Sailing: From Banner to Reality?

Bugmeat

Don't see why sailing would be such a bad idea.

Can use smithing, crafting, construction to build a boat.

Then plunder other ships, at higher levels you can mount a cannon, and hire more people on your crew....Lol

Sounds more like a minigame to me. But sounds pretty cool.

And how could you train it?

Someone posted in another thread today an idea with boats for fishing. Just think about about what we could do with sailing skill, lets say Jagex puts in a port city where all your boats are docked, you can buy and/or build certain types of boats and the kinds and number of boats increase as you level. You can use those boats to sail to islands filled with exotic trees for woodcutting, use a boat for fishing and like mentioned earlier maybe pirate battles against other players!

The quote that somewhat inspired me:

[hide=Quote]

I'd rather see them make wortwhile updates that make people raise the skill because it is useful, not because it is easy xp or they want level 99.

There should be more challenging ways to raise skills that require the player to be more involved than simply click minimize RS, check back in 30 seconds and repeat, or skills that are constant clicking without actually doing anything.

Having said that I think mining fishing and firemaking shoudl get some updates.

I could imagine an update for fishing would be fishing from your own boat, and I don't mean anything like trawler fishing. The way I see it you're out there in the ocean or on a lake in a small rowboat peacefully fishing. You make the boat yourself out of your materials and the boat you can make depends on your fishing woodcutting and perhaps construction and crafting levels. Lower level boats would rot and start taking in water more quickly than a higher level boat. They would also not be so strong against a random event such as a wave which could send your boat tumbling away (agility and strength would help keep your balance.) Maybe a giant octopus could appear and attack you forcing you to either move or have a challenging fight (harpoon required) who knows what kind of loot you could get from such a mythical creature? Fishing from your boat wouldn't be all random events and sinking baots though. Your boat could hold lots of fish before returning to dock (amount of fish dependent on type of boat.) Perhaps some new types of fish could only be caught while on a boat or they can be caught much easier than fishing from the shore or a pier. Maybe at higher levels you can create larger boats that are able to hold several fishermen. Now you can go fishing off the coast of Karamja (or pretty much anywhere for that matter)and relax with your friends. Even higher levels could create even larger ships capable of carrying even more fishermen and have aother bonuses. Larger ships may even require people to serve as the crew, the captain, etc, while others are fishing but upon return everyone profits in reward and experience. This could even open up a whole new naval battle mini game which involves player made ships and crews going to battle against eachother. Do you have what it takes to be the captain of a ship or the admiral of a fleet or do you prefer to get your hands dirty and will work aboard as a seaman?

I could also imagine there being hidden dungeons or caves scattered around runescape. You will be able to locate these ancient locations through your skills, logi and knowledge of Runescape among other things. Inside these hidden and dungeons tombs and temples lies great treasure but centuries of neglect has made them near inaccessible and extremely unstable. It is up to you and your team to excavate and explore them. This would be no easy task. Requiring precision teamwork and time. Excavating and exploring the temple will call upon your mining construction thieving and agility skills greatly. Lower leveled miners would dig the general digsite, higher level miners will come in to do more precision digging to prevent damage or a complete collapse of the ground. Carpenters would build scaffolds and supports to reinforce the area. Once inside you will be able to find ancient treasures and artifacts some which could be equipped, others displayed in a museum or you may just decide it look sbetter in your house. It could also be possible using a wide variety of skills to completely renovate the site. Doing al this sounds like a long and tedious process-it is, but the experience gained and other rewards you can get from it make this a more than excellent way to train your skills. Who knows what other things you may uncover from new areas to new monsters and items, the possibilities are endless.

Ok I think I kind of got carried away with my post but I think I still made my point that I think skills should be able to be trained by actually doing things that are involved and challenging(at a decent rate, not like the current minigames), not just repetitively clicking the same rock or tree for three months until you're about to vomit. And I think those are pretty good ideas anyway and I could really imagine them being put in.

