200M in all Skills

Makilio

Just saying, but being efficient doesn't necessarily mean you do the best possible method down to the hour for everything, if I got 200m firemaking with yew logs and never missed a tick Id consider that more efficient than magics and burning like 500k exp/hr rate. Magics would be slightly faster but you really aren't efficient at all.

That's not efficiency, that's skill. Efficiency only determines which method is most suited, though you could of course take into account that you burn yew logs faster (which would surprise me as magic is exactly the same).

Post above me said there is no skill in rs. Disregarding him I would agree but my point was more that if you missed ticks with magics vs perfect with yews (2 different players) I would consider the one who burned yews without missing ticks a more efficient player than the one who used magics because the one who used magics essentially wasted money and time even if they got 200m at the same pace.

Naturally the person getting equal/slower xp with magics is being comparatively very slow, but considering that they'd burn yews at the same rate and that other person would burn magics at their rate, the person burning mage logs is still more efficient. That has nothing to do with what you consider 'pro', efficiency is defined.

Wow I finally understand why there is so much controversy over the whole efficiency debate... People are [bleep]ing stupid and have absolutely no clue what the word efficiency means. Thank you DESUPTY_NUMBER1 you have enlightened me to the thought process of you and the like.

efficiency |iˈfi sh ənsē|

noun ( pl. -cies)

the state or quality of being efficient : greater energy efficiency.

• an action designed to achieve this : to increase efficiencies and improve earnings.

• technical the ratio of the useful work performed by a machine or in a process to the total energy expended or heat taken in.

• short for efficiency apartment .

ORIGIN late 16th cent. (in the sense [the fact of being an efficient cause] ): from Latin efficientia, from efficere ‘accomplish’ (see effect ).

That's what my dictionary searchy bar says on my mac. Funny how it doesn't mention game ticks in any way.

Goals for 2012:

• Quest Cape
  • MAX

noun ( pl. -cies)

an action designed to achieve this : to increase efficiencies and improve earnings.

technical the ratio of the useful work performed by a machine or in a process to the total energy expended or heat taken in.

short for efficiency apartment .

ORIGIN late 16th cent. (in the sense [the fact of being an efficient cause] ): from Latin efficientia, from efficere accomplish (see effect ).

That's what my dictionary searchy bar says on my mac. Funny how it doesn't mention game ticks in any way.

Probably because its a mac

Legendknewl.png

noun ( pl. -cies)

• an action designed to achieve this : to increase efficiencies and improve earnings.

• technical the ratio of the useful work performed by a machine or in a process to the total energy expended or heat taken in.

• short for efficiency apartment .

ORIGIN late 16th cent. (in the sense [the fact of being an efficient cause] ): from Latin efficientia, from efficere ‘accomplish’ (see effect ).

Instead of looking up efficiency just to see it say "the state of being efficient" why not look up the word with the real definition lol.

ef·fi·cient   

[ih-fish-uhnt] Show IPA

–adjective

performing or functioning in the best possible manner with the least waste of time and effort; having and using requisite knowledge, skill, and industry; competent; capable: a reliable, efficient secretary.

satisfactory and economical to use: Our new air conditioner is more efficient than our old one.

producing an effect, as a cause; causative.

utilizing a particular commodity or product with maximum efficiency (usually used in combination): a fuel-efficient engine.

Not arguing against you but looking up efficient instead of efficiency actually gives a definition.

Inb4peopleoveranalyzethedefinitionsandapplythemtorunescape.

Also, it only put a red line under "Inb" therefor the rest of what I said is an actual word.

And lol @

Probably because its a mac

I actually switched to osx because I had to do homework and I can't play on osx because Apple doesn't know how to maximise their specs for their operating system (ironic or eerily topical?). And tbh I didn't read the definition, just copy pasted.

efficient |iˈfi sh ənt|

adjective

(esp. of a system or machine) achieving maximum productivity with minimum wasted effort or expense : fluorescent lamps are efficient at converting electricity into light. See note at effective .

• (of a person) working in a well-organized and competent way : an efficient administrator.

• [in combination ] preventing the wasteful use of a particular resource : an energy-efficient heating system.

There's the one you wanted.

Goals for 2012:

• Quest Cape
  • MAX

I've always considered runescape to be a casual game, not a competitive game. When I think of games that take "skill" I automatically think of quake, or counter strike 1.6 (source is lawls) or warsaw even. All these games take skill and tactics that some people can never achieve after years of playing. Especially games like wc3 and starcraft. Any game that holds competitions for money are worthy of being called a game that takes skill. Runescape is simply a game designed for people to grind. You're never really developing your game to make you a more elite/skilled player, you're more so just racking up experience. Back when I played cs 1.6 competitively, you could automatically spot who was better or worse than you just by the way they played whereas in RS the "better" players stand out because they have a paper hat on their head or are level 138 combat.

as much time as i've put into scape i gotta agree :P in scape thier is alot of variation in terms of exp gained/days played - i think my avg is like 72k lol most of the variation in that - if it varies then it would imply rs has some skillbased aspects...

1.) time started game and time when training skills/updates - this doesnt take skill except maybe "oh i should train cooking and wait til i do combat and use effigies on rc..." or "i wont train fishing til im done with faster skills they might update it"

2.) moneymakin/buyables - thier are methods that take skill to make money - merchanting/investing ect but alot of it is luckbased...

3.)click intensive/afk methods - some of the click intensive methods some people do better than others because better at timing/focusing on a task ect but in general if both are really into the method they should have simular rates...personally i hate most of the "tic methods"

4.) time spent ingame accually skilling - some people take longer doing quest/events than others, some take longer banking than others, some afk more than others, some chat more than others, some play minigames/pk...-these factors dont really indicate skill cept maybe questing if your noob like me lol....more motivation to not waste minutes of ingame time.

in terms of exp/month/day - just really has to do with someones tolerance for nolifing or rl situation - even when i didnt have any obligations irl i still had sleep + family around me to make me not wanna nolife but other people are more confortable playing rs longer per day consistantly. idk if that really takes skill or not but in general i dont think nolifin takes skill just haveing a good motivation for scape....

but compared to games that acccually take thinkin or insane reflexes rs is not one of them

and rs is not looked at that favorably in the gaming world....

PS: its 247 am thiers a red line every other word if you cant read this post lol...

StarViv.png

Efficiency as defined by stone:

The most outcome (cash/gp/other/etc) for the least expended (wasted time/time spent/cash spent/etc). If you are making gold at 5m/hr, and gaining an extra 100k xp/hr in a skill where otherwise the base speed would be 100k/hr (so 200k/hr) for a method that costs 2m/hr, you are doubling your speed for 2/5 what you can make in an hour. That is being more efficient. (whether or not its most efficient is another matter). Factoring in "fun"/ sustainability (without going insane on a certain grind etc) are separate factors, important to consider yes but not at all related to efficiency. If being inefficient enables me to spend 2x as long training a skill without stopping play time, and I have that time IRL to spend, for a method that is 3/5 as fast as being more efficient, then I am gaining more xp overall. That doesn't make me efficient. Don't say it is, you'd be wrong.

Its a cost/benefit analysis. For some people, 100% of the time being the most efficient is the most fun, and then the choice is clear, be efficient. Some people pick and choose, knowing that being efficient is faster, but they sacrifice some speed or money to get their goal faster, or in a more enjoyable/sustainable way. Others just don't get a crap and play however they want. I don't think any one of these is "right" or "wrong" as those as more moral terms. However, I think a person saying that their way is "better" when its not the most efficient, unless they point out or state somehow (instead of just inferring) that they are giving up efficiency to have more fun is just plain illogical. Maybe you enjoy it more, that doesn't make it better. Slaying with a DFS is never "good" in terms of efficiency (assuming max gear etc) but if using a DFS is what makes you slay rather then quit playing, use a DFS. Just don't think its better, and expect people to laugh, as you'll appear to be a noob.

