Here there be Dragons (Taken from RS forums)

Sirgatory

Very Interesting if you ask me...

We are driven to explore, it's in our nature. Humankind has, throughout its history, had individuals who were not content to sit at home and till the fields, milk the cows, and scrub the floors. Oh no, these people were driven, compelled, deitically called to wander off into the middle of nowhere, and come back again.

And they came back with three words: "Here Be Dragons".

Of course, there are no Dragons in our world. I mean, if there were 60ft long winged lizards that breathed fire and had a **** for gold that rivals most rappers, we'd have noticed by now... but we do have the IDEA of Dragons, and that's even better; all the drive, non of the burns.

Anyway, despite the fact Dragons do not exist, people still went looking for them. There's always someone who'll turn around and say "there's no dragons HERE, but there might be some over there..."

Dragons are important.

So what do Dragons have to do with Runescape? Well, we DO have Dragons in Runescape, but that's not actually that important.

We also have the Idea of Dragons, which is.

Or rather, we did. We're losing that now, just as we lost it in the real world.

Once upon a time, Runescape was filled with Dragons. Back in the beginning, you couldn't move for Dragons. When the only bank was in Varrock, when the world ended at Edgeville and when Black Knights were the biggest baddies around, Dragons lurked everywhere.

By now, I hope, you've realised that when I say "Dragon", I don't mean our flying fire-snakes. I mean the desire to explore. The wording can change... "Here be Demons", "Here be Ogres," "Here be Cyclops", heck "Here be Penguins" will do; we seek out the unknown, the new, the wonderous... and that's how Runescape began. Those first players discovered this game, this Dragon, and set off to discover it.

I have been here long enough to catch the tail-end of this greatness. I remember many horizons, many boarders, and I remember how each was crossed and expanded. This is a source of joy to me, and of sorrow. No longer can I sit and wonder "what lies North of the Wilderness Fence?", "What lies beyond the Ardougne Mountains?", "Is there anything south of the Desert?" My questions have been answered, the map has been drawn, my Dragons have been tamed.

And with the taming, Runescape shrank. Gone are the days where my friends and I would stand upon the edge of the broken bridge at Seers and wonder what world lay beyond. We would spy for movement in the trees, and dream of the day when we could wander those woods, explore the maple groves and learn what moved amongst them. We saw Dragons, and we wanted them.

Now, we have few Dragons left. This is best seen on these very forums; where once an update, any update, was hailed and welcomed with open arms, now only scorn and resentment appear. Every update, without fail, people complain....

"It's too long!"

"It's too short!"

"Quests are too low-level!"

"Quests are too high-level!"

"We want new weapons!"

"The new weapons stink!"

It is endless. These sad, misguided people have grown up in a world without Dragons, and as Runescape loses its own, the vermin breed.

So what will become of Runescape without its Dragons? Well, it will die. Sooner or later, the world will be plotted. We will know all the lands, all the races, all the continent and kingdoms. There will be no more exploring, no more new skills, no more new quests. There here will be no more Dragons.

However, that has not happened yet.

With the release of the Merchant Traders, the Runescape world shrank even more. Now items from TyrasÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ camp can be purchased across the world, now we can go from one end of the Runescape world to the other in a heartbeat. The world has been mapped, literally, and there are no blank corners left, no unknown lands, no mysterious regions. No Dragons.

Yet there is an offer of something more... a New World beyond the ocean. This, I feel, is Runescape's future.

Jagex, I emplore you, do not make this world to satisfy the foolish and ignorant, make it for people like me; players who still take joy in every new addition, players who remember when Honour was the currency of Runescape, not Gold Pieces. Make it for us... make it vast, make it wonderous, make it unknown.

I am tired of people who laugh at me because I prefer Snakeskin armour to Dragonhide. I despise people who seem to think that I should be fishing thousands of Lobsters, or mining thousands of Coal, or cutting thousands of trees just to earn money. Why? Why are people so driven to earn money that exists solely in a game? Why do they hate and scorn so much the people who play the game simply for the joy of playing? Why do they hate Dragons?