[/hide]
cool_sig1.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how sailing could ever become a skill. You may as well have unicorn riding as a skill.

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

there is no sailing skill

but uncooking is coming

look at the evidence! you can already uncook on the bobs island, though properly to stop you easily getting 99 in cooking and uncooking, uncooking costs stupid amounts of money to make at least 50gp per exp another money sink!

look and more proof look what was accidentally released.

uncooking-1.jpg

Yes it must have been hard copying the cooking skill and pasting at the bottom. Then erasing the 2 in "21" and putting "un" from "Runecrafting" there... :roll:

And I personally don't think Jagex really gives away anything unless they want to. I don't think they would have released info on a new skill at the same time they were releasing one...

I dont think he got it.

:P

fail :roll:

dont forgot to keep a close eye on jagex to check when uncooking is coming!

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

Sailing

1 - The skill required to operate and navigate a vessel; navigation.

"Congratulations! You are now level 99-wheel-turning-rope-tying-sail-raising-bucket-bailing!"

Thats cool. A skill about reading the same maps of the same ocean, and turning the wheel to get there.

With FM, Herblor, Fletch, and WC, there are at least different things to do. Different log types. Arrows for fletching, many different potions for herblor, FM, at least there are pyre and tinder-less firemaking.

Thats an extremely narrow view of sailing, You could just as easily say FM is just burning the same type of logs with the same tinderbox, where as there are various logs and the other stuff you've mentioned.

Sailing could be the same with various types of boats, destinations, events, activities. Boiling down an entire skill to something the dictionary defines it as really doesnt do it justice.

Anyway its irrelevant as theres no evidence that sailing will become a skill.

Theres a fine line between not listening and not caring,

I like to think I walk this line every day.

Pinning blame on Jagex is like trying to put pants on an old man.

You both know he needs them, but he'll just keep dancing around, avoiding them at all costs.

I don't like the idea of a sailing skill either...

melos2_zpsjnpxw8yx.jpg
"To do all that one is able to do, is to be a man; to do all that one would like to do, is to be a god." - Napoleon I

THERE IS NOT GOING TO BE A SAILING SKILL.

PROVE IT

There, that's the simple answer we need.

Dream on, they'll never make summoning <--- Surprise!

Face it, pking's gone, they won't do a thing about it. <--- Except for worlds dedicated to it!

Dragon plate? Try fantasy? <--- Reality!

I never made any of those claims...

Jagex have been talking about making Summoning for more than 5 years.

Jagex said they were going to make numerous substitutes to the loss of PvP.

Considering that all the Dragon Items were coming out bit by bit, plate had to come eventually.

Have Jagex mentioned sailing? No

Would it be of any use considering we already have plenty of transport around the place? Not really.

Do Jagex make utterly pointless skills? No.

tifsiggy.jpg

Thanks to Quarra for the awesome sig!

Xbox360 Gamertag = Tintin113

Woah guys look what I found! I'll check back to see if it is still there :lol:

kbtypomq8.png

pictar by me btw.

I looked on the website, its not there.

However, sailing doesn't sound bad.

Could be like navigating, dealing with wind and storms, and fighting off sea monsters.

Can't be any worse than summoning. (crosses fingers)

I'd prefer archeology myself though.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

I don't see how sailing could ever become a skill. You may as well have unicorn riding as a skill.

or unicorn summoning! as said previously, untill stated by Jagex or parts or it found in the catche there is no truth or false it is all speculation...i hope the next skill is soon though. it HAS been a year lol

Y_Z.png

While there is no real evidence for sailing, I could see it happening. I didn't like the sound of Hunter when it was first announced in the BTS, but it turned out to be a great skill. We'll see.

I THINK THE UNCOOKING PHOTO IS A SHOOP GUYS. I CAN TELL BY LOOKING AT THE PIXELS AND FROM SEEING A LOT OF SHOOPS IN MY TIME.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Although the current evidence doesn't look reliable, I wouldn't toss away the idea that sailing could be coming. Jagex has surprised us before.