TL;DR-efficiency, outside of the method of calculating xp/hr gp/hr etc (scientific) is NOT open for debate. When efficiency should be utilized, and how, is.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Efficiency as defined by stone:

The most outcome (cash/gp/other/etc) for the least expended (wasted time/time spent/cash spent/etc). If you are making gold at 5m/hr, and gaining an extra 100k xp/hr in a skill where otherwise the base speed would be 100k/hr (so 200k/hr) for a method that costs 2m/hr, you are doubling your speed for 2/5 what you can make in an hour. That is being more efficient. (whether or not its most efficient is another matter). Factoring in "fun"/ sustainability (without going insane on a certain grind etc) are separate factors, important to consider yes but not at all related to efficiency. If being inefficient enables me to spend 2x as long training a skill without stopping play time, and I have that time IRL to spend, for a method that is 3/5 as fast as being more efficient, then I am gaining more xp overall. That doesn't make me efficient. Don't say it is, you'd be wrong.

Its a cost/benefit analysis. For some people, 100% of the time being the most efficient is the most fun, and then the choice is clear, be efficient. Some people pick and choose, knowing that being efficient is faster, but they sacrifice some speed or money to get their goal faster, or in a more enjoyable/sustainable way. Others just don't get a crap and play however they want. I don't think any one of these is "right" or "wrong" as those as more moral terms. However, I think a person saying that their way is "better" when its not the most efficient, unless they point out or state somehow (instead of just inferring) that they are giving up efficiency to have more fun is just plain illogical. Maybe you enjoy it more, that doesn't make it better. Slaying with a DFS is never "good" in terms of efficiency (assuming max gear etc) but if using a DFS is what makes you slay rather then quit playing, use a DFS. Just don't think its better, and expect people to laugh, as you'll appear to be a noob.

TL;DR-efficiency, outside of the method of calculating xp/hr gp/hr etc (scientific) is NOT open for debate. When efficiency should be utilized, and how, is.

yea exactly the efficient method doesnt calculate fun/irl sustainability ect but still the most efficient way but knowing the most efficient method isnt really "skill" just reading and practicing it

StarViv.png

Just saying, but being efficient doesn't necessarily mean you do the best possible method down to the hour for everything, if I got 200m firemaking with yew logs and never missed a tick Id consider that more efficient than magics and burning like 500k exp/hr rate. Magics would be slightly faster but you really aren't efficient at all.

That's not efficiency, that's skill. Efficiency only determines which method is most suited, though you could of course take into account that you burn yew logs faster (which would surprise me as magic is exactly the same).

Post above me said there is no skill in rs. Disregarding him I would agree but my point was more that if you missed ticks with magics vs perfect with yews (2 different players) I would consider the one who burned yews without missing ticks a more efficient player than the one who used magics because the one who used magics essentially wasted money and time even if they got 200m at the same pace.

Naturally the person getting equal/slower xp with magics is being comparatively very slow, but considering that they'd burn yews at the same rate and that other person would burn magics at their rate, the person burning mage logs is still more efficient. That has nothing to do with what you consider 'pro', efficiency is defined.

Wow I finally understand why there is so much controversy over the whole efficiency debate... People are [bleep]ing stupid and have absolutely no clue what the word efficiency means. Thank you DESUPTY_NUMBER1 you have enlightened me to the thought process of you and the like.

Based on the definion Im still wondering why my interpretation could be wrong. Would you say that neither player is more efficient in that case? But yes, many people I know enjoy trying to not miss ticks while they play, so whether that is "pro" or "efficient" idk I guess.

"DESUPTY" WILL HAVE 5B EXP (200M ALL SKILLS) BY JANUARY 1ST 2012

@Desuptycapslock

Your interpretation is wrong because you do not get to "consider" someone more efficient.

"pro" and "efficient" are totally different. Pro is subjective (well, not really, it means you get paid to perform the activity in question, but not in the sense it is used in Runescape, where it means to be considered very good at the game in one of a multitude of possible ways) but efficiency is not up for discussion. Efficiency is minimising wasted time, and maximising exp gain for time spent, this is not necessarily purely exp/hr, but also taking into account other things like how you make the money to spend on costly skilling methods and all other considerations that affect time spent to gain the exp.