"We want High-Level quests!"

"The Quests are too hard!"

"We want new weapons!"

"The new weapons stink!"

"We want updates to old areas!"

"Stop changing up old areas!"

It never ends. Human Vermin who vomit filth into this game day after day, making it fester and die. We must regain what we have lost... honour, decency, and Dragons.

When the New World appears, I truly hope it will be a world where players like me can feel at home; no maps, no shortcuts, just endless and unexplored realms for us to discover.

So I ask you all who read this... think well of how you act, and what you say. Do not mock and scorn, but go through every day with a sense of wonder, play for the fun, not for empty achievements.

Follow me, and I promise there'll be Dragons.

Discuss your views ^_^

My old signature had to do with PKing the classic way.

Unfortunately, that is no more.

Wow. I felt the same way when I first started RS...(my happiest finding within the first week being Draynor Manor; "Hey guys! Look at this haunted house thingamabobber!", and "Guys, I'm rich! I just found a Bronze Medium Helmet on the ground!" :lol: ), and once I became a member, it just became more and more intriguing...After awhile, however, I knew most of the locations of things...and I lost sight of the reason I first became so interested with RuneScape. Gone were the days of wandering around, just to see where it would take me, and what I would find; gone were the days of walking around the Wilderness, and ultimately dying to some bloodthirsty PKer. I anxiously await the new updates, and as he had stated, find the amount of people whining over its difficulty or length pathetic. Oh well. Very nice :)

2552DyWnY.png

That's how I felt when I first started playing RuneScape. I loved it. I long to feel that way again. Always nervous if this place will get me killed or get me rich. Oh, how I miss it! Now it's all PKers who kill just so I can't get back my Saradomin cape. Or people who just want money and will tell me it's 300K instead of 100K because I didn't know the prices. I wish, for once, JaGeX would do something ingenious...*plans evil things*

___

kuroi

wiseoldmanv2jpgvx2.jpg

do u wow?

Cassiius|Level 70 Night Elf Preist|Runetotem

Sambora|Level 37 Tauren Shaman|BurningLegion

Wow! Finally, he put that so well.

I remember when I found a steel plate on the ground, and couldn't find my way back to civilisation. I still remember the feeling, it surpasses anything I've ever done on rs to this day.

I agree and support this rant 100% I really hate the complainers, where nothing is good enough and everything has to be easy.

I'm really looking forward to the future, if it happens :D

jd4mfinalsmal0jp.gif

Proper Daily blogging including Starcraft 2!

Includes goal for 80+ all stats

Heh actually if I can get permission from the OP, and the first post of his rant (the rant got locked, and the first post hidden) I plan on posting a rant on rares which, interestingly enough, has nothing to do with their player-set prices (*gasp*)

People often insult the RSOF, but I've seen some posts (mostly in the rants board) that are just as well written as the best of tipit's.

Quit runescape, now playing EVE-Online(Mail Cambarus and say hi :mrgreen: )

Awesome rant posted there.

I felt the same way as many of the others who have already posted here today. This brings back memories of getting lost, and ending up in a market place, and overwhelmed purely based on the massive amount of adventurers in one place. Or the feeling you get when you finally afford that next level weapon, or a new set of armour. Now I just play to get levels, and compete. If we need any updates, it's the ones that bring back feelings and memories of our beginning days, importantly more "Dragons".

Rock on! =D>

icecube7.jpeg

Great topic. I felt exactly the same way when I started runescape. Everything was so new, and of course there was no tutorial island back then, no newcomer's map, so exploring really was delightful! I remember trying to use the river as a means of finding my way around, and it must have taken at least 2 weeks of playing for me to get any bearings whatsoever. The first route I memorized was the way from Varrock to Lumbridge, and then eventually to Falador. Those were good times! Alas those dragons have now gone.

But one thing that really does lower this article's quality is the way everyone who doesn't play the game for these 'dragons' is labelled as scum and filth. That's a very ignorant thing to say. People enjoy the game in different ways and to think there's just one way to play it is naive and greatly lowers my respect for the author, for using such harsh and nasty words against people who have done nothing to deserve them.

~Ian

newsig4ty.jpg

Retired Tip It Moderator | Zybez Radio DJ - Listen Here

i felt the same way when i started....i walked around...eventually hitting varrok after getting owned by a cow.i wandered varrok and lumby and al kahrid like it was some huge world.then i went to a place a friend told me about called port sarim.after that i made my own map of the rs world...theni discovered the world map and saw that i was pretty darn close to right. the beginning of rs was fun...it was a huge world.now as a member...the hugemongous rs world doesnt seem that big. i hope for a place in rs without huge requirements....as a hidden update that no noobs know about but its new to explore...and has no maps.thatd be fun...well thats my 2 cents.

~goat~

I shall take my flock underneath my own wing, and kick them right the [bleep] out of the tree. If they were meant to fly, they won't break their necks on the concrete.
So, what is 1.111... equal to?

10/9.

Please don't continue.

wm1c2w.jpg

seriously! What they should do, is add tons more space, but only leave what they have mapped. They rest, players have to find out on their own. And when noobs send letters saying "Map the place, we got lost!" jagex shound answer something related to the game, such as, "This area is not yet explored, only adventurers dare to enter," or something like that.

"Dost hath not giveth thy name 'noob' to thy brethren...

...Or thou art must considereth thyself a noob as well."

I know this sounds the same but I do have to agree. I remember when I started out that level 15 was the greatest. And I learned my ways around and then when I bought members it happened all over again. Until I found the power of the duel ring to get to CW, then I was set. I personally dont complain about anything. I dont know who complains but I know that there will always be complaining on updates. You cant please everyone at the same time.

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

when I was new, I LOVED exploring. I once went to the lava pits, just to see a greater demon. That's one reason I wanna be a member, I wanna look at all the new map space available for me

"Dost hath not giveth thy name 'noob' to thy brethren...

...Or thou art must considereth thyself a noob as well."

There is much to be added to Runescape still, new lands will be added slowly. But Jagex should step up and speed that up. We have the Eastern Lands, and the Northern Lands, and most likely more desert and southern Lands. What about the western lands? There should be a quest to get to a new land when they bring it out where you have to live on a ship, kind of like the pirate one where you have to help get to Mos Le'Harmless, but longer, with stops where you need to sneak and get supplies and whatnot.

I miss the days of exploration of rsc, and even on rs2 when it first came out. I'm a member now... I now know what lies beyond the fence. I now know the member world, sure, I explored it, and havn't been EVERYWHERE but I know where everything is.. They need to expand our world more, so once again their will be dragons inside of me that need to be silenced, but then... There will once again be that dying effect... And more will be added... It will never stop.

Wolfy is Officially Retired.

I miss you all (Well, mostly my friends n stuff)

If you want to talk to me, send me a message, I check the boards daily. :D

omg, That is a great piece of litrature i love his views, it makes me remember the days lol. and seeing as ive only just become a member i to get to relive a few dragons for a small while =)

Dragon_Scyth.png

"Boredom got me playing, Boredom stops me from playing. It's a vicious cycle."

Very well written article =)

Reminds me of some of the good ol' days when I first started playing and everything seemed so.. Magical..I still try to find a new Dragon, usually once in a while I might take a walk thgough an area I'm rarely in; Wilderness, Lummbridge Swamp, small woods.. However, being F2p all this time it gets harder and harder to find something each time I explore..

But like Ian, I didn't like the portrail of people who don't look to explore anymore and are concerned with other things, be it money, items, skills etc.

calvinandhobbessigedite.png

This idea i just came upto.. wow.

What if.. there were two runescapes... no not just different servers...

Imagine, a runescape. where one world is like this Geilnor. and another south of it, way south.

This world would also have free to play lands, and Pay to play lands.

Lands where bronze is a strange metal, lands with a seperate bank, lands with completely other items, quests...

A land with, upon visit, you have to start over again, with the same stats, only with no money, and you couldnt cary money over to the other side. ( darn cheaters :shame: )

Now after a long quest, you could visit these lands, imagine a space unexplored... as large as runescape now. Now that should make some exploring possible

It d be the difference as WoW and RS2, completely other people, vast lands to explore.

And would surely add an imense twist to Runescape :o

reaper6zr7.png

Interrested in joining the cabbagy madness? Click here to go to our forums, and say hi ^^

lol one of the biggest pvp updates of the year, and tip it is discussing granite

:') sniff :')

i remember those days now... when i waited to be combat 15 before daring go outside of lumbrigde, when i first came to varrock and saw the great walls of it... when i was totally suprised by seeing vikings (barbarian village) and bregging to my brother about that i had seen (and got killed by) dwarfs... i miss those days

i can also remember exploring draynor manison, and how happy i was when i found the bronze med helm.

i remember my steel scimmy... i had been killing men in al-kharid for hours to get enough gp to buy it... i had it for ages, being my most loved item.

I remember using the newcommer map for every place i was going too.

and for all this... i remember it, and it was good... dragons are good, and we should always have some dragons in our life

Scherzo.png

I totaly agree. I'm f2p and the dragons are gone. I might get mebers soon, hope so.

troope1.gif

I will shoot down any one with my bitting wit, and sarcasm!

What POSSIBLE reason would someone have to make a fake like that?Does he profit from faking a picture like that? Does it help him at all?Jesus Christ, stop being so suspicious. This is Tip.it for God's sake, not RuneHQ. -_-

It was the same for me when I began, the vast amount of stuff to explore. However, for the first week, since I started early in RSC, outside of Lumbridge Castle was the wilderness, and I was terrified to go out there, as I was always seeing people getting killed by others.

So I trained on the man and the woman in Lumbridge, and I beleive, the rats in the cellar (It was a long time ago, can't remember if they had rats down there then :-w .

Anyways, I got to around 8 combat and felt myself ready enough to begin. With the roughly 100gp I had gained from killing men, I set out on my road. Where it led, I had no clue.

But my road ended soon, around the cabbage patch. One of my worst fears became reality, I was PKed. I respawned back in Lumbridge after the message "Oh dear, you are dead." flashed on my screen.

So, once again, I killed men and women in lumbridge castle, terrifed to come out :ohnoes: .

Then my friend(who introduced me to RS) came on and asked me what was up. I told him I was in lumbridge castle and too scared to come outside the sturdy walls (lol :oops: ). So he walked down to the castle and traded me full iron (I was almost pissing my pants, lol). Anyways, I donned my new, shiny armor, and set out.

I was attacked AGAIN! But this time, I killed the person that attacked me. I felt a profound sense of joy, but only managed to get an iron chain from his body (Death piles appeared for everyone lol). So then my friend led me to a bank, where I deposited my stuff, and from then on, the rest is history. \' Oh, good times, I wish we had more Dragons.

A long time ago, I started Runescape. This was in late 2001. I explored many lands, I had fear of getting lost, of not knowing. I remember...

When the shadow of this world was young, and one would describe this dimension as "merry, friendly, and trustful". Ahh, those were the days, the good days, the days none will forget. The days The dimenesion was young. I remember...

I used to hide in the dense streets of Varrock. I used to hide by the bank. I made sure not to lose the bank, the only one I knew of. That was a large city to me, a city larger than I could ever memorize. I went to the house with a few men inside it to train. Then I went back to bank, and repeated many times. I made a few friends, but I did not could not add them to my friends list. I remember...

I once ventured to the great lands of the barbarians. The barbarians village. There I made my first true friend. I was poor at that time, poorer than the poorest beggar. He gave me 100gp. I thought that I was rich. I ventured all the way to the village that borders the wilderness, Edgeville. I remember...

