, 1200 combat with Rallying Cry.

We don't even know it truly exists by this point.

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png

[/hide]

base stat total is 1800 vs base stat total of 1200, means that he'll gain 180 total while they gain 120 total. So for triple stats, he is slightly better. For double voyages he is equal, and for singles he sucks.

Don't trust anything that the wikia reads until it has been confirmed with a screenshot.

Two days ago I saw Scythe, Bowl and Pincers captains on there for 20k, 45k, 100k chimes respectively, which was deleted day after.

Yesterday I saw Oxhead & Horseface stats as 750 Morale, 1200 combat with Rallying Cry.

We don't even know it truly exists by this point.

We do know it exists, we have screenshots from users in this very thread.

Edit wait you were talking of the solidarity guy, my bad.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Don't lifeboats only remain until they're used to save one of your crew members and then disappear?

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Don't lifeboats only remain until they're used to save one of your crew members and then disappear?

Yeah but it's harder to kill your crew than you would think.

on the contrary I have seen people losing several crew members within a few days.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

on the contrary I have seen people losing several crew members within a few days.

It's wildly variable, you actually have to get a failure that would damage your ship ("The rigours of the voyage were too much for your crew") and then you have to make a pretty bad roll there to have one of them die.

So far my tetsu armour only has one dead Cathery Fisherman hanging over it, so I can sleep pretty well.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

I've had two situations so far where my crew should've died but were saved by the Lifeboat ('A crewmember was found floating in a lifeboat" or something to that effect) and it didn't remove the Lifeboat effect.

Of course, this was before the FotS and LTS nerf, so they might wear off now.

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png

[/hide]

Sorry for doublepost:

Had to dismiss my ONLY Combat oriented Captain for this 10K chimes one, so I was praying to the gods that she would be a goodie:

tybasedjagex.jpg

Thanks, Jagex!

Now I have 5 10k chimes captains.

• Like 1

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png

[/hide]

Dang.. Had the occultist out on a scroll mission before the reset, and when the reset came I had her in port again, but now after the scroll mission came back her new missions disappeared. :(.

EDIT: Not my pictures.

1Qmsm.Png

Looks like one trio of adventurers make up the Quin storyline and the others the Hyu-Ji?

Also .. have we even seen any 5/5 difficulty missions yet?

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

Sorry for doublepost:

Had to dismiss my ONLY Combat oriented Captain for this 10K chimes one, so I was praying to the gods that she would be a goodie:

tybasedjagex.jpg

Thanks, Jagex!

Now I have 5 10k chimes captains.

*Looks at my only 10k captain, whom came with cursed trait, and cries a little bit on a corner*

I just sent the Biologist on her Bowl story mission, and the Whaler who's also in port suddenly provides no missions at all anymore. Previously, he would recieve a new set of voyages to replace the dual xp and dual trade good missions. But now I have the situation that he is in port, just not doing anything :?.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

They must have been doing something wrong, or taking unnecesary risks. Afaik they only die if your chance of success is really low, probably below 60% or something around there.

He claimed it was 80%'s, which as far as I am aware of, is the range which is notorious for absurdly high failure rate.

I have heard of more failures in this range than in the 60's, which is roughly the same as what I am experiencing.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

I have heard of more failures in this range than in the 60's, which is roughly the same as what I am experiencing.

Might have to do with the fact that it's a lot more common to send out a voyage in the 80+ range. I'm not sure if players usually settle for 60%.

Or the fact that 60% fails are underreported as people don't really find it newsworthy when they failed in a mission that could have gone either way.

22031_s.gif

1PJtM.jpeg

Pincers special crew unlock - 10k in all stats adversity.

E: 600 all stats (except speed) with Resurrects trait.

Just what we wanted! It's Sea Witch's awful ability put on a crew with awful stats! Truly ingenious.

To be honest, I am seriously bummed out by this. This is just pathetic, awful stat distribution and a broken ability. There's absolutely no reason to ever use this guy.

As others mentioned, he's a 1800 total stat guy. This makes him the best on the triple stat missions (rare as they are) and somewhat useful on the double stat missions. Plus, he adds +100 solidarity to all stats since he's a unique crew member which you lose if you try to double book a 1200 crew in his place. That solidarity benefit is a big plus.

He sucks on the single stat missions, and his special ability is useless. If they do change on how resurrect works (become a permanent level 0 for instance) then that would be cool.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit