Real life help & advice

Abc1230

When you're making a resume, I'd also recommend to pay at least some attention to the way you present yourself (and your skills/talents/achievements). Think about it. Most people just do the same, boring, bland, unoriginal thing everyone else does when it comes to making a resume, without realising that they do it. When you're applying for a job and the person in charge of sollicitations receives a resume that looks almost exactly like the dozens of other resumes he's received so far, chances are he won't be very much interested in the contents. A resume that, at first sight, looks like the person that made it actually paid attention to detail, layout and appearance is more likely to catch his interest. Initial appearances can be very important.

As far as the contents of the resume are concerned (your skills and talents), I'd say this is a matter of poetic licence. Don't make up blatant lies about yourself, but don't be afraid to embellish a little.

In fact, it's gotten to the point where the employers themselves write out job applications with pretty absurd requirements. For example, my employer recently wrote out a job application for the position of secretary (=purely administrative work). It required being fluent in four different languages (Dutch, English, French, German), being a 'dynamic' and 'flexible' individual (read: no 9/5 job but moving hours and alot of overtime), you had to be good in a team but perform well alone as well. At least four years of experience in a similar job were required to apply. Oh, and "having a PhD is an advantage". The pay, however, was on the level of someone who'd just graduated high school (!), with zero extra benefits (no company car etc.). To ask that level of competence for that amount of pay is utterly ridiculous.

The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is for Good Men to do Nothing. (Edmund Burke)

[hide=Quote pyramid]

In a previous version of Firefox to the one I'm currently using (9.0.1) it was possible to type a word into the URL bar and it would automatically generate a Google search, or go straight to the page if it's obvious what you were looking for. "BBC" would go to "www.bbc.co.uk", "youtube" to "www.youtube.com" etc.

Is there any way of restoring that tool into version 9.0.1?

They got rid of that? That was actually one of the very few things I missed when moving to Chrome. :(

[/hide]

It still does that for me, although that going straight to the page has only rarely worked for me anyway :/

It comes up with the following message when I type "bbc" into the address bar:

File not found

Firefox can't find the file at jar:file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Mozilla Firefox/omni.jar!/chrome/en-GB/locale/browser-region/region.propertiesbbc.

* Check the file name for capitalisation or other typing errors.
* Check to see if the file was moved, renamed or deleted.

I'll try re-installing the whole thing.

EDIT: No, still not working.

Hmmm....I know I've had that error at one point...but not sure if I did anything to fix it or it fixed with an update...let me try to find out.

Okay, try this:

Type "about:config" into your address bar. It tells you to be careful(you should, don't change anything on a whim ;))

next to "filter", type in "keyword" and press enter. Look for the line that says "keyword.enabled". It should say that it's type is boolean, and whether it's true or false.

If this is on false, double click the line to make it true, this will activate this system. If it says true already...then the problem is somewhere else. To be sure, try deactivating and activating it again.

Also look at the "Keyworld URL" line...this should probably say "http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=" for the URL that the address bar uses for the search. If not, it should at least be another search engine.

I got the info from these pages:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Location_Bar_Search

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Keyword.URL

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Keyword.enabled

If this doesn't fix the problem, you might want to look around for related articles as well

In fact, it's gotten to the point where the employers themselves write out job applications with pretty absurd requirements. For example, my employer recently wrote out a job application for the position of secretary (=purely administrative work). It required being fluent in four different languages (Dutch, English, French, German), being a 'dynamic' and 'flexible' individual (read: no 9/5 job but moving hours and alot of overtime), you had to be good in a team but perform well alone as well. At least four years of experience in a similar job were required to apply. Oh, and "having a PhD is an advantage". The pay, however, was on the level of someone who'd just graduated high school (!), with zero extra benefits (no company car etc.). To ask that level of competence for that amount of pay is utterly ridiculous.

And do you know why do they do this for? To limit the number of applicants? Devaluation of degrees? Heads up their asses?

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

[hide=Quote pyramid]

In a previous version of Firefox to the one I'm currently using (9.0.1) it was possible to type a word into the URL bar and it would automatically generate a Google search, or go straight to the page if it's obvious what you were looking for. "BBC" would go to "www.bbc.co.uk", "youtube" to "www.youtube.com" etc.

They got rid of that? That was actually one of the very few things I missed when moving to Chrome. :(

It still does that for me, although that going straight to the page has only rarely worked for me anyway :/

File not found

Firefox can't find the file at jar:file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Mozilla Firefox/omni.jar!/chrome/en-GB/locale/browser-region/region.propertiesbbc.

Hmmm....I know I've had that error at one point...but not sure if I did anything to fix it or it fixed with an update...let me try to find out.

Okay, try this:

Type "about:config" into your address bar. It tells you to be careful(you should, don't change anything on a whim ;))

next to "filter", type in "keyword" and press enter. Look for the line that says "keyword.enabled". It should say that it's type is boolean, and whether it's true or false.

If this is on false, double click the line to make it true, this will activate this system. If it says true already...then the problem is somewhere else. To be sure, try deactivating and activating it again.

Also look at the "Keyworld URL" line...this should probably say "http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=" for the URL that the address bar uses for the search. If not, it should at least be another search engine.

http://kb.mozillazin...tion_Bar_Search

http://kb.mozillazin...Keyword.enabled

If this doesn't fix the problem, you might want to look around for related articles as well[/hide]

Keyword URL line had "chrome://browser-region/locale/region.properties" instead of the URL you provided. It's working again as it was before now I've changed it. Thanks. :thumbup:

[hide=Quote pyramid]

File not found

Okay, try this:

http://kb.mozillazin...tion_Bar_Search

http://kb.mozillazin...Keyword.enabled

If this doesn't fix the problem, you might want to look around for related articles as well[/hide]

Keyword URL line had "chrome://browser-region/locale/region.properties" instead of the URL you provided. It's working again as it was before now I've changed it. Thanks. :thumbup:

glad I could help :)

• 3 weeks later...

ALOT has been happening here at my house, not just my sister but also dad's alcohol abuse. Ignoring the story now, I wondering How exactly does one learn to meditate? Whats the most common methods and does it really work? I know a few TIF'ers meditate and does it help clear the anger and other emotions? just lately I seem to be really pent up.

Popoto.~<3

ALOT has been happening here at my house, not just my sister but also dad's alcohol abuse. Ignoring the story now, I wondering How exactly does one learn to meditate? Whats the most common methods and does it really work? I know a few TIF'ers meditate and does it help clear the anger and other emotions? just lately I seem to be really pent up.

Lift weights instead. Gives you tons of benefits and it calms you (repetitive motions, makes you pay just enough attention to keep your mind off stuff, releases stress and energy, etc.). Or try googling meditation if you want, I'm sure you can find a place more dedicated to it.

PM me for fitocracy invite

Lift weights instead.

This. You'd be surprised how good you'll feel after a day or two.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

• 3 weeks later...

Bringing up the previous topic of meditation: What is the most effective method? I tried it last night, and it seemed like it helped. I want to start living more calmly (Don't know if that make sense, but whatever) and with less stress, and it seems like meditation could help with that. Any recommendations?

• 3 months later...

A karate studio I went to once did meditation, so here're my two cents:

Meditation is just relaxing and clearing your mind for a while. The sitting position is up to you (we kneeled) entirely.

A great way to help with clearing your mind is doing a little bit of exercise before and after (can even be as simple as some push-ups). Tiring yourself out a tad helps your mind cool it.

What we did was jumping jacks, then a brief mediation then finished warm-ups (push-ups, etc) and the rest of the class and then had a meditation at the end of class to calm ourselves after the exercise.

So yeah, a bit of exercise will help you meditate well. And also exercise comes with the side benefit of making you happier (endorphin) and of course improving your physical condition.

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

Is anybody here from the UK and between the ages of 16-18? If so, what AS exams are being held of 24th of May? Answer ASAP needed please.

Dunno if you've researched this yourself by now but all examination boards will post exam dates on each respective website.

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

Is anybody here from the UK and between the ages of 16-18? If so, what AS exams are being held of 24th of May? Answer ASAP needed please.

Dunno if you've researched this yourself by now but all examination boards will post exam dates on each respective website.

Could you link me please? I'm having trouble finding them.

AQA, OCR and Edexcel

qTLQRuS.png

What is a good Summer job someone around 14 could get? I live in a semi-rural area with some big farms and have some ideas. I don't mind hard or long work, actually I enjoy it :shades: At any rate I already mow a couple of lawns which make me somewhere between 130-180 dollars a month give or take, plus I usually do some haying which makes me a little bit but am looking for ideas so that I can get something a little more stable and income generating.

If you want to know why I want money its because I need to make any major purchases, EX video games, computers, tablets, etc..., and I am looking to upgrade a few of these things and expand my computer collection, and possibly build a new gaming computer.

What is a good Summer job someone around 14 could get? I live in a semi-rural area with some big farms and have some ideas. I don't mind hard or long work, actually I enjoy it :shades: At any rate I already mow a couple of lawns which make me somewhere between 130-180 dollars a month give or take, plus I usually do some haying which makes me a little bit but am looking for ideas so that I can get something a little more stable and income generating.

If you want to know why I want money its because I need to make any major purchases, EX video games, computers, tablets, etc..., and I am looking to upgrade a few of these things and expand my computer collection, and possibly build a new gaming computer.

Lawns/snow shoveling is good at your age. Not sure about farms, but most "official businesses", at least where I'm from, tend to prefer people at least 16 years old.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Lawns/snow shoveling is good at your age. Not sure about farms, but most "official businesses", at least where I'm from, tend to prefer people at least 16 years old.

I'm pretty sure that they aren't even allowed to hire anyone under the age of 15-16 where I live.

@ impalasforpeace

Why would anyone *ever* want to prevent people from dying a natural death? Just think of how many more suicides there would be.

How do you guys deal with death?

It depends on your beliefs, what your own ideas about what could be called the afterlife are. Some people choose to mourn. I look at it differently. That person had their time, and despite how they used it, good, bad, its over for them. To me there's no use in crying over spilt milk, it's happened and you can't go back in time to change that.

If they were close to you, honor their life choices and take what you believe they did right and apply it to your own life.

Screenshot2011-08-18at14818PM-1.png

For summer work, I was 10 when I first went to work to a dairy farm. That was abroad and I went with my mum though. But now I am 18 and I am doing this full-time in summer, but I earn 2000 euros per month aswell. And the job isn't back-breaking.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

I think everyone has their own concepts of death and beliefs about what happens after death. Naturally this means different people adopt different coping strategies as a response to death. Some strategies are better than others, while a select few are destructive and they don't help the grieving person to move on. If I was to take a broad-spectrum view on people who I know have grieved, I'd say the key turning moment is accepting that death, at least in this lifetime, is a one way process, and final. They won't see their loved one again, so it doesn't help to fantasise otherwise. Once they realised that, they were 'over the hump' in terms of the grieving process.

When my mother died when I was aged 9, my dad sent us to school the next day as usual. When my grandparents both died within a year of each other, I went to college the next day as usual. I know they wouldn't have wanted me to stop on their behalf, so I didn't, and got on with my own life. Nowadays when I'm work and one of our clients dies (I work as a carer), I'm upset of course, however I feel more sorry for their family, and I remind myself that there's still a good few dozen more people I need to look out for.

Haven't had any major deaths except for my own cat to go through. When I was younger I used to cry when it happened, get upset. Now as unfortunate as it is with my cat that just died (13 years old and I had him the entire time :( ) I saw it coming and knew it was going to happen, didn't have any reaction that I can think of whatsoever. I saw it coming and knew it was going to happen so I mentally made the preperations and waited for it to happen.

• 2 weeks later...

So I have two questions (science-ish stuff):

Is sleep cumulative? If you sleep 7 hours, then tack on another 1 hour after you've woken up for ~1 min (like to turn your alarm off or something), will you have effectively slept 8 hours, or 7 hours, or 1 hour?

Secondly, out of curiosity, I find that air-conditioned rooms (and the refrigerator too) often make popping noises seemingly anywhere at random intervals (sounds a little like cracking your knuckles). Why does this happen?

I'm fairly certain that I can google these to some extent but all the results I've seen so far are not exactly what I was looking for.