I believe this is the situation you were talking about before, with one player going max rate with Yews vs another player burning Magics but wasting ticks while doing so and thus lowering their exp rate to equal that of the max rate Yew burner. In my discussion of the situation the number are purely for example purposes and have no basis in real RS possibilities.

So,

If someone got 200m FM in 400 hours FMing time, burning Yews and spending say 400m on the logs, and another player got 200m FM in an equal 400 hours FMing time, burning Magics and spending say 800m on the logs, it may appear that the Yew burner can easily be seen to be the more efficient. However, if the time that the Yew burner spent to acquire the 400m exceeds the time that it took the Magic burner to acquire his 800m, say the Yew burner hunted bosses and took 200 hours to make 400m, whereas the Magic burner merchanted rares and received donations and took only 100 hours to make his 800m, then the Yew burner spent 600 hours in total, between both making the money and FMing, and the Magic burner spent 500 hours in total, between both making the money and FMing, therefore the tick missing (not "pro" in most peoples opinions) Magic burner would be the more efficient player, as his increased rate of money making more than made up for his lower rate of logs/hr burned.

In the specific example you gave, which made no mention of time spent making the money, the only fair assumption to make regarding the money situation is that both players have more than enough money than they will ever need and acquired it in 0 hours. In that case which you gave, the players would be equally efficient. Your point about the Yew burner saving money is only relevant if the Magic burner spent more hours making the 800m than the Yew burner spent making his 400m. - Once again these numbers are for example purposes only, please don't bother pointing out that it's unlikely a player who would slack their ass off burning Magics at only the max rate possible with Yews would make money twice as fast as someone who would do perfect hours with Yews.

Note: Strictly speaking, although there is no way on this or any other earth I can be bothered doing so, effigies would come into the total efficiency calculation of this situation. Since effigies it is now necessary for a truly accurate efficiency calculation (regarding the goal of 200m all skills, as every post in this thread should be) to calculate how many hours each player wasted of saved hours making money and FMing, by capping their FM exp and denying themselves the effigy exp in it. The time value wasted by not utilising FM effigies of course must be compared to the time saved in Cooking by now using the effigies on that. The amount of melee and ranged exp the players already have is also relevant to the calculation, as capping melee and ranged exp will affect the overall efficiency of effigy gathering methods. Damn effigies have made the game complicated.

Also, I apologise if my wording in this post sounds pretentious or just plain weird, studying/writing essays makes me think of everything in a studying/writing essays type way for a while.

@Suomi

This picture made me smile. I love the idea that Jagex would welcome you on stage or something at your first RuneFest, and either they or you could tell everyone that the reason you could not attend the previous RuneFests was that you were too busy playing RS.

I think that using the best possible resources that are available to YOU and skilling in your own pace that YOU are capable of doing is efficient. For example I can train like Zarfot if I wanted but I slack off a bit because I want to. You can call me inefficient but you can just take a look at runetracker and my xp gains which I manage while attending high school every day. I still get good xp/hr and I honestly have never obsessed about it as some people in this thread do.

Makaveli_93.png

I think that using the best possible resources that are available to YOU and skilling in your own pace that YOU are capable of doing is efficient. For example I can train like Zarfot if I wanted but I slack off a bit because I want to. You can call me inefficient but you can just take a look at runetracker and my xp gains which I manage while attending high school every day. I still get good xp/hr and I honestly have never obsessed about it as some people in this thread do.

I think the problem here is that you can call multiple ways efficient, but one is more efficient then the other. For example burning yew logs and magic logs can both be efficient but burning magic logs is more efficient then yew logs.

Gratz to suomi on 3,5B :) will take a while to 4B if suomi continues to do crawlers :P

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

I think the problem here is that you can call multiple ways efficient, but one is more efficient then the other. For example burning yew logs and magic logs can both be efficient but burning magic logs is more efficient then yew logs.