I labored hours to mine in the mines of Varrock East. I made my second second friend in the mines of Varrock. He helped me show the ways of the advanced miner, cllues to mine iron, and even gave me some free iron. He was so generous, I could never repay him. I remember...

I ventured far and wide to go back to Lumbridge, and smelted my ore. Back I went to Varrock, to the mightiest city known the Runescaper. I made my smelted bars into mighty weaponry and armour of bronze and iron. Then, I labored to get back to get to the holy city of Lumbridge, where I could smelt my ore. Friendship, then and now, was important to me. On my vast journeys across the world, I would make many friends. I remember...

One day, on my birthday, changed my whole Runescape career. April 3, 2003, or April 3, 2002, I cannot remember. I became a member. This was a most pleasant surprise. My brother knew I loved this game, and he played it also. He told my dad to get me membership. He signed me up as a member. I logged in, and he was beside me. I saw that I was where? In the land of the Members, in the fishing village of Catherby. "Wow! I cannot believe that I got trial membership!" My brother said, "No, you did not". He then did something members only(I think fletched a bow). I could not think why I had been given these special powers by Jagex. Then, he teleported me to Camelot. It hit me then. I cannot describe to you, the feeling I had that moment, for I cannot put it in words. I was the happiest child in the world that they. I remember...

The days went down in the Classic Age. It was soon to be ended, played by few who chose to stick to it, to support it. I, as a member, was probably one of the first thousand people to step on the Realm of RS2 BETA. I cannot tell you the feeling I had then, again. The only thing I can tell you this, was that I felt like a noob, a small ant, compared to the walls of Melzar's Maze. I thought that those were the walls of Falador, but I was wrong. I found the walls of Falador at last. The mighty walls of Faldor, made of the stone of our fathers. I remember, In Varrock. I had many kittens. I remember the castle, it's sheer size, and its glory. It's cannons, its walls. How can I forget? I remember, the Great Barrier Boulder that seperated the free lands of RS2 BETA from the uncompleted members land. I strived to make money in the new Kingdom of RS2. I labored hard, walked miles of squares, only to high alch three dragon longswords. But no! I must not give up! I worked hard to make money and weapons, and armours. But now?

Now, the shadow is young, decietful, and large It consumes us now, and we must fight back. The shadow cannot win Runescape, the shadow of the bad community will be overtaken, and peace should be restored. Now, this dimension is "Disloyal, enimity, and untrustworthy.

There was a dragon in me then. Definately. But now? After walking the lands for more than 5 years, after being a member for more than three years, after seeing the world renewed? Now, I am a source of knowledge. I know all that there is to know in this game.

The world needs dragons.

mercedesmanipulationn1cj8.png

~Joined RS December 2001

~Retired Mid-2007

I wish that F2P would at least get SOME dragons!

It would be kewl.... :(

POG3.jpg

Pretty much what Dragon said.

Thread terminated.

I guess that means I'm the thread Terminator?

No Tip.Iters were harmed in the making of this post.

=D> =D> =D> Finnally someone who thinks exactly equal to me!

I left play high graphics games just because the wonders of runescape. In other games i knew what was behind all but in runescape... I'm prud of remember when i was lost in draynor seareching for varrock, in those moments runescape was soo big or me, was a great sensation, the sensation what comes to you when you change of places, when you visit another country or when you just confront the unknow. But now runescape is just a room for all of us, everybody here know how to get to everyplace of runescape, and i'm sure when you become member (i'm actually member) the sensation will be eliminated very quick, because when you become member, you are impressed by the new worlds, clothing, armour, etc.. But in a few days you know all about it, where is the unexpected?

So, lets search the dragons! (no, he is not talking about elvarg).

Anyways in runescape there is a few things we can do, like wear a nice outfit all the day and speak random gibberish.

firmatemplariokz5.jpg

http://darkluniux.blogspot.com

Behold my blog! Thou shalt visit it and rejoice!