And I honestly don't see how you people think sailing would be a stupid skill? Think outside the box, it could be more than just taking a boat from port to port. You could own and and personalize your own boat/ship, similar to your POH, and navigate it to convenient locations only available to those with sufficient sailing skills. You could pirate other ships, and engage in vicious sea battles. You could struggle to sail through violent storms and maelstroms. Reach distant lands and resources where you could expand on the current skills of Runescape.

Stupid. As opposed to lighting logs? Making potions? Cutting bows? Chopping wood?

I completely agree, people who say it would be awful have obviously not thought it through...You mentioned most of the ideas i had about sailing.

I mean think about it...sailing could incorporate many other skills, be LESS repetitve than most RS skills, and think how awesome it would be to have locations that you need a specific sailing level to reach...slayer island anyone?

I also think this whole boat thing from that varrock library whatever you call it event may have something to do with the skill...(btw that came out in july 2007 >.>)

I think sailing is a very real/high potential possibility that might make me buy back my membership.

While there is no real evidence for sailing, I could see it happening. I didn't like the sound of Hunter when it was first announced in the BTS, but it turned out to be a great skill. We'll see.

I THINK THE UNCOOKING PHOTO IS A SHOOP GUYS. I CAN TELL BY LOOKING AT THE PIXELS AND FROM SEEING A LOT OF SHOOPS IN MY TIME.

well done you have proved your immense experience by taking your time to point and tell me the uncooking skill which is just so idiotic it must be part of sailing is fake

i made it on paint in 2 minutes

how anyone could have been fooled by my argument is beyond me :roll:

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

How about Buccaneering (instead of the lame sounding sailing) it would use construction, thieving, range, melee, smithing, crafting, cooking and im sure you could tie it into other skills as well. Tasks set up like slayer would include fighting pirates, raiding seaports, controlling your men.(new rs ability being proved with mobilizing armies mini game) You could expand this idea greatly to include as stated above a mode for transport and fishing also.

Sailing (or equivalent, I personally prefer Seafaring) is a perfectly plausible idea for a new skill, but that doesn't mean it's going to be released any time soon. The highscore picture was shown to be a poor-quality fake, and ever since then people immediately think when they see a boat they somehow conclude that it's a teaser for a new skill.

P.S. I can't wait until they release the UnCooking skill. :lol:

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Honestly I don't know if it will come out, since almost all the evidence we have is simply speculation. Unless they have a really good hint about sailing, then I probably won't believe it until they say it in some news post or something of that sorts.

Again, the picture on the banner may have simply been a picture to make people coming to Runescape look, and say wow, since a websites appearance is one of the things that drags in new customers. It may have been from a quest scene or something like that as well.

99 Fletching 99 Attack 99 Constitution 99 Cooking 99 Strength

Gamertag: H8tebringer

h8tebringer-siggy-bloodskull-1.jpg

If Unicorn Riding became a skill, I would no life to 99.

Seriously though, sailing is an amazing idea. Think about it, it would be alot more then the click-and-afk skills that we have now, or ones that take absolutely no effort . It would be such an expansive thing, because it would be a skill that branched out to almost every skill you have already(maybe not summoning). If the sailing skill became a reality, you could voyage out to see and fish from your ship. Maybe even some new fish to be found. You could find new lands and get access to new(or existing) resources! More creatures to hunt, more trees to cut, more fish to...well fish and cook. More ores to mine and smith, and more poh portals to be found. There would be more monsters to fight, more quest expansion(sooner or later the map of Runescape will be a bunch of quest symbols), entirely new things to do. It would not only be a new skill, but one that could benifit you in so many ways that it's not even funny! It would be fun as well, considering it's a mixup to for the current things we have now.

If you don't think sailing is a good idea now, it is your choice. But I will say that it is being a bit narrow minded, because this skill has so many possibilities if you just open your eyes(and ears to comments).

That is of course if it is real ;)

brandonssx.png