Gratz to suomi on 3,5B :) will take a while to 4B if suomi continues to do crawlers :P

It's more efficient if you have a good money making method. If someone who is poor and can only make like 1m/hr then it wouldn't be smart for him to burn mage logs.

Makaveli_93.png

player 1, burning willow logs perfectly.

player 2. burning magic logs perfectly.

both players are efficient, cost and amount of xp has nothing to do with it.

sorry if this has no relevance i didnt read every post.

Also efficiency has an other problem, if your goal is most xp per hour, player 2 is more efficient. But if your goal is to DIY FM (and have already 200m wcing) and you don't have magic logs but do have willow logs player 1 would be more efficient.

So efficiency is based on what goal you want to achieve the most quick/cost-less etc. way

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

PAGE WITH WALLS OF TEXT CRITS YOU FOR 10000000K

on topic: Congratulations @Dragonseance on 170M slayer xp!

Free.png

@Dragonseance #1 to 200m all.

www.twitter.com/dragonseance

[spoiler=Things related to gemeos2 are off topic and therefore should be put in spoiler tags]http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/358f8m/

lol, but as the first post indicates, there should be no posts at all like that ;) Also Gemeos you feelings do not give you the rights to spam this topic with your 200m party and other off-topic pictures.

Retired item crew

Also efficiency has an other problem, if your goal is most xp per hour, player 2 is more efficient. But if your goal is to DIY FM (and have already 200m wcing) and you don't have magic logs but do have willow logs player 1 would be more efficient.

So efficiency is based on what goal you want to achieve the most quick/cost-less etc. way

But aren't we discussing 200M in all skills here?

so if you aren't efficient in that direction you aren't efficient for this thread.

M3DO.png

Mamiću odlazi!

But aren't we discussing 200M in all skills here?

so if you aren't efficient in that direction you aren't efficient for this thread.

We are discussing 200M xp in all skills here indeed, but not everyones goal is to get it the quickest way, even then it is not even the goal to many top players. We are discussing when, how and who will reach 200M xp in all skills and also the top 15. So while discussing about things being the most efficient to reach 200M xp in all skills is not wrong, it is wrong to assume that efficiency means only that and that other ways of being efficient should not be talked about here. For example it would be efficient to not do castle wars at all if you want to reach 200M xp in all skills. But if you are going for the trimmed completionist cape it could be more efficient to do castle wars first (if effigies would not exist and you don't need to kill monsters for money).

Retired item crew

If your goal is DIY FM, then your goal is to be inefficient at gaining exp in Runescape. You may be "efficiently" achieving your goal. However you are not being "efficient".

Being "efficient", particularly in this thread, is not that subjective. If you can only make 1m/hr, you are being inefficient in your money making, and you will remain inefficient in your money making until you are acquiring money at the maximum possible rate. (therefore all moneymaking is inefficient, just spinning bowstrings is far more inefficient than receiving 1m+ donations)

If you are not making the fastest possible experience gains, you are being at least partially inefficient, on some level.

If your goal is DIY FM, then your goal is to be inefficient at gaining exp in Runescape. You may be "efficiently" achieving your goal. However you are not being "efficient".

Being "efficient", particularly in this thread, is not that subjective. If you can only make 1m/hr, you are being inefficient in your money making, and you will remain inefficient in your money making until you are acquiring money at the maximum possible rate. (therefore all moneymaking is inefficient, just spinning bowstrings is far more inefficient than receiving 1m+ donations)

If you are not making the fastest possible experience gains, you are being at least partially inefficient, on some level.

That still is about that you take gaining xp as fast as possible as being efficient. As described in my post above that is not the only type of efficiency we are talking about. Efficiency is indeed not subjective, but it depends on your goal. And I think getting the trim completionist cape would be the goal of many top players but is not efficient if you are only going for 200M xp in all skills.

Also your last statement, you can be efficient with 180k xp/h in a skill and with 190k xp/h but the one with 190k xp/h would be more efficient. Otherwise I think no-one in runescape would be efficient because it is nearly impossible for most skills to get the highest xp rates for a long time.

Retired item crew